Roller Beetle: will skin packs be retroactive?

@Adzekul.3104 said:All joking aside, looks very cool. Hope it does not cost 250g though.

I doubt they would do that for a LS episode. The griffon was a hidden surprise. The beetle is clearly the highlight of the release. I'm guess it will have a movement skill that will be needed heavily in Kourna.

As I said in the other topic I think it's highly unlikely people who bought mount skin packs will get a free one for the beetle. I think it's possible the packs will be updated in future to include beetle skins (and if so I hope there will be a way to buy them separately), but I'll be very surprised if they're free.

And as long as it's not too expensive I'd be willing to pay for a branded beetle to match my existing branded skins.

You know...I can see both sides of this...you know they have been working on the Beetle for a while now...so I could see how if you bought the packs, that they might add one. Also, I could see...for the micro transaction model, that if you own a pack already, they make it a nominal fee...I wouldn't go over 100 gems since the packs had differing costs when they were offered(check the wiki for their prices)...to get the skin you did not have when you bought the pack.

But you know,,,I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt...you know this has been in the works for a while...I bet they add a skin to previously purchased packs. And new skins for the beetle will be available in a "Kourna Pet Adoption License" set they release in a couple weeks or so...cause I'm still one of those delusional fanboy players that believes ANet still likes us. :) lol

The thing that makes me wonder is, next Halloween when the spooky mounts pack is rolled out again, for example, will it continue to be be a pack for ALL the mounts (beetle added) or still just for the original 5 mounts? It will seem odd to have an 'incomplete' skin pack that excludes one mount for all future releases. And yet, it would also seem odd to add something to an existing item that previous purchasers don't have access to.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:Am I the only one who see this as a Skimmer. I know it say new mount, but that doesn't necessarily mean a new Mount type.

It is possible. But the video showing it smashing through walls and doing a high-speed jump doesn't feel skimmerish to me. And I got an impression of new personality animations even from that brief glance.

Why doesnt it surprise, that the first thing people need to ask when a new mount gets added later, if ANet has nothing better to do, than to instantly retroactively add also other older skin sets rolleyes

And its a new mount type, the whole design of it screams new moiunt type with its own mechanics and mastery..From the way it is shown and how its presented in the video, i guess the rollerbeeetle is anets answer to the missing type of basically thre "Speedster", while its design is also some kind of trvia to the first remade Star Wars movie with its racing pods style from Naboo lol from the way how you "ride" and navigate them xD

Rollerbeetles have no special abilities like a Skimmer, you can't glide with, nor stay over watr with them, they cant't jump high or wide, nor can they teleport.. so theiry obvious own special abilities is beign super fast, faster than anythign else - unstoppable, maybe so fast and unstoppable with a combination of an extreme hard body shell, that you can use them to break through walls and other obstacles that block your way, which need to get destroyed by your fats rollerbeetle crushing into them like a flying cannonball with the help of ramps. ^^

Its not the kind of Speester Mount that id love to see, i prefer there much more the kind of Cheetah Stye Speedster Mounster, but the Rollerbeetle is kind of the lore based answer of ANet basicalyl for Speedsters in an own unique way and god damn, this is kind of basically a great thign, because it opens also up the return of ROLLERBEETLE RACES.

YEEEHAAAAW.

Wished a long time ago, that they should return and that hopefully in GW2 then as an own minigame with this time more than only 1 simple race track, but with like 18 race tracks or so so that you could make with them something like a Grand Prix all around of Tyria ^^ kind of Mario Kart Style, but just with Roller Beetle Races gettign an improved gameplay design over its original GW1 version.

Just putting it out there, but how people react to new mounts and old skins might influence their likelihood of introducing brand new weapons like scythes and land spears in the future, which also might not have old skins retroactively added (we can still hope, right?) Perhaps the skins won't be retroactive... Yet. But it was something we didn't have in the first place, so let's keep a positive attitude regardless.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

@Orpheal.8263 said:Rollerbeetles have no special abilities like a Skimmer, you can't glide with, nor stay over watr with them,

Perhaps you missed the part where it is specifically rolling on water? Also, while the Beetle itself is touching the ground, your saddle is most definitely floating

It's shallow water, every terrestrial mount can walk there.

@Zaraki.5784 said:

@Orpheal.8263 said:Rollerbeetles have no special abilities like a Skimmer, you can't glide with, nor stay over watr with them,

Perhaps you missed the part where it is specifically rolling on water? Also, while the Beetle itself is touching the ground, your saddle is most definitely floating

Yup, uve been faster, would have written nearly the same ;)Aside of that, if Rollerbeetles would habe the abilities of a Skimmer, then they'd not be anymore the Rollerbeetles how we got to know them in GW1.Anet asurely doesnt add new mounts, just to turn them into skimmer clones, that woudl be massively wasted dev ressources, if they represent them as Skimmer 2.0 just with a different skin... When you look at them they have a completely different body model, than Skimmers..

Addign new mounts in GW2 makes only sense, if they are completely different from the already existign mount types.The Speedster and Crawler Type, aside of eventually even Carriers are the only the really unique ways that are missing, that ANet can use to give this game new moiunts, which feel and play differently, than the Skimmer, Raptor, Springer, Jackal and Gryphon.

A kind of super fast cannonball like mount, which is able to destroy blockades that are in your way would be definetely an unique different mount with an own special ability for why you would need to use them.

@Zaraki.5784 said:

Look at time stamp 1:10-1:11 That doesn't look like shallow water to me. It's not even up for a full second, but that's not shallow. I mean, I'm fine with this being an actual new mount type, but everything I'm seeing still looks like a very fancy Skimmer.

@Orpheal.8263 said:Addign new mounts in GW2 makes only sense, if they are completely different from the already existign mount types.The Speedster and Crawler Type, aside of eventually even Carriers are the only the really unique ways that are missing, that ANet can use to give this game new moiunts, which feel and play differently, than the Skimmer, Raptor, Springer, Jackal and Gryphon.

What you're missing is, I'm not saying this is a new type with similar abilities, I'm saying it's the exact same one with a new skin.

Archived