Beetle Mount | Why does the Drift feature dismount you?

It seems odd that the 1 skill or "Roll Out" aka DRIFT MODE dismounts you when you use itThis doesn't feel like drifting, it feels like and attack to engage which i think is the intention, to be like the other mounts.As i understood from the trailer you could drift? but this isn't drifting its attacking. >:(I still have to complete my masteries but I don't see anything close to drifitng here:

MasteriesWrecking ball: Rollout damages foes as you roll over them and launches them a short distance.Barrier Smash: Smash your way into secret areas and destroy volatile crystals with yer roller beetle.Big Air: Learn to perform stylish airborne tricks after boosting to regain endurance.

If the engage button didn't dismount, it would be a lot more fun! Maybe i'm missisng something?

P.S. why aren't the special abilities on the UI bar next to Rollout? Shouldn't they be 2 &3? Seems like this would be much easier when mounted.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

@"Kelly.7019" said:it's like you have no control over the beetle trying to turn when boosted, unlike raptor leap or jackal teleport you have total control. its dreadful.

So what you're saying is, it's working as specifically described multiple times? Good to know.

I only heard about it a week ago in the trailer, briefly.

but as far as helpful comments this video

was a lot more helpful then your sarcasm.

Boosting Speed is special ability 1Drifting is special ability 2I think if these skills were listed on the action bar next to the engage button the confusion might have been less.Being able to see them works better for me for some reason. :DThe movement controls just take some practice to get used to I guess because its just weird at first. but that video helped explain it better.

@Kelly.7019 said:Boosting Speed is special ability 1Drifting is special ability 2I think if these skills were listed on the action bar next to the engage button the confusion might have been less.Being able to see them works better for me for some reason. :DThe movement controls just take some practice to get used to I guess because its just weird at first. but that video helped explain it better.

Spacebar activates the boost, not the 1 skill. It's just like on the other mounts, sparebar is used for jumping, leaping, teleporting (all movement abilities). Just like with the other mounts the 1 skill is always the initiation skill (skill you would use to enter a fight with). Don't confuse mount ability 1 (from the key binds) with the number 1 skill on your skill bar. They are separate. Ability skill 1 always the movement skill that spacebar does, in this case it gives you the boost. Ability 2 is for drifting. Check your key bind so you know what to press and change them if they're not on a good button for you.

Whats confusing is that with the roller beetle mount you have to wait for the stamina meter to fill up, i.e. it starts empty when you switch to it, before you can use your speed up ability which is different to other mounts. Also if you just tap it, it does absolutely nothing you have to hold it down to get meaningful speed.

I think it should be changed to start up with stamina filled. Then it becomes the mount you use as soon as you enter the map to get close to where you want to be. Since it lacks jumps to get around obstacles it wont be overly powerful.

You would think the dirft skill would be on the actual skill bar... I had no idea this skill even existed till I read this thread. Really what are the devs even thinking, there is 4 empty skill slots and they cannot even use one for this? unbelievable.

@"Kelly.7019" said:It seems odd that the 1 skill or "Roll Out" aka DRIFT MODE dismounts you when you use itThis doesn't feel like drifting, it feels like and attack to engage which i think is the intention, to be like the other mounts.As i understood from the trailer you could drift? but this isn't drifting its attacking. >:(I still have to complete my masteries but I don't see anything close to drifitng here:

MasteriesWrecking ball: Rollout damages foes as you roll over them and launches them a short distance.Barrier Smash: Smash your way into secret areas and destroy volatile crystals with yer roller beetle.Big Air: Learn to perform stylish airborne tricks after boosting to regain endurance.

If the engage button didn't dismount, it would be a lot more fun! Maybe i'm missisng something?

P.S. why aren't the special abilities on the UI bar next to Rollout? Shouldn't they be 2 &3? Seems like this would be much easier when mounted.

I said this same thing about Griffin. Don't know why they didn't put mount ability on the action bar. I don't want to hotkey the mount abilities to my numbers because it overwrite my combat action keybinds.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"Kelly.7019" said:It seems odd that the 1 skill or "Roll Out" aka DRIFT MODE dismounts you when you use itThis doesn't feel like drifting, it feels like and attack to engage which i think is the intention, to be like the other mounts.As i understood from the trailer you could drift? but this isn't drifting its attacking. >:(I still have to complete my masteries but I don't see anything close to drifitng here:

Masteries
Wrecking ball: Rollout damages foes as you roll over them and launches them a short distance.Barrier Smash: Smash your way into secret areas and destroy volatile crystals with yer roller beetle.Big Air: Learn to perform stylish airborne tricks after boosting to regain endurance.

I said this same thing about Griffin. Don't know why they didn't put mount ability on the action bar. I don't want to hotkey the mount abilities to my numbers because it overwrite my combat action keybinds.

Have you even tried? I mean, I know it will either say it'll over write it or that another skill uses it, but looking in my own keybinds, I've got 'V' as Dodge and Mount Ability 1, and 'B' as WvW Panel and Mount Ability 2. When mounted, the mount skills you have bound will override the other binds, but since you can't use your weapon skills while mounted, it wont matter. Do you get what I'm saying?

There's a BIG difference, if the command you're trying to bind shows as RED ("You will overwrite"), it will remove the bind it warns you about to reassign it, if it shows as YELLOW ("Used by insert other bound skill"), it'll be a situational bind, such as, while mounted.

The main issue I have with it is that at speed, I'm constantly running into objects long before they actually render on my computer. I'm set to lowest LoS distance (cus 2011 comp, and no I cannot afford another comp), so objects don't even start rendering until I'm pretty much on top of them when I'm moving at speed. It's like flying blind.

Between that, the lack of evades, and the unresponsiveness of the drift (yes I know how to use it but on my comp I see very little difference between using it and not), I see it as a very niche mount, useful only for covering large flat/downhill distances across relatively open terrain. For most circumstances, I'm going to stick to jackal/raptor.

@BlueMelody.6398 said:The main issue I have with it is that at speed, I'm constantly running into objects long before they actually render on my computer. I'm set to lowest LoS distance (cus 2011 comp, and no I cannot afford another comp), so objects don't even start rendering until I'm pretty much on top of them when I'm moving at speed. It's like flying blind.

Between that, the lack of evades, and the unresponsiveness of the drift (yes I know how to use it but on my comp I see very little difference between using it and not), I see it as a very niche mount, useful only for covering large flat/downhill distances across relatively open terrain. For most circumstances, I'm going to stick to jackal/raptor.

Holy shit dude... 7 years old, you can't expect it running smoothly. Not the fault of the game.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

@BlueMelody.6398 said:The main issue I have with it is that at speed, I'm constantly running into objects long before they actually render on my computer. I'm set to lowest LoS distance (cus 2011 comp, and no I cannot afford another comp), so objects don't even start rendering until I'm pretty much on top of them when I'm moving at speed. It's like flying blind.

Holy kitten dude... 7 years old, you can't expect it running smoothly. Not the fault of the game.

Yeah, that's really a user's problem rather than a problem with the mount's design.

@PinkFluff.6084 said:

@Kelly.7019 said:Boosting Speed is special ability 1Drifting is special ability 2I think if these skills were listed on the action bar next to the engage button the confusion might have been less.Being able to see them works better for me for some reason. :DThe movement controls just take some practice to get used to I guess because its just weird at first. but that video helped explain it better.

Spacebar activates the boost, not the 1 skill. It's just like on the other mounts, sparebar is used for jumping, leaping, teleporting (all movement abilities). Just like with the other mounts the 1 skill is always the initiation skill (skill you would use to enter a fight with). Don't confuse mount ability 1 (from the key binds) with the number 1 skill on your skill bar. They are separate. Ability skill 1 always the movement skill that spacebar does, in this case it gives you the boost. Ability 2 is for drifting. Check your key bind so you know what to press and change them if they're not on a good button for you.

To be clear: special ability 1 is not the same as the 1 skill. They are two different buttons. Special ability 1 is the mount ability from keybinds. Don't make this more confusing for people.

but this thread has taken on a life of its own since everything had been answered after my previous post above which this is quoting.

@Vavume.8065 said:You would think the dirft skill would be on the actual skill bar... I had no idea this skill even existed till I read this thread. Really what are the devs even thinking, there is 4 empty skill slots and they cannot even use one for this? unbelievable.Yea that was my exact problem to begin with. I didn't realize drift was another button.

@BlueMelody.6398 said:Between that, the lack of evades, and the unresponsiveness of the drift (yes I know how to use it but on my comp I see very little difference between using it and not), I see it as a very niche mount, useful only for covering large flat/downhill distances across relatively open terrain. For most circumstances, I'm going to stick to jackal/raptor.Yea, it seems to be more of a fun mount. Maybe in the future (though i don' t know why they didn't do it here) more of the break through walls will be used in maps. let's hope Jackal and raptor still win out because of the long stamina build up time. You can't switch mounts and boost away, you have to wait. Which makes the player have to be more selective on which mount is the best for which situation. Still, this mount seems kinda pointless other then the fun aspect. Not really useful for the boost when you have to wait 5-10 seconds for it. as far as drifting, imo its better to use it when you aren't boosting, for more control.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

Masteries
Wrecking ball: Rollout damages foes as you roll over them and launches them a short distance.Barrier Smash: Smash your way into secret areas and destroy volatile crystals with yer roller beetle.Big Air: Learn to perform stylish airborne tricks after boosting to regain endurance.

Have you even tried? I mean, I know it will either say it'll over write it or that another skill uses it, but looking in my own keybinds, I've got 'V' as Dodge
and
Mount Ability 1, and 'B' as WvW Panel
and
Mount Ability 2. When mounted, the mount skills you have bound will override the other binds, but since you can't use your weapon skills while mounted, it wont matter. Do you get what I'm saying?

There's a BIG difference, if the command you're trying to bind shows as RED ("You will overwrite"), it will remove the bind it warns you about to reassign it, if it shows as YELLOW ("Used by
insert other bound skill
"), it'll be a situational bind, such as, while mounted.

you are right. Only a bug seem to prevent Drift mount action from working using numbers.

@"Haleydawn.3764" said:Have you even tried? I mean, I know it will either say it'll over write it or that another skill uses it, but looking in my own keybinds, I've got 'V' as Dodge and Mount Ability 1, and 'B' as WvW Panel and Mount Ability 2. When mounted, the mount skills you have bound will override the other binds, but since you can't use your weapon skills while mounted, it wont matter. Do you get what I'm saying?

There's a BIG difference, if the command you're trying to bind shows as RED ("You will overwrite"), it will remove the bind it warns you about to reassign it, if it shows as YELLOW ("Used by insert other bound skill"), it'll be a situational bind, such as, while mounted.

Just to chip in to say that I was vaguely aware of this, but I hadn't really thought it through - thanks for making me. I use a gaming mouse, and I'd never found a sensible place to bind the mount skills, so they've always been "keyboard only" for me - which doesn't really work (I find myself forever looking at the keyboard at critical moments to decide which button to press).

What I've done now is bind them to the "2" and "3" keys - basically, putting them on the action bar where they ought to be (but without icons) - and on the related buttons in my mouse, where I can get at them without thinking hard. Seems to work well. I've kept the "V"/"C" bindings as alternatives for now, but I really doubt I'll use them.

@Vavume.8065 said:You would think the dirft skill would be on the actual skill bar... I had no idea this skill even existed till I read this thread. Really what are the devs even thinking, there is 4 empty skill slots and they cannot even use one for this? unbelievable.

Every single mount has other skills that are not on the bar...this is nothing new...or are you going to tell us you didn't know that either?

Archived