Looking for advice on another profession to play

Atelia.4852

I've had all five of my character slots taken for a while, but I've found that I don't play on my Ranger that much. I'm not sure why, but I guess I just don't find the class that interesting/fun. I boosted her up to 80 and played a bit with Druid and Soulbeast, but I don't find myself playing on her that often- she's turned into a bank character. I also want to make a Charr so I can get the Charr personal story achievements (Bloodying the Past, For the Legion!, and From Howl to Silence), whether I keep them or not.My other four characters are an Elementalist (Weaver), Necromancer (Minion master Reaper), Engineer (Holosmith), and Mesmer (Chronomancer).I really love playing on my ele, and recently I've been playing on my necro and engi more. Most of what I do is open-world PvE, but I play fractals and dungeons occasionally (although only on my ele).(my ranger's still 200 days away from her first birthday, so I really won't be losing much by deleting her.)

I want to make a character from a new class, so what would you suggest? Warrior, Guardian, Revenant, or Thief? Or do you think I should just go down to four characters and make a weekly BL key farm character?

If you're bored from a class, it's probably because the gameplay isn't that complicated. At least that's what I've found. Ranger bores the living daylights out of me.

Since you're playing ele and engi more, sounds like you want more complexity. If you prefer open-world PvE, fractals, and dungeons, both those classes will suit you well. Warrior is pretty good for nearly every game mode, as is guardian (although guardian's a bit simple). Rev is in a weird place, and thief is best for PvP (although can be set up for PvE).

@Atelia.4852 said:I want to make a character from a new class, so what would you suggest? Warrior, Guardian, Revenant, or Thief? Or do you think I should just go down to four characters and make a weekly BL key farm character?

From my personal experience, I would recommend you to play either guardian or thief. Even though I started Guild Wars 2 as a warrior, it was my second character the engineer that got me hooked into the game, followed by the elementalist, then guardian and finally thief.

Core engineer is a jack of all trades profession, core elementalist is a ranged glass cannon, guardian is a melee glass cannon and thief is a melee glass cannon if playing d/p Daredevil or an evasive brawler with core s/d.

I'll recommend Revenant. He's the jack of all trades for soldier professions and very fun to play.While warrior and guardian are much more meta, they can be both very boring to play.Warrior is just plain boring by default - simplistic gameplay, few builds, nothing flashy in skillset.Guardian is less simple...but still darn simple and inflexible in it's theme and execution.

Revenant on the other hand offers far more depth, far more varied approach to most of it's roles (like defense achieved through multiple means, not just block-block-blind-more block), and very varied visuals (each legend has completely different theme and visusal style).

@Atelia.4852 said:

I want to make a character from a new class, so what would you suggest? Warrior, Guardian, Revenant, or Thief? Or do you think I should just go down to four characters and make a weekly BL key farm character?

Guardian. Does well at every game mode and has very different builds which remain viable with and without the specs. Warrior can do the work but imo lacks variety, and Thief is a strong class in some roles (PvP, roaming) while being in a weak spot in others (WvW zerging).

Rev is just suicidal. The class is half-made, full of bugs, created only two years and half ago and the main designer did leave the company a few days ago. Avoid the pain, dude.

@"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:I'll recommend Revenant. He's the jack of all trades for soldier professions and very fun to play.While warrior and guardian are much more meta, they can be both very boring to play.Warrior is just plain boring by default - simplistic gameplay, few builds, nothing flashy in skillset.Guardian is less simple...but still darn simple and inflexible in it's theme and execution.

Revenant on the other hand offers far more depth, far more varied approach to most of it's roles (like defense achieved through multiple means, not just block-block-blind-more block), and very varied visuals (each legend has completely different theme and visusal style).

i have more warri builds than i have seen rev builds...that are viable in wvw and pvp atleastrevs play either hammer for zergs or sword/sword in smallscale or pvpalmost all of them run herold and either assassin or dwarfhammer is boring as hell and the sword sword burst combo is pretty telegraphed aswell, not sure whats exciting about thatthe only reason why rev might be "more complex" would be because of legend swaps (at the right moment) and the energy managementboth mechanics that you cant rly see with "flashy" stuff, just sort of feel in the way how smooth it plays out

also, rev gets obliterated by condi specsand has no underwater choices, not even above water can you rly choose what utilities you want

If you're gonna try to play diversity card on a warr vs a revenant, you already lost before it started.Few hard facts:

• Revenant can be a healer, both main and off (Ventari & Kalla). Warr can't.
  • Revenant can share boons warr can't (alacrity, resistance, protection, stability)
  • Revenant has very varied playstyles (glint's facets, Ventari's tablet mechanic, Kalla's summons, Shiro mobility). Warr has the same feel no matter what he's doing.
  • Inflexible utility skills? Warr has it far worse! He will always have to slot stances when alone, and rest of skills is just there for show, never to be picked.
  • Rev was a monster underwater before he was given access to jalis and a new weapon. I can imagine now he's even more of one ;]

Hell, it was the revenant that brought a 4th role in raid - the kiter.

As for hammer, swords, gettting obliterated by condies - that's one build that people are too hung up on. If you go mallyx that condi weakness will be a loooot less, and in WvW many do go mallyx if only for resistance share. That's the beauty of Rev - you can be full power, run mallyx and it still has sense (15% stats from ult, sharing resistance, boonstrip with banish enchantment).

One thing i won't argue about is that ranged play sucks on rev. 900 range shortbow is a joke in WvW, and hammer is a defensive power weapon, so the damage is abysmal, albeit i would not call it boring (i get a blast from proper use of it's defensive skillset).

I would not recommend thief at all currently. I love the class, it’s my main but... you’re very much locked into few utility skills, and few game modes with specific role.

Thief currently doesn’t shine really... you won’t be able to raid, difficult for fractals, unaccepted in wvw groups and be a pure +1er decapper in PvP. What you can do on thief will be just plain better done on your mesmer, and it will do much more additionally.

I’d suggest guardian (firebrand) as it has different uses, different builds, accepted in every content, and pretty much always good in any meta.

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

hammer is a defensive power weapon, so the damage is abysmal, albeit i would not call it boring (i get a blast from proper use of it's defensive skillset).

What what what??? CoR is a massive source of destruction in wvw zergs! Its auto-attacks also deal quite a lot of damage. The defensive part is minimal compared to that skill alone.

I made the decision to delete an engineer to make a guardian and while the guardian worked out I wouldve rather kept the engineer because later I had to make another to get all classes to 80. So I suggest you just buy a slot instead of deleting a char. You will make the gold back and save time/effort later. As to which class I would lvl, since I main Guardian and Thief those are the ones I recommend. Thief is what I play in meta-event/resource gathering and Guard is what I play in fractals.

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:If you're gonna try to play diversity card on a warr vs a revenant, you already lost before it started.Few hard facts:

• Revenant can share boons warr can't (alacrity, resistance, protection, stability)
  • Revenant has very varied playstyles (glint's facets, Ventari's tablet mechanic, Kalla's summons, Shiro mobility). Warr has the same feel no matter what he's doing.
  • Inflexible utility skills? Warr has it far worse! He will always have to slot stances when alone, and rest of skills is just there for show, never to be picked.
  • Rev was a monster underwater before he was given access to jalis and a new weapon. I can imagine now he's even more of one ;]

As for hammer, swords, gettting obliterated by condies - that's one build that people are too hung up on. If you go mallyx that condi weakness will be a loooot less, and in WvW many do go mallyx if only for resistance share. That's the beauty of Rev - you can be full power, run mallyx and it still has sense (15% stats from ult, sharing resistance, boonstrip with banish enchantment).

One thing i won't argue about is that ranged play sucks on rev. 900 range shortbow is a joke in WvW, and hammer is a defensive power weapon, so the damage is abysmal, albeit i would not call it boring (i get a blast from proper use of it's defensive skillset).

Except the warrior builds are fairly strong while rev? PvE wise, Power build is only viable for open and low level PvE stuff. Support build is mostly not used due to being out performed by other classes. Condi Rev is serviceable in end game PvE, but sucks every where else.

SPvP, power herald, s/s and staff. Do not even bother doing anything else. WvW backliner hammer and that is it.

Warrior? Top tier power, condi and none substitutable support in PvE. It also lack diversity in sPvP but SB is much better than anything rev offers. Wvw decent roamer and desert bubble is significant in zergs.

Rev has more theoretical roles, but functional roles? Warrior is much better. Go open metabattle and see how many warrior builds are out there compared to rev. Rev is without any doubt the class with least functional builds in the game by a large margin.

@otto.5684 said:

@ZeftheWicked.3076 said:If you're gonna try to play diversity card on a warr vs a revenant, you already lost before it started.Few hard facts:

As for hammer, swords, gettting obliterated by condies - that's
one
build that people are too hung up on. If you go mallyx that condi weakness will be a loooot less, and in WvW many do go mallyx if only for resistance share. That's the beauty of Rev - you can be full power, run mallyx and it still has sense (15% stats from ult, sharing resistance, boonstrip with banish enchantment).

Except the warrior builds are fairly strong while rev? PvE wise, Power build is only viable for open and low level PvE stuff. Support build is mostly not used due to being out performed by other classes. Condi Rev is serviceable in end game PvE, but sucks every where else.

SPvP, power herald, s/s and staff. Do not even bother doing anything else. WvW backliner hammer and that is it.

Warrior? Top tier power, condi and none substitutable support in PvE. It also lack diversity in sPvP but SB is much better than anything rev offers. Wvw decent roamer and desert bubble is significant in zergs.

Rev has more theoretical roles, but functional roles? Warrior is much better. Go open metabattle and see how many warrior builds are out there compared to rev. Rev is without any doubt the class with least functional builds in the game by a large margin.

My condi herald is doing just fine in open PvE and i find it much more servicable then power build. Also you missed OP's point. He's not looking for meta. He's looking for fun & interesting. If ranger bored them outta their skull, you think warrior of all things is gonna deliver? I doubt that.

As main guardian I'm suggesting it cause of diversity and fun to play plus all that mage heavy armor style. Can be tank, healer, dps or even in the middle.

After all my main swaps, I always return to him cause I really like it a lot but to sum up:

-Ranger is boring at the long run.

-Ele is too squishy and ultra fun.

-Rev is nice but out of everything(condi rev is fine but boring playstyle).

-War will "destroy you all".

-Mesmer is fun but I hate all those broken glasses sound background.

-Thief is mega fun but never stick to it.

-Engi is jack of all trades and absolute blast in both pve and pvp(holo).

-Necro. If you like death theme is nice.

-Gurdian have it all for me. Healer is wvw and pvp and sometime in fractals. Nice condi and power dps for pve.Dragon hunter is the power build and is fun but simple while firebrand is the condi one and is a little bit more complex. Both are very good.

Also dire build(burn firebrand), is having a blast in open world pve with the ability to solo just everything....

Archived