Whats the state of the game 2018? (activity etc)

I just bought both the expansions cus they were on sale, but I just wanted to hear whats the state of the game, cus I joined a guild that said this game was dying, and people kept leaving more than newcomers come back.

So.. Whats the state of the game? Did I burn my money on a half dead game, or will it still be active for years to come?

@"Mike JezZ.4261" said:So.. Whats the state of the game? Did I burn my money on a half dead game, or will it still be active for years to come?

Welcome to Tyria.

You'll find most maps have people in them, sometimes tons of people around the time of certain events. If you need company or help, shout out in /map or use the LFG tool. I've yet to go anywhere or try anything, no matter how obscure, for which that didn't work. (Sometimes I call out for the assistance, sometimes because I'm doing the event/tasks anyhow and figure I can assist out folks who might not be willing to ask.)

It's impossible to say "for years to come." We can say that every time ANet releases a new Living World episode (as they will next Tuesday and every 2-3 months), a new expansion (as they seem to be doing every 18-30 months), and with each balance patch, we seem to get a ton of attention. So I'd say the future looks as promising as can be hoped for any MMO that's nearing 6 years of age. (Your mileage might vary.)

Doesn't sound like the best Guild fit for you, perhaps.At the present time, there's a big influx of players; if the forums are anything to go by. I think many will agree that the game isn't going anywhere in the foreseeable future. All maps have players in them, and next week should see a lot of activity in the new map, of course.If Guild Wars (One) is still up and running after 12+ years, I don't think there's much chance of Guild Wars 2 shutting down soon.

Good luck.

I’d get another guild. A guild that’s telling newcomers that the game is dying is a troubled guild.

No, the game isn’t dying or anywhere near. There’s new people coming in and you’ll see people on the maps. Of course some maps are more popular than others and may appear empty but if a big event starts like a Champion and it gets called out in map chat you’ll see people show up in numbers.

Enjoy your playtime. The game has a lot of content and is adding more several times a year.

As a relative newcomer, I'd say it is not anywhere near of dying. The game has its own weaknesses (I'm mostly PvP'ing in both forms), but the company seems to be addressing those issues quite frequently - which does not always please all people. Compared to few other similar games I have played, this game has two great strengths: (1) all content - except maybe dungeons - is still somewhat relevant, that is, you will have people in core and HoT maps even that there is newer expansions and maps existing: to certain extent, of course, new maps divide people, and (2) this game is very friendly for coming back. When I started, I once discussed with someone coming from 5 years break, and s/he told me two things: first, s/he left because there was not much end game during that period, and it has greatly changed during the years; second, all the things s/he got back those days were still relevant, that is, even that some things are and have been hard to grind, they do not disappear. The effort you put in the game is not obsoleted in the next patch, or in next expansion. It has been very pleased experience to see that happening, and it gives me trust to keep going on (unlike in the previous game I played, where everything you got were trashed right after the next update).

Only Anet know for sure, but there are 150k+ people using gw2efficiency (PoF was released last year so they are not historic), and that would be a subset of total players:https://gw2efficiency.com/account/player-statistics

It's hard to judge as the game automatically creates map instances to keep capacity, and there will be peak times for different time zones. Due to the easy levelling most players will be in lvl 80 "meta" zones or doing instanced content like raids/fractals/PvP/wvw with the occasional visit to lower zones for dailies.

Guild members moaning about the decline of the game reflects more on that guild's status (older guilds are often in decline as leaders drop out) - pick ones that are active in game, and don't be afraid to organise things.

ANet has hinted that some of their team may currently be working on the next expansion for GW2. They also have teams working on Living Story content for GW2 which is likely to last for several more years. Thus, it seems likely that GW2 will continue to get updates for many years to come.

AFAIK, there has been no word yet about a future GW3, or if they even have any plans for that to ever occur. Right now there don't seem to be any major technical reasons driving the move to a new game. That's a distinct difference from GW1 where the core system didn't allow for many of the fundamental changes they apparently wanted to bring to GW1 but couldn't (open world, dynamic events, trading post, etc). That's not saying there aren't some issues in GW2 that might be solved by a future incarnation, but rather that those issues are either small in number or low in importance to the overall viability of the game's success at this time.

@Mike JezZ.4261 said:What about Guild Wars 3? Does it seem like Anet focus on GW2 instead of making a sequel that makes us lose all progress?

Can people stop it already with the GW3 talk? GW3 is never going to happend, if ANet want to make that silly move they will most likely loose half of their playerbase.How many games do get a 3rd game anyway? (a MMO game)It's like saying the same thing about WoW getting WoW2.

@Alga.6498 said:

@Mike JezZ.4261 said:What about Guild Wars 3? Does it seem like Anet focus on GW2 instead of making a sequel that makes us lose all progress?

Can people stop it already with the GW3 talk? GW3 is
never
going to happend, if ANet want to make that silly move they will most likely loose half of their playerbase.How many games do get a 3rd game anyway?
(a MMO game)
It's like saying the same thing about WoW getting WoW2.

What if they let you import all your stuff from GW2?

The game seems to be very much the opposite of dead. The only thing that might imply that the game is dead or dying is that LS episodes are taking longer than they did in S3 to produce, but considering the scope of these episodes I'm honestly not surprised that the 2-3 month target is being missed. The new maps are really, really big, and they're adding a new mount as well- seems like tons of content to me. With the game going from strength to strength, I don't see any reason to expect it to downturn at any point in the next few years.

@Kalendraf.9521 said:ANet has hinted that some of their team may currently be working on the next expansion for GW2. They also have teams working on Living Story content for GW2 which is likely to last for several more years. Thus, it seems likely that GW2 will continue to get updates for many years to come.

I am pretty sure they've outright said that at any point in time, a third or half of their team are actively working on the expansion.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

never
going to happend, if ANet want to make that silly move they will most likely loose half of their playerbase.How many games do get a 3rd game anyway?
(a MMO game)

What if they let you import all your stuff from GW2?

Then it may as well just be an expansion, no ?

@crepuscular.9047 said:most core maps are populated due to World Bosses and the free to play players

HoT core maps except Dragon Stand are still very active all the time because the final map metas gives out really good rewards, PoF core maps are pretty much dead because metas give really poor rewards

See to me this is misinformation. PoF maps are not nearly dead, or close to dead or dead. PoF maps are DESIGNED differently than HOT maps. They're not zerged. They're not dead either.

I spend a lot of time on PoF maps... because I get stuff I need from them. You don't get events like Palawadan and AB, because you know, those are the most profitable things in the game and people will gravitate to them. But there are a lot of people who don't play to do the most profitable meta over and over. A lot of people. They don't all show up at the same time on the same schedule, because for most things there is no schedule.

Yet as I walk around those maps, as soon as I pop a tag or announce something in map chat, suddenly, out of nowhere, people show up. The maps are big and there's nothing to focus the population. But they are far from dead.

@Alga.6498 said:

@"Mike JezZ.4261" said:What about Guild Wars 3? Does it seem like Anet focus on GW2 instead of making a sequel that makes us lose all progress?

never
(a MMO game)

WoW is well beyond "WoW 2" by now, they just never changed the public name of it.

It's like the old joke about granddaddies axe. Oh, sure, you might have had to replace the head once or twice when it got too old, and you might have had to replace the handle three or four times over the years, but it is definitely still the same axe granddaddy was using all those years back...

It is vastly more likely that ANet will essentially replace GW2 "under the hood" as times goes on than that they would send it into maintenance mode and produce something completely new in the hope that players will follow. Not to mention that they can do that incrementally, so they don't have to make all the changes at the same time, and can spread out the cost (and bugs) over a longer period.

Like the seven years the game has been running. ;)

@Vayne.8563 said:

@crepuscular.9047 said:most core maps are populated due to World Bosses and the free to play players

HoT core maps except Dragon Stand are still very active all the time because the final map metas gives out really good rewards, PoF core maps are pretty much dead because metas give really poor rewards

See to me this is misinformation. PoF maps are not nearly dead, or close to dead or dead. PoF maps are DESIGNED differently than HOT maps. They're not zerged. They're not dead either.

I spend a lot of time on PoF maps... because I get stuff I need from them. You don't get events like Palawadan and AB, because you know, those are the most profitable things in the game and people will gravitate to them. But there are a lot of people who don't play to do the most profitable meta over and over. A lot of people. They don't all show up at the same time on the same schedule, because for most things there is no schedule.

Yet as I walk around those maps, as soon as I pop a tag or announce something in map chat, suddenly, out of nowhere, people show up. The maps are big and there's nothing to focus the population. But they are far from dead.

pop me a tag and help me get the Junundu Whisper achieve then, all i see are bounty trains and hp trains moving around the map

been camped out at the ghosts every time Desolation events daily comes up for the last couple of months, even with map chat and tag the max was just 3 wurms; people just make bounty trains to finish off the daily :disappointed:

in other POF zone, there has been quite a few posts asking for serpant ire to be nerfed; though I dont have issue doing it since I'm with TTS, but I can understand those people's frustrations

I remember when I was doing the 3 high judges in vabbi's achievement, i missed the launch period crowd, took me couple of weeks of Vabbi events dailies attempts to finally kill Sidan

@crepuscular.9047 said:

pop me a tag and help me get the Junundu Whisper achieve then, all i see are bounty trains and hp trains moving around the map

been camped out at the ghosts every time Desolation events daily comes up for the last couple of months, even with map chat and tag the max was just 3 wurms; people just make bounty trains to finish off the daily :disappointed:

in other POF zone, there has been quite a few posts asking for serpant ire to be nerfed; though I dont have issue doing it since I'm with TTS, but I can understand those people's frustrations

I remember when I was doing the 3 high judges in vabbi's achievement, i missed the launch period crowd, took me couple of weeks of Vabbi events dailies attempts to finally kill Sidan

So you pick 2 events out of hundreds of events, that you can't do when you want to, even though one of those two you say you can do. How is that terribly different from Triple Trouble? It's a single group event that requires a group. It requires organization. And the rewards are such that that one event isn't done that often.

Since you can do probably 98% of the events in those zones and some of the events are very well populated, you might say that an event is dead, rather than the zones are dead. And even events that need more get done sometimes. People said and posted the same thing about Vine Tooth Prime in AB. I've seen many posts on it, even though none of those people ever claimed AB was dead.

An event that isn't done because it's not rewarding enough is not an indication of a dead zone. It's an indication of a badly scaled event, or an event that offers insufficient rewards. None of this changes one word I said. If there are bounty trains there, then the zone isn't dead. If people are doing the dead house, the zones aren't dead. If big guilds come in and do the meta in Vabbi, it's not dead. People use words like dead that give people the impression nothing in those zones gets done and that's just not the case.

Again it's different from HOT where you can do the meta, but because most stuff in those zones can be soloed and doesn't need a zerg, zergs tend not to form. That doesn't mean the zones are dead by any definition I've ever heard.

PVE is well.. ok I guess its what this game focuses on. Dungeons are dead. I personally find fractals terribly repetitive. If you are looking for hardcore real raids that challenge you in new ways. Look elsewhere. Raiding here is a joke. Open world is where this game really shines though. Its beautiful for an older engine and is fairly dynamic game play wise.PvP is a complete rolling tumbling dumpster fire. Worst game balance I have seen going back to vanilla EQ. Cheating, match manipulation you name it. Avoid this mode like the black plague.WvW is ok depending onw hat server you are on. Its getting ready for large changes so sit tight on that.

Overall 6/10. I would stick around though and see if you find what youre looking for.

@"Mike JezZ.4261" said:What about Guild Wars 3? Does it seem like Anet focus on GW2 instead of making a sequel that makes us lose all progress?

No. ANet has expressed long term plans for GW2. They started working on GW1 when they decided that the old game/engine couldn't support the sort of storytelling or encounters or experiences they wanted to produce. As long as GW2's engine allows them to do fun stuff, it would cost ineffective for them to consider making a sequel that causes ANet to lose all progress.

For more, see the existing thread on the topic:Should There Be a GW3

It is hard to tell the number of active players. Though the game is successful and prosperous. In terms of active players, It is either the second biggest mmo beyond wow, or the third behind wow and ffxiv.

The game also receives map, story, end game PvE and class balance update on quarterly basis. I personally think that PoF maps, strory and updates so far, have been lower in quality than Hot. I would not consider it a down trend. They are still good.

Archived