Best Addons?

To answer the question:

I personally like gw2navi -- the gw2timer.com overlay -- for providing GPS style guidance for a bunch of things. It isn't good for "discovery", but it is good for when you want to navigate fast. I usually disable it during new content.

I use, but don't recommend, ArcDPS. Most players do not benefit from it, and it is technically fiddly, so you shouldn't use it unless you have to. It also tends toward provoking an unhealthy focus on damage output rather than mechanics, which is ultimately not a great way to perform your best.

I use, and would recommend, the "radial mount menu" addon, which allows me to use a side button on the mouse, plus movement, to select a mount. I find this vastly more convenient than key bindings, as there are no convenient key bindings left on my 16 skill characters, without either letting go of the mouse, or moving the hand from the movement and skill keys. I don't want to try and find five (or even three) buttons on the mouse, so one button for the menu is great.

I tried, but do not use, an addon to offer a similar menu for emotes. Unfortunately, it did not work for me, and so I am not motivated to try again. The utility would have been fairly marginal -- I like waving at people and a couple other things, but I don't use emotes enough to really care.

I occasionally use gw2taco, which is very good with some of the third party marker packs for helping through content I find more annoying than challenging, such as a couple of the jumping puzzles. If most of the challenge comes from "which of the identical minute ledges is solid, and which is not", I am happy enough to "cheat" through that bit.

At the end of the day, though, my advice is simple, and it is this: DO NOT INSTALL ANY ADDONS. You don't need them to play, and so, you should not use them.

Eventually you may find a specific problem you want to solve, and an addon may help you solve that. That, there, is the point at which you should consider searching for something that solves your actual, concrete problem.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:Eventually you may find a specific problem you want to solve, and an addon may help you solve that. That, there, is the point at which you should consider searching for something that solves your actual, concrete problem.

This is the core answer. Play without addons until something specific becomes an issue, then look for an addon to solve that.

I don't use any addons myself. I've looked at Radial Mount Menu and at TACO, but neither has reached the point where the annoyance of not having it is bigger than my comfort of not having addons to mess with.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@sokeenoppa.5384 said:Arcdps build templates.

Why? (I'm serious. Why would a new player use this?)

I dont know why new player would use it, did he/she asked The question as new player?

Anyway for me its important coz i need to change My build alot in a run with my thief when i play dungeons with group or Solo (dps build and perma stealth build).And as a raider who can do multi roles its very good to have.(very fast to change lets say My condi Mirage to chrono or something like that).

Archived