PSA: Placed plat but fell to gold? you're a gold player!

maxwelgm.4315

Topic title. The people in low plat and high gold really have to stop blaming others for losing 6+ times in a row. You lost 6(SIX) times? Start thinking about your class or build, because at that point you should be getting players lower than your true placement (unless you're too high up...wink wink). Got players that are indeed far lower than you? Well good riddance because the population is small enough (and Glicko helps...) for the enemy to get these guys too. Lost three matches in a row due to throwing? What about the next 3 ones then? Are you sure you're not just stressed out? Are you absolutely sure you didn't stop to type while the player you're calling a n00b is getting wrecked 2vs1? If you're not able to carry, are you able to delegate roles in a way that does not alienate your team? So many matches are lost due to gg's called at 80 - 10 scores.

You want to be at the top of the leaderboard? Start leading!

@LazySummer.2568 said:I wouldnt be so sure OP, it's highly likely you will also drop to gold at some point unless you camp ratings and only plays minimum # of games like everyone else in plat.

Basically this. There's plenty of past legends who fell through plat only to climb to the top again. Apparently this guy has very few plat games played of experience.

Rating gain/loss at the start of the season is crazy. I've been somewhere in the gold area every season. But right after my placements I got a string of bad luck games where players went afk running against a wall just to farm the pips. Is this my fault? Should I lead them better so they actually will play a game mode they could care less about? Is the close to 100 points I lost because of this in around 4 games fair? I'm sitting here now trying to gain back those early season point losses still 35 games into the season.
Unless you play the bare minimum of games to keep rating, not very many people are where they are supposed to be. There are just to many factors outside the player's control in a team based game.

Look at the mini-map more, anticipate what your teammates are doing and play your role off of that. Even when your teammates are doing "the wrong thing" its better to play with them and try to optimize the outcome instead of raging, talking trash to ur own team and going solo yolo.

Keep track of the enemy team status, specifically how many are alive and where they're at and what they're likely to do and counter it the best you can.

If you play glass like me always make a point to make someone whose an easy 1shot kill on the enemy team your bi*ch and farm them till the fat lady sings 500.

Map awareness / positioning is probably the single biggest thing separating the men from the boys.

Yeah this is nonsense. The matchmaking is streaky af and always has been. A 6 game loss streak isn't any more my fault or a reflection on my ability than the 6 game win streak that follows it being all thanks to me and making me a great player.

Truth is for people who's true skill level is around Plat 1\Gold 3 they can end the season in either one mostly dependent on placements. You won't drop or rise from where ever you ended up once your rating volatility ran out.

Na it's all bull anyways, won 7/3 on placement still landed g3 must be because I lost the first 3, anyways still won the next 10 games in a row and that's 17-3 still few hundred points behind the shitty leader of EU boards with his afk 13/2 it all don't make sense. So I will need to be 40/3 to catch up to his 13/2. Once I relize that I stopped caring about plat gold and leg and just play. I play to win but not for top spot as if u don't get in top 100 in placement then u got to add a extra 50 wins in a to there's to catch up.

@maxwelgm.4315 said:Topic title. The people in low plat and high gold really have to stop blaming others for losing 6+ times in a row. You lost 6(SIX) times? Start thinking about your class or build, because at that point you should be getting players lower than your true placement (unless you're too high up...wink wink).Ok i agree about think a buid but what if u have a afk or dc in your team?I have twice time in row afk or ppl zerk in home but not cap what i can do about it?

@Undertaker.4368 said:

@maxwelgm.4315 said:Topic title. The people in low plat and high gold really have to stop blaming others for losing 6+ times in a row. You lost 6(SIX) times? Start thinking about your class or build, because at that point you should be getting players lower than your true placement (unless you're too high up...wink wink).Ok i agree about think a buid but what if u have a afk or dc in your team?I have twice time in row afk or ppl zerk in home but not cap what i can do about it?

In that case you should take comfort in knowing that there is only a 4/9 chance of playing with them, and a 5/9 chance of playing against them, so in the long run they will artificially raise your MMR, not lower it.

@maxwelgm.4315 said:Topic title. The people in low plat and high gold really have to stop blaming others for losing 6+ times in a row. You lost 6(SIX) times? Start thinking about your class or build, because at that point you should be getting players lower than your true placement (unless you're too high up...wink wink). Got players that are indeed far lower than you? Well good riddance because the population is small enough (and Glicko helps...) for the enemy to get these guys too. Lost three matches in a row due to throwing? What about the next 3 ones then? Are you sure you're not just stressed out? Are you absolutely sure you didn't stop to type while the player you're calling a n00b is getting wrecked 2vs1? If you're not able to carry, are you able to delegate roles in a way that does not alienate your team? So many matches are lost due to gg's called at 80 - 10 scores.

You want to be at the top of the leaderboard? Start leading!

I am fairly inexperienced with PvP, having only played 1 full season so far. Placed 1207, finished 1507 after 243 games played. But I was able to see this in action over the course of the season.

I went in with a build and strategy that turned out not to have the impact I expected it would. Again and again I would approach gold 2, but I just couldn't quite reach it before I'd fall back down into low-mid gold 1. But I also noticed that I wasn't having trouble staying in low gold 1. Inevitably, I would begin to win matches again at that point and avoid dropping into silver.

At this point I decided to change up my build/strategy. The changes worked and I immediately shattered my skill ceiling, crossed into gold 2 and continued steadily climbing until I broke into the platinum tier. There my ceiling was waiting for me again. Try as I might, I just couldn't reach plat 2 and it was pretty clear that I couldn't remain in upper plat 1 for long. So, I ended up bouncing around between 1450-1550 for the rest of the season and finished 1507.

If you ask me, there is way too much evidence that luck was not the driving factor in this scenario. Luck can't explain why I was trapped in gold 1 and why making changes to my build/strategy mid-season immediately changed that and boosted me up 3 rating tiers! It also can't explain why not only my skill ceiling, but also the skill floor seemed pretty clearly defined with both builds.

I'm not saying I didn't experience the dreaded impact of bad matchmaking. It was quite obvious at the platinum tier as I'd be matched with legendary tier players and see the same faces match after match. I even had a horrifying 10+ loss streak 2 days before the end of the season! I thought I would just die if I couldn't get back into platinum (and believe me I was scared to play that last day in case I lost a match and finished just short!). But the system clearly worked over the long term and was somehow able to provide me with a pretty well-defined range that responded quite obviously to changes in build/strategy. In the end, I finished right in the middle of that range.

Do you guys have dramatically different experiences from this? How does luck/matchmaking impact your game over the course of an entire season?

@"maxwelgm.4315" said:PSA: Placed plat but fell to gold? you're a gold player!! I can't believe how wrong you all are, if you pay attention to the mainstream media, this world is about equality of outcome so I suggest we all stop fighting and have weekly rotations so we all get to be in plat. Also they should just give us all the boxes and titles for free.!! By the way since I mentioned all these brilliant ideas it means I totally deserve to be in plat firstIt's really just the usual git gud routine. Optimize builds, think about rotations, then just fight a lot.Gauging one's own competence in relation to your opponent is also useful.Put in no effort and one gets nothing.Being angry and hitting keys harder does not equal increased effort...

@"sephiroth.4217" said:Looks like someone got to plat and needs to poop on those below.I know right, it's just inconvenient most people aren't adapted to project poop upwards so you really have to make use of vertical positioning.

Song:

Ive seen matches (a lot more lately at that) where 1 player goes afk. Before gungho-ing all about skill and its all the players fault and you want to poop on people without a care because hey...they dropped rank right? They must deserve gols/silver...etc? Just think for a second. Ask yourself..."Is there any possible factor aside from skill that can cause people to lose and drop rank? Maybe something that could in fact happen more than once?"

Than answer is yes...yes there is. There...now try to be less gungho and widen your view.

inb4...I rarely PvP and havent even done placement teh last 2 seasons, however I do PvP for mission purposes (albeit unranked) I do have guildies that PvP every day for hours and have rants like the OP does that tells me afk happens frequently (that and someone speed/teleport hacking from time to time).

@Ralkuth.1456 said:

@maxwelgm.4315 said:PSA: Placed plat but fell to gold? you're a gold player!! I can't believe how wrong you all are, if you pay attention to the mainstream media, this world is about equality of outcome so I suggest we all stop fighting and have weekly rotations so we all get to be in plat. Also they should just give us all the boxes and titles for free.!! By the way since I mentioned all these brilliant ideas it means I totally deserve to be in plat firstIt's really just the usual git gud routine. Optimize builds, think about rotations, then just fight a lot.Gauging one's own competence in relation to your opponent is also useful.Put in no effort and one gets nothing.Being angry and hitting keys harder does not equal increased effort...

@sephiroth.4217 said:Looks like someone got to plat and needs to poop on those below.I know right, it's just inconvenient most people aren't adapted to project poop upwards so you really have to make use of vertical positioning.

Thanks for the image of someone trying that :lol:

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:What about players that finished legend in one season and finished plat 1 in the next season?

Was about to say the same, I can think of a few examples. But probably their skill just vanished from one season to another, omegalul. I can say from my own experience that I have been pretty much everywhere between ~1570 and ~1840 during the last 3 seasons, which is quite a big volatility considering I have been playing this game consistently on one class since pre-Hot in Ranked and hence my personal skill level is unlikely to have changed that dramatically within these 3 seasons.

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:

If you ask me, there is way too much evidence that luck was not the driving factor in this scenario. Luck can't explain why I was trapped in gold 1 and why making changes to my build/strategy mid-season immediately changed that and boosted me up 3 rating tiers! It also can't explain why not only my skill ceiling, but also the skill floor seemed pretty clearly defined with both builds.

I'm not saying I didn't experience the dreaded impact of bad matchmaking. It was quite obvious at the platinum tier as I'd be matched with legendary tier players and see the same faces match after match. I even had a horrifying 10+ loss streak 2 days before the end of the season! I thought I would just die if I couldn't get back into platinum (and believe me I was scared to play that last day in case I lost a match and finished just short!). But the system clearly worked over the long term and was somehow able to provide me with a pretty well-defined range that responded quite obviously to changes in build/strategy. In the end, I finished right in the middle of that range.

Do you guys have dramatically different experiences from this? How does luck/matchmaking impact your game over the course of an entire season?

While I never remained trapped in gold for an appreciable amount of time, my experience mirrors yours when it comes to skill and changing builds. My movement through the ranks was not as dramatic as yours, but I still saw appreciable differences in where I stabilized in my mmr based on changes I made to my own playstyle.

The previous 2 seasons as a bunker druid (not a great one, I might add) saw me floating around 1520 for about 75% of the season, ending right around there too. After the bunker nerfs I decided to switch to a more offensive build, and 1550 is a much more comfortable target for me, and there's a chance if I practice a bit of queue discipline I might even come closer to plat 2. However, I fully accept the clear evidence of a skill ceiling for me on both bunker and my current soulboon builds, and it's going to take more adjustment for me to get one of the top 250 spots either this season or the next.

But yes, over hundreds of matches I've noticed that changes that I make to my own gameplay seem to have the largest effect on what my mmr settles at. "Git gud" really is sound advice.

Archived