Thief skills in need of ammo.

Yannir.4132

What I find most out of date about thief are the utility skills. Ammo is a relatively new mechanic that fits with a few of the thief skills. 1 + 1 = Updated thief skills with ammo.I'm sure it's not original and someone already thought about it. Too lazy to check.

Scorpion Wire.My suggestion is 3 charges, 1 second CD, 30 second charge recovery.For the Joink's. Honestly I can see this being a little troll-y but this skill on it's own is so weak, I'd still do it.

Caltrops.2 charges, 2 second CD, 30 second charge recovery.However, in order to do this, it needs a slight nerf to what it applies per cast. The total you gain will rise though.I'd reduce the duration to 6 seconds instead of the current 10.

Tripwire.2 charges, 5 second CD, 30 second charge recovery.Also needs a slight nerf in order to work. The knockdown should be reduced to 2 seconds from the current 3.

Tell me what you think. I'm no thief expert even if I've played it my fair share(my second most played PvP character), and I'm kinda out of touch with the class as much of that playtime isn't recent.

Scorpion wire is probably best at 2 instead of 3 thanks to the synergy it has with the Trickster trait. It'd become strictly better than Distracting Daggers at that point. The only real issue it has in general is the pathing being horribly inaccurate/buggy sometimes. More casts won't really change much of that, sadly.

I think the biggest issue with Caltrops is more the cast time than the effect itself. The animations in the game have gotten so fast that a 1s cast for an area-denial-DoT at PBAoE is just not useful. I see it being a bit problematic with D/P condi as well, since it'd be able to doubly stack the intensity while not breaking stealth.

These aren't outlandish ideas. Just I'm not certain they'll really change anything for the better.

@Yannir.4132 said:Tell me what you think. I'm no thief expert even if I've played it my fair share(my second most played PvP character), and I'm kinda out of touch with the class as much of that playtime isn't recent.

I'm fine with making Caltrops and Scorpion Wire ammo skills, but not Tripwire. Making a 3 second knockdown that's unblockable an ammo skill would make it broken.

Smoke Screen with ammo would be great for an on demand blind field for non-pistol-offhand setups, like */D and Staff.Sadly, with Rifle kneel 4# here, I doubt it would happen.

Other interesting utility skills: Caltrops and Scorpion Wire.

I wouldn't recommend ammo for any other skill tough.

@DeceiverX.8361 said:Scorpion wire is probably best at 2 instead of 3 thanks to the synergy it has with the Trickster trait. It'd become strictly better than Distracting Daggers at that point. The only real issue it has in general is the pathing being horribly inaccurate/buggy sometimes. More casts won't really change much of that, sadly.

I think the biggest issue with Caltrops is more the cast time than the effect itself. The animations in the game have gotten so fast that a 1s cast for an area-denial-DoT at PBAoE is just not useful. I see it being a bit problematic with D/P condi as well, since it'd be able to doubly stack the intensity while not breaking stealth.

These aren't outlandish ideas. Just I'm not certain they'll really change anything for the better.

Atleast you'd have more chances to land Scorpion Wire. And I'm not so sure on it becoming strictly better than Distracting Daggers. I mean, DD would still have a faster recharge rate even untraited and the cd increase on interrupt is pretty major. There's also situations where you don't want to pull your opponent. It can be traited too as well. Although thinking about it now, a Daredevil running both skills would be rather annoying. Still unlikely but it could happen.

I do agree on the largest issue with Caltrops, the casting time makes little sense if we decrease the duration of the resulting field. Currently the effects duration kinda justifies it. I don't see doubling the intensity as an issue though as the skill is inherently not bursty.

@Turk.5460 said:I agree that Scorpion Wire and Caltrops could use the ammo system. I can also see it providing more usage to Ambush and Smoke Screen (reduced duration on smoke screen to 5s?)

Ambush does need help but I'm not sure if Ammo is the solution. It's even a problem in my own Tripwire suggestion that you can't stack traps, a new trap will replace an older one.Smoke Screen I can see this happening for though. Better utility on it would be great as it's one of the few skills on thief with some projectile hate. Currently it's very limited by how negligible it is in the long run. Either very short(3s) with 3 ammo, or medium(5s) with 2 ammo.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@Yannir.4132 said:Tell me what you think. I'm no thief expert even if I've played it my fair share(my second most played PvP character), and I'm kinda out of touch with the class as much of that playtime isn't recent.

I'm fine with making Caltrops and Scorpion Wire ammo skills, but not Tripwire. Making a 3 second knockdown that's unblockable an ammo skill would make it broken.

That's why I suggested making it shorter. ;)I was considering dropping it down to as low as 1 second but I'm still on the fence about it.

Archived