First time playing GW2

Hi, i have recently.bought gw2 and it's expansions. But I'm still abit confused with all these classes and the way you level up.I have received 2 levels 80 item that put Ur char LV.80 but what's the point of that? Will I get equips aswell?I don't know what to do lvl 80 or what to do if I start lvl 1, I just do the heart quests and waypoints to get exp but I'm still confused how do I get good gear?If I farm on my druid will I be able to transfer all mats and equips to other char?

If you are a newcomer, I strongly recommend not to use your level 80 boosts for your first 2-3 characters. The boost will give you some gear, but levelling teaches you your class (at least to a certain degree). The latter is infinitely more valuable than gear.

For levelling, just do personal story, hearts and events. If you are in the mood, you can also explore the maps, 100% completion yields some nice stuff. Once you are done with a map, go to the next one that has a proper level range - the levelling flow in this game is very good. While levelling, just take whatever gear you get from drops or personal story. Once you reach 80, there's a plethora of options how to get your gear. Exotic (orange) gear can be obtained from crafting (very expensive), the trading post (cheap) or certain vendors (e.g. in the Orr temples for karma). By that point, you should have an idea about what you want to do with your character, because exotic gear is character-bound. Your desired role (e.g. doing damage or being a druid healer) will determine what's the best gear. The next tier of gear, ascended (pink), is no longer bound to a character, but account-bound. But you'll take some time to get that.

Materials can always be shifted between different characters. Be aware that your bank and material storage are for your entire account, not a single character.

@"Yeldo.4576" said:Hi, i have recently.bought gw2 and it's expansions. But I'm still abit confused with all these classes and the way you level up.I have received 2 levels 80 item that put Ur char LV.80 but what's the point of that? Will I get equips aswell?I don't know what to do lvl 80 or what to do if I start lvl 1, I just do the heart quests and waypoints to get exp but I'm still confused how do I get good gear?If I farm on my druid will I be able to transfer all mats and equips to other char?

Hi! Welcome to GW2!

I don't want to overwhelm you with information, so I'll keep it simple!

You have a shared bank across all of your characters which includes a materials storage bank that allows you to instantly send any crafting material from your inventory to storage (it will hold 250 of every material in the game for you and can be expanded via cash shop purchase!). The bank will also allow you to transfer items between characters as long as they are not bound to a specific character.

Whether or not to use an 80 boost is up to you. However, a word of caution: The expansion content is much harder than what you will experience leveling up and most brand new players will find it quite frustrating. On the other hand, the boost will place you in a level 80 (pre-expansion) zone with all of your core traits unlocked and a full set of level 80 gear (with defensive stats to make it more forgiving). You may play in this zone for as long as you like, but when you try to leave you must either accept or decline the boost. Accepting will make it permanent and consume the item, while declining will return you to your previous level and you get to keep the boost item. So feel free to test it out if you're curious!

One more thing:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

The wiki has a ton of information about practically everything and may be accessed from the game by typing /wiki (e.g. /wiki material storage will open a browser to the page explaining how material storage works!). Most experienced players make regular use of this site!

Some other sites you may find useful sooner or later:

gw2efficiency.comdulfy.netmetabattle.comgw2spidy.comgw2crafts.net

Finally, feel free to contact me in game. I am always happy to help new players! Just add my account name to your contact list in the game.

This is what i used to do when i was poor and just starting my first 2-3 characters:(Keep in mind the new player experience was entirely different back then, way more open-ended and without all the level-specific rewards and restrictions, but it will still work today).

What i'd do is follow the Personal Story...I'd start by fully exploring the first map you're in. The personal story was more spread out, instead of chopped into 10 lvl chapters, so this will definitely help you, by the time you finish exploring the map, you should be lvl 12-14.

When you're done, get on the story, remember to get 100% completion on any new map the story takes you.

At ~lvl 20 i started working on my crafting. You can pick two crafts per character without buying unlocks from the gemstore, this means you'll need to upgrade your crafting in 4 characters to unlock all of them(5 if you want scribing), for my first 3 characters i picked the weapon and armor crafting that matched them: Armor and Weaponsmith if a Warrior, Guardian or Revenant; Leather and Huntsman for thieves (although you can only make pistols and shortbows, so you'll need to get daggers and swords from rewards), rangers or Engineers; and Tailor and Artificer for the 3 caster classes (although mesmer will be a bit gimped since it uses a lot of weaponsmithing stuff). My first 3 were Guardian, Ranger and Necromancer, which have this pattern, then an engineer for cooking and jewellery, and finally my ele became a scribe.This is handy in 3 ways: First you get around 20 lvls up from going 0-400 in two crafting professions, so it can be handy to speed up your lvling.Second, you can craft your own gear (i would usually run around in rare (yellow) items that i'd crafted. These are very useful, not only because you can use those to unlock some collections (you'll have to craft all the rare recipes to unlock a few weapon and armor collections) and you'll have good gear for lvling up. I can't tell you how many times i've ended up at lvl 80 with lvl 60 rares...Thirdly, later, when you start thinking about legendary stuff, or ascended even, you'll need to get your crafting up. So might as well do it when you can get other benefits from it.

That's pretty much it: Keep doing the personal story, explore to 100% the maps it takes you on, before progressing it (like if it takes you to map A, explore the map before doing that story step), keep crafting up-to-date: the rare stuff is for these levels (35, 50, 65, 80), so when you hit 5-10 levels before that, lvl up and craft the stuff you'll need.

Omg thank you all.so much for the in-depth information!I'm still reading and very helpful indeed, any classes you can suggest me that will fare well in pve/PvP?I was thinking of necro/holo/Beserker/thief , I was overwhelmed with sorcerer lolAlso how does gear work in this game? I know you can't enchant weapons so it isn't very what dependant is it?

In PvP, you have the advantage of being able to play any class you want, since any character will be set to 80 with access to all gear when you enter the PvP lobby. No idea which classes are good there, though, as I haven't set foot in there for an eternity. For PvE, both engi and warrior are good choices. Necro is some kind of Schrödinger's class (overpowered in certain circumstances, very bad in others) and thief currently is mediocre at best.

Concerning gear, at 80 you have six power levels. White, blue, green and yellow gear are practically only relevant while leveling. After that, they're just salvage fodder. Exotic is the second-highest tier and should be your first aim when you're 80. Ascended gear finally has the highest power level, legendary just adds the ability to freely swap stats on top (and runes, in case of armor). There is no gear-treadmill, so four year old ascended berserker gear is still the best one for power classes.

Archived