Legendary Vs. Favorite Skin

There have been a couple instances where I had a skin that I thought would look nice on a certain toon. Compliment the look I was going for, what have you. But, because I already had a corresponding legendary, I saw no reason to spend the extra gold. The flip side of that is that I don't see any reason to make a handful of other legendaries, because I would just reskin them to look like the ascended weapons those other toons already carry.

@Game of Bones.8975 said:How many of you have legendary weapons and sometimes are troubled whether or not to use it or a certain skin that fits the character more?

I have Kudzu, Bifrost, Meteorlogicus, and Minstrel. I always go by the intended style/design whether that includes a legendary or not.

When I first got Kudzu I wanted to use it on every longbow character, but it didn't fit my gua or war, so I went with non-legendaries for those.

Legendaries look great, but there are a lot of cool skins in the game, and it would be a pity to use the same skin on every character who uses the weapon type. My Druid main is the only one who wields Astralaria, apart from an occasional low-level key farmer, for fun. (Gotta love having an excess of Transmutation charges!) I am now working on Bifrost, and though I will enjoy seeing it on the character it is intended for when it's done, my main will probably stick with the very cool Peacemaker staff.

On the other hand, I am thinking of starting on Hope, and there just aren't a lot of pistol skins I care for, so if I do it, all the pistol-packing toons may use it.

To be honest i managed to find a way to fit the dreamer into my characters RP story so that i could use it IC, without destroying everyones ideas of seriousness.Out of all the legendaries i wish i used the Minstrel more..but focuses suck so bad...

@Game of Bones.8975 said:How many of you have legendary weapons and sometimes are troubled whether or not to use it or a certain skin that fits the character more?

I build all my characters around the weapon skins they are using, legendary or not, I never use the same armor or weapon skin twice (Currently 30 x level 80 all dressed to kill) my weapons skins theme always synergizes with my armor theme, hairstyle/colour and even class theme, for example, I never use weapon skins that clash with skill animation colours, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to this.

I don't want a legendary for this very reason, even though I have had the gold to pick whichever. I'd rather have a bunch of weapons/outfits that I feel free to look however I want than have one that I would feel obligated to use or it was throwing money away even in the slightest amount.

@"hugo.4705" said:I'm currently crafting the predator just to say "look I have a legendary", I don't like any of the skins, I'm planning after crafted it, to transmut him into "arcane marksman rifle" because the look and the animation are 2x better.

I did just the very same! Except in my version, I sold the my predator for a whooping profit which enabled me to finally take that 250g griffon hurdle (and buy lots of other fluff, of course ;)). Perhaps I'll restock on some materials to craft another legendary... if the new GS (whenever it may come) looks nice, that would be my go-to. So better start to pile up on those mithril ingots soon, hehehe.

Edit: The arcane marksman rifle is one of the best skins ever created in GW2 imho. A shame that I don't see it fitting into any of my hero's lore :'(

I just crafted my first legendary, Sunrise; to compliment the theme of my Reaper. The next legendary I'm working on is Shining Blade for my Weaver. But other than that, most of the BL weapon skins and exotics have done more than a serviceable job in the aesthetics department. Hell, even the dungeon token weapons work better with most themes.

I think the best Legendary skin is The Predator. Just the look screams power and fury; something a badass rifle should do.The Binding of Ipos as a focus is another good example of a thought out item; used by scholars and holding the spells, cantrips, and incantations they need for battle.Nevermore is my staff skin favorite for many other reasons; I love Edgar Allan Poe stories, ravens are very intelligent, and it has some great animations.

The rest fall between the ridiculous and awesome scales, but may not jump out at me as character-defining. Although I can see an Asura with spiked red hair charging into battle waving The Moot (or Quip) and holding Shooshadoo! That's not ridiculous, that's in character.

That's never been a problem for me, but then I only make legendaries if I like the skin and it suits one or more of my characters. I've made the Dreamer and Bifrost so far, planning to make Nevermore and Claw of the Khan-Ur at some point and really want a character to suit Astralaria but I don't have one yet. I've got a few characters who should be higher up the list for getting a legendary than my thief (Claw) and necro (Nevermore) but because I can't find a legendary which suits them they're sticking with 'normal' skins.

That's another reason - I have 11 characters so even after I've made a legendary I can use other skins on alts. I love The Dreamer on my purple themed ranger, but I'd only ever give it to my black & white themed charr thief as a joke (and then only because he can't actually kill me for doing it), or because it's easier to get screenshots of the unicorns on a thief, so I use different skins on his short bow.

If I ever do get bored with a legendary or find another skin I really love and want to use on a character who has a legendary I'd swap to it, at least for a while. But I'd get another ascended/exotic weapon to skin rather than changing the legendary. I know you can do it and it doesn't affect anything except the little note saying 'Unlocked' changes to 'Transmuted' but I still wouldn't do it.

I created an Egyptian themed Scourge (because I thought it would suit the sand themed aesthetics), so naturally I gave up Meteorlogicus for the Funerary Scepter. While it is arguable that the former could have fit the theme as well to some extent (Egyptians associated heavily with celestial bodies), I just felt the latter suited the overall look I came up with more.

So, long story short, I think it's perfectly fine to deviate away from legendaries to create themed characters or to achieve certain aesthetic goals. Legendaries are so common these days that even the prestige usually associated with them has worn off to quite an extent, so I don't see a reason for anyone to force themselves to use them just because they crafted them. Just use whatever you like.

I have Rodgort (torch) on a Firebrand Guardian whose armour theme has long been a sort of luminous blood red, a petite human female with red hair.

That's my only legendary, and it will remain my only legendary until I finish getting my stuff together to craft Howler. (I still need a GoB - less than 4K reward track points left - and a Bloodstone Shard - around 100 Spirit Shards left to get that.) No idea how I'm going to treat that, or even which of my characters will use it.

I also have Caladbolg Orchida (on my favourite human female DH). I unlocked all the Caladbolg skins, but somehow that one feels more wrong to transmute in either direction than any legendary could possibly feel.

Dark Harvest, on the other hand, is the perfect go-to weapon for a Reaper. One of them has my genuine Dark Harvest, while the other has a transmuted zerk exotic.

I've had enough to make a legendary multiple times over playing this game, largely thanks to some very lucky drops, because I am way too casual to have the amount of money required otherwise. And I do have one I'm about to complete by happenstance, just checked on the stuff required on a whim for one sitting on my mule, and happened to have everything I need but the WvW gift, and thought, well, let's do this. But, I'm making it to sell, not to use.

Really legendaries have two appeals, as prestige weapons, debatable whether or not they actually accomplish that given how common they are; and I don't care about prestige at all. And second, they are a major convenience, having one weapon for every build on all of your characters.

But, I care a lot about my characters looks, each of my characters has, at minimum a personality and theme I imagine for them, and at maximum a full on story. And their looks represent that personality and story. Meaning that that secondary appeal of legendaries is a no-go for me, because I'm not willing to give up my characters individuality in order to share legendary gear between them, even if it would be very convenient.

If they ever make an infinite transmat stone, or just remove the requirement of transmat stones; I might oneday thereafter make my first legendary that I actually plan to use

Archived