After last weeks event, I can't get myself to play WvW anymore...

hobotnicax.7918

I've been a WvW player since beta weekends and last week has been the most fun I've had since 1st WvW Season on SFR. But now that it's over, I just can't get myself to play WvW anymore and it's only been a couple of days. It should be made permanent, maybe even only on Desert map to get people to actually play there (as the map is a pile of garbage)... a man can dream.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@hobotnicax.7918 said:I've been a WvW player since beta weekends and last week has been the most fun I've had since 1st WvW Season on SFR. But now that it's over, I just can't get myself to play WvW anymore and it's only been a couple of days. It should be made permanent, maybe even only on Desert map to get people to actually play there (as the map is a pile of garbage)... a man can dream.

i think ebg would be better for no downstate if it is permanent on one map. as borderlands have a home advantage and the desert has probably the biggest home advantage as it is not played as much and i highly doubt such a change would cause it to be played more, some people simply dont like the map.also downstate is less an issue on desert map as the groups you fight there do not grow as fast in size and you can often use the envoirement more to your advantage

@MUDse.7623 said:

@hobotnicax.7918 said:I've been a WvW player since beta weekends and last week has been the most fun I've had since 1st WvW Season on SFR. But now that it's over, I just can't get myself to play WvW anymore and it's only been a couple of days. It should be made permanent, maybe even only on Desert map to get people to actually play there (as the map is a pile of garbage)... a man can dream.

i think ebg would be better for no downstate if it is permanent on one map. as borderlands have a home advantage and the desert has probably the biggest home advantage as it is not played as much and i highly doubt such a change would cause it to be played more, some people simply dont like the map.also downstate is less an issue on desert map as the groups you fight there do not grow as fast in size and you can often use the envoirement more to your advantage

It would make the ques on EBG terrible though :( For sure everyone wants to fight if this is permanent there.

@aspirine.5839 said:

It would make the ques on EBG terrible though :( For sure everyone wants to fight if this is permanent there.

isnt it already like that?

@XenesisII.1540 said:Should have it activated when you have the outnumbered buff, and change it so your finisher is automatically used on a kill.

the issue is that the outnumbered buff doesnt mean your outnumbered in your encounter. just that you are outnumbered on the map. if the outnumbered buff was per map part (e.g. outnumbered in this camp or outnumbered around this tower) and ofc not reshreshed as slow as now, then this would be a good idea. as for the outnumbered pips, just grant them if you killed anyone during that tick with outnumbered buff.

true, most funny week since game release. i will miss it...the Moment when small scale get buffed while blobs get nerfed.

Oh really? WvW without no-downed state is that bad for you huh? Anyway see you in WvW later : D

I find it very amusing that people have played the game for 6 years... and then after 1 week of no downed state its like "nope cant play anymore its not fun!". What where you doing for six years then? Not having fun?

When I play now I sometimes see the advantages of no downed state while raging over them ressing, true - and just like we figured out before the event, it makes good players on meta builds far better with far easier fights so of course a certain type of people love it - but the combat now is still as exciting as ever, fights lasting longer and having the need to tactically secure or deny a stomp, or res under pressure. Improvements could be made, sure (just like it has been done in the past when they made downed 100x better in sPvP/WvW using 1:1) but downed state IMO is one of the defining features of GW2 combat. It adds flex for skill, class choice, build choice and makes players think about helping each other rather than every dps ganker for themselves. Its one of the things that has built the friendly community we have today. Without it, GW2 isnt GW2.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:I find it very amusing that people have played the game for 6 years... and then after 1 week of no downed state its like "nope cant play anymore its not fun!". What where you doing for six years then? Not having fun?

When I play now I sometimes see the advantages of no downed state while raging over them ressing, true - and just like we figured out before the event, it makes good players on meta builds far better with far easier fights so of course a certain type of people love it - but the combat now is still as exciting as ever, fights lasting longer and having the need to tactically secure or deny a stomp, or res under pressure. Improvements could be made, sure (just like it has been done in the past when they made downed 100x better in sPvP/WvW using 1:1) but downed state IMO is one of the defining features of GW2 combat. It adds flex for skill, class choice, build choice and makes players think about helping each other rather than every dps ganker for themselves. Its one of the things that has built the friendly community we have today. Without it, GW2 isnt GW2.

downstate once in a fight is good this way you can help a friend survive a suprise gank etc. but the frequency people can go back up from downed is just too high, might be suited for open world pve were people in greens die onehit to some worldboss on each attack but in WvW its is unlikely someone that is being supported is going to die 4 times within a minute. i would love two changes to downstate : when rally/rezzed remove all condis to prevent instant dropping on rally and then limit to 1 rally / res per minute or per in combat. then you can still help your friend up but he can no longer drop once every 20s without dying.while i allways suspected that i could kill way more without downstate, i now am sure about that after last week. that why when i run 1 vs 3+ and they got a supporter i already dont want to fight em anymore cause i know it will be endless or till either the supporter fails or dies first. and try to outnumbered kill a supporter while trying to kite his mates..possible but way harder then if there was an option to kill the others first.

Down state was a fiesta for insta-gib stealth players who got their jollies from using builds that face roll opponents who can't see them coming.

It also made group play less fun for support classes- less loot, less fun and more chance of some random macro user downing you from stealth while you blinked.

Much more fun for some classes, much worse for others.

Nothing to do with skill level at all- gank artists still gankers, just overly rewarded for being able to macro a instant downed.

I agree with the above poster though, should be a timer on after first downed so you instantly die after second down in a minute, as long as all condis, etc are cleared when you res and invulnerable for 5 seconds after you rally (to stop instantly being instantly gibbed again).

@MUDse.7623 said:

@"Dawdler.8521" said:I find it very amusing that people have played the game for 6 years... and then after 1 week of no downed state its like "nope cant play anymore its not fun!". What where you doing for
six years
then? Not having fun?

When I play now I sometimes see the advantages of no downed state while raging over them ressing, true - and just like we figured out before the event, it makes good players on meta builds far better with far easier fights so
of course
a certain type of people love it - but the combat now is still as exciting as ever, fights lasting longer and having the need to tactically secure or deny a stomp, or res under pressure. Improvements could be made, sure (just like it has been done in the past when they made downed 100x better in sPvP/WvW using 1:1) but downed state IMO is one of the defining features of GW2 combat. It adds flex for skill, class choice, build choice and makes players think about helping each other rather than every dps ganker for themselves. Its one of the things that has built the friendly community we have today. Without it, GW2 isnt GW2.

downstate once in a fight is good this way you can help a friend survive a suprise gank etc. but the frequency people can go back up from downed is just too high, might be suited for open world pve were people in greens die onehit to some worldboss on each attack but in WvW its is unlikely someone that is being supported is going to die 4 times within a minute. i would love two changes to downstate : when rally/rezzed remove all condis to prevent instant dropping on rally and then limit to 1 rally / res per minute or per in combat. then you can still help your friend up but he can no longer drop once every 20s without dying.while i allways suspected that i could kill way more without downstate, i now am sure about that after last week. that why when i run 1 vs 3+ and they got a supporter i already dont want to fight em anymore cause i know it will be endless or till either the supporter fails or dies first. and try to outnumbered kill a supporter while trying to kite his mates..possible but way harder then if there was an option to kill the others first.

Yes and as I said, improvements can be made. Just something as simple as changing finishing from 3.5s channel to say 2.5s would make a huge difference to manual stomps in small scale. Removing rally on enemy death. Removing the lowering hp on downed and making it a negative debuff instead (as you say, go down again within 1m and you die). Hell you can even improve upon it by adding things instead of just plain nerfing it. Make blast finishers instantly kill people if they go down on it. Make new use of the ruins for intermittent no-downed-state (bloodlust mode). Etc and so on.

There are so many options.

@MUDse.7623 said:

i think ebg would be better for no downstate if it is permanent on one map. [...]

No.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:I find it very amusing that people have played the game for 6 years... and then after 1 week of no downed state its like "nope cant play anymore its not fun!". What where you doing for six years then? Not having fun?

Yeah I think it's blown out of proportion. Anyway one thing to come out of no downed state that was a positive in my eyes was that it trained people to deal with downed states better. I see better coordination now, and not so much running like chickens, but I suppose it also depends on what server you're playing on/against and veteran/new players, but I see the effects overall. Good training!

I was always skeptical about the people who endlessly called for removing down state here - I was actually prepared to dislike it. But after last week I agree with the OP and would give every vote I had toward keeping it. It was way more fun, required you to have better mastery of your character, and actually made it possible to deal with some of the zergs/blobs.

Fighting an uncoordinated zerg with smaller numbers, you had a chance with NDS. You could strategically thin them out, stay alive yourself with skill, and perhaps eventually win. With down state, the zerg can keep their numbers up regardless of the skill of their players - even the bad players are essentially just meat shields to soak up damage, and as long as they can be rallybotted it's no big deal. And forget about trying to beat a coordinated/guild raid zerg. They run complementary builds designed to prevent anyone from dying; unless you have a similarly sized and organized force there's nothing you can do to stop them.

Saw this again just last night - guild came to our side and entered T3 Rogues Quarry. It was called out and people responded. The response was good, we had similar numbers and had them completely penned in. That should be a wipe for them or at least cost them some players on the way out. They were able to resbot in a clump all the way back into dredge and into their third without losing a single player. Every down was pulled in with a necro and immediately brought to full health.

See, the reason people are saying how they can't get into wvw anymore now is because they experienced it a better way. Before it was theoretical - "maybe it would be better, but I'm happy enough with what we have." Now the scales are off our eyes and we know it can be better; once you've tried it that way, it's even more insulting how broken the existing mode is to favoring blob tactics.

Alliance restructuring + No down state and we might have a viable game mode on our hands again.

I've been playing for about 3 years and played WvW for the first time during the no down state week. It was awesome and wish I'd played sooner. Played again last night for the first time without it and I have to say it was nowhere near as enjoyable. Down state just feels cheap.

Archived