Returning player confused about all elite specs and playstyle

Spinestalker.7639

I've just returned to the game after a lengthy break. I haven't played any of the expansions yet. Just started leveling Rev to see how it goes, but not very happy with it.

Knowing myself and past I will eventually return to playing necro (like I have many times). I am extremely interested in playing scourge. I'm mostly into OW and some light fractals and occasional WvW. Whatever I feel like, however none of it will be hardcore omg meta-or-die thing. I want to enjoy the game more than anything.

Thus, my question, is scourge viable for Open World without all z minions running around like headless chickens? I tried some minion build I had when i left the game (years ago) and I just can't stand all z pets running around making their funny noises (exaggeration on purpose).

I keep reading about "necro sux this", "necro sux that", "necro for OW only power reaper build", "no power scourge build" (not sure about that), "necro just terrible" and so on and so on to a degree my head is melting. Is there something that will help me kill things relatively easy in OW as scourge without having to manage gazillion pets, resources etc?

Literally anything works in openworld. Necro is only terrible in gw2 in the sense that it teaches bad habbits. The rest of those complaints are aimed towards raids/t4 since a single necro doesn't offer anything useful to the group (its dps is bottom of the barrel and its support as a scourge hinges on you having a bad group), and wvw/pvp where they're seen as a brain dead spam class that kills people magically.

@"Spinestalker.7639" said:Thus, my question, is scourge viable for Open World without all z minions running around like headless chickens? I tried some minion build I had when i left the game (years ago) and I just can't stand all z pets running around making their funny noises (exaggeration on purpose).

I keep reading about "necro sux this", "necro sux that", "necro for OW only power reaper build", "no power scourge build" (not sure about that), "necro just terrible" and so on and so on to a degree my head is melting. Is there something that will help me kill things relatively easy in OW as scourge without having to manage gazillion pets, resources etc?

Everything is viable for open world PvE. Scourge is condition with some support capabilities specialization. The reason why power reaper is highly recommended is because power damage is better for open world PvE due to the fact that you don't have to wait for mobs to die from condition damage.

@"Spinestalker.7639" said:Thanks for replies! So going for scourge necro in OW I am consciously making a decision to perform worse than say reaper? I've read so many negatives all around the forums and reddit that it's honestly off putting to a degree.

Not really, right now, no. Even when you have cleared a few groups with your bursty skills, and are reduced to autoattack waiting on cooldowns, it is still effective enough not to suck. Especially because Epidemic means you are "banking" area damage on your target as you add basic conditions anyhow.

I run this, and I do just fine. Where by "just fine" I mean "well below raid meta level performance, but higher that 90 percent of players in fractals, world bosses, bounties, etc"

@Spinestalker.7639 said:Thanks for replies! So going for scourge necro in OW I am consciously making a decision to perform worse than say reaper? I've read so many negatives all around the forums and reddit that it's honestly off putting to a degree.

In some ways, yes. Scourge is a condition specialization and the Reaper is a power specialization. The Reaper is the overall better specialization for open world PvE because you can kill mobs much faster than spamming conditions on mobs and waiting for them to die.

@Sephylon.4938 said:Performance in terms of what? Doing dps, not dying, supporting groups, ir tagging the most mobs?

That's actually a very valid point. Not sure what I exactly meant by that. Time spent to result obtained? Effort to result? Is a difference between killing something with reaper that huge comapred to scourge condi? I'm sorry for that vague way of putting it. I think what I meant by that is I don't want to end up being absolutely worthless in a group because I decide to play something that I find is fun fun fun but totally unrealistic to use playing with others.

I remember at the time having a blast playing with guild in WvW and I knew I had a role there and I was actually useful while at the same time on my own I could handle OW no problem. Maybe I'm just getting too much into reading all these complaints about necro as a profession and should focus on the good stuff.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@Spinestalker.7639 said:Thanks for replies! So going for scourge necro in OW I am consciously making a decision to perform worse than say reaper? I've read so many negatives all around the forums and reddit that it's honestly off putting to a degree.

In some ways, yes. Scourge is a condition specialization and the Reaper is a power specialization. The Reaper is the overall better specialization for open world PvE because you can kill mobs much faster than spamming conditions on mobs and waiting for them to die.

Is there much of a difference in this case? Say it will take me 5 seconds as reaper vs 8 or 10 seconds as condi? Not mentioning downtime waiting for skills to come off CD.

@Spinestalker.7639 said:

@Sephylon.4938 said:Performance in terms of what? Doing dps, not dying, supporting groups, ir tagging the most mobs?

That's actually a very valid point. Not sure what I exactly meant by that. Time spent to result obtained? Effort to result? Is a difference between killing something with reaper that huge comapred to scourge condi? I'm sorry for that vague way of putting it. I think what I meant by that is I don't want to end up being absolutely worthless in a group because I decide to play something that I find is fun fun fun but totally unrealistic to use playing with others.

I mean it's just open world. No body there cares what you play as long as you don't get in their way (pulling mobs out of aoes, delaying npcs, moving bosses out of position, etc)

as for effort:result, you'll either be in zergs mass tagging, or solo stuff. The former doesn't matter as long as you tag stuff (sand savant of scourge makes it a better tagger than reaper imo), and the later is personal preference.

Archived