Feedback: Official Living World Season 4 Episode 3 Feedback [MANY SPOILERS] - Page 4 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Feedback: Official Living World Season 4 Episode 3 Feedback [MANY SPOILERS]

Comments

• Jski.6180Jski.6180 Member ✭✭✭✭

Please stop putting living world story behind pve mount walls.

See ELE forms and you will get my views.

• I just finished the episode story and I have to say... I LOVED IT! I mean, it did feel a little short and ended abruptly? But I get it considering a lot of resources must have been put into the cutscenes (which I was SO stoked to watch! Please keep it up!). The new zone I feel wasn't as pretty as others, but it's in the heart of Joko's territory so I get it kinda? It's not bad. The laser puzzles I can see people struggling with if they have a particularly large charr or norn character and the Joko fight wasn't particularly difficult and was easy to understand, which personally I appreciate.

I haven't gotten the beetle mount yet, and while I don't mind collections (it's easy for me to pull up a guide) I don't particularly like ones that require bounties, especially when the "newness" of the map is gone and not many people go back to do them, it makes things difficult for people who are still behind content-wise.

Overall, 8/10. I've certainly been enjoying this season so far and I feel it's a definite step in the right direction.

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018

So, a second update after have unlocked the Beetle and after finishing the story: Some points that need improvement for me:

Beetle Collection
    Can you put an icon on the map for Gorrik and Blish? I was wandering around during 4h to finally found them on a roof...
    The collection is quite long but great, it brings player to travel to core tyria maps.

Story
    I waited something else for Joko's end, the part beginning was promising, but at the end of the instance, it just seems to be rushed... We finally explore only the half of Gandara, and he got killed by the dragon... Will not give a Kudo for that... All these scenes with bringing a ton of allies for just "prout'" you are dead joko. I dunno, I seen corpses like myself everywhere in the corridor, so I waited for fighting against awakened clones of myself? Hard time to avoid these lasers with my asura and her frozen effect and her very little jump. And no awakened Inquest within the fortress? He just put them outside for this huh big event(will explain later)? The story is very short and boss are too much overpowered, done it with my weaver, got downed every time and half-armor broken. Very sad about Joko's death, he deserved better... YOU JUST INTRODUCED HIM BEFORE! why killing him? It just remember me the previous episode: Inquest: So we are developing a new generation of golems... We have to build a great place to stock them.... And poof no answer, joko just rekted them in Rata Primus and they don't counter-attack.... PLEASE, respect the lore and stop with story hole! Why the primeval queens agreed instantly about helping us? Before, when we tried to enter, they were all beating us to death....

Map
    This BETA-event is really disappointed... It's just a big event. Like if all effort have been put in the mount and story: Not rewarding at all, No legendary, just a little improvised inquest treasure chamber (It's just a hole inside a house)... Can't find a term to define this map, it's a mix of Istan (By the way I hate this map) and mmh South desolation/ Elon Riverlands. This map is EMPTY, seriously.... Kudo to the guy who designed -Pogahn Bluffs Proving Ground- he actually took the time to make new assets and organize all these lab stuffs. Bitterfly Bayou is great but dunno it likes something is missing, a necromancer? An abandoned house? All other areas are just nothing apart sand, grass, clay or mud. The giant thorn wall is a cool idea. As stated before, Moon fortress is just unexplored... And, again, STOP PUTTING INVISIBLE WALLS everywhere in Gandara the moon fortress! It breaks immersion! The only part of the map, that would be awesome to explore with such a giant potential, the big crescent which attract your eyes when you arrive, you simply RUINED IT! claps claps! Not needed to mention Point Of Interest hidden between event / roller beetle mastery.

Cinematics
    The mind-blown thing of this episode, very well made, great job here!
    So I can give the story a 4.5/10 finally, because great effort on cinematic and orchestration. But ABITS Episode 2, is still better for me: 8/10
    Global rate for this episode; 4.875 / 10.

So, to sum up, would agree with Randulf.

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    +++NEW: AEP Asuran Expansion Project available on WIKI.
    +++New: GEM GW2 Exploration Map: Discover unusual places around tyria: Here (OSM map)

• Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018

After a couple of days, hereby my feedback on the new living world.

Introduction / putting the patch live

I honestly expected some flaws when the patch became live, because none is flawless due to server load. However, I have never seen it this extreme (similar to when PoF came live). Not only the new content gave connection issues, the whole game did, even locking out any character you have regardless of the zone. I cannot imagine that Anet did not know many would log in for this patch (especially with the bigger playerbase that joined as of last month). This is very disappointing!!

Story

A lot of bugs allover the place. In some parts not well thought about story instance steps. In example: I killed catapults that attacked me, and in next story instance step it asked me to kill those catapults (that didn't exist no more) and thereby broke my whole story as I couldn't progress other than redo. Then we had a lot of "cannot access", missing conversation due to dceds and skipping this upon relog, missing markers and interact buttons as result of same dceds, stalled content,.. The story instance on itself was ok but nothing all too spectacular. I expected more. Altho I loved the last story instance. Storytelling wise I liked the story.

Mount

I love the beetle mount, however, the collection of this was not thought through well. Amber beetle, Spider Queen, Steam mobs, ley line,.... I like that you use old maps for it but this is not the way. Too many players trying to kill the same thing. People are greedy because they want what they want as fast as possible and if someone else doesn't get it because its killed too fast they act like its not their problem. I have seen a few civilised groups that agreed to autoattack only and give everyone a chance but mayority sadly does not. So either place a new mob with high defence/hp, low attack or something for such collections. This way low levels won't die from it and mob in question ain't dead in a split second. The end of the meta for collection gave issue that I attacked the devices but game didn't count them (lag? too many ppl killing?). I wasn't alone on this. This same issue also makes ppl miss out on the "entrance card".

Meta

Disappointing, not rewarding, stand still and poke the last boss till it drops dead. Barely rewards, no xp from mobs/cannons,... This will be a dead meta very soon! A shame for all the time you put in making this.

Map

I like the layout/surroundings. I see crystal nodes that are doing nothing (edit: found out they are there for new mount with a mastery) . Heart npcs are not all on correct spot if you compare location vs map. No exp from mobs/events, no rewards from mobs/events. It will be dead within a week like this, which is a shame and tbh, we paid for content that lasts longer than a week.... Locking poi for mount completion behind a mount collection hunt + mastery is also silly imo.

Rewards from map currency

There is nothing really rewarding... After some mini's and the mount you are pretty much done in the zone. There are not even ascended items to farm for. Really who uses exotic items (once for look but you won't farm it twice for alts or so). The new stat is meh too, there is a better alternative out there already. Lws3 had better rewards!!! Previous maps of LWS4 are much more rewarding and more repeatable to actually run around in, have fun and get some rewards back.

Communication

The communication / visibility of Gaile on forums was a pro. The pace of updates/ info on whats being worked on atm fromout the dev team is a bit missing however. I miss a sort of "these bugs are known and being investigated atm".

I probably forget more but this is what all came to my mind.

• This episode got delayed because of quality concerns. This tells me that at least someone wasn't feeling comfortable enough by what was being produced. Being late in the release sequence and facing quality issues, the episode had to be acceptable but not necessarily great. The unexpected connectivity issues downgraded this acceptable status but I wouldn't go so far as to deem this episode as unacceptable. Sure, there are good things about this release and I'm not one for having expectations but I got familiar with the quality of previous releases. Regardless of the outcome and my thoughts, effort and dedication was put into this release and I appreciate that.

• Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭

Finally managed to complete the story instead of getting disconnected every 5 minutes and my thoughts on it to say it spoiler free: Well, that was unexpected...
    (I really liked how the new cutscenes were made and the interaction of the player character)

I'm Hunter, he/him/they
    Check out my Tumblr for more GW2 content if you want: http://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/
    Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/characters

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2018

I already posted my praise here, but now in the manner of a Pro/Contra list:

Pros:

• Plot: Everything made sense, was consistent, was built up dramatically by the book. Best writing this game has seen so far.
    • Dialogue: On spot. There wasn't a single instance where I felt that my character or their companions were behaving out-of-character. Everything was coherent and perfectly woven into the scene, thus fit the given situation perfectly.
    • Humor: Finally no annoying "kiddy jokes" but humor that adults can relate to as well. I laughed out loud on several occasions.
    • Cutscenes: Marvelous cinematography there, especially Joko's final dialogue. It felt like watching a movie - the emotions were perfectly expressed in body language, facial expressions, and through camera angles. Bravo.
    • Missions: All so well done, I truly enjoyed playing them (also see "Innovation" below).
    • Innovation: The new stuff that was implemented (trap mechanics, scarab swarms,...) was really sweet, it made everything fun and exciting. It didn't feel forced, wasn't overdone - just the right dose.
    • Voice acting: Great job all around.
    • Atmosphere: Finally felt like I was playing an actual classic RPG (especially during the Moon Fortress mission). Thank you so much for that!
    • Dragons Watch: Finally united and good to go! The final notions at the end felt a bit cheesy, but after putting us through an awful 3rd season, this was long overdue and a nice touch after all.

Cons:

• Skybox: The map is well-designed, but the skybox is plain awful. I understand the "gloomy" dark skies above the Moon Fortress, but the rest of the map just feels depressing that way. Leave the ashes in the air, but give the skybox more constrast, especially compared to the barren terrain.
    • Roller Beetle: Still needs a bit of polishing. The fact that you sometimes have to stand still and wait for the endurance bar to fill is a ridiculously bad designed. Also, give that thing some sort of brake-mechanic so that you can come to a hold quicker while in super speed mode.
    • Gandara: I wish all of the Moon Fortress was explorable outside of the story mission! Also, the meta urgently requires an overhaul, it appears incomplete.
  • Blaeys.3102Blaeys.3102 Member ✭✭✭

First of all, this update - once you get past the bugs - is one of, if not the, best storylines ANet has ever developed. As far as gameplay, there are some decent fights, but the open world stuff - and especially the final boss of the meta on the map - is bland and uninspired.

But the biggest issue that needs to be addressed is the Roller Beetle collection. While much of it is fun and encourages gameplay, a few points make it beyond frustrating and painful to do. The worst offender is the beetle event in Silverwastes - a veteran target that spawns about every 15 minutes and then dies within 3-5 seconds. I have talked to too many people who were standing right next to it and never got a hit in when it spawned.

This is poorly designed and should be addressed as soon as possible. Either take that requirement out of the collection or make the beetle a champion/spawn more often. Gameplay that requires sitting around in a map with nothing else to do hoping you aren't taking a drink or looking away when the boss spawns is just bad - and even worse, boring - game design.

Again, great update as a whole, but some of these seemingly little things can kill the experience.

• VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018

well, after I was finally able to play it:
    I loved the dialogue.
    The cinematics were mighty fine.
    The story was... good.
    Lots of 'YES!' moments, which is always good.
    I enjoyed most of it.
    I REALLY loved the end.

BUT: I hate the fact, that this episode was made for mesmers and thieves.

AND

I REALLY hate the fact that this stupid new stat set will make scourges even more OP in wvw. ANET? Nobody thought about that? Giving the perfect set to a class that is horrible broken already?

With all the bugs:

you talked this up, spending more time on polishing etc. And really.. for all the waiting it feels... lackluster, very short. It might not have been short, but it feels that way. Add all the problems and it is a meh-release despite the fun I had when I was FINALLY able to enjoy it.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018

@Aaralyna.3104 said:

There is nothing really rewarding... After some mini's and the mount you are pretty much done in the zone. There are not even ascended items to farm for.

Yes, there are. Several that can be bought from vendors. Unfortunately, they require Laurels again. :/

• Kiza.5630Kiza.5630 Member ✭✭✭

Played a bit more on the zone itself rather than story. The map does not play very well unfortunately. From a "put up a tag, put up lfg, let's have some fun" point of view. There is only one bounty board (unless I missed something). The event density is very low. Only a few simple events.

The inquest facility event is very underwhelming. Capture 3 points by smashing awakened, kill one inquest and their golem, they don't even have one line of dialog. Loot couple of chests. Gandara even has three bridges leading into it. IMO they should have been used for a classic 3-lane event, those are always fun.

No event enemy on the map seems to drop anything, not even give xp. This must be a bug though, because apart from no loot, buying the karmic retribution is completely pointless.

Compared to Sandswept Isles this one does have a very low replay value. Basically you can come back to the bounties, the rest feels more like a chore than being fun.

The map environment itself is again fantastic. I love what the art / environment / maps team does. They create really beautiful stuff. But I feel this one was released unfinished.

And the griffon adventures are again fun. :)

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

@VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    I loved the dialogue.
    The story was... good.
    I enjoyed most of it.
    I REALLY loved the end.

What did you mean by this? I'm assuming its the puzzles in the last instance?

Bite me.

• Artyport.2084Artyport.2084 Member ✭✭✭

Story.
    The story was great and I'm so happy to see cut scenes like these finnally added it brings a whole new level of story telling that i think has been missing from gw2
    Map.
    I do not like this map. The washed out sky the grey floor. The weird way you implemented gandara just seemed rushed and its very sad for lore lovers. the events.. boring.
    Mount.
    Good job.
    New Armor
    awesome im so happy you guys are adding this.
    Overall it was a good episode in the feature and story department. bad map tho

• Major props to the writing team for this one! Especially for the last instance, Joko's final monologue was really awesome and I was on the edge of my seat and laughed out loud in relief and shock at what happened! Joko's voice actor equally deserves some praise for his delivery!!
    As I'm sure others have mentioned, the new map is not very pretty(although seeing Aurene on it sometimes was lovely) and the story was very short, I did expect a lot more content wise, although as I said above, the quality of the storytelling was very good.

• Kraggy.4169Kraggy.4169 Member ✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018

@Blaeys.3102 said:
    Gameplay that requires sitting around in a map with nothing else to do hoping you aren't taking a drink or looking away when the boss spawns is just bad - and even worse, boring - game design.

Worst thing for me is the stupid inclusion of the Leyline event, one of the worst world events ever when it comes to predictability so this mount is gated by a frustrating camping of the maps and hope you can get to the event's end before the mob dies .. at least the champ beetle is predictable.

• OtakuModeEngage.8679OtakuModeEngage.8679 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018

I loved the way Joko died, it makes sense to me, that the only way to kill an eternal being is to consume the magic that makes him eternal... buuuut, it happened too soon. They spent all of PoF building up how evil and strong this guy is while he was imprisoned, just to kill him off in our first combat encounter, only three episodes after he was released. It was rushed, and he feels less threatening because of it.

I think it would have been better if he died in episode 5 or 6, after we traded a few blows, maybe had a military loss mixed in with our victories. Fought our way throughout more of unexplored Elona chacing/being chaced by him. Id have liked to see more of his twisted personality, merciless destruction, and cruel manipulation.

Joko is a gold mine character for guild wars franchise, one of its pinnacle banners that people associate the series with, there is so much he had to offer, that should have been more thuroughly explored. The death of Joko is a death of a Flag Bearer, such deaths can be the highlight of the game that draws players to it, hitting their sweet spot with a heavy emotional blow, the impact of which resonates with long term fans. Or it can just be wasted, and now an interesting dynamic belovid character is gone, and the game is now that much less interesting without him.

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:
    There will be an official feedback thread eventually, so I am just going to say this: The story missions were the best content the devs have ever released for GW2. :+1: Especially the final mission blew my mind - I was finally feeling that I was playing classic RPG content (trapped dungeons, a Ring of Dispel Illusions, excellent dialogue,...).

Also, the humor was just right - not childish, not overdone. I cracked up on several occasions (especially when Aurene feasted on Joko - that was hysterical!).

The movie sequence work - especially the cutscene of Joko's final monologue - was superb, it really got under my skin.

So, in spite of the technical issues that constantly interrupted the excitement of playing this episode, I still have to say WELL DONE to everyone responsible for this episode's content. Please keep up the good work and level of quality in plot and dialogue. You have made this little camper very happy. <3 <3 <3

I'm glad you liked it especially after your last week post!

I also think the episode was amazing, and the storytelling was very, very good.

The wound is the place where the Light enters you ~Stephane Lo Presti

• @Blocki.4931 said:

@VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    I loved the dialogue.
    The story was... good.
    I enjoyed most of it.
    I REALLY loved the end.

What did you mean by this? I'm assuming its the puzzles in the last instance?

there was no puzzle, it was plain old 'if you have a mesmer or thief you can do this laser kitten easy and without worry. Everybody else: tough luck. We hate you. Play mesmer or thief'.

• dontlook.1823dontlook.1823 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2018

Most memorable to me was the second instance. Using Blish's arm was so much fun! The 3,000 range, zero recharge teleport was too much fun for one person. Something I noticed, was a bridge being gaped between the Crystal Dessert and Tyria. This was hands down my favorite thing. To have our character excitedly wait on people from Tyria was great. It showed cohesiveness between the two worlds. Of course, this was all squandered once we found out what was truly on the boat. But, it allowed for a moment of me thinking, "O amidst all this chaos are we gonna see the people of Tyria get excited about the culture out here in the Crystal dessert?" It was just a pretty cool moment for me and something I really liked to see. So although that moment was brief, I think since things have settled down a bit we can get into some nitty-gritty stuff and not so much hack-and-slash. Nonetheless, I'm excited for what's in store. :+1: :+1:

More, more. More is always better. Chakata

I agree with arden

And I'm also glad to see your skepticism turn into something positive ;)

Bite me.

edited June 28, 2018

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Associate the series with him? He had a very minor role in Nightfall that was to the extent of him showing us how to traverse the Wastes.

Thats why everyone and their mother fills twitter, reddit, youtube, the forums, and in-game chat with "Praise Joko", he has a short lived roll, but it was an impactful one.

At any rate, you dont build up a character as an "Eternal being" have him whipe out armies, surpress countries, and build a vast unchallenged empire... and then have him killed in the first face off. If it were that easy, why hasnt anyone done it before??? Bad story telling.

• Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Aaralyna.3104 said:

There is nothing really rewarding... After some mini's and the mount you are pretty much done in the zone. There are not even ascended items to farm for.

Yes, there are. Several that can be bought from vendors. Unfortunately, they require Laurels again. :/

Well laurel items are purchaseable but why use those when you can get "free ascended versions" elsewhere. You want a map you can farm to get items (think of LwS3). Or some nice ascended items that you can get via achievement or collection (like in previous maps). It adds to the replayability that way :)

• @Ayrilana.1396 said:

@OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Associate the series with him? He had a very minor role in Nightfall that was to the extent of him showing us how to traverse the Wastes.

Thats why everyone and their mother fills twitter, reddit, youtube, the forums, and in-game chat with "Praise Joko", he has a short lived roll, but it was an impactful one.

Because it was a phrase that we constantly heard everywhere in PoF. Very similar to the “I took an arrow to the knee” in Skyrim. Players took amusement to it and made it a meme.

My second point still stands

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Because it was a phrase that we constantly heard everywhere in PoF. Very similar to the “I took an arrow to the knee” in Skyrim. Players took amusement to it and made it a meme.

Didn’t realize you made a second one until I saw it was added.

Not every enemy needs to be drawn out. Nobody had a dragon before either or at least not one that hid below the Crystal Desert.

• @Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Not every enemy needs to be drawn out. Nobody had a dragon before either or at least not one that hid below the Crystal Desert.

I would agree that not every enemy needs to be drawn out, however, not every enemy has as deep a backstory as Joko. Killing him so soon so easily makes his claims of eternalness shallow and his history as an unriveled conquerer and surpresser unbelieveable. I have no problem with the method used to end him, it was just too soon.

• @sorudo.9054 said:
    you know, it's better to kill him now then to be dragged trough the same old stuff, somethings are better not milked to the bone. (see the pun :wink: )

Only if the lack creativity

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

I would agree that not every enemy needs to be drawn out, however, not every enemy has as deep a backstory as Joko. Killing him so soon so easily makes his claims of eternalness shallow and his history as an unriveled conquerer and surpresser unbelieveable. I have no problem with the method used to end him, it was just too soon.

He boasted about a lot of things that weren’t true. Would killing him after episode six really be that much of a difference?

• Ojimaru.8970Ojimaru.8970 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'll probably try to get this question into the AFC, but I would really like to get some insight into the reasoning behind the decision to remove all loot drops from mobs associated with the map meta event. Having done this four times so far, it feels like the most tedious, unrewarding meta event I've ever experienced since the majority of the events are centered around timed defense against waves of enemies that don't give any loot, nor experience. It culminates into a boss fight with a massive health pool, non-interactive mechanics, and one-shots (20k in a single hit with no telegraphs), followed by even more non-interactive wailing on static objects.

Speaking of one-shots, this map has some of the worst creature balance. The three main Legendaries (Golem, Abomination, and Broodmother) each have non-telegraphed attacks that deal 20-23k damage, with little to no way to predict, let alone evade. I haven't seen this kind of nonsense since the days before world boss scaling was capped. While it is true that the game has a Down State mechanic, and there are usually players around to revive you, but that doesn't make these random Downs fun. When you don't get to express your game knowledge or skill by evading big hitting attacks, like the damage reflect ability of Awakened Abominations, and instead have to just cross your fingers and submit your soul to the Deities of RNG, it makes for a frustrating experience.

Similarly, has anybody even playtested against the Awakened Olmakhan prior to release? Did nobody find that the Awakened Earthstalker's attack speed a little higher than any other creature in the game?

"Thief? How rude! I'm a Procurement Specialist." -Glenn Gynnafante

• foozlesprite.8051foozlesprite.8051 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018

My two cents here, only directed at the devs really (not looking for arguments, just giving feedback). Honestly, I really liked it overall. There were a lot of things that I felt could be improved on, but you already know about the story and disconnection issues and that's been beaten to death everywhere else so I'm not addressing it here.

General thoughts:

My biggest complaint: needs more Canach! (This is always my biggest complaint.) I very much enjoyed his 'dialogue'/achievement while opening the gate, but man, I wish he'd had more speaking lines (or heck, even more written lines.) Hope I can remember to ask in the AFC if his Aurene eating people comment was an intentional jab about Mordremoth and the sylvari.

Taimi! In battle instead of being forced to stay in the field! Thanks for giving her that chance. It's really nice to see a game using assistive tech, and for the guild to finally realize she's almost a legal adult now (in the U.S.; she IS in some other places) and can be useful anywhere.

Along those lines, thanks for having Gorrik be on the autism spectrum, that means a lot to me and my friends. I know there's no way to explicitly communicate that in-game, but I appreciate that it was canonized in the Guiid Chat episode.

Faren! With clothes* on! Doing brave-if-stupid things! Finally, some development. We've seen him like that before, but since a lot of it is in season 1 or events/NPC text in Verdant Brink, it's hard for a lot of people to realize that while he likes to ham it up for the spotlight, he genuinely cares enough to risk his life. He tried to help the queen, he tried to help the Southsun refugees, he tried to help the pact in Verdant Brink, and he came to us in Amnoon to help clean up. Now he's deep in Joko's domain with us, rushing into enemy lines. sniffs My baby's all grown up now.
    (Please though, if you add his wonderful outfit to the gem store, give us the option to turn off the neck frills like they're the hat slot or something. Bonus points if the female version doesn't show 90% more skin, I'd like some outfits that hide my shape a bit so I can look androgynous...)

I know a lot of people are complaining about the size, but for the most part I think it was a good call to keep Kourna a smaller map. I have been so, so irritated by the choices to have only 2-3 waypoints in giant zones lately. I still haven't touched much of Sandswept because by the time someone calls a bounty I can't get there before it's dead (even if it's a legendary)! I like the general idea of Sandswept but the choice to put the two waypoints in a tiny strip near the center of the zone instead of having three - one each for southish, middle, and northish - was terrible.

Please open up more of Gandara or make it more of an actual meta event. Please, please, please. If you can implement Palawadan, you can open up more than one street in Gandara. I believe in you, ANet.

I was anxious about the Blish's arm mechanic, but it wasn't bad for having to use another 'weapon' set especially since you can use it as an on/off kit with ease. Introducing the skills one-by-one was a good choice that took away a good deal of the frustration I felt with Caladbolg and Sohothin.

The beetle is fun! BUT: I worry that the Leyline Anomaly will prevent people from being able to get the beetle in the future. I absolutely encourage collections that take you around the world and implement old content. And I understand the intent behind the Leyline decision. "Nobody is doing these, let's give them an incentive." But considering that I'm often seeing people unable to get their Corrupted Facet for the griffon, which is always in the same place in the same populated current-expansion zone, I worry that the Leyline step is quickly going to turn into "people don't know when these things spawn where, don't take multiple people/a group, have no idea how to fight it, fail repeatedly, have to wait at least two more hours, etc. and that's just gonna get more difficult as time goes on.

For now, while people are still enthusiastically doing it en masse, it can stay as is. But I can almost assure you there will be complaints and players leaving out of frustration down the line if not changed.

Last story step:

Fading out laser traps while you can't always see them due to cooldown and are also in constant danger of being on fire are one of the most annoying things I've seen in-game. I'm fine dealing with the ring mechanic and jumps in combination with the non-simple fire patterns. But hey, between a combination of instinctively trying to dodgeroll past them and me just being plain bad at the fading in/out ones due to sight issues and cooldowns on the ring, I managed to get the achievement for all of Joko's taunts! I'm not asking you to tone this down, I guess. There are players with various types of disability that wouldn't be able to get past this part at all. But even though it was annoying to me, others are going to be thrilled (see: the achievement). Not everything will match my playstyle, and that's a-okay.

This entire episode was made greatly easier by having just one more person around. I'm honestly not sure if I could have finished the last instance solo though, as a sword weaver. I have little crowd control, and my only somewhat consistent ranged option is Ice Bow, so I'd be largely useless when I had to stand on the platforms to avoid the beetles on the floor. (This is part of a larger design flaw with sword Weaver, imo - needs a few small ranged attack options that don't require you to have a specific skill slotted. Phase shift on bounties is so annoying like this.) When I died and checkpointed the first time - which I had to do to switch to a ranged option since eles don't have weapon swapping - I barely had enough time to switch to staff before a scarab came and exploded on me while I still had my inventory up haha.

Honestly though, how much do I really trust that he's gone? Mmmm we saw (or rather, heard) a body, but...there's no way it's that easy, after centuries. And gods know what that did to Aurene. (But please Aurene, stop Ex Machina-ing things, I was genuinely enjoying the joko stuff.) I was really hoping he'd stick around until Mad King's Day so we could learn the origin story of their squabbles. I guess there's a possibility we still could, even if retroactively. Please give us that lore! (And also more lore about Joko's early years and rise to power, please.)

That dialogue though, that cutscene! That was amazing! Kudos to Nolan North, the animators, and the writers for giving me chills. If that was indeed the end of him, you hit it out of the park. Things have been going downhill for our commander mentally since at least episode 3 (we get a lot more curt and sarcastic) with a lot of it coming even earlier if Sylvari. Joko found just the sort of weak point that's gonna keep us awake at night, I think. As someone with abuse-related PTSD, I can attest that the smallest of mistakes can leave you crumbling mentally if you think you're not good enough or letting people down, so I could see our overwhelmed and jaded commander really getting hit hard by "what if Joko was right?" when they mess up or have to make a choice between the lesser of two evils - which has basically been every choice we've made since S3, ahaha.

So, um...Joko's scepter legendary when? I want it so much. It was a scepter in GW1 but it looks more like a staff here. I'd prefer it be a scepter (maybe we melt it down?) since we already have two staves and Meteorologicus is - while cool in theory - incredibly tacky. But my necro's name is literally "Mrs. Joko" and I need that in her grubby little hands.

I'm rambling so much that nobody probably has time to read all of this, but...there was good, there was bad, and there was a whole lotta awesome.

• We just had a story with PoF where we had a series of confrontations with the bad guy. Doing that again would just be Balthazar Mark II. Instead, we get a villain who thinks differently. His motivations are different, his goals are different, and he ramps up his plans so the heroes don't have a lot of extra time to martial their forces. He puts it all on the table because he figures pushing the confrontation quickly plays to his strengths. He saw what happened when Balthazar didn't keep the right focus, and thought he could succeed with a different strategy.

Additionally, while people can lament him being gone too quick, we never got sick of him. It's better to burn out than fade away.

• Raizel.8175Raizel.8175 Member ✭✭✭✭

The ending really felt boring and anticlimatic.

I also hope that they stop to pull the deus-ex-machina-move.

• foozlesprite.8051foozlesprite.8051 Member ✭✭✭

@Blaeys.3102 said:
    This is poorly designed and should be addressed as soon as possible. Either take that requirement out of the collection or make the beetle a champion/spawn more often. Gameplay that requires sitting around in a map with nothing else to do hoping you aren't taking a drink or looking away when the boss spawns is just bad - and even worse, boring - game design.

I'd recommend they just make it a collection item out there, a scarab you can click on that ground or something. Find some kind of bush or tree (whatever scarabs are associated with more) and harvest/chop to grab it for the collection. Everybody can harvest from the same node as well, which would help the issue. OR put it in a different place for each person in the area, and possibly require the raptor/springer to get to some of the locations. Just some options to make it more engaging.

• Juillin.5361Juillin.5361 Member
    edited June 28, 2018

While I agree that I feel that it happened kind of quickly, I don't think "rushed" is the best word for it. In general, the recent story content, Living World and expansion, arcs have been very... staccato. They bounce from one idea/line to the next without dwelling on the "current situation" too much (and that includes the downtime between chapters and the instances within those chapters.) "Divinity's reach is under attack! - never mind, it's over." When it comes to someone like Eir or Vlast dying, there's usually a minor note of "Aw, (s)he's gone.." and your quest marker goes "off to the next thing!" without making too many callbacks to what just happened.

Granted, the more recent stuff IS getting better at giving you a little closure at the end of the episode rather than just suddenly drop-like-a-hot-tamale you used to get (see: Heart of Thorns,) It's not a bad thing in that it keeps the story moving, but it sometimes does prevent you from being able to sit back and 'be in the moment' for some of the bigger (more important) events.

It's no use complaining about the "farmed mob spawns" because the issue only exists on release. It's also not that difficult to still land a hit for kill credit.

Bite me.

• Grohiik.1852Grohiik.1852 Member ✭✭

You raised the bar so much with the latest episode.
    However, I want to say that the new map is... lackluster. The drops and rewards are underwhelming and the meta... What's up with the meta? Why are there 3 lanes and we only use one of them?
    Unless you'll add some content into it, sad reality is that the new map will quickly be abandoned. I don't know what's going on, but I am having some faith that you will find the right balance for meta-centric and explorable maps.
    But please, do something for the Moon fortress meta.

edited June 28, 2018

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

He boasted about a lot of things that weren’t true. Would killing him after episode six really be that much of a difference?

While its true he likes to brag and steal others credit, it is a fact he conquered and surpressed elona and that he was technically unkillable

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:
    Not reading thread to avoid spoilers. Just wanted to chime in really fast with a small gripe. The Herald. Aside from the worry that Anet is going to turn around and say they are also "E", I really hate that they come across so capable and knowledgeable in their letters to you through core game leveling and when you meet them, they are basically a teenage fangirl. Its kind of obnoxious as a character portrayal.

Odd, they used to be adult Human males.

• Avster.1935Avster.1935 Member ✭✭

Here are my thoughts on the new episode.

Pros: Good story, animation, cutscene, dialogue and mount!
    Cons: Bad map design, wasted potential on the Moon Fortress, I felt it was extremely underwhelming, likewise with the meta.

I'm not sure what took so much time to release this episode, but it certainty felt like map design was not a priority and/or it just wasn't executed properly.

Overall: Probably will become of the least visited maps in the future, and that's a shame.

Voice of the Void | Demon's Demise | The Eternal

• Myrdreth.6829Myrdreth.6829 Member ✭✭✭

Good riddance! I hate undead beings, they are just so...eww D: Doesn't matter how interesting or important to the story they are, I simply don't like them. I am glad it's over now.

But I must say, he was really funny at the end. I especially liked the insults he threw at Braham.

• Walhalla.5473Walhalla.5473 Member ✭✭✭

The meta for that map is... Well its very dissapointing and it feels like content was cut from it. I mean we are in Gandara. The Moon Fortress and all we do is punching some containers in a back alley? A huge step backwards compared to both metas in Sandswept Isles, not to mention the Istan metas. I even tried to use mounts to get to the rest of Gandara only to be met with invisible walls. :(
    There is so much wasted potential here.

The Storytelling itself goes up and up. Especially with the cinematic at the end. I was really impressed.... And then we just get a draconis ex machina. Srsly. That was so dissapointing, especially after your story-telling went quite up. Using DEM to kill off an important character in the lore is just a really big miss, like we were in season 1 again storywise.

• Raizel.8175Raizel.8175 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Juillin.5361 said:
    While I agree that I feel that it happened kind of quickly, I don't think "rushed" is the best word for it. In general, the recent story content, Living World and expansion, arcs have been very... staccato. They bounce from one idea/line to the next without dwelling on the "current situation" too much (and that includes the downtime between chapters and the instances within those chapters.) "Divinity's reach is under attack! - never mind, it's over." When it comes to someone like Eir or Vlast dying, there's usually a minor note of "Aw, (s)he's gone.." and your quest marker goes "off to the next thing!" without making too many callbacks to what just happened.

Still, just pulling a deus ex machina is stupid and bad storytelling. The guy was set up as major antagonist and died just too easily. It just doesn't fit at all, especially considering how powerful he got during E2. In that regard, it does feel rushed.

• maxwelgm.4315maxwelgm.4315 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018

Anet has a lot of interesting little tidbits of story they literally get done with and move onto the next hype thing. It looks like a child playing pretend and they have eaten a lot of sugar: one minute they are playing with the robot toys from the future and the next time you look they've jumped to a completely different and unrelated world of dragons and liches. They need a professional writer. As in someone who can actually write a book cover to cover and link up all the pieces. Ree used to do that but she left last year and apparently it is showing. Not to say things like Scarlet weren't hyper over the top, but at least* things still were coherent enough (even if the coherence was maintained by the goddess of Mary Sues...). Mordremoth's arc was full of shortcomings and yet it had a clear beginning and ending, with a proper building up to the last encounter and a meaningful delivery that made the villain something we still wonder about up to today. After PoF though, we just have this amalgamation of separate mini stories. Balthazar? Yeah he was just evil after all, Anet hinted at motive and forgot about it, move along people.

Is this a bad thing? You bet it isn't, as long as they use original characters and do not invest/reuse GW1 characters. Using someone who had plenty of background lore to begin with (Lazarus, Balthazar, Joko) to portray your miniboss story instance is really bad for long term narrative. Which leads to my point: there is no longer any narrative to Guild Wars 2, it's just these separate tidbits that are amazing in standalone but mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. This episode could very well have skipped the previous 2, and likewise Joko was merely peripheral to the Inquest-driven plot of episode 2, as well as the first episode only loosely sets up the one following from it. I think this might have to do with the fact that Anet uses different teams to write each episode, and apparently they don't talk to each other at all or are just bad at talking to each other.

• Sardeth Wynn.9548Sardeth Wynn.9548 Member ✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018

To the Devs that added the Leyline Anomaly to the collection for the new Mount, (Because I havent gotten past this yet)
    Did you think this though?
    Of Course not, so I am sitting at Gendarran Fields, watching the timer aaaaaand its over before I even get an event notice that it spawned, I don't even know how many were there, did see a lot of the new mounts. (Turned setting way down so I would stop lagging)
    Why you didn't think, if you get newer players, the shiny over this will have faded, people will not be doing this as much and expect the forums to be flooded with comments about how there is no one doing this anymore, people will be complaining about paying to unlock the content and able to .... well you know.
    Then you get the "Should have moved faster", "That's the breaks just have to wait another 2 hours, LOL see you then."
    Just add a merchant, make it one of the other collecting events, heck what the hell is that Leyline gathering tool we craft actually FOR? Could have had something in Dry Top, no you did this. Which will bite you if you get new players in a year or two.
    Personally, I don't like being the new content.

A plan? **
    **Seriously?

Whispers: "Ok.. Hit it till it stops moving then a few more times just to be sure it won't move ever again."
    What do you mean there is a Guide? Why do I have to play someone else's Game?

• Ara.8540Ara.8540 Member ✭✭

Huge, huge props to the team who designed the roller beetle. I watched the youtube video about your process and I'm just so blown away. The whole mounts system in general in GW2 is the best of any MMO I've played, and the beetle is just above and beyond in terms of fun to use.

I also loved the story chapter. I got hit with the feels big time when all our allies ported in one group at a time through the rift - nice touch there! And the finale fight/surprise ending... HAHAHA.

The meta leaves a lot to be desired. I thought with the different fronts it would make for a more involved multi-prong assault on Joko, but it didn't turn out that way.

• DragonSlayer.1087DragonSlayer.1087 Member ✭✭✭

I really like this episode. It's very entertaining and it gives drammmmaaaaa.

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2018

I love the roller beetle mount. I enjoyed the story. But I hate seeing collections once again tied to failing an event (specifically the vine wall destruction one). I just sat here and watched the wall destruction event happen, with no one around to attack the Awakened; the Awakened managed to only get the wall to about 10% before it ended. And then I tried again, this time killing the first group to let the vet spawn . . . still didn't work out.

Oh look. I have a signature now.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.