Does mesmer really has to be such purple-pink-all kind of masks and butterflies profession? - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Does mesmer really has to be such purple-pink-all kind of masks and butterflies profession?

2>

Comments

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2018

    @ReaverKane.7598 said:

    @meowtier.1364 said:

    @ReaverKane.7598 said:

    @meowtier.1364 said:

    @ReaverKane.7598 said:

    @Dreadshow.9320 said:
    I wish class fx were dyable. First I would orange dye the blue out of Guardian Firebrand then purple dye the green out of Necromancer and finally Mesmer pink would become Mesmer neon green.

    That would reduce the readability of effects even further!

    @meowtier.1364 said:

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    @Dreamy Lu.3865 said:
    I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

    @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)
    Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

    This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

    Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

    Yeah the classes have always had their color themes from art to in game stuff such as the pvp graph showing what classes you play.

    Weirdly the ele's looks blue but it's the red

    Look at the feet where they didn't crop out the aura. Don't you just love it when people ignore details just to match their theory!

    Is that last part @ me bc I'm super confused

    The class color scheme is shown in that image through the "auras" surrounding them. Elementalist's top half is transparent. But you can see the aura around her legs, a big red blotch.

    Yes I'm aware which is why I said
    "Weirdly the ele's looks blue but it's the red"
    idk what theory you're talking about when I posted it specifically to say and show that each class have always had their own colors.

    Elementalist icon is red in game and in that picture so is the aura... The blue you see in the drawing is from lightning, one of it's elements...
    If you're still not satisfied, i'd point you to the art on this page: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/

    @Lambent.6375 said:
    Maybe it's possible for them to change the default "aura" colors that each class has, and sell it as a gemstone feature

    A spin off thread should be made. I have doubts they would do it, but nothing will happen if you don't ask.

    The problem with this kind of change is that even with very specific colored effects, the game is still very hard to read... Imagine if we could now free form class FX. It'd be impossible to distinguish a lot of aoes from each other, also it would allow players in modes like WvW and sPvP to tweak their FX colors to make them harder to see in-game, thus harder to miss...
    It's like in League of Legends where a lot of people consider some skins P2W because they make skill-shots harder to see, and thus harder to avoid, allowing this kind of change would just crank that effect up to 11.

    I was mentioning this divide in another thread but I'm glad my hypothesis has some grounds. I think the players more concerned with creativity, skill variety and custom options likely favor standard/old school MMOs while those that focus on fun, challenging active combat will be at odds with them.

    I personally would like a middle ground to be struck as needing to learn the tells for pvp is exactly the challenge they seek. I never minded the color of Mesmer myself, but I never really liked the butterflies. Considering that the illusion skills of a Mesmer should have remnants of the caster, it's odd that such a distinct feature is copied by all Mesmers. The breaking glass is rather distinct but generic enough to go with the shatter theme, but not butterflies. I'd rather pick a theme for my Mesmers (but I no longer play them) like feathers to go with her armor.

  • Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I really wish the effects would take on the colors of your outfit scheme. Making a mesmer that looks awesome in Yellow and Black, for instance, and having pink effects, just doesn't look right. I put up with it, but this would be nice to see changed.

  • ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @meowtier.1364 said:

    @ReaverKane.7598 said:

    @meowtier.1364 said:

    @ReaverKane.7598 said:

    @meowtier.1364 said:

    @ReaverKane.7598 said:

    @Dreadshow.9320 said:
    I wish class fx were dyable. First I would orange dye the blue out of Guardian Firebrand then purple dye the green out of Necromancer and finally Mesmer pink would become Mesmer neon green.

    That would reduce the readability of effects even further!

    @meowtier.1364 said:

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    @Dreamy Lu.3865 said:
    I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

    @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)
    Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

    This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

    Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

    Yeah the classes have always had their color themes from art to in game stuff such as the pvp graph showing what classes you play.

    Weirdly the ele's looks blue but it's the red

    Look at the feet where they didn't crop out the aura. Don't you just love it when people ignore details just to match their theory!

    Is that last part @ me bc I'm super confused

    The class color scheme is shown in that image through the "auras" surrounding them. Elementalist's top half is transparent. But you can see the aura around her legs, a big red blotch.

    Yes I'm aware which is why I said
    "Weirdly the ele's looks blue but it's the red"
    idk what theory you're talking about when I posted it specifically to say and show that each class have always had their own colors.

    Elementalist icon is red in game and in that picture so is the aura... The blue you see in the drawing is from lightning, one of it's elements...
    If you're still not satisfied, i'd point you to the art on this page: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/

    What are you talking about? I'm not debating whether it's red or not. In fact I SAID that it's red RIGHT THERE if you wanna reread it again. I was only mentioning that the ele is surrounded by blue in the art so it could MAYBE be confusing.
    I don't know what you think I'm not satisfied with or unsure of but I am 100% completely without a doubt sure that the ele's color is red as I said in my original comment

    "Weirdly the ele's looks blue but it's the red"

    I'm just saying the red is there on the art!

  • Ithilwen.1529Ithilwen.1529 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I wouldn't have it any other way.

    Mesmerizing Girl

  • Seb.8207Seb.8207 Member

    I've always wondered if Anet took inspiration from Psylocke. Granted she uses telekinetic attacks where a closer match to the mesmer in the superhero genre would be telepathic attacks à la Professor X.

    Still, those purple butterflies...

  • @Seb.8207 said:
    I've always wondered if Anet took inspiration from Psylocke. Granted she uses telekinetic attacks where a closer match to the mesmer in the superhero genre would be telepathic attacks à la Professor X.

    Still, those purple butterflies...

    Psylocke's original powers were precognition, telepathy, mental bolts, mind control, and generating illusions...

  • LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭

    You can change the class colors of weapon attacks with legendaries.
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bolt
    Instead of black mist trails as a rev, i now make lightning trails. And several skills have been modified with lightning effects.

    Default class weapon trails are replaced with lightning trails.
    Lightning sounds are heard while attacking.
    For mesmers:
    Mesmer: Clones inherit all visual and audio effects of Bolt when wielding in the main hand.

  • @Biff.5312 said:
    I really wish the effects would take on the colors of your outfit scheme. Making a mesmer that looks awesome in Yellow and Black, for instance, and having pink effects, just doesn't look right. I put up with it, but this would be nice to see changed.

    I have no problem with the pink butterflies, etc but this would be great. Funnily enough my Mesmer a mixture of mostly Abyss and Pyre - having this reflected in the effects would be amazing.

    "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you different." ~ Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

  • Sojourner.4621Sojourner.4621 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2018

    @sorudo.9054 said:

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    @Dreamy Lu.3865 said:
    I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

    @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)
    Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

    This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

    Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

    the problem here is that the blue flame suggests guardians use gas (or propane) as fuel for their attacks, blue flames don't happen without any kind of gas fuel.

    That's not true at all.... any flame that is especially hot can turn blue.... flames gain a blue tint either from particular chemicals contaminating the flames or from reaching a temperature of roughly 1500 K (~2240° F or 1226° C) at which point the flames entirely consume and convert any impure material in to invisible vapors. Flames burn blue when the air that is burning with them is uncontaminated by excess carbon. The reason that gases like Oxyacetylene and Propane burn blue is because of their composition and the fact that they convert the clean gas used to burn them entirely in to carbon dioxide and water vapor. It is carbon impurities that cause the flame to be yellow. Guardian flames are made directly from magic... there is zero impurity so why would they be anything but blue?

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Sojourner.4621 said:

    @sorudo.9054 said:

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    @Dreamy Lu.3865 said:
    I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

    @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)
    Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

    This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

    Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

    the problem here is that the blue flame suggests guardians use gas (or propane) as fuel for their attacks, blue flames don't happen without any kind of gas fuel.

    That's not true at all.... any flame that is especially hot can turn blue.... flames gain a blue tint either from particular chemicals contaminating the flames or from reaching a temperature of roughly 1500 K (~2240° F or 1226° C) at which point the flames entirely consume and convert any impure material in to invisible vapors. Flames burn blue when the air that is burning with them is uncontaminated by excess carbon. The reason that gases like Oxyacetylene and Propane burn blue is because of their composition and the fact that they convert the clean gas used to burn them entirely in to carbon dioxide and water vapor. It is carbon impurities that cause the flame to be yellow. Guardian flames are made directly from magic... there is zero impurity so why would they be anything but blue?

    But it would be cool to have a, "powered by natural gas," sticker on my guardian.

  • Sojourner.4621Sojourner.4621 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ashen.2907 said:

    @Sojourner.4621 said:

    @sorudo.9054 said:

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    @Dreamy Lu.3865 said:
    I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

    @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)
    Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

    This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

    Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

    the problem here is that the blue flame suggests guardians use gas (or propane) as fuel for their attacks, blue flames don't happen without any kind of gas fuel.

    That's not true at all.... any flame that is especially hot can turn blue.... flames gain a blue tint either from particular chemicals contaminating the flames or from reaching a temperature of roughly 1500 K (~2240° F or 1226° C) at which point the flames entirely consume and convert any impure material in to invisible vapors. Flames burn blue when the air that is burning with them is uncontaminated by excess carbon. The reason that gases like Oxyacetylene and Propane burn blue is because of their composition and the fact that they convert the clean gas used to burn them entirely in to carbon dioxide and water vapor. It is carbon impurities that cause the flame to be yellow. Guardian flames are made directly from magic... there is zero impurity so why would they be anything but blue?

    But it would be cool to have a, "powered by natural gas," sticker on my guardian.

    Hah, that would be a fun title....

    To expound further... if anything it's much stranger that Elementalist flames AREN'T blue. Any flames conjured directly in to being from magic should be unless you're deliberately lowering the temperature or the oxygen flow enough to make them look more orange and "flamey."

  • otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2018

    Most classes have color schemes.

    Gurdian, light blue.
    Necro, dark green/Black.
    Warrior, SB, gold.
    Ranger, green.
    Rev, grayish mists.
    Eng, holo, whatever the glow would be (glowing light blue?)

    So.. I do not see it much of an issue Mesmer being pink/purple. It meshes well with Mesmer design and skills. If it was black, it would not look as good.

  • castlemanic.3198castlemanic.3198 Member ✭✭✭✭

    The mesmer aesthetic is perfectly fine as is. There's no reason to change it and every reason not to change it.
    The only way I'd agree to mesmer fx having colour variations is if every class effects can have colour variations. Elementalists with purple fire, red lightning, green earth, and orange water, necromancers with bright yellow spells effects, warriors with pink fx, rangers with black fx, bright pink spell effects for mallyx abilities etc. etc.

    Having the creative ability to client side change the colour of spell fx for every class would be fine for me, but none of this "only change mesmer because girly" nonsense.

    If you join a debate and provide little to no proof when the other side provides lots of evidence, you can't then declare yourself the winner of that debate. Veterans can make signatures apparently.

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Sojourner.4621 said:

    @Ashen.2907 said:

    @Sojourner.4621 said:

    @sorudo.9054 said:

    @Vayne.8563 said:

    @Dreamy Lu.3865 said:
    I do love the visual effect on mesmer. But it is true that it is all pink and purple: For someone who doesn't like it... Well, I see the problem.

    @Blude.6812: The Dreamer is a short bow. The longbow one is Kudzu. And yes, the Dreamer is lot of pink too. :)
    Now it is not exactly the same than for mesmer, because that bow is optional. Someone who does not like the visual effects can just ignore it. There is even an alternative: Chuka and Champawat. For mesmer, it is different: There is no alternative mesmer. That makes the pinky pink side of it mandatory to play the profession.

    This thread made me realize that mesmer is the only profession with such a unique dedicated color affecting all of it. The elementalists and necromancers have different color for their visual effects depending what they use. The other professions have no real color. Mesmer is the unique one like that.

    Well it's hard to play a guardian without seeing blue flame, and it's almost impossible to play a necro without seeing green all over the place, including death shroud. Every profession really does have a color theme and it's more prevalent in mesmers because of the colors being so flamboyant. I mean I see blue fire all the time playing my guardian.

    the problem here is that the blue flame suggests guardians use gas (or propane) as fuel for their attacks, blue flames don't happen without any kind of gas fuel.

    That's not true at all.... any flame that is especially hot can turn blue.... flames gain a blue tint either from particular chemicals contaminating the flames or from reaching a temperature of roughly 1500 K (~2240° F or 1226° C) at which point the flames entirely consume and convert any impure material in to invisible vapors. Flames burn blue when the air that is burning with them is uncontaminated by excess carbon. The reason that gases like Oxyacetylene and Propane burn blue is because of their composition and the fact that they convert the clean gas used to burn them entirely in to carbon dioxide and water vapor. It is carbon impurities that cause the flame to be yellow. Guardian flames are made directly from magic... there is zero impurity so why would they be anything but blue?

    But it would be cool to have a, "powered by natural gas," sticker on my guardian.

    Hah, that would be a fun title....

    To expound further... if anything it's much stranger that Elementalist flames AREN'T blue. Any flames conjured directly in to being from magic should be unless you're deliberately lowering the temperature or the oxygen flow enough to make them look more orange and "flamey."

    Well if this were CoH, I'd say if the color of your flames are a strange color, its because they likely have a specific origin or effect unique to an individual. I remember a player having an origin that utilized dragon magic where the dragon's blood (they had its heart trapped in a crystal) was the origin of the flame and so the flames were deep crimson and ink-like. Considering there was a Rain-of-Fire skill and seeing the inky red flames pouring from the sky, it was an interesting spectacle.

    And I've always assumed that Guardian's fire isn't actually that hot unless you're evil or a sinner...or maybe that's DnD Paladin...

  • Faowri.4159Faowri.4159 Member ✭✭

    Are you kidding? D: It's the best part of playing mesmer!

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @otto.5684 said:
    Most classes have color schemes.

    Gurdian, light blue.
    Necro, dark green/Black.
    Warrior, SB, gold.
    Ranger, green.
    Rev, grayish mists.
    Eng, holo, whatever the glow would be (glowing light blue?)

    So.. I do not see it much of an issue Mesmer being pink/purple. It meshes well with Mesmer design and skills. If it was black, it would not look as good.

    Could the differing colors associated with the Elite Specs have any correlation to the schools of magic combined to create the effects? Doesn't Choronomancer utilize more white and blue in its abilities? And I know Scourge uses more yellow...Berserker has a hot red going too.

  • Musaroxy.2874Musaroxy.2874 Member ✭✭✭

    While it doesn't help with the actual skillbar/weapon attacks, you can change the color of the phantasms to suit your character's color scheme. The Poly-luinescent Refractors change the phantasms from pink to one of the four colors they have. Even if it's not all the colors, it's a good start.

    "You know what they say: Curiosity pruned the Sylvari."

  • Carighan.6758Carighan.6758 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I don't see the problem. Going by class "color":

    • Guardian: blue-ish
    • Revenant: dark red
    • Warrior: yellow
    • Engineer: orange
    • Ranger: light green
    • Thief: black
    • Elementalist: bright red
    • Mesmer: pink-purlish
    • Necromancer: dark green

    That's a lot of colors for ~everyone to pick from. What's the specific issue here?

  • Majic.4801Majic.4801 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ashen.2907 said:
    I would love the ability to dye fx, even if only client side.

    I'd buy that for a dollar!

    "Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside. Always follow what is true." -- Sentry-skritt Bordekka
    "I am so much more important than whatever it is you're doing!" -- Explorer Hiffa
    "Harpy love hurts!" -- Shaman Shoba

  • Steve The Cynic.3217Steve The Cynic.3217 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Mikali.9651 said:
    Because I can't bring myself to play that profession, I just can't, it is killing my eyes. Can there be, in any way, an update or a way to change the colors of that profession? It is too mesmerizing and makes me confused.

    Frankly, the only thing about my Mirage that's going to kill my eyes is if she falls out of the top of her armour...

    (Aristocrat's armour, "Winged Headpiece" helmet, armour dyed in Vincent, Bloodstone Indigo, Recall, Turquoise, Fuchsia. Hair is Amethyst with Magenta accessories.)

    @Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

  • MrForz.1953MrForz.1953 Member ✭✭✭

    There are quite many things that disturb me with Mesmer, but purple pink and butterflies aren't among them.

    Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Pirate - Jade Quarry

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.