New level 80 Guardian need directions

Lars.3780

There are lots of ways to get armor. If you want to maximize your damage, you'd want Beserker stats (Power, Precision, Ferocity), which can also be gotten multiple ways. If you've got Armorsmithing up to 400, you could craft an exotic set of armor with Beserker stats. If you have a lot of karma to burn you could buy it from Keeper Jonez Deadrun at the Cathedral of Silence in Cursed Shore.

If you need more suitability, you might try Soldier's, Valkyries or Knights stats

@"Lars.3780" said:Just leveld today to 80 and I'm confused what armor I need to buy and where I can get it.

The answer is complicated, and there is not just "do this one thing", there are many ways to gear up and play.

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Open_World includes both guides to builds that people find effective at level 80, and guides on how to gear up, etc, in the game. They are way more comprehensive than anything you will get here.

@Sephylon.4938 said:which game mode do you want to get into pvp, wvw, or pve?

Gear isn't very relevant in regards to PvP, so it's a question of the latter 2 options. (PvP has standardized stats which are determined by an amulet pick that costs nothing)

You can't go wrong if you pick Berserker gear as a guardian. It is the top damage gear-set for Dragonhunter and Core.Buy level 80 exotics, nothing less. So don't waste gold on rares(unless you want a specific skin that's only available as a rare).You can either craft level 80 exotics yourself with 400 skill in Armorsmithing or Weaponsmithing or you can buy them off the TP. Buy the named variant, not the crafted Dragonscale armor or Pearl weapons. For Exotic Armor I think the named Berserker variant is called Koss's, though I'm not 100% sure.

@Yannir.4132 said:

@"Sephylon.4938" said:which game mode do you want to get into pvp, wvw, or pve?

Gear isn't very relevant in regards to PvP, so it's a question of the latter 2 options. (PvP has standardized stats which are determined by an amulet pick that costs nothing)

IIRC, you need to wear something our the "naked means extra easy to stab" penalty applies, but it doesn't matter if that is just level 1 gear, right?

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

IIRC, you need to wear
something
our the "naked means extra easy to stab" penalty applies, but it doesn't matter if that is just level 1 gear, right?

Yeah, you literally get everything you need at character creation. Armor in PvP comes from Chest, Legs and Boots. Everything else is just cosmetics.PS. Broken gear doesn't give armor value so make sure it's not broken. :lol:

@Yannir.4132 said:

IIRC, you need to wear
something
our the "naked means extra easy to stab" penalty applies, but it doesn't matter if that is just level 1 gear, right?

Yeah, you literally get everything you need at character creation. Armor in PvP comes from Chest, Legs and Boots. Everything else is just cosmetics.PS. Broken gear doesn't give armor value so make sure it's
not
broken. :lol:

Huh. Do you mean "the amount of armor, thus toughness" comes from those three pieces, or just that they are the only ones you need wear to avoid the penalty? Asking for a friend. ;)

@Lars.3780 said:Just leveld today to 80 and I'm confused what armor I need to buy and where I can get it.

Hope someone can help thank you

The first thing you should do is pick a spec. That will determine what gear you are going to buy. You have power builds (direct damage), condition builds (damage over time), and support builds (bluffs, debuffs, defense). I would start with a power damage build to start out with. The trading post is pretty easy to filter out for gear you are looking for, and you can get a full set for a few gold. The best way to figure out your build is to check on metabattle.com and check out the new open world section of whatever class you want.

If you are having problems with survival, you can change out some of your gear for more defensive pieces. If you can't survive with berserker gear, you can look into keeping berserker weapons and accessories, and change out your armor for soldiers, valkyrie or something along those lines.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

IIRC, you need to wear
something

Yeah, you literally get everything you need at character creation. Armor in PvP comes from Chest, Legs and Boots. Everything else is just cosmetics.PS. Broken gear doesn't give armor value so make sure it's
not
broken. :lol:

Huh. Do you mean "the amount of armor, thus toughness" comes from those three pieces, or just that they are the only ones you need wear to avoid the penalty? Asking for a friend. ;)

It's not technically a penalty. See, we have a stat called Defense which is based on a value gained from armor + toughness. Guardian as an example of heavy armor, has a base defense of about 2100. For a light armor class that number would be about 1800. Exactly 1k of that(at level 80 which you are upscaled to in PvP) is base Toughness, the rest come from your armor. Then on top of that you add any Toughness you've given yourself from runes, traits, amulet, etc..

The 3 starter pieces you get at character creation, Chest, Legs and Boots, each account for a third of that about 1,1k defense on top of Toughness you get as a heavy armor class. It's automatically full defense value, doesn't matter what level the gear is. The same goes for weapon damage values as well btw. A broken piece of equipment counts as not having an armor piece equipped. Hand, Shoulder and Head piece don't give you any additional value, they're just there for the Fashion Wars.

Archived