FIX SERPENT'S IRE — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

FIX SERPENT'S IRE

Boogiepop Void.6473Boogiepop Void.6473 Member ✭✭✭
edited June 19, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Been trying to get it for the golem backpiece SINCE S2 DROPPED. Even with 50 people can't do it for MONTHS. The CC phase is ludicrously difficult. I have literally done this almost daily for MONTHS and never finished it ONCE. This is without a doubt the WORST event in the entire game. And to top it off outside of the collections it is part of the rewards for all this effort are GARBAGE. Fix it and improve the rewards, or remove it from ALL collections and chains.

<1

Comments

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2018

While I agree the event could stand to be tweaked, it gets done. Many players have seen the event completed successfully and have their griffons and the golem back item to show for it. 50 people can easily handle it. Hell, 25 people could probably handle it fine if everyone brings what is needed. The thing is that many players still don't understand that they HAVE to bring hard CC skills to get the second part of the chain done. Having good leaders who explain what needs to happen helps a lot, but even then people will sometimes still think the advice doesn't apply to them. And it doesn't help that the rewards aren't great for the amount of time needed for the whole chain; that means the event won't attract many repeat plays.

I'm sorry that you've had crappy luck with the groups you've tried this with. I believe that there are some guilds that will run this event weekly (or more often, sometimes). Maybe someone else can recommend which guilds do it.

Oh look. I have a signature now.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Probably worth removing the hyperbole since I doubt anyone has done this "hundreds" of times. It is difficult and I agree it should be reworked or have improved rewards, but it does succeed regularly enough each week (EU) that it clearly isn't broken.

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

Or you know... there could be some challenge left in Open World to give your achievements some value.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

Wouldn’t something have to be broken first in order for it to be fixed? Just because there’s a meta that require players to put a little effort and use CC, rather than just the typical mashing of their skills, doesn’t mean it’s broken.

• I haven't hosted it this month, since my stomach has been really bad and the tendon in my left arm keeps locking up. But, back when I hosted this event, there was an odd thing I noticed. Even though I'd get 3 or so successes each week, every time there was a failure about half a dozen players would complain "I've been trying this for a month and I can't get it done!" I wonder, where are these people when I complete this event 10 times a month? TTS does theirs every week, so that's another 4 times a month. I know that people will host successful runs later in the afternoon, guilds do their own runs, and also there are weekend runs.

So, I developed a theory. I call it the "git gud" theory. There's a collection of players who either have mismatched builds, or are simply bad at the game. These players congregate together through mysterious means. So, whenever one of my events fails, it is because a group of these players have come together and their general ineffectiveness pulls the entire map down.

I noticed this in two ways: first, a scary number of scourges will gather together during these events. In spite of being played only 10% of the time (therefore 1/10 players on average should be a necromancer), for some reason I'll regularly pull 10-15 scourges during my failure runs. Condi scourges, of course, are the worst class for the event, alongside of condi mirages and tempests, and in spite if my urging to bring other classes or builds, these people keep mysteriously showing up in mass. The second way is that I host other events on a regular basis. Dragon's stand is pretty infamous, with people refusing to leave the taxi group, refusing to spread out, refusing to volunteer for groups, refusing to evenly split, refusing to coordinate during the boss phase, and most frighteningly refusing to respond to direct whispers about their behavior. It happens in tangled depths, too, where up to half the squad will be gloriously uncooperative.

The short version is this: git gud. If you've been trying this every day for a month and you can't complete it, then the only common denominator is you. Learn to do good DPS, learn to do good Crowd Control, learn to organize, learn to follow the directions of your commander, and if no commander will do it then learn to command yourself.

"Self awareness is knowing when you're sitting at the throne of ignorance." --Leo G.

edited June 19, 2018

i think that they’re just exaggerating and it’s only a few times that they’ve actually attempted it. I’m sure it’s fairly easy for Anet to verify this. Someone exaggerated their salvage rates a few years ago and Anet was able to disprove them so I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re able to pull up a players event history for this map.

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:
    I haven't hosted it this month, since my stomach has been really bad and the tendon in my left arm keeps locking up. But, back when I hosted this event, there was an odd thing I noticed. Even though I'd get 3 or so successes each week, every time there was a failure about half a dozen players would complain "I've been trying this for a month and I can't get it done!" I wonder, where are these people when I complete this event 10 times a month? TTS does theirs every week, so that's another 4 times a month. I know that people will host successful runs later in the afternoon, guilds do their own runs, and also there are weekend runs.

Out of curiosity, do you see many people repeating this event? I know it's probably difficult to say because the names all kinda blur together, I'm just curious if many people regularly do this event.

• @Pifil.5193 said:

I haven't hosted it this month, since my stomach has been really bad and the tendon in my left arm keeps locking up. But, back when I hosted this event, there was an odd thing I noticed. Even though I'd get 3 or so successes each week, every time there was a failure about half a dozen players would complain "I've been trying this for a month and I can't get it done!" I wonder, where are these people when I complete this event 10 times a month? TTS does theirs every week, so that's another 4 times a month. I know that people will host successful runs later in the afternoon, guilds do their own runs, and also there are weekend runs.

Out of curiosity, do you see many people repeating this event? I know it's probably difficult to say because the names all kinda blur together, I'm just curious if many people regularly do this event.

Out of the failures or the successes? When people say they've been trying to complete the event for a month, I don't have much of a choice other than to believe them. When it comes to successes, I do see a handful of players who will repeat the event. Unfortunately, a lot of players abruptly quit trying after succeeding once, so the event does suffer from brain drain.

"Self awareness is knowing when you're sitting at the throne of ignorance." --Leo G.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:
    While I agree the event could stand to be tweaked, it gets done. Many players have seen the event completed successfully and have their griffons and the golem back item to show for it. 50 people can easily handle it. Hell, 25 people could probably handle it fine if everyone brings what is needed. The thing is that many players still don't understand that they HAVE to bring hard CC skills to get the second part of the chain done. Having good leaders who explain what needs to happen helps a lot, but even then people will sometimes still think the advice doesn't apply to them. And it doesn't help that the rewards aren't great for the amount of time needed for the whole chain; that means the event won't attract many repeat plays.

I'm sorry that you've had crappy luck with the groups you've tried this with. I believe that there are some guilds that will run this event weekly (or more often, sometimes). Maybe someone else can recommend which guilds do it.

25 coordinated people probably can.
    25 random people who happens to have showed up probably not.

Had around that many on last failed attempt. One of the CC groups was the only one that managed to kill a zealot ...

• Julian.9473Julian.9473 Member ✭✭

The guild Open Community does this event regularly. I got the backpack thanks to them. Check their calendar on their website.

• SlippyCheeze.5483SlippyCheeze.5483 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ditto, TTS, who also have a public calendar for this thing.

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2018

People quit this event after one success because the CC bars are pointlessly hard to break and the rewards for success are dog poo.

If you could do this with 20 people and one decent CC build at each boss, maybe this would be worth coming back to. There's really no need to penalise the entire map, including the people who actually did bring CC, because there weren't 10 hard CC builds at every node.

edited June 19, 2018

@Ben K.6238 said:
    People quit this event after one success because the CC bars are pointlessly hard to break and the rewards for success are dog poo.

If you could do this with 20 people and one decent CC build at each boss, maybe this would be worth coming back to. There's really no need to penalise the entire map, including the people who actually did bring CC, because there weren't 10 hard CC builds at every node.

You only need like five

• Kiza.5630Kiza.5630 Member ✭✭✭

I still find the event fun enough to do. Been using random LFG to form the groups every time, but you can definitely see a huge change. When it used to fill almost instantly many months ago, you now barely start with 30 ppl. That is with listing on LFG at least 30 mins before at prime time. If you try to turn a 50 mann bounty squad into it at least half of the players leave.

Out of the two runs in the last two weeks both didn't succeed. Actually not even come close. And that's with constantly telling ppl what to do and answering any questions, helping them adjust for CC. The squads usually consist of about half who have either never done it before or never succeeded at it. So yeah, I can understand the frustration of players who want to do it.

I will still continue to do this once in a while. But many players seem to have taken a f*ck it attitude and don't even try the thing anymore. This is turning into another Triple Trouble which is rather sad. Because it's open world and used to be very doable. There is no prestige attached to this event, nor title or any bragging rights. It's even part of a LS map collection which was always kinda directed at casual play. So even if you want to cry git gud, gotta face reality, it just doesn't work very well anymore.

• MetalGirl.2370MetalGirl.2370 Member ✭✭✭

I literally don't get you people. When PoF launched I was doing Serpent's Ire daily for months .. and never had a problem and it was a complete pug group meanwhile here on forum people are complaining how it's impossible.
    It just makes me think that you guys just get the group that is not willing to talk and organize between themselves and it's not event that's hard.

I guess Anet should just give us meta rewards for waypointing to the map when meta starts and that's it because anything more than that is apparently too hard, because as you know, it's never to do with people, it's all to do with the game being too difficult. - but i guess if they did that, all of you people will complain how it's all too easy, seems to me like they can't get it right with you either way.

Mike O'Transactions

• Stalkingwolf.6035Stalkingwolf.6035 Member ✭✭✭

reward is just bad so not many players will play the meta. i finished the meta 3 times. for 2 collections and once for fun ( haha not really ).
    i needed about 10-15 tries. Main problem = not enough players. often there were 2-3 Bounty trains on the same map but they didnt helped because bounty trains are more rewarding. and if bounty trains are more rewarding .....
    imo the worst meta from GW2.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:

You only need like five

Surely that depends on the number of people at the event? If it scales up then you need a lot more than 5.

In HoT I've seen wyvern matriarch events where a few people can burst down her defiance bar easily but then latecomers come to the event and you're lucky to get her half the way down.

edited June 22, 2018

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:

You only need like five

Surely that depends on the number of people at the event? If it scales up then you need a lot more than 5.

In HoT I've seen wyvern matriarch events where a few people can burst down her defiance bar easily but then latecomers come to the event and you're lucky to get her half the way down.

That’s with scaling. Five people can easily keep one of the bosses broken the entire time.

Edit: I missed the last part of your post so I wanted to address it.

The only reason it’s difficult to break its bar is because so many players insist on using ranged attacks and then get aggro. That charge attack only occurs when someone is at a distance. If everyone was in melee, it would never use it and be more or less stationary the entire time.

• Boogiepop Void.6473Boogiepop Void.6473 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2018

I have never seen these organized groups everyone speaks of. Most of the times I am the person posting on LFG and trying to get people on the map to come. Maybe organized ruins are happening in other regions, but there don't seem to be any on NA.

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ben K.6238 said:

You only need like five

That is not just due to scaling. That is also because of people aggroing and pulling it to terrible positions. This can make it impossible to hit her with any sort of melee CC because she has air one side and fire on the other. People failing to stick close to her is one of the biggest sources for creating a mess. Fortunately on most days we can manage to do it in under 2 minutes these days.

Then there is people either not paying attention to the smaller wyverns or they are being obscured by matriarch's wings. The small wyverns can hit extremely as well as being able to hit well beyond what their animation would suggest. It's a bit ridiculous that the "minor" adds hit harder(versus most of mat's attacks) than the main boss.

edited June 21, 2018

Just tried leading the event again because no one else would. Full group of 60+ people still couldn't get it.

• Lead better? You didn't just tag up and hoped for the best, did you?

edited June 21, 2018

@crepuscular.9047 Not sure what is up with the scheduling but all the serpent's Ire stuff is at 2AM my time. Not doable.

• crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Boogiepop Void.6473 said:
    @crepuscular.9047 Not sure what is up with the scheduling but all the serpent's Ire stuff is at 2AM my time. Not doable.

aww...

maybe try the Sunday's 2am UTC one if you can stay up late ;)

[RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭

The public calendar is UTC, I think, but I'm sorry. I somehow missed you were EU based, and thought you were NA, so it was much more suitable. Apologies for the wasted time.

• VanWilder.6923VanWilder.6923 Member ✭✭✭

My story is every time doing the Serpent event, my ping reached over 800, screen became 2D, all of my Skills and casts loading nonstop.
    I did it 2 times to get the things I need and never come back. My squad members might thought that I was afk during the phase.

edited June 21, 2018

Been jumping on at primetime NA this week to see if there's any truth to this notion that there are organised groups (and even pug groups... really now?) that run this event successfully.

So far, it's hot air as usual. Still got most of the week to go before the next LS chapter launches though, so let's see what happens over the weekend.

edited June 21, 2018

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

The public calendar is UTC, I think, but I'm sorry. I somehow missed you were EU based, and thought you were NA, so it was much more suitable. Apologies for the wasted time.

I am NA. I thought the calendar auto-adjusted to the local time zone.

That said, I was on Tuesday night where according to this schedule there should have been a Serpent's Ire run and there was no organized group that I could find at that time. That dosen't mean they weren't on, but I couldn't find them to join if they were.

edited June 21, 2018

@Ben K.6238 said:
    Been jumping on at primetime NA this week to see if there's any truth to this notion that there are organised groups (and even pug groups... really now?) that run this event successfully.

So far, it's hot air as usual. Still got most of the week to go before the next LS chapter launches though, so let's see what happens over the weekend.

If it’s an organized group, the map is likely full as you’re checking just before the event starts. TTS has had it scheduled at least twice this past week. I’m not sure how you missed that if you were checking this past week during NA primetime.

Since people would rather complain that the event is impossible rather than ask how to git gud at hosting, I'm going to go ahead and volunteer this information on how to host at a serviceable level. For this, you will need:

(1)A commander tag
    (2)The patience of Job
    (3)A high CC class with full glass cannon gear.
    (4)Enough physical health to handle the stress of hosting this event.
    (5)A plate of food to give the whole squad. Personally I use Omnomberry Pie, but any general food will really help out.

Personally, I liked to host the event half an hour before server reset, but post reset you're likely to have more luck.

Yeah, this... is a bit of a problem.

I caught your group at 7pm Eastern which worked on mostly pugs (and that's the first occasion I've seen such a group succeed out of roughly 30-40 attempts).

The co-ordination required to get this done in such circumstances is greater than Triple Trouble at this point (thanks to power creep mainly). Which is fine; we need some hard content in the game. There's two big problems with this one though.

1. It's wedged in two collections full of casual-friendly content. That means it is frequently going to be the only thing that players pursuing those collections can't do, and with the sheer amount of organisation you've had to do to make this work at peak hour, off-peak players are up kitten creek without a paddle.
    2. The rewards for completing it successfully are abysmal. There's no point repeating this after completing the collections because you get better loot faster by doing bounties, and that's just on this map. Additionally you only need a very small number of players who know what they're doing to get bounties done.

Problem 1 can be addressed by simply taking it out of those collections, or adjusting them to fulfill the goals by merely killing a zealot in the first phase. But that's just going to finish off what's left of this moribund event. So the best solution would be fixing the risk/reward ratio, either by improving the rewards to the point it's worth the difficulty, or reducing the difficulty to match the Mouth of Torment event in the next map over.

Which could be done by cutting 80% off the break bar HPs at minimum scaling. That's literally the only thing that would need to happen to fix this.

@Ben K.6238 said:

Since people would rather complain that the event is impossible rather than ask how to git gud at hosting, I'm going to go ahead and volunteer this information on how to host at a serviceable level. For this, you will need:

(1)A commander tag
    (2)The patience of Job
    (3)A high CC class with full glass cannon gear.
    (4)Enough physical health to handle the stress of hosting this event.
    (5)A plate of food to give the whole squad. Personally I use Omnomberry Pie, but any general food will really help out.

Personally, I liked to host the event half an hour before server reset, but post reset you're likely to have more luck.

Yeah, this... is a bit of a problem.

I caught your group at 7pm Eastern which worked on mostly pugs (and that's the first occasion I've seen such a group succeed out of roughly 30-40 attempts).

So you’ve actually done 30-40 attempts or is that an exaggeration? It’s just such a high number that I find it difficult to imagine you would attempt it that many times. With some players’ propensity to embellish their claims, it also leads me to suspect.

The co-ordination required to get this done in such circumstances is greater than Triple Trouble at this point (thanks to power creep mainly). Which is fine; we need some hard content in the game. There's two big problems with this one though.

I disagree that it requires as much coordination as TT. I’ve done that boss (or would it be bosses) many times with a group that insisted on splitting everyone up by class and then spreading them out evenly. You then had another guild, I think it was TTS, that didn’t bother with any of that and they still succeeded.

There are varying degrees of coordination that can be made to meta events. Just because one group micro manages how they run theirs, doesn’t mean that that is what is required in order to succeed.

1. It's wedged in two collections full of casual-friendly content. That means it is frequently going to be the only thing that players pursuing those collections can't do, and with the sheer amount of organisation you've had to do to make this work at peak hour, off-peak players are up kitten creek without a paddle.

Define “casual-friendly content”. Why does the optional collection, with an optional reward, have to be completed easily?

1. The rewards for completing it successfully are abysmal. There's no point repeating this after completing the collections because you get better loot faster by doing bounties, and that's just on this map. Additionally you only need a very small number of players who know what they're doing to get bounties done.

Yes, the rewards are terrible and you can get better rewards elsewhere. Technically, you can apply this to many other things in the game than just this meta.

Bounties don’t require anyone to know what they’re doing unless there’s a mechanic that involves breaking its bar. And do be honest, those ones tend to require the same percentage of the group to do that as what is generally needed for Serpent’s Ire.

Problem 1 can be addressed by simply taking it out of those collections, or adjusting them to fulfill the goals by merely killing a zealot in the first phase. But that's just going to finish off what's left of this moribund event. So the best solution would be fixing the risk/reward ratio, either by improving the rewards to the point it's worth the difficulty, or reducing the difficulty to match the Mouth of Torment event in the next map over.

Collections are perfectly fine as is. I’m not against an increase in that metas rewards.

Which could be done by cutting 80% off the break bar HPs at minimum scaling. That's literally the only thing that would need to happen to fix this.

No. That would essentially remove all challenge to the meta and reduce it has nothing more than any other world boss where you just mash your keys to win.

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2018

Been trying to get it for the golem backpiece SINCE S2 DROPPED. Even with 50 people can't do it for MONTHS. The CC phase is ludicrously difficult. I have literally done this almost daily for MONTHS and never finished it ONCE. This is without a doubt the WORST event in the entire game. And to top it off outside of the collections it is part of the rewards for all this effort are GARBAGE. Fix it and improve the rewards, or remove it from ALL collections and chains.

Ok... That's unlucky... I've tried it twice and finished it once in the last month... Still 50% success on a World Event shows it's not doing great.
    It's more like the reward doesn't fit the effort... If it had more guaranteed Elegies, and something like multiple chests or whatever, i'd guarantee you there would be more people doing it!

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭

i did it again and really theres something broken, even for hard CC the bar decay is too slowly, i guess theres some problem with escalation.

main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

• You're welcome. I used to host it every weekday, and before that I would host it once a week during the weekday. The daily run has a higher chance of failure than doing it once a week, since the player pool doesn't regenerate as fast, but when I started the daily runs my success rate is around 50%. Of course, I don't have the strength to do that now.

I do these things mostly to show that you can do it. Whenever someone complains that the event is impossible, and I can just show up with no warning and host a successful run with no guild, then that makes me wonder about that person. Hence, my "git gud" theory.

Now, personally I think that the global buff that each zealot gives each other should be changed. Currently it reduces all incoming damage by 33%. With all 5 zealots, this comes to a 166% reduction, meaning that until two zealots are dead you aren't going to get a realistic DPS increase from good coordination. I'd change this buff to be a 20% reduction. That way, good coordination is meaningful, and condi builds won't be discriminated against as much. Also, better rewards would be nice.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:
    i did it again and really theres something broken, even for hard CC the bar decay is too slowly, i guess theres some problem with escalation.

It isn't broken, it just has a really solid amount of defiance, uh, "hit points" I guess is the way to put it. Basically, the defiance bar is like a separate health bar, and you do "damage" to it using CC skills. These mobs just have a huge pile of it, to force a focus on CC to bring them under control, the same way you sometimes get a mob with a huge pile of regular health, to force spending more time on damage.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

It isn't broken, it just has a really solid amount of defiance, uh, "hit points" I guess is the way to put it. Basically, the defiance bar is like a separate health bar, and you do "damage" to it using CC skills. These mobs just have a huge pile of it, to force a focus on CC to bring them under control, the same way you sometimes get a mob with a huge pile of regular health, to force spending more time on damage.

Giving things massive damage reduction is probably more common. Also what is being done here.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

Giving things massive damage reduction is probably more common. Also what is being done here.

I'm not sure there is a practical difference, but you are probably right. I never bothered to check the underlying mechanisms for the implementation, since it doesn't change my interactions with it. Thank you for clarifying.

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

I'm not sure there is a practical difference, but you are probably right. I never bothered to check the underlying mechanisms for the implementation, since it doesn't change my interactions with it. Thank you for clarifying.

my suspicion originated from the following: I always did with zerg(like 10+ for each zealot), then recently i tried with 5 people for each zealot, the bar loss per CC hit seems to me the same as if it were 10 or 12 people. basically with half of people's the chances of failing double, instead of de-escalating the difficult.

main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

There is when there are mechanics that scale off the damage done.

edited June 23, 2018

When I said I had been doing it multiple times a day for over a month I was NOT exaggerating. It's gotten me to the point where I'm so pissed off but OCD enough that this is all I can stand to do in the game outside of raiding. And even my OCD won't carry it much further...

And it should be noted this is far from the first thread I have written about this event. I have been begging them to fix it since the release of PoF.

• Ziooo.8932Ziooo.8932 Member ✭✭✭

Attempted 4 times, successfully did 3 of them. Isnt hard at all, just need organization and people willing to change their builds.

The event is boring and unrewarding, its been months since i last done it...probably will stay that way until anet puts better rewards or ties it to a collection yet again. The way it is right now it isnt worth anybodys time tbh.

Necro mains either are masochists or become masochists after a balance patch.

When I said I had been doing it multiple times a day for over a month I was NOT exaggerating. It's gotten me to the point where I'm so pissed off but OCD enough that this is all I can stand to do in the game outside of raiding. And even my OCD won't carry it much further...

And it should be noted this is far from the first thread I have written about this event. I have been begging them to fix it since the release of PoF.

TTS is doing a run after the next daily reset (Saturday night - NA). Contact one of them, and see if they can get you into their map when they run it.

• OK, I just got it thanks to TTS. Thanks. If they would make the rewards worth it for people to organize regularly then the event wouldn't be that bad.

Also, Good God ANet fix the horrible lag in phase 3!!!

• Sojourner.4621Sojourner.4621 Member ✭✭✭✭

OK, I just got it thanks to TTS. Thanks. If they would make the rewards worth it for people to organize regularly then the event wouldn't be that bad.

Also, Good God ANet fix the horrible lag in phase 3!!!

Honestly this is the reason I mostly don't bother with the event. It has nothing to do with the skill required or even the rewards, but because of the brandstorm and the other players and the general business of the event itself, this event tanks my framerates to anemic levels even when 50+ zerg vs zerg in wvw or any other world boss or meta events don't hit me anywhere close to as hard (MOSTLY I blame the brandstorm effects. This seems to be the only element that's super different vs other events.)

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    So you’ve actually done 30-40 attempts or is that an exaggeration? It’s just such a high number that I find it difficult to imagine you would attempt it that many times. With some players’ propensity to embellish their claims, it also leads me to suspect.

That's not an exaggeration. I've attempted this event regularly for two stretches of about two weeks, and tend to AFK or do something else between meta-events, so it's not unusual for me to play 3 events per day when I'm trying for it. Owing to my current shift schedule I'm able to play during NA peak right now, but usually I've been on Oceanic prime-time. Most of the meta-events I've played don't even get enough people to reach the second stage because the map's dead during those hours.

It's succeeded twice while I've been there. Once with a guild-sponsored group two days after episode 2 dropped, the second time with a group of pugs last week.

I disagree that it requires as much coordination as TT. I’ve done that boss (or would it be bosses) many times with a group that insisted on splitting everyone up by class and then spreading them out evenly. You then had another guild, I think it was TTS, that didn’t bother with any of that and they still succeeded.

I don't quite follow you here. You're saying TT requires less co-ordination, because you don't have to focus so much on making sure every member of the group has a viable CC build?

There are varying degrees of coordination that can be made to meta events. Just because one group micro manages how they run theirs, doesn’t mean that that is what is required in order to succeed.

The two successful attempts I've joined for Serpents' Ire were micro-managed. Unsuccessful attempts with similar numbers were mostly not micro-managed. Not to say you have to tell everyone what to use if they already know the mechanics, but I doubt that my experience has been a coincidence. People naturally go for DPS over CC, and zerg over spreading out. What people naturally do will wipe the map here.

Define “casual-friendly content”. Why does the optional collection, with an optional reward, have to be completed easily?

The whole game is optional, so that's irrelevant. The "Exaltation of the Guardians" collection requires participating in the main meta-events for each map. You need to get a Superior Buried Treasure in Desert Highlands (trivially easy), purchase goods after participating in the Casino Blitz (trivially easy), defeat the Doppelganger in the Elon Riverlands (requires a zerg but no co-ordination), defeat the Legendary Forged Demolisher in the Desolation (requires a zerg but no co-ordination), and successfully complete the Serpents' Ire meta-event in Vabbi (requires a very co-ordinated zerg).

"Redeeming IG-6417" has a lot more steps, but likewise all of them can be completed solo or with un-coordinated groups. Except one.

When there is a collection that starts with easy achievements that anyone can do at any time of the day, it's leading players into thinking this collection is suitable for them to attempt. And then they run into that one solitary part of the collection that they can't do, bash their heads against it for a while, realise this doesn't make sense and post angry threads like this on the forums, and get told by people like you that the solution is "git gud". Well thanks.

Yes, the rewards are terrible and you can get better rewards elsewhere. Technically, you can apply this to many other things in the game than just this meta.

Bounties don’t require anyone to know what they’re doing unless there’s a mechanic that involves breaking its bar. And do be honest, those ones tend to require the same percentage of the group to do that as what is generally needed for Serpent’s Ire.

Except that all the bounties can be solved by throwing more people at them, because eventually people just spam enough CC to break the bar anyway (see chak gerent and Mouth of Mordremoth). You can't just throw people at Serpent's Ire and get the same result, but you do get the same reward as all the events where you can.

No. That would essentially remove all challenge to the meta and reduce it has nothing more than any other world boss where you just mash your keys to win.

If it's not going to be turned into an event where you mash all your keys to win, it shouldn't be rewarded like an event where you mash all your keys to win. Otherwise no experienced players, unfinished collections, angry threads, "git gud", you get the picture.

• CDBeauty.3691CDBeauty.3691 Member ✭✭

So... two years later, it's still the case that never ever anyone plays this meta, no commanders who organize it and it's still in the collection for the golem backpiece. I would like to know if anyone can give me a link go a group of people on EU who do that meta. Doubt that it exist. But then how am I suppose to finish the backpiece? The undoable part is at the end of all the adventures. I left it for last (its number 7 from the 21 achievements) in the redeeming collection, thinking that I will dedicate time to do that later. I dedicated but kitten! 10 days and not even one meta was started or done. There is simply nobody there. How to do it? :> Its using up 20 inventory slots for all the things I done already, I don't want to erase all that and forget about it... Or keep 20 slots occupied for unknown amount of time (probably forever yes? no?) Talk about "I'm stuck" :>

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020

@CDBeauty.3691 said:

So... two years later, it's still the case that never ever anyone plays this meta, no commanders who organize it and it's still in the collection for the golem backpiece. I would like to know if anyone can give me a link go a group of people on EU who do that meta. Doubt that it exist. But then how am I suppose to finish the backpiece? The undoable part is at the end of all the adventures. I left it for last (its number 7 from the 21 achievements) in the redeeming collection, thinking that I will dedicate time to do that later. I dedicated but kitten! 10 days and not even one meta was started or done. There is simply nobody there. How to do it? :> Its using up 20 inventory slots for all the things I done already, I don't want to erase all that and forget about it... Or keep 20 slots occupied for unknown amount of time (probably forever yes? no?) Talk about "I'm stuck" :>

First off, the original post is out of date. This meta was reworked last year:
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/77925/game-update-notes-may-28-2019#latest

It got a fixed timer, was reduced significantly in difficulty and rewards for completing it were increased. The situation as described by topic creator is not the case any longer. The meta was not being done before but saw a significant increase in completion after the changes.

The meta is still not done at all times, but if you keep an eye out on the LFG and use https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timers an event timer to see when the event, which as mentioned is now on a fixed timer, is soon to be up. You should be able to find a group of players doing the event. Simply staying in 1 map near the event will NOT be useful, since chances are high you might not even be on the correct map.

Good Luck.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I haven't been there for a few months but when I was visiting Vabbi frequently I often saw groups doing Serpent's Ire (on EU) and it seems unlikely the situation would have changed in that time. I'm not sure if any of them advertise it online though, I just saw them organising it through map chat and LFG when the event was about to start. If I wanted to find a group for it I'd do the same thing I always do: use the Wiki to check when the event is due to start, then go to Vabbi and check both in the map I'm in and in LFG for people doing the event, and if I don't see anyone try to get a squad together myself.

Another option of course is to ask your guild/s to help. Maybe they could make it a guild event?

The tricky part with trying to organise it yourself (at least for me) is then there's no guarantee anyone else will know how to find the Forgotten Zealots, so finding them all within the time limit could be difficult. (I don't actually know if there's a trick to it or not, I just know it's gone much more smoothly when someone else is leading and it always seems to be the commander who finds them.) After that, now the CC requirement has been drastically reduced, it's pretty much just a matter of having enough people to kill everything within the time limit.

I could help you find a group, but it won't be until the weekend because I won't be able to play for more than a few minutes each day until then, so it's probably faster to get someone else to help.

Danielle Aurorel, Desolation EU. Mini Collector

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings"