Long Live the Lich! [trailer speculations]

Michram.6853

The trailer came out!

We can see Joko partying in his new Domain in Kourna, we can see Faren, that looks scared because of white and yellow butterflies.

And do you know what Kourna means? Kralkatorrik!

Anyone recognizes the stone from the incoming fractal? Looks a bit like Vlast's and Glint's memory stones, but it has different color. Interesting...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So for Joko's partying... We don't usually see things we are not present for, so unless this is just trailer filler, ( Which it probably is, ) the commander could be present here. Which, personally, I am hoping for. Joko gets his sweet revenge by forcing us to partake in a humiliating play showing our weakness and his strength, like that awful Turai Ossa play in the Garden of Seborhin event.... and then he kills us.He won't KILL us obviously, but he'll try. Braham and Rox will burst open the roof again or something, deus ex machina. Also, I love how flamboyant Joko is in this segment. His voice acting is absolutely brilliant, too.

And JOKO HAS DECLARED WAR! We definitely won't be able to play him aside for a while and deal with Kralky or whatever for a while, he's forced himself to center stage. We're going to end up killing him or imprisoning him, ala Turai Ossa. Thing is, he has a massive army while the Pact is still in a weakened state. He also has a devastating bio weapon capable of killing everyone. And anyone who dies becomes his soldier. He'll definitely do a ton of damage in one way or another.

Returning to Kourna too.. I'm curious to see what has become of the Monument to the Defeat of Palawa Joko. He probably didn't just obliterate it, because that's far too blunt for him. He's probably twisted it horribly and put his own spin on it. It also appears to have a lot of Inquest influence now... Either Joko has been utilizing all the Inquest technology from his awakened gremlins or he's dealing with invading Inquest and Kralk all at once. Though the positioning of the tech shown in the trailer hints at the prior, since it's in a massive awakened base. They didn't seem to show all that much Branded map in the trailer, and I REALLY hope the map isn't half branded like Vabbi was. I hate exploring branded areas, and I really want to see Kourna and talk to NPCS without Branded mobs attacking me every two seconds and brandstorm making me shield and hide under spikes.

And it looks like we're getting our new mount in some sort of cave system. It's a rollerbeetle, which we've seen before in GW1 in a racing minigame in Cantha. Will we see any Canthan ties to the mount? Who will give it to us in the middle of Joko-controlled Kourna though? It looks to be influenced by recent technology by the tech-bike-thing on the back of it, so will we be seeing elonian Asura? It's highly doubtful but it would be interesting and add to the idea that our major cities and settlements in mainland Tyria are not the only instances of the five races, and that other groups with different customs live in other areas. The mount itself can break specific rock formations, travels quickly on land, and in water too. It can also get quite a bit of air when it hits a ramp. It'll probably become a mount of choice for massive trains going around maps and mount races. Also it is adorable.

The Deepstone fractal is looking like an abandoned Dwarven ruin, judging by the architecture and runes everywhere. That stone is glowing the same color as the runes and floor puzzles, so perhaps it's powering them? If it's a purified dragon crystal like that of Glint and her children, then why do the dwarves have it? Maybe this is a ruin of the Brotherhood of the Dragon. Also, I have to say, the spider boss is rather uninteresting for an ancient ruin. Spider infestation, big deal. Hopefully there's another more interesting boss lying in wait behind that door it's guarding.

I'm also extremely confused as to why Faren is in Elona now. Perhaps DR has gotten dragged into the Joko conflict? An awakened general did come into the middle of the city and kill a few citizens last episode, and while that's trivial for US, Jenna will have to deal with it somehow to appease her people. Fatalities in the middle of the city? Awakened invading anywhere and everywhere? There's sure to be a lot of panic in the racial cities over this. Perhaps Faren is working for Jenna to scope out the situation on the front lines. And those look significantly different from our mesmer butterflies, not just in color but in shape as well. Is that an effect from some sort of elonian mesmer spell, or are they some sort of effect from some elonian animal or something? Perhaps we'll meet an elonian mesmer character who will partake in some subterfuge mission with Faren. But in that case, why isn't Kasmeer here?

Also looks like we have some ranger/druid magic working in the middle of the desert at 1:04 of the trailer, and that looks like a massive tree growing due to magic. Perhaps there's some allies in Kourna who are tied to druids in some way? Maybe this tree is somehow instrumental to taking out Joko?

The Awakened areas in Kourna heavily remind me of the Mad King's labyrinth in terms of skybox and atmosphere. It's so dark. The whole map itself looks so overcast and tense. The jail in the promo looks really imposing too. Was that a trail of blood in the hallway?

Aurene'll show up too, no surprise there. We'll also be seeing Taimi. I'm curious as to what we'll see of the FMA brothers. Maybe her statement about being nervous isn't part of Joko's war at all, but rather golem surgery? She wouldn't decide THAT quickly though, would she? Also, judging by the promo image on the site, we'll also be seeing Braham. The other character in the image just looks like a character stand-in.

butterflies and purple things Lyssa is coming.> @Chorne.8195 said:

And those look significantly different from our mesmer butterflies, not just in color but in shape as well. Is that an effect from some sort of elonian mesmer spell, or are they some sort of effect from some elonian animal or something? Perhaps we'll meet an elonian mesmer character who will partake in some subterfuge mission with Faren. But in that case, why isn't Kasmeer here?

its means Lyssa is coming.

@Chorne.8195 said:

I'm also extremely confused as to why Faren is in Elona now. Perhaps DR has gotten dragged into the Joko conflict? An awakened general did come into the middle of the city and kill a few citizens last episode, and while that's trivial for US, Jenna will have to deal with it somehow to appease her people. Fatalities in the middle of the city? Awakened invading anywhere and everywhere? There's sure to be a lot of panic in the racial cities over this. Perhaps Faren is working for Jenna to scope out the situation on the front lines. And those look significantly different from our mesmer butterflies, not just in color but in shape as well. Is that an effect from some sort of elonian mesmer spell, or are they some sort of effect from some elonian animal or something? Perhaps we'll meet an elonian mesmer character who will partake in some subterfuge mission with Faren. But in that case, why isn't Kasmeer here?

Actually last we saw Faren he was at the amnoon party and supposedly helped refugees evacuate during the Kralky invasion. So this maybe means that Ellen Kiel, Kasmeer, and Marjory will appear in this episode?

Plot twist: Joko found Scarlet's Corpse and awakened her! :o No, I'm Jok(o)ing...

More seriously, they are no branded crystal or branded at all in this new map, so we don't care about kralky again. They are a ton of Asuran devices around the awakened base, Inquest or not, we will see. The landscape is beautiful, what I note, is in the main speech of Palawa Joko, we only see mummies, awakened and canids, I haven't seen any awakened Inquest within the whole trailer compared as daybreak the first City Farahnur, but it surely mean nothing.. In the ABITS trailer, we just saw Inquest tunnels and heard PA announcers... In domain of kourna we see asuran-flower holograms thingies and monitoring devices on the edges of houses, red cameras, color of Inquest. A mysterious door with a symbol representing the new mastery "break wall" of the new mount, a new fractal which takes place in a cursed/abandonned tomb/underground or catacombs boosted with asuran technologies. After that, adult aurene, the new mount, her mastery. She looks like to be able to travel both on land and water: boobye jackal and skimmer? some vines and, lord faren?Just about Inquest, I don't think technologies and holograms are the main theme, that will be not like aetherblade's retreat where they are an actual group and Inquest adding her footprint on the area, but more awakened: Bones, tar (yeah...) and many, many, many awakened.

@Chorne.8195 said:So for Joko's partying... We don't usually see things we are not present for, so unless this is just trailer filler, ( Which it probably is, ) the commander could be present here. Which, personally, I am hoping for. Joko gets his sweet revenge by forcing us to partake in a humiliating play showing our weakness and his strength, like that awful Turai Ossa play in the Garden of Seborhin event.... and then he kills us.He won't KILL us obviously, but he'll try. Braham and Rox will burst open the roof again or something, deus ex machina. Also, I love how flamboyant Joko is in this segment. His voice acting is absolutely brilliant, too.

And JOKO HAS DECLARED WAR! We definitely won't be able to play him aside for a while and deal with Kralky or whatever for a while, he's forced himself to center stage. We're going to end up killing him or imprisoning him, ala Turai Ossa. Thing is, he has a massive army while the Pact is still in a weakened state. He also has a devastating bio weapon capable of killing everyone. And anyone who dies becomes his soldier. He'll definitely do a ton of damage in one way or another.

Returning to Kourna too.. I'm curious to see what has become of the Monument to the Defeat of Palawa Joko. He probably didn't just obliterate it, because that's far too blunt for him. He's probably twisted it horribly and put his own spin on it. It also appears to have a lot of Inquest influence now... Either Joko has been utilizing all the Inquest technology from his awakened gremlins or he's dealing with invading Inquest and Kralk all at once. Though the positioning of the tech shown in the trailer hints at the prior, since it's in a massive awakened base. They didn't seem to show all that much Branded map in the trailer, and I REALLY hope the map isn't half branded like Vabbi was. I hate exploring branded areas, and I really want to see Kourna and talk to NPCS without Branded mobs attacking me every two seconds and brandstorm making me shield and hide under spikes.

And it looks like we're getting our new mount in some sort of cave system. It's a rollerbeetle, which we've seen before in GW1 in a racing minigame in Cantha. Will we see any Canthan ties to the mount? Who will give it to us in the middle of Joko-controlled Kourna though? It looks to be influenced by recent technology by the tech-bike-thing on the back of it, so will we be seeing elonian Asura? It's highly doubtful but it would be interesting and add to the idea that our major cities and settlements in mainland Tyria are not the only instances of the five races, and that other groups with different customs live in other areas. The mount itself can break specific rock formations, travels quickly on land, and in water too. It can also get quite a bit of air when it hits a ramp. It'll probably become a mount of choice for massive trains going around maps and mount races. Also it is adorable.

The Deepstone fractal is looking like an abandoned Dwarven ruin, judging by the architecture and runes everywhere. That stone is glowing the same color as the runes and floor puzzles, so perhaps it's powering them? If it's a purified dragon crystal like that of Glint and her children, then why do the dwarves have it? Maybe this is a ruin of the Brotherhood of the Dragon. Also, I have to say, the spider boss is rather uninteresting for an ancient ruin. Spider infestation, big deal. Hopefully there's another more interesting boss lying in wait behind that door it's guarding.

Also looks like we have some ranger/druid magic working in the middle of the desert at 1:04 of the trailer, and that looks like a massive tree growing due to magic. Perhaps there's some allies in Kourna who are tied to druids in some way? Maybe this tree is somehow instrumental to taking out Joko?

The Awakened areas in Kourna heavily remind me of the Mad King's labyrinth in terms of skybox and atmosphere. It's so dark. The whole map itself looks so overcast and tense. The jail in the promo looks really imposing too. Was that a trail of blood in the hallway?

Aurene'll show up too, no surprise there. We'll also be seeing Taimi. I'm curious as to what we'll see of the FMA brothers. Maybe her statement about being nervous isn't part of Joko's war at all, but rather golem surgery? She wouldn't decide THAT quickly though, would she? Also, judging by the promo image on the site, we'll also be seeing Braham. The other character in the image just looks like a character stand-in.

About the Spider: could this be Arachnia? The fallen god?

@Arden.7480 said:

@Chorne.8195 said:So for Joko's partying... We don't usually see things we are not present for, so unless this is just trailer filler, ( Which it probably is, ) the commander could be present here. Which, personally, I am hoping for. Joko gets his sweet revenge by forcing us to partake in a humiliating play showing our weakness and his strength, like that awful Turai Ossa play in the Garden of Seborhin event.... and then he kills us.He won't KILL us obviously, but he'll try. Braham and Rox will burst open the roof again or something, deus ex machina. Also, I love how flamboyant Joko is in this segment. His voice acting is absolutely brilliant, too.

It's just a spider. Either a mob or a boss

@ugrakarma.9416 said:butterflies and purple things Lyssa is coming.> @"Chorne.8195" said:

And those look significantly different from our mesmer butterflies, not just in color but in shape as well. Is that an effect from some sort of elonian mesmer spell, or are they some sort of effect from some elonian animal or something? Perhaps we'll meet an elonian mesmer character who will partake in some subterfuge mission with Faren. But in that case, why isn't Kasmeer here?

I mean, I WANT Lyssa to get some explanation in terms of all the Balthazar stuff, but those butterflies really don't seem to be related to her all that much. I don't think it's a good time in the story to focus on Lyssa right now anyway, because Joko is the main focus, and I feel that more six gods stuff would take away from that.We've already learned that she agreed with his banishment and the exodus of the gods, and she is most definitely gone.I don't think it'd be good storytelling to be like, "Nope, JK, here's Lyssa and everything is cool again. Humans, you can keep on worshipping."

@Arden.7480 said:

Eh, I don't think they'd implement an unimplemented GW1 concept that not much of the playerbase knows about. The only mention of Arachnia was a couple landmarks in the Realm of Torment, and the idea of a spider goddess named something related to the word 'Arachnid' seems to be a tired and cliched one anyway.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:butterflies and purple things Lyssa is coming.> @Chorne.8195 said:

Butterflies are Green which would mean either Lyss or Ilya is a Necro/Mesmer hybrid if that's the case... Probably the true identity of Palawa Joko as well(wonder how her sister would react to her sibling terrorizing Elona for centuries...).

@Chorne.8195 said:

@ugrakarma.9416 said:butterflies and purple things Lyssa is coming.> @Chorne.8195 said:

I mean, I WANT Lyssa to get some explanation in terms of all the Balthazar stuff, but those butterflies really don't seem to be related to her all that much. I don't think it's a good time in the story to focus on Lyssa right now anyway, because Joko is the main focus, and I feel that more six gods stuff would take away from that.We've already learned that she agreed with his banishment and the exodus of the gods, and she is most definitely gone.I don't think it'd be good storytelling to be like, "Nope, JK, here's Lyssa and everything is cool again. Humans, you can keep on worshipping."

Just wondering, Lyssa is made of two twins right? What if one of them left Tyria and the other one stayed behind, maybe even without the other gods noticing anything(she's the master of illusion after all)? That would be interesting!

@Arden.7480 said:And do you know what Kourna means? Kralkatorrik!Honestly, I'm kind of curious where in Kourna this is. Kourna is the size of four or five LW maps. This "Domain of Kourna" will be more of a "corner of Kourna" and unlikely to include Kralkatorrik given the utter lack of branded in the trailer.

The shots make me think of Gandara - unfortunately. Firstly, we see a prison, and then we see a large city/town with fully concrete roads and no dirt (the shot with asuratech). I say unfortunately because if the Domain of Kourna is primarily Gandara and its surrounding area, the map name is pretty poorly chosen.

@Arden.7480 said:Anyone recognizes the stone from the incoming fractal? Looks a bit like Vlast's and Glint's memory stones, but it has different color. Interesting...The structures are dwarven from Desert Highlands.

Hard to get a good look at the crystal, but it does use the same shape. Not really the same colors, but it is glowing while those are not though.

@Chorne.8195 said:And it looks like we're getting our new mount in some sort of cave system. It's a rollerbeetle, which we've seen before in GW1 in a racing minigame in Cantha. Will we see any Canthan ties to the mount?

Rollerbeetles come from Kourna and Vabbi in GW1. They had no relation to Cantha besides Rollerbeetle Racing, which had us traveling to some isle on the Battle Isles, which in turn was them importing the beetles IIRC.

Who will give it to us in the middle of Joko-controlled Kourna though? It looks to be influenced by recent technology by the tech-bike-thing on the back of it, so will we be seeing elonian Asura? It's highly doubtful but it would be interesting and add to the idea that our major cities and settlements in mainland Tyria are not the only instances of the five races, and that other groups with different customs live in other areas. The mount itself can break specific rock formations, travels quickly on land, and in water too. It can also get quite a bit of air when it hits a ramp. It'll probably become a mount of choice for massive trains going around maps and mount races. Also it is adorable.

@Chorne.8195 said:I'm also extremely confused as to why Faren is in Elona now.He arrived with Ellen Kiel during the end of Path of Fire. He was "night tanning" in his underwear during our victory party. He joined her airship in evacuating Amnoon during the branded attack in Episode 1.

@Chorne.8195 said:Also looks like we have some ranger/druid magic working in the middle of the desert at 1:04 of the trailer, and that looks like a massive tree growing due to magic. Perhaps there's some allies in Kourna who are tied to druids in some way? Maybe this tree is somehow instrumental to taking out Joko?

Those vines use similar/same texture as the mordrem vines. Which is rather curious as this would be the one and only probable Kralkatorrik reference, and he would be using plant magic vastly different than he uses any other of the Elder Dragons' magic.

its means Lyssa is coming.Scarab Plague people.

It's Scourge colors of the necro warhorn 5 skill bugs.

Most likely a recoloring of these guys:Elite_Locust_Swarm.jpg

EDIT:Seems image link no longer works? Whatever. Also looked closer, and they're 2d wasps. Not butterflies or locusts This reminds me of a certain no longer in-game mob of yellow and white "bees".

Now this could just be re-use of art assets, still representing the Scarab Plague. They're so damn small that it would take a close observation of a still shot to tell it honestly. Or it could just be natural Kournan bug life (there were tons of such before). Hard to say.

@Arden.7480 said:About the Spider: could this be Arachnia? The fallen god?It's just a large Black Widow Spider mob. Though it looks like its fangs got recolored from the pet version.

We saw a bunch of spider mobs in Fortune Vale, it would be more odd for them and destroyers to not be in a fractal of dwarven ruins than to be in one.

@Avador.8934 said:

Just wondering, Lyssa is made of two twins right? What if one of them left Tyria and the other one stayed behind, maybe even without the other gods noticing anything(she's the master of illusion after all)? That would be interesting!

I believe so and personally suspect that said twin is controlling multiple fronts using Chaos, Water and Death Magic(explaining the Green Butterflies) while using various disguises. Once we tear down the Palawa Joko façade(hopefully with the help of Kasmeer's ability to recognize lies) she'll turn to her other fronts for her subtler schemes while controlling the Awakened in her own name for anything overt.

@"Avador.8934" said:Just wondering, Lyssa is made of two twins right? What if one of them left Tyria and the other one stayed behind, maybe even without the other gods noticing anything(she's the master of illusion after all)? That would be interesting!

"Two who are one" would imply inseparable, especially since whenever one is present, the other is. It would be strange if they suddenly separate and do things apart from each other.

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:It's Scourge colors of the necro warhorn 5 skill bugs.

Most likely a recoloring of these guys:Elite_Locust_Swarm.jpg

EDIT:Seems image link no longer works? Whatever. Also looked closer, and they're 2d wasps. Not butterflies or locusts This reminds me of a certain no longer in-game mob of yellow and white "bees".

Now this could just be re-use of art assets, still representing the Scarab Plague. They're so kitten small that it would take a close observation of a still shot to tell it honestly. > Or it could just be natural Kournan bug life (there were tons of such before). Hard to say.

well remembered, can be a "necro thing" or some sort of plague.

@Mickey Frogeater.1470 said:

Butterflies are Green which would mean either Lyss or Ilya is a Necro/Mesmer hybrid if that's the case... Probably the true identity of Palawa Joko as well(wonder how her sister would react to her sibling terrorizing Elona for centuries...).

Could be scarabs.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Arden.7480 said:And do you know what Kourna means? Kralkatorrik!Honestly, I'm kind of curious where in Kourna this is. Kourna is the size of four or five LW maps. This "Domain of Kourna" will be more of a "corner of Kourna" and unlikely to include Kralkatorrik given the utter lack of branded in the trailer.

The shots make me think of Gandara - unfortunately. Firstly, we see a prison, and then we see a large city/town with fully concrete roads and no dirt (the shot with asuratech). I say unfortunately because if the Domain of Kourna is primarily Gandara and its surrounding area, the map name is pretty poorly chosen.

@Arden.7480 said:Anyone recognizes the stone from the incoming fractal? Looks a bit like Vlast's and Glint's memory stones, but it has different color. Interesting...The structures are dwarven from Desert Highlands.

Hard to get a good look at the crystal, but it does use the same shape. Not really the same colors, but it is glowing while those are not though.

@Chorne.8195 said:And it looks like we're getting our new mount in some sort of cave system. It's a rollerbeetle, which we've seen before in GW1 in a racing minigame in Cantha. Will we see any Canthan ties to the mount?

Rollerbeetles come from Kourna and Vabbi in GW1. They had
no relation to Cantha
besides Rollerbeetle Racing, which had us traveling to some isle on the Battle Isles, which in turn was them importing the beetles IIRC.

Who will give it to us in the middle of Joko-controlled Kourna though? It looks to be influenced by recent technology by the tech-bike-thing on the back of it, so will we be seeing elonian Asura? It's highly doubtful but it would be interesting and add to the idea that our major cities and settlements in mainland Tyria are not the only instances of the five races, and that other groups with different customs live in other areas. The mount itself can break specific rock formations, travels quickly on land, and in water too. It can also get quite a bit of air when it hits a ramp. It'll probably become a mount of choice for massive trains going around maps and mount races. Also it is adorable.

@Chorne.8195 said:I'm also extremely confused as to why Faren is in Elona now.He arrived with Ellen Kiel during the end of Path of Fire. He was "night tanning" in his underwear during our victory party. He joined her airship in evacuating Amnoon during the branded attack in Episode 1.

@Chorne.8195 said:Also looks like we have some ranger/druid magic working in the middle of the desert at 1:04 of the trailer, and that looks like a massive tree growing due to magic. Perhaps there's some allies in Kourna who are tied to druids in some way? Maybe this tree is somehow instrumental to taking out Joko?

Those vines use similar/same texture as the mordrem vines. Which is rather curious as this would be the one and only probable Kralkatorrik reference, and he would be using plant magic vastly different than he uses any other of the Elder Dragons' magic.

its means Lyssa is coming.Scarab Plague people.

It's Scourge colors of the necro warhorn 5 skill bugs.

Most likely a recoloring of these guys:
Elite_Locust_Swarm.jpg

EDIT:Seems image link no longer works? Whatever. Also looked closer, and they're 2d
wasps
. Not butterflies or locusts This reminds me of a certain
of yellow and white "bees".

Now this could just be re-use of art assets, still representing the Scarab Plague. They're so kitten small that it would take a close observation of a still shot to tell it honestly. Or it could just be natural Kournan bug life (there were tons of such before). Hard to say.

@Arden.7480 said:About the Spider: could this be Arachnia? The fallen god?It's just a large Black Widow Spider mob. Though it looks like its fangs got recolored from the pet version.

We saw a bunch of spider mobs in Fortune Vale, it would be more odd for them and destroyers to not be in a fractal of dwarven ruins than to be in one.

Gandara could potentially get the same treatment as Fahranur as being an area restricted to a story mission. Which seems to be a common thing they have done with the last 2 LW episodes. I recall the areas around Gandara to be quite lacking unless we get to go to the waterworks and old sunspear base.

Archived