If I knew then, what I know now.

Those are always helpful, to new player at the very least so what is something you'd have like to know when you started that you learned much later or recently about the game?

I'll start:Right clicking on salvage kits to salvage all items of the same rarity up to rare.

Man did I double click one item at a time for a long time.

@ShadowDove.8329 said:

@Dreadshow.9320 said:I'll start:Right clicking on salvage kits to salvage all items of the same rarity up to rare.

You can do that?! Thank you so much for sharing!!

My addition:The path for jumping puzzles is usually marked by a little torch on the ground. Don't know where to go? Look for a torch. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

True in a lot of cases, but certainly not all. I'd say it's about 50/50.... that said there are often little details that try and grab your attention and lead you towards the JP, or its end otherwise. It can be hard to notice sometimes.

Mine: Despite playing since launch, I only figured out some time last year that the red bar that sometimes appears under your skills is a range indicator. It disappears once that skill is in range of your targeted enemy. If I might add another, I was always annoyed that the Mini-map was stuck in the bottom right corner, where in so many other MMOs or just games in general it's placed in the top right. It took years to figure out it could be moved up to the top instead.

Don't worry about builds when you are first starting out. Have fun, play around. You can worry more about builds after you hit 80.Don't rush to 80. There is limitless amounts of XP in the game, and it flows freely.This is called "Fashion Wars 2" for a reason. However, don't worry about looks till you have your gear figured out. Color schemes, sure. But looks, not so much. You'll be gear changing too much as you level for it to be cost effective.Needing transmutations to make your gear look different? Try out pvp and wvw. And don't forget to set your track rewards (the chest icon of those menus) Other wise you may rank up, but you won't be getting as much in way of rewards. Many guilds also have unranked "polite" pvp arenas. Easy way to get dailies and track rewards done faster.

@"Dreadshow.9320" said:Those are always helpful, to new player at the very least so what is something you'd have like to know when you started that you learned much later or recently about the game?

I'll start:Right clicking on salvage kits to salvage all items of the same rarity up to rare.

Man did I double click one item at a time for a long time.

I should have kept a "delete character" for when I want to start over and level up again. Sometimes playing low-level characters with nothing is more fun than a maxed out character.

1) If you click the little cog symbol in your inventory you can instantly deposit all the crafting materials in your inventory into the bank, from anywhere in the world.

2) It's almost never worth selling equipment to NPC vendors. Sell it on the Trading Post or salvage it for materials instead.

1) Food items are an important buff. Check them out to find a good value one to use. Dont skimp on utils either when running fractals get the 1h potent version when you can.

2) Aquabreathers replaces the helmet slot when underwater, meaning you have to use one (duh) and put a rune in it to get the 6th rune benefit. Aquabreathers are also hard to get and dont drop in openworld. The best place to get a lvl 80 one is from Gavbeorn purchased with karma when you get to cursed shore. They are soulbound on acquire so you need to get each char there.

3) Its better to not delete a fully levelled 80 char but instead buy a char slot if you dont have one of every class at 80.

4) Found invisible bags are good for sorting unidentified gear so you dont have to constantly worry about accidentally salvaging them if you stack them there.

5) You get a good performance boost when you decrease the number of players shown on the screen in graphic options. This makes meta events much smoother to play.

1) There is only one Kirito. I am not him.

2) Guild loyalty means nothing. Join ALL the guilds.

3) Don't trust funny mesmer portals. You never know where they lead.

4) Bulldose every mob in my path, else the backlog will pile up and kill me.

5) Stick to one class and git good, else you'll never figure out what you want to play later.

6) Leave one free deletable character for keyfarm.

Of course, milage may vary. These are the hardest lessons I've come to learn since starting GW2. B)

For those who have both expansions, I'd recommend not going super deep into HoT masteries. Apart from gliding, you'll almost never use them again. I do think tier 5 gliding is worth the investment however, since gliding can be used in combat where mounts cannot, and the tier 5 gliding grants unlimited gliding. Mounts are very worth the time investment, since they don't take too long. If you have access to living world season 3, getting the tier 4 ancient magic mastery is worth the investment as well, since that adds an extra ability for your downed state and can be used anywhere in PvE.

For just every player, craft. Get into crafting. You don't have to do it all at once or get super focused on it, but crafting can get you a lot of nice things for way cheaper/easier than you'd otherwise get them for. I regret not crafting on any of my characters, and now I have to grind and look for mats in order to level up crafting and get the good level 80 stuff I want. You'll want at least one crafting thing that makes bags, because larger bag spaces becomes necessary at higher levels.

If you have old keys, you can right click and consume them to get them onto your 'keychain', which essentially means it goes into your currency section. Not all keys can be put into the keychain, so be warned.

Get as many converters as you can, if you're not super into crafting they will be useful for dealing with hundreds and hundreds of certain resources that you can't sell or trade or deposit. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Converter

Also, the wiki is an invaluable tool. It's probably THE greatest single resource for the game with regards to information, recipes, requirements etc. A secondary recommendation for doing difficult achievements, jumping puzzles etc. is Dulfy. www.dulfy.net is the second most invaluable resource out there for completing harder to earn stuff or getting videos on exact locations for certain achievements and collections etc. Some people may flip those two depending on how often they use one over the other, I use the wiki more than I do dulfy but I sure know people exist who would use dulfy way over the wiki.

If you're into trade post flipping, www.gw2efficiency.com is invaluable as well. I primarily use it to know how to get the most gold for my laurels, but the entire website is conversion rates, how worth it something is and if you'll even sell something at a loss.

Last but not least, gw2skills.net is great for creating builds and sharing them with people to get feedback. While you can test builds out in the PVP lobby, other people who know the game better and are more experienced with making efficient builds will be able to help you refine the build and iron out some kinks.

Also, probably THE easiest thing to recommend, if you're in the open world and need to store something in a bank, access the trade post or even sell stuff to a vendor, go to the pvp lobby. Not only does the pvp lobby have all of that and more, but when you leave the pvp lobby you'll be dropped back right where you were (most of the time, if you're flying/gliding when you go to the pvp lobby you'll be on the ground when you pop back from the pvp lobby). You don't need to leave your map to go to a city or go to the other side of the map, the pvp lobby can attend to all your needs. I think there's even armour repair in the pvp lobby. If you're in a story instance, you'll have to wait until after you leave the instance to go to the pvp lobby, otherwise you may leave before a certain checkpoint. I don't remember if core story instances have checkpoints, but path of fire story instances do at least.

Right clicking bouncy chest, I always double clicked but many don't give the pop-up with a right click.

Buying legendary collections early, you get most of them done on accident. After completing the nevermore I picked up all the others I wanted. A few months later I just had to complete a few events to start on the 2nd step.

Mystic forge salvage kits.

My tip: you get Black Lion Keys as rewards for completing personal story at 10, 40, and 60, once a week. You also have about 1/3 chance of getting them when you complete a map. It can be well worth the time to run around and do at least some of those things to get that free gamble on something good.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:My tip: you get Black Lion Keys as rewards for completing personal story at 10, 40, and 60, once a week. You also have about 1/3 chance of getting them when you complete a map. It can be well worth the time to run around and do at least some of those things to get that free gamble on something good.

You can get the level 10 story one once a week, but you can get the level 40 and 60 ones as often as you have characters of those levels.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:Mostly I just wish I knew about the berserker meta from launch. It took a few months of testing and learning to figure it out, but if I had known about it from the start then I could've saved myself a lot more time and a lot more pain.

but you learned so much more now.

having knowledge withouth wisdom is useless

Bit of a different one but it took me a long time to understand that when people talk about 'fashion wars' or 'build wars' or whatever it's not (necessarily) a negative. To me it sounds like you're having to fight against other players, or the game, to get it done, but it's basically just a way of saying it's such a big part of the game it should be in the name.

I only really got it when I started playing Elder Scrolls Online and people would say similar things like 'Elder Tanks Online' or 'stam builds online' (short for stamina). I don't know if people do the same with other games but I assume they do.

Oh, and on a related note 'kitten' is what the forum's swearing filter changes everything to. So if you ever see a post saying "Why is this kitten still broken?" or "How the kitten do I do this?" or the ever-popular "why the kitten is this kitten kitten so kitten kitten kitten" it's not some kind of secret code word only long-term players are allowed to know or anything to do with actual cats, it's just an angry person.

Get all the skins you can, even if you don't plan on playing the other weight classes yet.After getting used to having an abundance of choices to choose awesome skins from, you'll be shocked when you try to outfit your first character of another weight class =)

Archived