Dueling in WvW

Turkeyspit.3965

I was solo roaming before work this morning, just trying to quickly bang out some WvW dailies, and right outside my main camp in the borderlands, I saw several enemy players in combat with players from my realm. As a Ranger, I need to attack from the longest distance possible to maximize results, so without hesitating, I started to unload on the first enemy player.

It was only after some quick combat I saw someone typed in /chat "it's a duel".

Now I've come to notice that there is a spot just south of SMC where people duel. Is there like a list of approved dueling spots or something so I don't inadvertently interrupt another 1vs1?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a roamer, if they fight under SM i instantly attack them. If they are in borderlands above camp... it depends on my mood... but once somebody say something like... its duel.... i never leave and fight till death. Only places which i can respect are that hidden ones ... like south of borderlands... near mill ...

Its war world.... from defeated player is score, drop, wxp.... if you really want duel.... go hide yourself... dont make it in middle of map.

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:I was solo roaming before work this morning, just trying to quickly bang out some WvW dailies, and right outside my main camp in the borderlands, I saw several enemy players in combat with players from my realm. As a Ranger, I need to attack from the longest distance possible to maximize results, so without hesitating, I started to unload on the first enemy player.

It was only after some quick combat I saw someone typed in /chat "it's a duel".

Now I've come to notice that there is a spot just south of SMC where people duel. Is there like a list of approved dueling spots or something so I don't inadvertently interrupt another 1vs1?

No 'approved spot' exists anywhere.

On the alpine borderlands, the windmill has always been generally where duelers go. I choose to leave them alone, but by all means, it's not a given.

Like others have said, south of SMC or anywhere in range of the archers is a bad place. Your call on whether to attack them or not.

I think you did the right thing by assuming you were helping, and then chose to back off when your side noted it.

But like others have said, killing them isn't wrong either. I choose to do what you did.

People can attempt to "duel" anywhere. In wvw, feel free to +1 anytime you want, are bored, or you need to reset your participation timer.There are plenty of other places people can duel. Guild halls, custom arenas, and even Obsidian Sanctum. They could pick any of the wvw jump puzzles actually, no one goes there. Sure, if you are really, really bored you could watch, but it is a combat zone meant to kill every enemy you see. And people need to realize no one has to "respect" other players idea of "please don't hit me in a mass pvp mode map cause I just want this one guy to hit me".

The usual duel spots are se smc in the clearing, east smc in the clearing, nw smc in the clearing between bridge hill smc, south sentry alpines.

If I see a 1v1 I usually just let it go to see who wins. If my ally wins on their own they get something for confidence and pride, if they lose I immediately attack the enemy as they got their shot of confidence and pride, time to pay the price.

Now the last time I let a duel go, I decided to res the ally, instead I had the enemy decide to attack and killed me instead and jumped on my corpse with my ally telling me they were disappointed. The rest of the night whenever I saw that enemy I killed them and returned the jumping favor to the point they kept switching classes.

Sometimes you can be respectful and get burned. Sometimes you might just need to jump into that fight and help your ally whether they needed it or not, sometimes better to just kill and get yelled at later then never help that person again, zergs run over roamers all the time, they don't say anything because they'll get 20 stfu back at them.

In any scenario above we're still playing on a giant battlefield, with enemies that most times probably don't respect you or your side so first instinct is to kill, but if you play wvw long enough you know who are the regular duelers for your side then leave them be and move on, if it's someone you don't know kill if you must, but don't pewpew someone just because you need a single bag, that's just sad.

P.S Also don't care if someone jumps in my duel, it's not like it's the only fight you'll ever get. You'll sometimes also end up getting the "oh you had to call in allies huh you kitten" then a block. People like that need to be run over a few times before they get a clue.

Anyone who duels near the common supply or assault routes shouldn't expect to be free to do as they please. It's not a PvP zone, it's a WvW zone and all enemies are fair game. Some duelers (and some spectators) seem to have a problem with that and others get it: they are trying to impose their preferred game mode onto one it wasn't designed for.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:they are trying to impose their preferred game mode onto one it wasn't designed for.

Thats an interesting presumption. Dueling has been part of the WvW scene since WvW's inception and no where has anyone found from anet that it wasnt designated for dueling as well. Stating one way or the other would be a player concept, thus no one can comment 110% fir sure whether it was designed for dueling on top of roaming/blobbing...etc.

Anywho, wanted to put my 2 copper pieces in.

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:they are trying to impose their preferred game mode onto one it wasn't designed for.

Thats an interesting presumption. Dueling has been part of the WvW scene since WvW's inception and no where has anyone found from anet that it wasnt designated for dueling as well. Stating one way or the other would be a player concept, thus no one can comment 110% fir sure whether it was designed for dueling on top of roaming/blobbing...etc.

It's a WvW map, not a dueling map. It's presumptuous to think that it matter when people started dueling: players always invent (or re-invent) things to do, beyond the scope imagined by developers.

I'm not in any way saying people should not duel. I'm saying duelers should not be surprised by interruptions if they keep choosing to fight in trafficked corridors. There are plenty of out-of-the-way locations that aren't on someone's way between objectives.

The best places to duel are in Obsidian Sanctum in the arena (one off he original dueling spots) as well as at the windmill below South camp in Alpine Borderland.

in EB there's the upper left camp behind camp, the area with the kraits and between Durios and OW (which is also popular) as well as on the other side of SM by teh entrance to the Dredge (bottom of the cliff)...these areas (aside from beside SM) are fairly hidden from where the main groups go through

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:The best places to duel are in Obsidian Sanctum in the arena (one off he original dueling spots) as well as at the windmill below South camp in Alpine Borderland.

in EB there's the upper left camp behind camp, the area with the kraits and between Durios and OW (which is also popular) as well as on the other side of SM by teh entrance to the Dredge (bottom of the cliff)...these areas (aside from beside SM) are fairly hidden from where the main groups go through

And in each, you won't kill dolyaks or aggro towers/keeps/camps

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:The best places to duel are in Obsidian Sanctum in the arena (one off he original dueling spots) as well as at the windmill below South camp in Alpine Borderland.

Duelers dont focus on those things, hence why they are great spots..its away from everything

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

It's a WvW map, not a dueling map. It's presumptuous to think that it matter when people started dueling: players always invent (or re-invent) things to do, beyond the scope imagined by developers.

I'm not in any way saying people should not duel. I'm saying duelers should not be surprised by interruptions if they keep choosing to fight in trafficked corridors. There are plenty of out-of-the-way locations that aren't on someone's way between objectives.

Im not arguing whether or not they should be able to duel in WvW (as to each their own. Sometimes I duel and sometimes I focus on caps), im more aiming at the fact people seem fixated that they know for a fact (without being a dev to be able to say 100% for sure) that dueling in WvW was never intended.

Thats all.

All is fair in love and war, as a roamer you can't expect every zerg to respect your desire to roam unscathed therefore as a dueler you can't expect immunity from every other single passerbys or zerg flyovers. We each play our game our way with a certain level of risk involved, some will respect your game and some wont, but if they don't respect your game, you can't force them to.

@intox.6347 said:As a roamer, if they fight under SM i instantly attack them. If they are in borderlands above camp... it depends on my mood... but once somebody say something like... its duel.... i never leave and fight till death. Only places which i can respect are that hidden ones ... like south of borderlands... near mill ...

Its war world.... from defeated player is score, drop, wxp.... if you really want duel.... go hide yourself... dont make it in middle of map.

Not just that - some of these guys won't hesitate to kill you even if you just came to watch lol, so no need to be nice, if it's red it's dead. Just remember that if you choose not to kill them and be nice, they don't always reciprocate. That said, there are nice duelers out there with manners. If they are being sensible and out of the way I don't mind watching either, but the trolly ones must always die :D

PS - don't contest stuff and people won't kill you [mostly]

@Bigpapasmurf.5623 said:

Duelers dont focus on those things, hence why they are great spots..its away from everything

True to a point. However, south of Ruins in alpine, some will kill that come from south camp. They are fair game.

you can attack and kill those duelers,some people transfer servers just to duel their guildmates, friends etc. on a matchupif a player in your team says its a duel, its a warning that if you go further, those dueler participants and/or spectators will attack you (up to your skill if you can kill all of them) and i suggest you dolastly, if you do cuz im bored watching outnumbered roaming 1vx killing video threads posted here on WvW section, try to make something different video by recording yourself killing those duelers and their spectators, now thats the real 1vX ^_^

One time I stopped attacking an enemy because it was a duel. Then the enemy duelist proceeded to take our camp and kill other allied zergling after winning the duel.

Its the same thing in overwatch. An enemy Mercy waved at me and I didn't kill her because of reason. After that, the enemy Mercy went to solo heal Winston who proceeded to kill me.

All is fair in love and war, there's nothing to say you can't duel but there should be even less reason to stop others from attacking the duel. Just do what you want in the playground.

Archived