Guild Wars (1) sale on Steam - how does it work, versions

I just saw the announcement for original Guild Wars on Steam and am wondering how that works. If I buy it on Steam, do I just get the account key & can use it with the regular client, or does the account only work in the Steam client? (I would be running Guild Wars in wine on a Mac.)

More generally, there are several different packages of Guild Wars and I'm wondering exactly what I'll get if I buy off Steam, as the descriptions are kind of vague. Steam & the Guild Wars website have these items for sale:

• Guild Wars Trilogy (base game?, Factions, Nightfall) ($15 on steam, n/a direct) - is base game Platinum or Game of Year edition with extras, or just plain?
  • Guild Wars Platinum Edition (n/a on steam?, $20 direct) - has extra stuff, includes Eye of the North
  • Guild Wars Game of the Year Edition ($10 on steam, $20 direct) - has extra stuff, includes Prophecies
  • Guild Wars: Eye of the North ($10, $20 direct)
  • Guild Wars: Nightfall ($10, $30 direct)
  • Guild Wars: Factions ($10, $30 direct)
  • and a few other things on the Guild Wars website like add-on packs

There is a Game of the Year Upgrade, available direct ($5), so I guess that is what you would buy to get the extra stuff on the Trilogy or Platinum editions, if you want it? Is Prophecies just the base campaign for the game when you get it? I can't tell.

It seems the simplest way to get all the core stuff would be to buy Trilogy, Eye of the North, and Game of the Year Upgrade. Is that right?

One thing about Guild Wars 1 is that it doesn't (in that sense) have a 'core' game: Prophecies, Factions & Nightfall are all individual campaigns playable on their own (and each allows access to Eye of the North). Prophecies was the first one to be released (so it only has the 'core' classes), but in principle they all count as a 'full game' on their own.

Otherwise you are right that the Triology (Prophecies, Factions & Nightfall) + Eye of the North would give you 'full access' to the game - which combination you chose to get them is up to you, but from what you posted this exact one looks like the cheapest on Steam.Note that I didn't include the "Game of the Year Upgrade" into the 'full access' combination on purpose, since - from what I can see - it only gives you a couple of in-game items (weapons/skins & a summoning stone), so I actually wouldn't count it as 'core stuff' (as it doesn't provide any actual content). Something that does provide additional content is the Bonus mission pack, though that does not seem to be available on steam.

As for your initial/first question:I'm of course not 100% sure, but I would really think that you can also use the account bought on steam through the normal launcher (once activated). Especially if you link your GW2 & GW1 accounts it will actually be only one account (with the same email & password; even if you initially register the GW1 one with a different email).

Oh and if you are using a Mac, the instructions above only work for the Windows Steam client. The UI to find your CD Key is different on the Mac client, it's not in a context menu but right on the game info screen, which is actually easier if you hadn't been told to right-click. :-)

I got the game running in wine on my Mac, but no audio yet. Will be poking around at that.

Archived