Griffon updraft mastery!

As has been discussed before.... at length... repeatedly... This is a nice idea, but doing that makes Gliding completely useless. They aren't going to make newer masteries overwrite old ones. They want older content to be as timeless as possible, so that nobody feels left behind or left out because they stopped playing for awhile.

I wouldn't say it would render gliding completely useless, since not everyone has a griffon. But for those that do have griffons, it would be an improvement for their game play experience without restricting the gameplay of those that don't have pof or a griffon.

As it is now, I don't use my griffron in some situations (ex daily Hot Vista viewer - glide out of lost precipice using up drafts in VB for that closest vista). Being able to updraft my griffon wouldn't change my ability to get that Vista and it wouldn't limit those without griffons from continuing to do the same.

They should allow updrafts but also make it different than how it's done with gliding. If the griffon passes thru an updraft at high speed nothing should happen because forward momentum is too strong, at normal speed it should give a slight bump in elevation and when your pulling back to do a slow decent it then should act like glider updrafts but rise at a slower rate than gliders because of the griffon mass. This along with being able to disable gliders in the air would give the advantage to gliders and still make them useful. When gliding you often need to disable them especially on updrafts. Keep the disable to gliders only.

@Forsaken.7015 said:Maybe something to let you dismount as well as mount mid air then. Often times I really want to get off to get some more altitude lol

If you fly along walls and cliffs or in among trees or airship wreckage you can gain ridiculous amounts of altitude by firing Wing Flap whenever Griffy's feet are on the ground or a tree branch or something.

Gliders=Hot content, updrafts=Hot Content.Griffon=PoF content , updrafts not present in PoF.

Updrafts and leyline gliding are literally the only things which make gliders still viable for people with Griffons (you can add stealth gliding to this if you want, I wouldn't).

@"Jski.6180" said:Why not make gliders have the ability to clime once like a griffon not every one going to get griffons most ppl are going to have grinding.

In all honesty, active players who own Griffons probably outnumber those who don't currently (especially given the frequent threads "can't complete griffon collection since nobody is doing the events for it any more"). Personally the griffon quests did not feel like a grind at all, but rather a series of adventures which in all honestly I enjoyed and would repeat happily.In addition - gliders can climb - using updrafts. That's how they were designed to interact with the environment.

@MarshallLaw.9260 said:Gliders=Hot content, updrafts=Hot Content.Griffon=PoF content , updrafts not present in PoF.

Updrafts and leyline gliding are literally the only things which make gliders still viable for people with Griffons (you can add stealth gliding to this if you want, I wouldn't).

I must disagree with you here. The Griffon seems clumsy compared to the glider. It's easier to make precise landings, gliding from a high point to a small landing spot, using a glider than it is using a Griffon.

@Zelanard.5806 said:

@"MarshallLaw.9260" said:Gliders=Hot content, updrafts=Hot Content.Griffon=PoF content , updrafts not present in PoF.

I must disagree with you here. The Griffon seems clumsy compared to the glider. It's easier to make precise landings, gliding from a high point to a small landing spot, using a glider than it is using a Griffon.

Varying results for different players certainly.Griffon dive for me is fairly accurate and you can descend directly down at a slower pace by holding "S" (or whatever your "back" key is) just like with a glider. Turning is arguably sharper on a glider but Wing Flap on Griffon gives you extra elevation in case your positioning is incorrect.

@MarshallLaw.9260 said:

@MarshallLaw.9260 said:Gliders=Hot content, updrafts=Hot Content.Griffon=PoF content , updrafts not present in PoF.

Varying results for different players certainly.Griffon dive for me is fairly accurate and you can descend directly down at a slower pace by holding "S" (or whatever your "back" key is) just like with a glider. Turning is arguably sharper on a glider but
Wing Flap
on Griffon gives you extra elevation in case your positioning is incorrect.

In fact, careful use of the "back" key on a fully mastered Griffon will allow you to descend actually vertically, whereas the glider will always advance slowly while you hold down "back". To descend vertically without Griffy, you have to stow your glider and plummet.

• 1 month later...

@Forsaken.7015 said:Maybe something to let you dismount as well as mount mid air then. Often times I really want to get off to get some more altitude lol

you can always step somewhere with your mount and use the updraft, masteries are there to help, but the player use their brains helps a lot as well, you can use your mount while gliding, what helps alot already so learn how to dismount to use a glide, look at spots around where you could dismount fast and use the glider, I do that all the time and works well for me. If you are a explorer you will always find spots like that. Either smash your griffon on a lower wall pressing 1 to dismount then glide ;).

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

Varying results for different players certainly.Griffon dive for me is fairly accurate and you can descend directly down at a slower pace by holding "S" (or whatever your "back" key is) just like with a glider. Turning is arguably sharper on a glider but
Wing Flap
on Griffon gives you extra elevation in case your positioning is incorrect.

In fact, careful use of the "back" key on a fully mastered Griffon will allow you to descend actually vertically, whereas the glider will always advance slowly while you hold down "back". To descend vertically without Griffy, you have to stow your glider and plummet.

Oh Lord, how grffon masters are you all. besides the "back" button, or "S" theres also the button "V" this last one allows you to control your dive a lot better. when you press S, it goes all the way down, when you use V you can let it dive just to the point you want and then fly to wherever you need to get to. Id make no modification on griffon or either glider. It is nice to be able to use both, and it is greater for having both mastered to use them when I need them. Mounts already made hot contents a lot easier, including MP and HP hunting, but I am glad that I have all hot masteries to use when I need them.

@LucianDK.8615 said:would take too much away from gliders. also dont forget that you can mount up in midair.

Yes but you can't dismount in midair to use an updraft..

Personally I'm completely in favor of mastery synergy and have suggested the very thing myself in the past.

I'm greatly disappointed that some mastery mechanics have pretty much died with the addition of new content and others were straight up 1 hit wonders like the Oakvine hookshot (which is still one of the most fun)The Griffon has already taken almost total use of the glider away anyway even in HoT and LW3 maps gliding is completely obsolete when you have a Griffon.Allowing it to use updrafts wouldn't take much more away from gliding tbh.. if anything it would just make updrafts a more permanent and reoccurring thing in future LW content and would allow players who only have HoT to be able to play without mounts thus removing the need to lock them from the content because they can't complete it without mounts.

@LucianDK.8615 said:would take too much away from gliders. also dont forget that you can mount up in midair.

However you can't dismount in midair to catch an updraft. I think updrafts should be added but act differently depending on approach speed. Griffon moving over normal speed shouldn't get anything from an updraft, moving at normal forward could give a slight bump in altitude as it moves through the updraft to the other side and griffon in a slow forward motion that's normally for descending should be able to catch an updraft like gliders. It would act more like a bird w/updrafts that way. Gliders would still have one up over griffon w/updrafts because you can put the glider away but not dismount the griffon.

Archived