Can we PLEASE have a way to disable new player tips (pop up messages)???

Talking about these annoying things..

gtNPSUj.png

My account is soon going to be almost 4 years old, and I still see these pop ups even if I'm working on a new character. These tips do absolutely nothing for me, but annoy me.We need some way to disable them completely.

• Like 2

"The game doesn't do enough to explain things!!!! It should do that more!!!". "I don't like the game telling me things I already know, even though it can't read my mind or maybe after 4 years I might have forgotten something!!!."

When did humans lose the ability to ignore something that doesn't matter to them? Or is now every minor distraction a direct threat to the concentration of a player who is overperforming at least a whole order higher then a new player doing the same thing?

• Confused 3

@"starlinvf.1358" said:"The game doesn't do enough to explain things!!!! It should do that more!!!". "I don't like the game telling me things I already know, even though it can't read my mind or maybe after 4 years I might have forgotten something!!!."

When did humans lose the ability to ignore something that doesn't matter to them? Or is now every minor distraction a direct threat to the concentration of a player who is overperforming at least a whole order higher then a new player doing the same thing?

Yeah, I hear you. Still, I think it would be nice if after so many hours an account has that these minor annoyances would be disabled.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

How many of these popups occur? When I start a new toon, I'm pretty sure there's one for telling you how to move. Maybe one directing you to the first NPC you talk to. .. Other than that, I don't even recall any. Maybe one for when you first unlock skills or specializations? So like, maybe half a dozen messages in the entire lifetime of your alt?

I'm not losing sleep over this.

• Confused 1

@"starlinvf.1358" said:"The game doesn't do enough to explain things!!!! It should do that more!!!"."I don't like the game telling me things I already know, even though it can't read my mind or maybe after 4 years I might have forgotten something!!!."

These two things are not mutually exclusive. New players and long experienced players have different needs, and while those needs are directly incompatible, it is not impossible to both (a) offer more tutorial advice, and (b) offer a push-button "just don't tutorial me, bro". Path of Exile does exactly this, which I quite appreciate now that I have mastered the basics like "this is how vendor recipes work", etc.

When did humans lose the ability to ignore something that doesn't matter to them?

Oh, roughly speaking while we were small furry critters scurrying around after the meteor killed off the big dinosaur birds that used to eat us. It might be easier to say, though, that humans have never shed the legacy "mental infrastructure" that means the sudden appearance of a flashy, orange thing will immediately grab attention, because it is a possible danger sign.

Or is now every minor distraction a direct threat to the concentration of a player who is overperforming at least a whole order higher then a new player doing the same thing?

...or, y'know, they just don't care about them, and so would rather not have to push-button dismiss them every time. I mean, I ignore the instructions on how to move, but I'd be happier if I could pre-ignore them enough to never see them again. It may not be the biggest deal in the universe, but not everything has to be earthshakingly huge.

• Like 1

I can only remember the 2 at L1 that I must dismiss. Movement and ...something. Anything with skills/traits seems to be a red icon on the Hero Panel icon, not a pop-up.I think there used to be a lot more when we still had the Hints feature.

The only one I really hear about is the Mastery one for those that have purchased an expansion, but have yet to unlock Masteries. That seems like it might be a bug, or, at least, not working as initially intended. It's easy to dismiss, permanently, but some prefer to wait.

• 11 months later...

As a new player who casually leveled to level 80 and filled the first mastery xp bar, yet is far away from actually doing any of the needed quests (wanting to avoid spoiler and do content as I wish). I have to say, this pop up massage is one of the most dumb and ridiculous things I've ever seen in a game.I don't understand why it can't be disabled, or at least, not pop up every minute or every minor xp gain.

• 2 months later...

the only thing that gets on my nerves is the flashing when you havent' picked a skill/talent. i quickly pick random talents just to get rid of that obnoxious flashing.

that said, not sure what is so difficult to have a toggle for 'new player tips'. unless their code is complete chaos. not a big deal to me but its a basic option in the vast majority of games.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Sounds more like a bug; I don't get any Specialization notifications. Have you considered a -repair to the client?

Not specializations - Mastery. Especially if your account hasn't unlocked the system itself yet, such as when actually playing through the story in the intended order.

How odd; seems the post I replied to has gone missing.

@Dante.1763 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:The only one that's been bugging me lately is the one saying my gear doesn't have stats selected.

Perhaps select stats :p

On a serious note:Yes please to this, and well any pop. Once its closed -once- it should stay closed.

I would, but it happens on a character I literally just use for crafting atm and it's kinda annoying. That and half the time I can't figure out which piece isn't selected since I swear I've reselected the stat numerous times.