Need help with build craft

BadSanta.6527

I'm not sure which utility and elite skills you're running, or what type of pve you're looking to play, but if you just want some general tips I can give you some thoughts.

-Greatsword and your off-hand axe are pretty much entirely power based weapons, but viper gear heavily favors condi. That means the majority of your weapon skills don't benefit much from your gear. With that in mind, i'd steer you toward some gear with more power and ferocity. Beserker is the most common.

-To keep building on that greatsword, take moment of clarity and remorseless from marksmanship, live fast from soulbeast, and the utility skills sic em and moa stance. With this stuff you can get some really big hits while you're merged with your pet by gaining fury and opening strike, and using greatsword 2, 5, then 2 again, and a ferocious pet f3.

These are just things I found fun, with these suggestions though I am pushing you more toward a pure power build, and if you want to play hybrid in open world pve, knock yourself out. If you're looking to go into fractals or raids, people will probably want you to run either a full condi soulbeast, or a druid (check metabattle or snowcrows for that kind of stuff, or for ideas on what you'd like to do on your own.

The first problem is the weapon choice GS is entirely power as is Axe off-hand. The second one is that you'd have to spread the stats pretty thin for them to be useful in any meaningful way.This build is what most people run if they want to go condi on a soulbeast.The problem lies with the way you'd apply condis and the amount applied. Currently sb/sb or sb + dagger/torch with traps and vulture stance as utilities is the best option because you don't have a lot of condi application otherwise.I suppose you could just go with traps + sharpening stone and still use weapons of your choosing but you'd miss out on a lot of condi damage by doing so and not do enough damage equal to a power build.You could experiment with the build editor and see what your build would look like on paper.

@"Deax.1572" said:The first problem is the weapon choice GS is entirely power as is Axe off-hand. The second one is that you'd have to spread the stats pretty thin for them to be useful in any meaningful way.This build is what most people run if they want to go condi on a soulbeast.The problem lies with the way you'd apply condis and the amount applied. Currently sb/sb or sb + dagger/torch with traps and vulture stance as utilities is the best option because you don't have a lot of condi application otherwise.I suppose you could just go with traps + sharpening stone and still use weapons of your choosing but you'd miss out on a lot of condi damage by doing so and not do enough damage equal to a power build.You could experiment with the build editor and see what your build would look like on paper.

I know that it is not optimal but you right much better to go with the meta

Personally I got something similar to work with druid though.Ancient seeds, glyph of equality, spiketrap, entangle and sharpening stone.Axe/Axe with either GS or Staff.Soulbeast has more benefits from poison and less bleed applications except from Dagger MH.I use skirmishing and WS with druid.For gear I'd say go with grieving if you wanna do full dmg or just try a Soulbeast build. Marshal is quiet nice for druid if doing offhealing roles in T1-T2.

@BadSanta.6527 said:

@"Deax.1572" said:The first problem is the weapon choice GS is entirely power as is Axe off-hand. The second one is that you'd have to spread the stats pretty thin for them to be useful in any meaningful way.This
is what most people run if they want to go condi on a soulbeast.The problem lies with the way you'd apply condis and the amount applied. Currently sb/sb or sb + dagger/torch with traps and vulture stance as utilities is the best option because you don't have a lot of condi application otherwise.I suppose you could just go with traps + sharpening stone and still use weapons of your choosing but you'd miss out on a lot of condi damage by doing so and not do enough damage equal to a power build.You could experiment with the
and see what your build would look like on paper.

I know that it is not optimal but you right much better to go with the meta

Its not so much about being "Optimal" as the fact that Ranger sees much less gains for its investments, and pretty much has to focus into a single damage type to off-set its design problems. Ranger at its core struggles heavily with the fact that Pets are considered part of their damage budget, makes up 25% of it, but has very little ability to amplify it the way other classes can. A lot this problem comes from Ranger's personal damage and pet damage having separate traits, and each requiring deep investment to get anywhere with them. This is further complicated by each weapon (rather then weapon role) being assigned to a trait line, with damage type boosting traits for those weapons being located in other trait lines. At minimum you need 2 traits dedicated to your main weapon set, with the third fighting for self-sustain, further damage increase, or self/group utility. Whatever you don't pick is always the thing that kills you. You're spread thin to begin with; so trying to spread it further with hybrid builds usually ends up causing you do garbage tier damage.... and thats not an exaggeration.

I ran Ranger a long time in core, and its a constant trade off between basic self sustain or mediocre damage output. For open world that was fine.... but the moment I went into HOT maps, it got trashed hard by not being able to burst down high threat targets fast enough, unable to soak damage in sustained fights, unable to rebound under pressure, and with the nerfs to Endurance, unable to rely on dodge as its sole defense. At the moment I'm running glass viper build, and the way it operates is actually insanely risky. Because despite the high overall DPS, the style of DOT gives a lot of mobs ample opportunity to hit back before dying. This has lead to a lot of mistakes of over committing damage skills to a target, or misjudging the damage ramp and the target surviving when you thought the condi ticks was going to finish it off. In both HOT and POF, thats a fatal mistake if they can get a big hit skill in that window. Condi ranger also ramps up pretty slow, and need sustained fire to maintain it. There are skill combos that can produce a sharp rise in DPS... but it ramps down just as fast, and isn't done fast enough to be considered reliable burst damage.

The one advantage of Power builds in Ranger is the ability to know when a strike should finish off a foe. You can burst damage, but it forces you to exhaust your skills in the process. Trying to produce sustain damage is possible- but each weapon has a range its terrible at, and puts you at huge risk when a mob crosses that threshold. This is why the typical ranger strat is to kite at target until its softened up, and then burst it down to finish it off. If the mob can survive the burst, you're in huge trouble unless you have a control skill to mitigate their actions. Since you only get 1 hard control between skills 4 and 5 on any weapon combination, and they're all on long cool downs, you can kind of see the problem here. If you're lucky, one of your other weapon skills is an evade..... past that you either have invest utilities that suffer from same trade offs, or trait them and run multiple of the same type, since you can't effectively trait multiple utility types at the same time.

Despite the lesser damage, Power Soulbeast is pretty solid as long as you're running Great Sword as one of your weapons. GS suffers the least from lacking traits, and has overall utility with an evade on Auto, Burst on 2, Leap on 3, Block on 4, and Daze/Stun on 5. Unfortunately its general damage is kind of poor due to its status as "utility weapon"; but you can cheese around this with the Sic'em/Maul chain mentioned earlier. Most Power SBs will also run Rock Gazelle for the amount of Hard CCs it has access to. Running opposite of that you might want to consider Jacaranda for the healing abilities.

If you want to run Druid, you pretty much have to accept a major personal DPS loss. However, your support functions substantially amplify large groups; so the DPS loss gets made up by a major bump in group DPS total. For open world boss metas, Druids can burst heal/buff while still running damage gear; its just a question of how good you can generate CE. But if they have one major weakness..... its awkward condition removal. Condi Druid suffers this problem the least, since wilderness survival just happens to have condition removal traits in the same line as half the condition damage traits.

Hi,Here you go. It won't be the next meta raid build but it's solid and both solo and group friendly.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNAnXRjUqQzK2qCWsAXLGKEKv1f2f47iZIA4BodT9SOXcA-jFy0ABvoDAgTBQZKBfS5XRPBgA1GAz+DLq+DpA+bpF-w

With this build you supposed to be with 25 might 100% of the time(you and pet) even when you solo. Fury is also 100% of the time and giving you extra 10% crit chance and 250 ferocity

So with self buffs only you can be 70% crit chance(80% from behind), 200% crit damage(210% on axes), almost 3,500 might(with food proc) and 2400 condi damage. 50% boon duration for might(on weapon swap) some condi duration(you can buff this with infusions) and damage bonus modifiers. You will have condi damage and physical damage on both weapons and on pets, due to sun spirit and sharpened edges.

It will be hard to put more offensive stats on any build, but you will be very squishy.

Enjoy

Archived