Please nerf Twilight Oasis!

Today I was in Twilight Oasis for 1 hour because of the last boss. She is soo hard in Tier 3 that we couldn't bring her health down to 6% and as soon as we reach that threshold she goes berserk eventually I had to quit. Tell me I am not the only person facing this issue! It's challenging but if we get the same outcome, again and again, that means there is something wrong.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Glider.5792 said:That boss has soo many checkpoints, so even if your group dies alot, she will die eventualy.However, since it took you that long to kill it (or quit ?), i dont think the problem was the boss, but your group.

well, I thought someone would say something like this but the thing is no one likes this one even my guildies hate it. Plus getting a perfect team all the time is not possible because it kinda depends on luck don't you think!!

@lawrenceCG.3896 said:

@Glider.5792 said:That boss has soo many checkpoints, so even if your group dies alot, she will die eventualy.However, since it took you that long to kill it (or quit ?), i dont think the problem was the boss, but your group.

well, I thought someone would say something like this but the thing is no one likes this one even my guildies hate it. Plus getting a perfect team all the time is not possible because it kinda depends on luck don't you think!!

Having a synergistic team is one aspect of GW2's combat when getting to the higher levels. If you have troubles getting the perfect team, learning a new class is one thing you can do on your own. For example if all your friends are playing dps, you might want to gear and learn chrono or druid to be the support.

The idea of multiple tiers is that it gradually gets harder so you need to become a better player, have a better composition or both.

@lawrenceCG.3896 said:

@"Glider.5792" said:That boss has soo many checkpoints, so even if your group dies alot, she will die eventualy.However, since it took you that long to kill it (or quit ?), i dont think the problem was the boss, but your group.

The boss is a mess, but not impossible. Its definetly one of the hardest fractal bosses, but that is why there are check points every 15-20%.Yes, you will not get a "perfect" team always, but every team should be able to kill her in a resonable time due to checkpoints.Most of my friends/guildies also despise this fractal, but that is not due to the boss herself, but due to all the trash mobs and random instabilities that make it annoying. In my opinion, this is one of the best bosses, since shes an actual threat and you actualy need to avoid atacks.

Another note: If you think shes hard in t3, wait for t4, even more fun ;)

@lawrenceCG.3896 said:

That's easy to refute - I like that fractal. It's not very easy or relaxed, that's for sure, but the boss is just great. Both thematically and mechanically.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:It is one of the most nerfed fractals. Honestly your problem is being stuck in t3. T3 is known for having really bad pugs.

I did mention about the T3 but in t1 or t2 this fractal becomes unplayable and then people starts leaving :/ and this kinda reminds me of League of Legends, like literally people just rage quit because how hard it is ! :anguished:

I have already nerfed it to the ground, as in, I don't even bother playing it. Even when played skillfully, the instance takes too long and is overly punishing. If I skip a fractal daily, the world keeps turning, so why subject myself to it? It isn't as if it has unique rewards, and I already have all the achievements.

I would run Aquatic ruins before I run TA.... /smh

@"Mikeskies.1536" said:She's not that difficult. Even when she has Adrenaline Rush on T4. Practice dodging mechanics.

HAhahhaha =) , that moment when you run out of endurance and all you can see around is giant yellow circles and you say in your mind "Oh St, I'm **** " not to mention your best friend the best hugging buddy Flux Bomb. At the end when you are dead all you can say is fml :') why am I doing this!

@lawrenceCG.3896 said:

@"Mikeskies.1536" said:She's not that difficult. Even when she has Adrenaline Rush on T4. Practice dodging mechanics.

HAhahhaha =) , that moment when you run out of endurance and all you can see around is giant yellow circles and you say in your mind "Oh S
t, I'm ****
" not to mention your best friend the best hugging buddy Flux Bomb. At the end when you are dead all you can say is fml :') why am I doing this!

You have a special action key that acts as an extra dodge and a stunbreak. It also negates flux bomb if you time it right.

@Sephylon.4938 said:

HAhahhaha =) , that moment when you run out of endurance and all you can see around is giant yellow circles and you say in your mind "Oh S
t, I'm ****
" not to mention your best friend the best hugging buddy Flux Bomb. At the end when you are dead all you can say is fml :') why am I doing this!

You have a special action key that acts as an extra dodge and a stunbreak. It also negates flux bomb if you time it right.

You are 100% right, however, you see her attacks are so overwhelming that I forget to breath let alone timing. (I am not exaggerating)

@lawrenceCG.3896 said:

Neither a perfect team nor any luck are involved in killing Amala. Having a healer is very helpful, but then they aren't really rare.

People tend to underestimate the impact of a good dps on the amala encounter.All it takes is one strong dps.

Back when there was the old Last Laugh instability, I used to join every lfg that was stuck @amala that I saw (ranging from t2 up to t4, mostly t3).On a dps role I could easily carry this fractal and farm some easy relics (the checkpoints are really what makes this possible - just got to play safe for the last phase).

There were some exceptions but I'd claim a success rate of 80-90%.

Edit: however since they changed LL I barely see people that struggle with this frac

@Glider.5792 said:Another note: If you think shes hard in t3, wait for t4, even more fun ;)That's a part of the problem, actually. You see, it's simply unbalanced on lower tiers. Its T1 could easily place on the high end of t2's, t2 coud well be a t3, and t3 is not easier than the average difficulty of t4's. And then we've got the t4, that is even harder than that. We had that problem earlier with Shattered Observatory (in fact, we still do even after its lower tiers got nerfed).

I won't be surprised if the new fractal we're supposed to get next week won't have the same problems attached to it. Because so far it seems that Anet is very much interested in pushing the difficulty in each fractal installment, and decreasing fractal community more and more.

@Geisterlicht.6083 said:People tend to underestimate the impact of a good dps on the amala encounter.All it takes is one strong dps.

Back when there was the old Last Laugh instability, I used to join every lfg that was stuck @amala that I saw (ranging from t2 up to t4, mostly t3).On a dps role I could easily carry this fractal and farm some easy relics (the checkpoints are really what makes this possible - just got to play safe for the last phase).

There were some exceptions but I'd claim a success rate of 80-90%.

Edit: however since they changed LL I barely see people that struggle with this frac

To be honest, I don't think the checkpoint helps that much because when we were playing, we brought her health down to 6% 3 or 4 times as I recall and every time we hit that threshold, she went berserk every time and killed all of us and then we would just start from 65 percent health which was pretty annoying.

I don't think any of the fractals are too difficult. But some aren't very enjoyable after doing them more than a few times. TO is a prime example: I love the idea of the last fight: a boss that takes on aspects of all the human gods. That fight is potentially a lot of fun.

But in practice, there's just too much trash on the way. It makes sense lore & script wise; it's just not enjoyable to go through. I also think that's true of the new Molten Boss fight. Once you get the idea of the trash mobs, well, it's just an example of ANet's idea that, "if one set of mobs is fun, then 6 sets must be 36 times as fun." (Spoiler alert: no, it's more like 1/6 as fun.)

But I don't think the fights are "too hard" and need to be nerfed. I just think it's too laborious at the moment. I'd like to see the progress of reaching bosses to be more streamlined.I am looking forward to the fractal team's plans for updating instabilities — it will probably be more than a few months before we see anything, but I think there's a lot of potential to make fractals more interesting and fun by changing that first.

@lawrenceCG.3896 said:It's challenging but if we get the same outcome, again and again, that means there is something wrong.

Yes, something is wrong, although it may not be the game's balance. Each encounter is an interaction between the challenge (in this case, Amala), character builds, and player skill. Considering that I've cleared Amala on T4s on a regular basis since release, even if it sometimes requires two healing supports, the fight is balanced, for the most part--not entirely well-designed due to the visual noise, but the numbers look good. (Speaking of visual noise, do turn on Effect LOD in your game options)

Then we look at character builds and team compositions. Amala in T4s, especially with crazy Instability combinations (e.g. Adrenaline Rush and Afflicted, especially since the former lasts so long), is best done with two supports, lots of protection, cleanses, etc. This is where we see Druids struggle, and support Scourges and Tempests shine, for example. If you're running in with open world or WvW builds like Celestial Scourges with Runes of the Stars, or pistol/pistol Daredevils/Deadeyes that squeek out 3k DPS, you're definitely going to struggle in T3, let alone T4, even with strong heals and buffs to carry you. In other words, T3 Fractals is really a watershed for character builds; we see how sensible builds perform far, far better than ones that aren't well thought out. Furthermore, as you progress through T3s, and fights become longer and harder, the efficacy of support builds start to shine. Whether they provide boons, healing, barriers, or even something as simple as group condition cleanses, knowing your character's capabilities and what they have to offer to the group goes a long way.

Last but not least, there's player skill. In my time interacting with players of varying skill levels throughout Fractals, the most common mistake I find in players is the assumption that Fractals levels are gated simply by Agony Resistance (AR). Players assume that as long as they have the recommended AR for the Fractal, they should be able to complete it without problems in a timely manner. Hence, they go out and buy a bunch of Infusions from the TP, cobble up the AR requirements (or not , in some hilarious cases), and jump into higher-tier Fractals. This generally works throughout T2, due to how forgiving many mechanics and damage numbers are, but the Tier I always see Fractal newcomers struggle the most is T3. There are many reasons to this, but the one I generally notice in players stuck in T3 are the bad habits they carry with them from the lower tiers. Many T3 players I've seen enter these Fractals without fully appreciating the threats of key mechanics, or even understand the mechanics of a fight in the first place. Taking Amala for example, I often see players (even in T4) get confused about the how to deal with the walls during the Grenth phase, or appreciate the threat of the lightning strikes during the Dwayna phase, or knowing where to stand, or the importance of boon removal, stability, condition cleanse, or even how to use the Special Action Key during the fight. Hits players used to ignore in T2 does more, which then affects their damage output as they panic and run away from the boss, thereby extending the fight and making their lives a living nightmare.

I'll end with this, and it's something most players hate to hear, let alone admit. If you or your team isn't good enough to handle a particular Fractal at T3, or even T4, do it on a lower tier. At most, you miss out on one chest and a handful of Fractal Relics, in exchange for a smoother, less stressful run.

Learn to dodge those 2-3 really hard hitting skills. All the others will be healed by your healer/your personal heal, as they hit for really low damage. The only times i have problem with TO in t4 is when people start running around panicking and as a druid it's quite hard to heal them all.

Exactly, I joined a 99CM + T4 pug run today and when we were at Amala 2-3 players tend to NEVER dodge or use the special action key. It was hilarious to see when I healed them up to 100% and they took the best indicated next hit and went back to 30% of their hp. Every fricking time.Seriously, she is pretty easy. There are some things you have to dodge and you have 2 normal ones + special action key. It's pretty much not understandable that people eat that much hits.

@lawrenceCG.3896 said:

I like it, I am someone.

Archived