In-depth PvP guide

Noz.4650

[updated 07/04]

Hey guys. I wrote a PvP guide for my mainly WvW guild to help them get better, but if it can benefit anyone here that's cool too. If you're plat 2 or above you probably won't get all that much out of it but you never know. I'm open to the fact that some of the information might not be perfectly accurate as I'm not the best player in the world, but I'll gladly have a discussion.

Link

Great guide man! Although for new player could be a bit much to digest, but overall you touch every subject. What I saw very often in gold-plat 1, and sometimes i did it myself is overextending to far after winning mid fight,going 2-3 people far after winning mid might and leave mid or home empty, a lot of people tend to be greedy when winning mid fight.

@lightningz.1465 said:Great guide man! Although for new player could be a bit much to digest, but overall you touch every subject. What I saw very often in gold-plat 1, and sometimes i did it myself is overextending to far after winning mid fight,going 2-3 people far after winning mid might and leave mid or home empty, a lot of people tend to be greedy when winning mid fight.

Thanks! Yeah it's bit of a wall of text. I tried to follow a logical progression from complete beginner and finish with the advanced. Hopefully I was able to do that (I'm not too good at writing in English).

Great work! I really greatly appreciate your efforts to put things down in some structured format! As a relatively new player, I have waited something like this, a description of the general and also not so general tactics in PvP, about the roles and objectives and such. This guide will open an entirely new sights to PvP for me. Once more, thanks a lot!

EDIT: PvE side smooths the progression many ways, you can take challenges at your own pace. PvP side is for new players like you have been thrown to the deep end of the pool, or in to a dark room to find a flashlight, and you struggle hard to put pieces together. This guide will help me a lot in that :)

@"eksn.7264" said:Hey guys. I wrote a PvP guide for my mainly WvW guild to help them get better, but if it can benefit anyone here that's cool too. If you're plat 2 or above you probably won't get all that much out of it but you never know. I'm open to the fact that some of the information might not be perfectly accurate as I'm not the best player in the world, but I'll gladly have a discussion.

Link

A Quick note : try to avoid confusions about bunker and support . a Support isn't necessarily a bunker. And most bunkers (now) are not support at all. for example Weaver is considered as a bunker but has almost no support ability. So saying as a bunker you need to keep on eye on your teammates and be in Team fight. It was the truth in HOT meta but not anymore since all ppl deals tons of dmg. Bunker are needed on a more duellist aspect (chrono - weaver - maybe warrior before it got nerfed)

The only "bunker" - support is firebrand and only cause of boon spam . And it 's own survavibility got nerfed a bit.

@"eksn.7264" said:Hey guys. I wrote a PvP guide for my mainly WvW guild to help them get better, but if it can benefit anyone here that's cool too. If you're plat 2 or above you probably won't get all that much out of it but you never know. I'm open to the fact that some of the information might not be perfectly accurate as I'm not the best player in the world, but I'll gladly have a discussion.

Link

can you make a guide on how to carry even the most hopeless bunch of drones?...I suspect it's virtually impossible but worth a try asking anyway

Link

I didn't read it all but from what I looked at, you did a great job.

Someone give this man a medal and a sticky. :)

A very elaborate and helpful guide both for new and experienced players. I've been playing for a few years but I can say that just having a read through this guide even helps me clarify a few things that should help my decision making in game. Cheers for that. Quality content.

A couple more terms:

Duelist: A build that excels in 1v1 situations.Overextending: Same thing as Over-rotating. Used more frequently (in my experience).

I'd also change a few:Disengage: Leaving an ongoing fight. People use this term even if someone has already died in the fight.Soft-CC: I'd change this definition to exclude Vulnerability it's a condition but not really a CC in any way since it doesn't control or affect the player's actions.

@"Nath Forge Tempete.1645" said:A Quick note : try to avoid confusions about bunker and support . a Support isn't necessarily a bunker. And most bunkers (now) are not support at all. for example Weaver is considered as a bunker but has almost no support ability. So saying as a bunker you need to keep on eye on your teammates and be in Team fight. It was the truth in HOT meta but not anymore since all ppl deals tons of dmg. Bunker are needed on a more duellist aspect (chrono - weaver - maybe warrior before it got nerfed)

The only "bunker" - support is firebrand and only cause of boon spam . And it 's own survavibility got nerfed a bit.

I knew the roles section would cause debate haha. What you say is technically true to a certain extent but I tried to keep "the general rule" in mind because most specs blur the lines and patches can change the meta dramatically. I'd say the "classical" definition of a bunker is sustaining yourself AND your teammates. Since if you're going to go full sustain, you might as well bring some team sustain otherwise your team dies around you and you're left alone. For support, I can't think of single pure support spec that wasn't also a true bunker. Maybe I should emphasize the "lines can be blurred" part more. Thanks for your feedback!

@Huskyboy.1053 said:A couple more terms:

Duelist: A build that excels in 1v1 situations.Overextending: Same thing as Over-rotating. Used more frequently (in my experience).

I'd also change a few:Disengage: Leaving an ongoing fight. People use this term even if someone has already died in the fight.Soft-CC: I'd change this definition to exclude Vulnerability it's a condition but not really a CC in any way since it doesn't control or affect the player's actions.

I'll add duelist. I disagree that overextending and overrotating are the same thing, although similar for sure. Overextending implies you spread too thin after a teamfight and don't pay attention to respawns. Overrotating is the general term when your team rotates too many players to any given node at any given time. They can both have similar results, but I think the distinction is big enough.

You mean weakness, not vulnerability right? I included it because weakness prevents you from doing your pressure combos (for power builds).

Thanks for the feedback :)

@eksn.7264 said:

@"Nath Forge Tempete.1645" said:A Quick note : try to avoid confusions about bunker and support . a Support isn't necessarily a bunker. And most bunkers (now) are not support at all. for example Weaver is considered as a bunker but has almost no support ability. So saying as a bunker you need to keep on eye on your teammates and be in Team fight. It was the truth in HOT meta but not anymore since all ppl deals tons of dmg. Bunker are needed on a more duellist aspect (chrono - weaver - maybe warrior before it got nerfed)

I knew the roles section would cause debate haha. What you say is technically true to a certain extent but I tried to keep "the general rule" in mind because most specs blur the lines and patches can change the meta dramatically. I'd say the "classical" definition of a bunker is sustaining yourself AND your teammates. Since if you're going to go full sustain, you might as well bring some team sustain otherwise your team dies around you and you're left alone. For support, I can't think of single pure support spec that wasn't also a true bunker. Maybe I should emphasize the "lines can be blurred" part more. Thanks for your feedback!

@Huskyboy.1053 said:A couple more terms:

Duelist:
A build that excels in 1v1 situations.
Overextending:
Same thing as Over-rotating
. Used more frequently (in my experience).

I'd also change a few:Disengage:
Leaving an ongoing fight.
People use this term even if someone has already died in the fight.Soft-CC: I'd change this definition to exclude Vulnerability it's a condition but not really a CC in any way since it doesn't control or affect the player's actions.

I'll add duelist. I disagree that overextending and overrotating are the same thing, although similar for sure. Overextending implies you spread too thin after a teamfight and don't pay attention to respawns. Overrotating is the general term when your team rotates too many players to any given node at any given time. They can both have similar results, but I think the distinction is big enough.

You mean weakness, not vulnerability right? I included it because weakness prevents you from doing your pressure combos (for power builds).

Thanks for the feedback :)

I agree about over-extending. That sounds more like being out of position (going for far when you shouldn't / chasing down a kill and getting out of position / etc).

@"eksn.7264" said:

I know right. At start the only classes able to support was bunkers ... but now it's not really relevant tho . You wouldn't your firebrand to sit on the point (it's more the scourges job) otherwise he would be too easily focused down (imo) Terms and game mechanics have changed since early HOT tho ... I remember all the never dying specs in spvp ... it was horrible. Glad they removed all the tankiest amulets from spvp.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Edit it and leave only the basic truths of conquest that won't ever change through the years. Cleaner and more concise read that way.

I think most of the guide is already about that. It's a wall of text for sure but I tried to summarize each section well enough that you wouldn't need to read everything . It's also an "in-depth" guide for a reason, something like godsofpvp.net is probably better if you're just looking for quick tips.