Game starts but I see nothing (not due to new patch) — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Game starts but I see nothing (not due to new patch)

Hi,
Sometimes when I start the game nothing appears on my desktop, I keep seeing it as if I didn't start the game but I can hear the ingame music and I can't click on anything anymore... The only way to close it at this point is to restart the pc or switch user and this can only be done by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then from the blue screen I can switch user. Even if I try to close it from task manager I still can't because I can't click on anything...

I hoped this would be fixed by the new patch but the problem is still here.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Sorry if this was addressed in the past but I couldn't find anything helpful with the search function on the forum.

Comments

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Do you use any overlay programs, such as Discord? If so, try disabling them.

    Good luck.

  • @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Do you use any overlay programs, such as Discord? If so, try disabling them.

    Good luck.

    No... nothing else is running usually. Thanks for your reply :)

  • skillze.7689skillze.7689 Member ✭✭✭

    @Hilirith.1073 said:
    Hi,
    Sometimes when I start the game nothing appears on my desktop, I keep seeing it as if I didn't start the game but I can hear the ingame music and I can't click on anything anymore... The only way to close it at this point is to restart the pc or switch user and this can only be done by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then from the blue screen I can switch user. Even if I try to close it from task manager I still can't because I can't click on anything...

    I hoped this would be fixed by the new patch but the problem is still here.

    Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

    Sorry if this was addressed in the past but I couldn't find anything helpful with the search function on the forum.

    If you have a login setup from the GW2 icon using a command line for -nopatchui and two step authentication on the account you will need to log into the client using the login ui normally and enter a new authentication number thats normally what stops the game from opening and stays on a black screen

  • @skillze.7689 said:

    If you have a login setup from the GW2 icon using a command line for -nopatchui and two step authentication on the account you will need to log into the client using the login ui normally and enter a new authentication number thats normally what stops the game from opening and stays on a black screen

    Thanks for the reply,

    I didn't change the login setup and I don't have the two step authentication for my account either. The screen doesn't go black, I see my desktop background but I can't click on anything, also, the mouse cursor changes to the one I have in the game menu.

  • Magnuzone.8395Magnuzone.8395 Member ✭✭✭

    Fix your game. How hard can it be to install an update to a server? You can test it virtually before it launches.

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Hilirith.1073 said:

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    Do you use any overlay programs, such as Discord? If so, try disabling them.

    Good luck.

    No... nothing else is running usually. Thanks for your reply :)

    You can try the Command Line Argument, -windowed (Instructions found in the Wiki accessed via the link above.)

    Good luck.

  • TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

    If you're running Win 10 build 1803 then you'll want to
    1) Go to Settings
    2) Turn off Focus Assist
    3) Right click GW2 icon go to Properties
    4) Click the Compatibility Tab
    5) Check Disable Full Screen Optimization.

  • @TexZero.7910 said:
    If you're running Win 10 build 1803 then you'll want to
    1) Go to Settings
    2) Turn off Focus Assist
    3) Right click GW2 icon go to Properties
    4) Click the Compatibility Tab
    5) Check Disable Full Screen Optimization.

    Thank you very much :)

    I don't have Focus Assist but disabling the Full Screen Optimization seems to have done the job.

    I've logged in and out a few times to see what happens and everything was ok.

    Thanks again.

  • I'm having the same problem this guy is having. I open the game and nothing changes but the mouse icon, and I have to restart my computer to be able to do anything else. I don't have Focus Assist on, and I disabled the Full Screen Optimization, and now when I open the game, it's a black screen with the mouse icon and I still have to restart my computer.