Boring stuff in Black Lion Chests

I bought 5 Keys. In addition to this and that I got 4 bags of mats.

Bags of loot are boring. When I open a chest I don’t want to get the mats that I can get from killing mobs. That is routine stuff that I can get playing the game and sell eventually for a silver or two. Getting mats from a BLC feels like filler material was added to pad slim pickings. Instead of boring mats, players should be getting fun stuff. Why not, for example, give out filler like short term (say 30 minutes) cosmetics. Like an aura of some sort or a glow pattern when your char moves its hands or footprints for your mount or an aura for your mount. Loot bags of mats are unimaginative and don’t excite your customers when they get them.

I also got upgrade extractors which I don’t really need but I guess people with Legendary armor uses them, or something. That’s another thing I wish they would take out of the BLC and let an NPC sell them for X silver.

Agreed.

Especially the upgrade extractors. I've never used one, or wanted to use one, and now I have 2 which will probably sit in my bank forever. I wish it was possible to sell them or trade them for something else. I know the point of most of the stuff in black lion chests is to pad out the drops so you always get something but the most popular items are rare. But it's annoying to get something I will literally never use.

Even another hair style kit would be better and I'm seriously considering using one of them to add a slight blue sheen to a characters hair because I have no other use for it.

@Stalkingwolf.6035 said:The Black Lion Lockbreaker Kit are a joke. Everybody playing this game has tons of this items.

I don't.

I don't like the HoT zones, but during my trip through the HoT story I wound up getting two of the chests for my home instance. I ran out of the key items for them long ago. Now I can open them a few more times.

That's not to say this is a GOOD item. It's not. But I can use it, and I'm sure I'm far from the only one.

I had hoarded up 26 keys for when we got a new chest. As far as I recall, I got:Got the scarab glider on the 5th keyGot a plasma axe skinGot about 5 wardrobe/armor/ weapon unlocksTwo or three mini eggsTwo hairstyle6 black lion ticket scrapsOne total makeoverOne tyrian exchange voucherTwo upgrade extractorsTwo teleportsAbout 20 transmutation chargesAbout 14 dye kits (one rare)2 Elonian material chestsMaybe 6 Tier 5 mat bags.

Can't really grumble about lack of variety.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I also got upgrade extractors which I don’t really need but I guess people with Legendary armor uses them, or something. That’s another thing I wish they would take out of the BLC and let an NPC sell them for X silver.

Just a comment on this. No, not even Legendary Armor makes use of these.If we want to change infusions the fractal extraction is easier/cheaper and Runes are pop and drop (What you put in just pushes out not overwrites).

I thought upgrade extractor> @TexZero.7910 said:

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:I also got upgrade extractors which I don’t really need but I guess people with Legendary armor uses them, or something. That’s another thing I wish they would take out of the BLC and let an NPC sell them for X silver.

Just a comment on this. No, not even Legendary Armor makes use of these.If we want to change infusions the fractal extraction is easier/cheaper and Runes are pop and drop (What you put in just pushes out not overwrites).

I thought upgrade extractors were those expensive gem store items to remove upgrades from armor/weapons so you don't lose expensive runes and sigils if you want to change them. Legendary armor has the ability to swap upgrades without needing an extractor, but not legendary weapons as of now as far as I know. I thought the fractal extraction only worked for removing infusions.

The chests are never a good bet, but I'd rather get a lame 'prize' like mats worth less than the key than to get something of no value at all like a 30 minute cosmetic. Really what they should do is to allow you to turn in prizes for tokens that you can spend on a prize you'd rather have. Even if they priced it so you'd lose half the value it would be better than the existing method. They've made some steps in this direction, but it should go further and allow you to essentially reject any unwanted prize in favor of some kind of trade.

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:I thought upgrade extractor> @TexZero.7910 said:

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:I also got upgrade extractors which I don’t really need but I guess people with Legendary armor uses them, or something. That’s another thing I wish they would take out of the BLC and let an NPC sell them for X silver.

I thought
were those expensive gem store items to remove upgrades from armor/weapons so you don't lose expensive runes and sigils if you want to change them. Legendary armor has the ability to swap upgrades without needing an extractor, but not legendary weapons as of now as far as I know. I thought the
only worked for removing infusions.

Yes which is why i didn't mention weapons. Even then, i doubt people who have legendary weapons are going to fuss over spending gold on sigil's.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:Was hoping mount skins being a drop from these would be a trend. Guess not.

It also sucks that skin drops from previous boxes remain in it. It really discourages people from opening every box and only going for every other one.

Except I didn't get the skin drops from the last batch and now there's still a chance to get them, so there is that.

@Biff.5312 said:The chests are never a good bet, but I'd rather get a lame 'prize' like mats worth less than the key than to get something of no value at all like a 30 minute cosmetic. Really what they should do is to allow you to turn in prizes for tokens that you can spend on a prize you'd rather have. Even if they priced it so you'd lose half the value it would be better than the existing method. They've made some steps in this direction, but it should go further and allow you to essentially reject any unwanted prize in favor of some kind of trade.

Maybe if they made the cosmetics sellable on the TP. They probably would sell for more than the mid tier mats that is what we usually get so that could be a win win.

@"Biff.5312" said:The chests are never a good bet, but I'd rather get a lame 'prize' like mats worth less than the key than to get something of no value at all like a 30 minute cosmetic. Really what they should do is to allow you to turn in prizes for tokens that you can spend on a prize you'd rather have. Even if they priced it so you'd lose half the value it would be better than the existing method. They've made some steps in this direction, but it should go further and allow you to essentially reject any unwanted prize in favor of some kind of trade.

The statuettes were put in place to provide this type of "back-up" prize. You just need to "win enough tokens". That said, it would be nice if some of the other, account bound items could be traded for statuettes at the same vendor (I'm looking at you, self-style hair kit...). At least if you opened up a chest and got one of those, you could cash it out for a statuette or maybe a few... a single statuette will always get you the 1g junk token.

Glad to be saving my keys this time around. Fully agree with OP as well.

And then there's the items that show up even after you bind permanent ones.Can we please get statuettes for situations like these? I got 4 hair kits in my last batch, but I have the PERManent one, so it'd be fantastic to be able to trade those in for even just a few statuettes. Not even asking for gems, though Support was lovely in allowing a one-time refund.

I do like the newer approach with the chests, but OP's right. Some of the stuff in there, especially the loot bags, just feel like deliberate filler to stop us from getting something more useful.

Archived