Does mesmer really has to be such purple-pink-all kind of masks and butterflies profession?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Mikali.9651 said:Because I can't bring myself to play that profession, I just can't, it is killing my eyes. Can there be, in any way, an update or a way to change the colors of that profession? It is too mesmerizing and makes me confused.

Not really, no. Also, since the technology to change effect colors for spells doesn't exist today, this would be a significantly larger amount of background work to enable than you might hope.

@Ashen.2907 said:I would love the ability to dye fx, even if only client side.

You may be able to change it with, eg, gw2hook or reshade to change the colors, or otherwise manipulate the effects. I know you can do some pretty amazing things with them, but it is beyond my expertise to advise you on how to achieve these results.

If not, your only path would be to extract, modify, and reinject the shaders and/or textures used by the game for those effects, which is definitely in the realm of bannable actions.

@Mikali.9651 said:Because I can't bring myself to play that profession, I just can't, it is killing my eyes. Can there be, in any way, an update or a way to change the colors of that profession? It is too mesmerizing and makes me confused.

There's too much pink with the mesmer. Also they have utility skills called Glamour. It doesn't get any feminine than that.

@"Dreadshow.9320" said:I wish class fx were dyable. First I would orange dye the blue out of Guardian Firebrand then purple dye the green out of Necromancer and finally Mesmer pink would become Mesmer neon green.

i wish red for guardian effects, Guardian is near perfect for a "fire themed", my balthazar clone.

@Hoodie.1045 said:Also they have utility skills called Glamour. It doesn't get any feminine than that.

Glamour originated as a term to describe magic, spells, etc. It retains that meaning to this day. If you consider the use of magic spells to be feminine you may have to restrict yourself to playing warriors (and not use all of their abilities as some are magical in nature).

@Dreadshow.9320 said:I wish class fx were dyable. First I would orange dye the blue out of Guardian Firebrand then purple dye the green out of Necromancer and finally Mesmer pink would become Mesmer neon green.

I would love to be able to change ability appearance the same way you are able to in PoE. I would definitely pay for altered ability appearances for all of my classes. Being able to customize your abilities to match your character theme would be awesome. After a while, you could see many of the same class, with the same build, that all look completely different.

@"Mikali.9651" said:Because I can't bring myself to play that profession, I just can't, it is killing my eyes. Can there be, in any way, an update or a way to change the colors of that profession? It is too mesmerizing and makes me confused.

well, if you have Windows 10, you can apply a color inverter filter on your computer screen :)

• Open Windows Settings panel by pressing Win+I
  • Click "Ease of Access" tile
  • Click "Color & high contrast" on the left sidebar
  • select a color filter from the dropdown list, such as "Protanopia" , which seems to make things more blue-tinted, or "Inverted" for the full psychedelic experience, which makes the mesmer stuff look green & blue :p

Hate to go all social justice on you, but fragile masculinity much? If you're bothered by the colour pink (mesmer colours are actually magenta, purple and royal blue btw) and butterflies and think they are unmanly then you need to broaden your vision. I doubt that female guardian players feel that their femininity is threatened by the signature blue used in guardian skills to the point where they won't play the class.

On the topic on butterflies being feminine, I once read that butterflies plague the remains of battlefields to drink the blood of the dead. But you know, they're really girly.

I like the mesmer effects and they really fit the theme of a mesmer, though it would be nice to dye the class effects so I can have armor schemes that don't have to go with purple.

I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

@Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

@"Funky.4861" said:Hate to go all social justice on you, but fragile masculinity much? If you're bothered by the colour pink (mesmer colours are actually magenta, purple and royal blue btw) and butterflies and think they are unmanly then you need to broaden your vision. I doubt that female guardian players feel that their femininity is threatened by the signature blue used in guardian skills to the point where they won't play the class.

Yeah no. It doesn't take a frail ego to find dissatisfaction in aesthetics. Using that kind of backward logic you could pressure anyone into doing anything because "only people with a frail ego wouldn't like it." The pink-blue gender inversion in history is proof that the sexes do not naturally appreciate the same colors or aesthetics, just like how they don't like the same flavors or smells. Or even movies or books....

People shouldn't be afraid to embrace that they don't like things, and be proud of that fact. If the OP doesn't like all of the pink butterflies, then that is O.K. If he OP also doesn't like them because he thinks they are too girly, that is O.K.

Since my 2nd fav. color is purple i've made my mesmer into purple, close to pink tho. But i agree with top post. Mesmers don't need to be purple\pink all the time. There could be unique dye slot for illusionary effects. Instead of pink, player could choose yellow or red.

But, as i understand GW2 lore, each magic type have it's own unique color spectrum. And also, there is another But, Tyria's magic flow currently chaotic. So... ;)

The butterflies relate to chaos, the masks to the idea that your enemy would be fighting illusions and not your true self, and lastly the pink/purple is the color of ether/chaos/unspecified magic. I sometimes wish I could change the butterflies to ravens, but mostly I think it all fits really well.

Archived