disconnects

@joevw.1253 said:Hell no, theres no money in that for BattleNet. I couldnt even get into the maps last night lol

Yup, i couldn't either. Even after the last patch/ bugfix.But then, even without another update, i was able to complete the instance.Now i'm stucked in another instance (Be My Guest), 5 disconnections and the frustration finally overcame the will to play it.

But what i'm saying is: This isn't a problem with this release.Instance disconnections happens everyday in GW2, but in a smaller scale.The problem is there for a long time, is chronical and i don't see nothing being done about it.

I’m attempting the last story instance of this episode again when I get off work and given the content within the instance, I’m really hoping I don’t get disconnected again because it will be excruciating. They need to at the very least start adding more checkpoints in these instances. I don’t know why they haven’t but in this particular instance there absolutely has to be one with the disconnects that are running rampant in these things.

The weird thing is the disconnects only seem to affect certain people. I'm one of the lucky ones who can't remember the last time I got disconnected without it being a problem on my end or with my ISP, but for other people it seems to happen almost every time they do a story mission. And from what I've seen in forum discussions there's no clear pattern in terms of location, type of computer, ISP etc.

If it was something to do with story missions themselves or Anet's servers I would have thought it'd affect everyone equally, not just some people. But if it was on the players end surely there should be some sort of common factor among the people affected?

@"Danikat.8537" said:The weird thing is the disconnects only seem to affect certain people. I'm one of the lucky ones who can't remember the last time I got disconnected without it being a problem on my end or with my ISP, but for other people it seems to happen almost every time they do a story mission. And from what I've seen in forum discussions there's no clear pattern in terms of location, type of computer, ISP etc.

Yeah, that is exactly what the ANet developer actively working on it said. So far only two people out of the many I have asked have responded, and both were using Virgin Media SmartHub routers, so ... two samples is a coincidence, not a pattern, but a problem with the router would certainly explain why it is only a small number of players, but also is super-common for them.

If it was something to do with story missions themselves or Anet's servers I would have thought it'd affect everyone equally, not just some people. But if it was on the players end surely there should be some sort of common factor among the people affected?

There almost certainly is. There is definitely common behaviour with the game: the TCP connection goes "idle" for 20-30 seconds, and that is the trigger for disconnects most of the time. That is what leads me to suspect some sort of network level issue for them.

Which sucks.

@DuskStar.2803 said:I'm one of those people gettin frequent disconnects everywhere and anytime, and I don't even try do do the Living Story, just minding my business...

If this started before the Living Story launch yesterday, then you have a different problem from either of the other two described, and you should start a separate top level thread if you want help on it.

If not, then see the response above.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

If this started before the Living Story launch yesterday, then you have a different problem from either of the other two described, and you should start a separate top level thread if you want help on it.

If not, then see the response above.

It did in fact started after the Update. I never had any issues before, so it would be a huge coincidence if it had another cause. Well, waiting paitently for another update^^

i get disconnects only in story mode, doesn't matter which story .. i am only playing for about 2 weeks now and i must admit i am loosing interest i can't seem to finish any mission without at least one or two disconnects .. and obviously they happen at the end of the mission so "the game makes sure you understand the content" when you have to go through the mission again .. so my main character is sitting at the start of the instance while i sit on another char trying to get me to play that mission again .. but make you sick even thinking that you will be disconnected again ..

@"Miasia.3057" said:i get disconnects only in story mode, doesn't matter which story .. i am only playing for about 2 weeks now and i must admit i am loosing interest i can't seem to finish any mission without at least one or two disconnects .. and obviously they happen at the end of the mission so "the game makes sure you understand the content" when you have to go through the mission again .. so my main character is sitting at the start of the instance while i sit on another char trying to get me to play that mission again .. but make you sick even thinking that you will be disconnected again ..

This problem only hits a small number of players but, unfortunately, for them it is pretty persistent. If you don't mind, can I ask what brand and model router you use at home?

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Miasia.3057" said:i get disconnects only in story mode, doesn't matter which story .. i am only playing for about 2 weeks now and i must admit i am loosing interest i can't seem to finish any mission without at least one or two disconnects .. and obviously they happen at the end of the mission so "the game makes sure you understand the content" when you have to go through the mission again .. so my main character is sitting at the start of the instance while i sit on another char trying to get me to play that mission again .. but make you sick even thinking that you will be disconnected again ..

This problem only hits a small number of players but, unfortunately, for them it is pretty persistent. If you don't mind, can I ask what brand and model router you use at home?

Lol, stop pretending it's a small problem. It's a big, persistant problem and happens to a lot of people and it happens from a long time now.No, it's not about the router. It's about the bad instances optimization.If the problem was the persons router this problem would happen in different games, or even in GW2 itself out of instances.

@Malafaia.8903 said:

Lol, stop pretending it's a small problem. It's a big, persistant problem and happens to a lot of people and it happens from a long time now.

Numbers. Show me the numbers that you are using to judge this. Make sure, when you do, you account for the fact that we know that 150,000 players care enough to get their details registered in gw2efficiency, and that the active player population is much bigger than that...

No, it's not about the router. It's about the bad instances optimization.

What aspect of "instances" is badly optimized, causing these disconnections? CPU? Memory? Some aspect of network use?

If the problem was the persons router this problem would happen in different games, or even in GW2 itself out of instances.

Most games have a constant back and forth chatter between the client and the server. GW2 is, in fact, the only one I know that will go dead silent for 20 to 30 seconds, something that happened before every issue with disconnections in stories that I could get a trace of.

I appreciate that you don't want to consider the possibility that this is outside the control of ANet, and you might even be right, but ... if you are correct, you should just give up on GW2 and play something else now. If this really was a problem on the server side, then ANet have established - through developer comments in this thread - that they are not able to isolate it, and so you should expect it never to be fixed.

Now, personally, I really don't believe that to be the case, not least because they are not completely incompetent, and not discovering this happening on the server side through "bad instance optimization" would absolutely require that they were, in fact, as foolish as you seem to think.

Anyway, to make this a little more useful, could you tell me, please, what brand and model of router you have at home?

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

Lol, stop pretending it's a small problem. It's a big, persistant problem and happens to a lot of people and it happens from a long time now.

Numbers. Show me the numbers that you are using to judge this. Make sure, when you do, you account for the fact that we know that 150,000 players care enough to get their details registered in gw2efficiency, and that the active player population is much bigger than that...

What aspect of "instances" is badly optimized, causing these disconnections? CPU? Memory? Some aspect of network use?

If the problem was the persons router this problem would happen in different games, or even in GW2 itself out of instances.

Most games have a constant back and forth chatter between the client and the server. GW2 is, in fact, the only one I know that will go dead silent for 20 to 30 seconds, something that happened before every issue with disconnections in stories that I could get a trace of.

I appreciate that you don't want to consider the possibility that this is outside the control of ANet, and you might even be right, but ... if you are correct, you should just give up on GW2 and play something else now. If this really was a problem on the server side, then ANet have established - through developer comments in this thread - that they are not able to isolate it, and so you should expect it never to be fixed.

Now, personally, I really don't believe that to be the case, not least because they are not completely incompetent, and not discovering this happening on the server side through "bad instance optimization" would absolutely require that they were, in fact, as foolish as you seem to think.

Anyway, to make this a little more useful, could you tell me, please, what brand and model of router you have at home?

Numbers? You really think i need numbers to prove what's in this forums, LA chat, guild chat, etc, everyday? People are screaming and some of them are even being silenced.Isn't the TERRIBLE backlash on the last episode launch enough? The problem just got more visible because a lot of people were trying to join instances and since they're terribly optimized, the servers couldn't keep up.You see what we got as a "fix" for that last episode? Reducing the instance size. I don't know, but sounds much more like a bad instance optimization than my router (wich is an Arris).

@Malafaia.8903 said:

Numbers? You really think i need numbers to prove what's in this forums, LA chat, guild chat, etc, everyday? People are screaming and some of them are even being silenced.Isn't the TERRIBLE backlash on the last episode launch enough? The problem just got more visible because a lot of people were trying to join instances and since they're terribly optimized, the servers couldn't keep up.

Ah. I see. You are conflating two radically different issues, because both of them have disconnection from the server as a symptom. I'm glad to understand that.

You see what we got as a "fix" for that last episode? Reducing the instance size. I don't know, but sounds much more like a bad instance optimization than my router (wich is an Arris).

Thank you for that information. Can you tell me, were you experiencing story disconnects prior to the recent patch, or is this all subsequent to it?

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

Numbers? You really think i need numbers to prove what's in this forums, LA chat, guild chat, etc, everyday? People are screaming and some of them are even being silenced.Isn't the TERRIBLE backlash on the last episode launch enough? The problem just got more visible because a lot of people were trying to join instances and since they're terribly optimized, the servers couldn't keep up.

Ah. I see. You are conflating two radically different issues, because both of them have disconnection from the server as a symptom. I'm glad to understand that.

You see what we got as a "fix" for that last episode? Reducing the instance size. I don't know, but sounds much more like a bad instance optimization than my router (wich is an Arris).

Thank you for that information. Can you tell me, were you experiencing story disconnects prior to the recent patch, or is this all subsequent to it?
  1. What 2 radically different issues? I'm talking about disconnections on story instances. This is what people complain in this forum for years.
  2. What are you trying? Lol. I already told you, and you already know it. That's a major problem in this game, it's happening from a long time and it just gain more visibility on launches (when more instances are being created, since people are TRYING to play new content), be it an xpac or a mere LW episode.

@Malafaia.8903 said:

1. What 2 radically different issues? I'm talking about disconnections on story instances. This is what people complain in this forum for years.

You brought up the "backlash" around the current episode launch. That'd be the one where a string of server crashes kept, y'know, crashing the servers. Which naturally results in people getting disconnected.

Those crashes are unrelated to the longer term problem which causes a small number of people to disconnect almost every time they play a cutscene in a story episode.

1. What are you trying? Lol. I already told you, and you already know it. That's a major problem in this game, it's happening from a long time and it just gain more visibility on launches (when more instances are being created, since people are TRYING to play new content), be it an xpac or a mere LW episode.

I'm trying to understand if you had completely confused two problems, or only mostly confused them.

Perhaps it is more helpful to talk about the problem in risk assessment terms: the long-standing problem is high impact -- when it causes problems, it causes significant problems -- but low frequency -- it only happens to a small number of players.

Nobody is denying that, and I suppose in one way or another your calling it "major" is appropriate enough from the perspective of someone suffering it.

Anyway, ultimately, it doesn't matter. If you have any helpful commentary or questions, we can continue, but otherwise I think that we have reached the end of useful communication. Best of luck.

Speaking for myself, disconnecting has always been an issue during any story mode instance with cut scenes. This was the case years ago, and is the case now, with a fully revamped pc and different router.
I finally decided to run through the story mode, despite this issue.
The mission Victory or Die, the cut scene right after the Mouth fight.. I disconnected 6 times over the course of a couple of days.I tried changing to NA servers. ( I was wondering at the unusually high German speaking population ).
I tried setting the client port and resetting my Windows net settings. Disconnect 7 and 8 at the same spot.Today I ran a client repair. Then I changed from Fullscreen to Windowed Fullscreen.This finally worked. May be coincidence and I’m not sure which of the ‘repair’ or the ‘windowed mode’ may have helped.I’ll post back if I disconnect again. Otherwise, hopefully that helps someone.

Archived