New texture assets from expansion vs original world.

The mounts textures are so detailed that I find the old world textures are a bit out of place. Don't you think Anet should at least revisit the old generation textures and redo them? It is a bit inconsistent right now, the grass and other model textures are pretty non-4k.

They will surely do, just see Inquest golem textures, they redone them lastly with the bug in the system LS. They were 6 years old. Some of locations and areas got their name changed too. I'm pretty sure that updating texture is on their to-do list. But I'm actually satisfied with the actual textures, don't really care about them. My options are: textures=high rendering=native only.

@DijitalKiD.2154 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:It would be nice, but sadly also wasted effort. In a perfect world we'd get that "big texture update"

Probably going to regret asking this but why is upgrading the beauty of this game wasted effort?

Because there is no real benefit in doing so. They would have to divert a lot of time from their artists to rework old content that could be put into working on new stuff.

It just means additional cost for them with the only benefit being "well, people will appreciate this"

Especially because the artists are perhaps the busiest and scarcest "resource" for a game like this

@DijitalKiD.2154 said:

@"Blocki.4931" said:It would be nice, but sadly also wasted effort. In a perfect world we'd get that "big texture update"

Probably going to regret asking this but why is upgrading the beauty of this game wasted effort?

To add to what @"Blocki.4931" replied, it's not so much that the effort is "wasted" — everyone would certainly enjoy a better-looking game. The question is: what else could be done with the same resources? Is it the best use of limited time & people? Thus more of a lost opportunity to add or update other, also important aspects of the game. And some people use "wasted effort" as shorthand for that idea.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

To add to what @"Blocki.4931" replied, it's not so much that the effort is "wasted" — everyone would certainly enjoy a better-looking game. The question is: what else could be done with the same resources? Is it the best use of limited time & people? Thus more of a lost opportunity to add or update other, also important aspects of the game. And some people use "wasted effort" as shorthand for that idea.

Thanks, you put it better than my scrambled brain could on this rainy day

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

Just as well Anet do not think like you and are upgrading the textures. Well done Anet! Keep it up!

@DijitalKiD.2154 said:Just as well Anet do not think like youI should hope they don't think like me. I hope they think like game developers. I get to enjoy the fruits of their labors without having to weigh costs & benefits.

But... I didn't actually offer any opinion about whether they should update textures or not. I simply restated the situation they have to deal with: is it the best use of their resources?

Archived