Which GW1 version to buy?

So I’ve really been wanting to play guild wars 1 and get a better understanding of Elona, Cantha, characters like Joko and generally all the lore related to the games. I wasn’t sure where to post this but my question is what version of the game should I buy? After searching a few other posts I found that my two options are from steam (where I’ll have to buy the trilogy and EoTN separately) or a German website where someone speculated i could be placed in a EU server by doing so. I was thinking of buying it from steam just cause I trust the store and have experience with it, but I also want to know if I’ll get the Hall of Monuments rewards as well by doing so since I’d rather not miss out on that added bonus.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Trilogy and Platinum.

Agreed:

• Trilogy has the original three campaigns (plus some extras): Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall
  • Platinum has the original campaign (redundant, alas) and the expansion (Eye of the North) (plus some extras).

Between the two, you get the best bang for your buck and access to everything.

@AntonyGW.6103 said:@Illconceived Was Na.9781 wait so platinum has the campaign that is also included in the trilogy?

Other than that thanks for the replies guys that’s just what I’ll do. :)

Platinum has Prophecies.However, there's no longer any way to get EotM without also buying one of the original campaigns. The alternative to @Ayrilana.1396's suggestion is to buy Platinum (Proph + EotM), Factions (basic), and Nightfall (basic). That's more expensive than buying Trilogy & Platinum (and you'd typically end up with fewer of the extras).

@AntonyGW.6103 said:@Illconceived Was Na.9781 wait so platinum has the campaign that is also included in the trilogy?

Other than that thanks for the replies guys that’s just what I’ll do. :)

Yes, Platinum has Prophecies and EOTN. Trilogy has Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall. So yeah, you'll technically end up getting Prophecies twice, but it's still the best way to go about getting all of the campaigns and the expansion.

@AntonyGW.6103 said:@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" wait so platinum has the campaign that is also included in the trilogy?

"Prophecies" is the original campaign, followed by "Factions" (first expansion), then "Nightfall" (second expansion). Unlike GW2, in GW1 the "expansions" are also standalones, they have their own starting areas (and tutorials), character looks and exclusive professions.

"Eye of the North" was an additional add-on (an expansion in the traditional sense of the word), the last big release, that was preparing people for GW2, as the devs had decided to quit developing GW1 and jump straight to GW2 (due to GW1's engine limitations). I wish they had stayed in the original era in GW2 and kept the GW1 skill system and professions, but that didn't come to pass.

So when someone writes "core campaign" for GW1, they are referring to "Prophecies", the first/original campaign:

1. Prophecies (Tyria)
  2. Factions (Cantha)
  3. Nightfall (Elona)
  4. Eye of the North

Archived