What makes my blood boil as a helpful Mesmer

Hevoskuuri.3891

Dear fellow Mesmers. I'm about to share a particular, rather annoying, phenomenon I stumble upon alarmingly often, one that you might find very familiar if you like to hang out in the open world. However, if you don't have experienced this, consider yourself very lucky, because you have avoided several serious mental meltdowns and nervous breakdowns. If you are one of those players who are the root and cause of this phenomenon, SHAME ON YOU. SHAME. ON. YOU. Now, with that out of the way, let's get to the point:

It's a beautiful (or dark and gloomy) day in the vast landscapes of Tyria. I am minding my own business, doing world completion, hunting down legendary bandits, etc. just having a good time in general. Suddenly, I stumble upon a vista or a tricky point of interest, and I see a bunch of low-level players repeatedly jumping against walls and buzzing around the vista/PoI hopelessly trying to get to it. When I simply hop onto it with my mount or fly to it with my glider, I start feeling a little sorry for the newbies down below without any of these shiny toys I have at my disposal. And that's when I realize I am carrying a portal utility skill for situations exactly like this.

So, like the gold-hearted, helpful Mesmer I am, I place the portal down to the ground, and jump down to the newbies. I can already imagine pink hearts in their eyesockets, with thank-you messages flooding my chat any second now, and once again, that good-samaritan feel fills me. Oh, how great it is to be a Mesmer. What a wonderful feeling it is, such a small thing for me to pull off, but such a nice and kind experience for the new players. They'll see that the GW2 community is absolutely the best! Shaking my head, I wake up from my daydream. I land right next to the newbies, and TA-DAH, lay the portal down in front of them. You're welcome!

And then it all goes to ****. Every. Single. Time.

After standing there next to your portal exit for a few seconds with a stupid grin on your face, I'll realize that the new players I just tried to help are STILL jumping against walls and STILL buzzing around like nothing happened at all. My portal won't be there for long, so I start to panic, calling out their names, whispering them, telling them to come to the portal. I even furiously jump in front of them, but they simply do not react. Nothing whatsoever. With tears in my eyes, you watch as my perfectly fine portal quietly vanishes unused, with the newbies buzzing around, almost insultingly. I start to feel the rage that builds up in my chest, and I ride off on my mount, silently cursing those newbies to the deepest abyss.

This happens SO often, and makes me so mad every single time. Please share similar stories if you have them, a support group for the victims of oblivious newbies needs to be formed ASAP.

Sincerely yours;-A bitter and dark-hearted, unhelpful and bad samaritan Mesmer

Maybe they just want to do the jumping puzzle (POI, vista or whatever) themselves. When there's a JP daily, i'm usually not the first mesmer there, so i make use of someone elses portal, hang around to portal other people when other mesmer portals are on cooldown, but then i usually do the JP myself just for fun...

If people don't want to enter your portal it's fine. Let them do it themselves.

@"Zoltar MacRoth.7146" said:Don't be disheartened. You're just a sensitive soul who wants to help. It's nothing personal. If you've made a reasonable effort and they don't want to use your portal, it's on them. You're done your part.

Besides the unnecessary assumption of filling in the gap of "they want/need my help", in case they even noticed obviously. I myself wouldn't consider a Mesmer's help because it defeats the whole purpose of beating the 'challenge' (don't like 80 boosts either really).

@Veprovina.4876 said:Maybe they just want to do the jumping puzzle (POI, vista or whatever) themselves. When there's a JP daily, i'm usually not the first mesmer there, so i make use of someone elses portal, hang around to portal other people when other mesmer portals are on cooldown, but then i usually do the JP myself just for fun...

I can totally understand if people want to do the jumping on their own, but in my cases the people have seemed like they just have no clue about me trying to help them out, and I guess they would definitely take the portal if they paid a little attention/knew what it is. It's infuriating, but my original post was more of a cheerful rant than a real issue.

However, if someone wanted to do their own jumping, it would be polite to say so to a person that has taken their time and tried to help you out, instead of ignoring them completely. I was doing a tricky Vista the other day, and someone kindly dropped me a portal. I told them I want to do this on my own, but thanked them politely anyway. It only took a couple of seconds, and both of us happily went on our separate ways. Then again, there's people who are shy and very new to GW2 and don't speak English, and have no idea what I'm doing, in which case I understand just staying quiet, but majority of the players (even new) would probably understand my intentions when I tell them I can portal them up.

Well i don't see many "new" people around so i doubt many don't know what a mesmer portal does so they probably knew what you were trying to do.

But you're right, this is an MMO, like, talk to people, this happened to me too lol, i drop a portal and people just don't say anyhitng...Like, use it or don't i don't care, just say something lol. :tongue:

But other than some "not so chatty" people, i didn't see anyone who doesn't know what a portal does. Those days are long gone. And i was one of those people. When my guildmates (when i was starting out) told me what mesmers could do my mind was blown lol. :smiley:

Well just Today in pof i was whispered ; " hey dude could u do me a Favour"-" sure mate whats going on""Can u port me to the masterypoint please?"( since i pretty new to the game it was the first time i used portal in pve )"On my way bro !"running,setting port,Jumping,opening port"(:""Thank you SO MUCH"

Made me really happy and proud beeing a mesmer(Mirrage)

Btw i disagree ; i often see new players and if they are pve players which never played mesmer they wont even look at ur "purple combo field"Tell em what ur going to do ; it will blow there minds!

Similar experiences. Another fun one is helping underlevels through a dungeon and being told that I am a noob because we're going too slow. If I just did it like they saw on youtube... More often than not the feedback is good though. I get the occasional gushing thank you.

You just have to figure if you hear good 51% of the time, you're winning.

I'd suggest that, since you have ample time in most situations, you warn them before using Exeunt. You can even type the /say and not press enter until you have hopped down to where they are brainlessly bashing their faces into the wall. Ping the skill so it gets translated into whatever language their UI is in, and tell them it will be up in 10 seconds if they want it for the vista/mp/whatever. If they don't want to take it, so be it, but from what I have seen the map awareness of most PvErs is practically non-existent so they need ample warning.

You should ask them if they want your help instead of just assume that they need help and will gladly accept it and praise you as a hero after.

When i was new, i didnt know what that portal was, thought it was just some random skill on the ground and couldnt bother. Sometimes i didnt even noticed that someone had talked to me, i was so focused on what i was doing, learning the game or being amazed about everything so i didnt even think about to look at the chat bar.And i remember it was fun to figure out by myself how to get to a certain vista.

I remember during beta. The portal was automatic, so there were some troll videos of mesmers laying a portal next to the chasm and then under the AFK players dying lol. That was fun.I played mesmer, not that much though. It was my first 80 though back in 2012 and I also played chrono for a couple 100 of hours. But I never had any of your issues. But I usually help the daily JP.

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:Maybe they just want to do the jumping puzzle (POI, vista or whatever) themselves. When there's a JP daily, i'm usually not the first mesmer there, so i make use of someone elses portal, hang around to portal other people when other mesmer portals are on cooldown, but then i usually do the JP myself just for fun...

I can totally understand if people want to do the jumping on their own, but in my cases the people have seemed like they just have no clue about me trying to help them out, and I guess they would definitely take the portal if they paid a little attention/knew what it is. It's infuriating, but my original post was more of a cheerful rant than a real issue.

New players usually don't know what the portal is and how it works. When I was a new player and saw some other player laying this or that effect on the ground I always labled them as "skill posers" and didn't care about their shinies. You're right, they have no clue.

But tbh I made a similar experience a few weeks ago. There was a Mesmer at a JP who insisted to teleport me, after I told him that I'd like to do it on my own and kindly asked where the entrance is, I got no answer. This felt far more toxic than others declining my portal by ignoring it.

It's really not that bad honestly. Yes there are some people that are really rude or awkward, but generally this is one of the best MMO communities out there, everyone is really helpful and actually wants to play together. Maybe not PvP or WvW, but PvE content and community is amazing.

So everything in this thread is exception rather than the rule, but yes, those exceptions are hilariously cringy sometimes. :tongue:

In conclusion, it's an MMO, talk to people and don't assume something, you don't know what's going on behind someone elses keyboard, maybe they're just having a bad day and don't feel like talking.

I miss /say's all the time. When I'm looking for a way up to the x I'm watching the terrain. If someone doesn't respond when I ask them if they want a port up, I figure they didn't notice. or tab'ed out to check for a guide. Sometimes I just drop a portal near them and hop back. if they don't take it, oh well. no biggie.

Until a few weeks ago I always completed all of the JP without any help. With my guardian! I didn't even know that Mesmers could use their Portals for the JP and could help others! I always ignored the skills of others and stupid little me didn't read the chat while doing JP. I was too concentrated and too focused on the task at hand.

When I started to play Mesmer a little bit and realized that Mesmers can help others I felt so stupid. And hopeful! Finally, someone can help me! I am always grateful when I see a portal and I always thank that person. If it's a particular difficult JP that I couldn't finish myself I always make sure to give the Mesmer some gold.

I was so grateful to the person who helped me on the aetherblade JP that I gave that person 5 Gold. That's a lot for me xD

Archived