Winterberry Bush Node, just why?

"Fixed an issue in which the Winterberry Bush Node was incrementing progress for the Daily Berry Acquisition achievement in the Bitterfrost Frontier."

When was this ever an issue for anyone?Why don't you "fix" the Fire Orchid Node then as well? It always counted towards Draconis Mons Daily Fire Orchid Gatherer.

Oh and don't ever let anything count again for Forager, Gatherer, Miner in the specific regions, because this must be a bug then of course and why not making people - who bought partly expensive nodes - unhappy even more?

Either everything counts or nothing.

because the point of the map dailies is to have you go to the maps. you could complete the daily completely with the home instance mote. which doesn't happen with other motes (you get some progress but you don't instantly complete it still forcing you to go to the maps/regions)

Because it was not working as intended if they did not fix any of those the game would be riddle with exploits. This is from some one who unlock the map 2 days prior to fix, going through all episodes before tackling the new one which means you had months of doing your daily easily so enjoy what you got while the rest of us grind from scratch.

I kind of understand why this was "fixed" BUT a much better solution would have been to increase the amount required for the Daily Berry Acquisition from 5 to, say, 8. That way the node would work the same as the Fire Orchids. Your home instance node would still contribute towards completion, but you would still need to visit Bitterfrost Frontier to actually complete the daily.

@"Vallune.8150" said:I kind of understand why this was "fixed" BUT a much better solution would have been to increase the amount required for the Daily Berry Acquisition from 5 to, say, 8. That way the node would work the same as the Fire Orchids. Your home instance node would still contribute towards completion, but you would still need to visit Bitterfrost Frontier to actually complete the daily.

This is an excellent idea and compromise for those two people that thought that fix was needed in the first place.

What we really need in GW2 is consolidation of the "small daily chores" (e.g. Noxius Pod node at the home instance, let us make charged quartz from vault instead of inventory, add "krait keys" to wallet etc.) and not a new step to them.

@Zaklex.6308 said:Perhaps because the daily achievement is listed under Daily Bitterfrost Frontier, and not Daily Home Instance....

Fire Orchids credit their respective daily, the new Kourna Cache credits Kourna Shard Hoarder daily. The only one that SPECIFICALLY states the map you need to be in is Oyster Farmer. This change coming 19 months after the node was introduced just seems like it's a way to entice (or rather coerce) players back into Bitterfrost.

Maybe the zone could be made more enticing again if that's the problem?

@Vallune.8150 said:I kind of understand why this was "fixed" BUT a much better solution would have been to increase the amount required for the Daily Berry Acquisition from 5 to, say, 8. That way the node would work the same as the Fire Orchids. Your home instance node would still contribute towards completion, but you would still need to visit Bitterfrost Frontier to actually complete the daily.

If I worked at ANet, I would have chosen this as the solution.However, I doubt very much if someone considered the impact on us seeing this fixed at such a late date. They had this item as a bug and wanted to get it off their plates.

The likely scenario is typically: the dev or team involved was fixing something else ... and adjusting this at the same time was a cheap addition. If I'm correct, this would make a change unlikely: increasing the requirement means the reward team needs to take a look, too. It also means a text change, which has its own protocol. A "simple" bug fix, in contrast, only needs the bug to be fixed.

tl;dr I like @Vallune.8150's idea; it just wasn't in the cards.

@"Endless Soul.5178" said:"I sure wish my Winterberry Bush would stop completing the Daily Berry Aquisition achievement for Bitterfrost Frontier." - said no one ever.

Wrong. I actually reported it as an exploit. Which it was. And, now that someone mentioned it, so are some of the other nodes.

@"Vallune.8150" said:I kind of understand why this was "fixed" BUT a much better solution would have been to increase the amount required for the Daily Berry Acquisition from 5 to, say, 8. That way the node would work the same as the Fire Orchids. Your home instance node would still contribute towards completion, but you would still need to visit Bitterfrost Frontier to actually complete the daily.

I would prefer if they counted harvesting strikes, in this case you would get credit for one.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@"Endless Soul.5178" said:"I sure wish my Winterberry Bush would stop completing the Daily Berry Aquisition achievement for Bitterfrost Frontier." - said no one ever.

Wrong. I actually reported it as an exploit.Which is why we can't have good things.

Seriously, there was already a major discussion about home nodes when someone protested against doing region daily harvests in home instances. And then Anet saw no problem whatsoever with that.

Then the same happened with guild harvest nodes. And again, Anet was fine with that.

Seriously, if they really considered that to be an exploit, they would have changed all of them. The fact that they changed only one (and that the newly introduced one works the old way) suggests that they themselves don't really have any consistent vision about how it should work, and it gets threated as a bug or feature depending on who reads it.

And if Anet changed all the nodes so that I can't do my daily in my home instance, which is why I have all except the recent one, I would be demanding a refund. I bought them simply for the convenience of doing just that.

Also, I've been reporting the butternut squash nodes in hidden garden for months now. All the nodes give 3, but those. They only give one. I haven't been on for a couple of days, so I'll try checking later.

Edit: no they are still not giving 3 squash per node. I'll report again.

I tested it for future reference, winterberries in BFF count towards Shiverpeaks forager. So, if you purchased the WB node to circumvent a lack of foraging in your home instance you still should be good. The daily berry change is just whatever, I was only wondering if it affected the forging daily and apparently it does not.

The fix was inevitable. We know by now that ANet has a very interesting idea of priorizing issues throughout the game. Some stuff remains untouched for years, while other things are important enough to temporary shut down the servers and fix immediately. For us users, in most cases it looks like absolute random.

What could have happened ...Maybe they have a list of tasks with 0 priority and they have a deadline of ... 20 months until a known bug has to be fixed, the latest. The node was always known and addressed but at every update other things were more important. The issue got postponed again and again. Now they were close to the internal deadline, knowing the next big update would be too late, so they decided to fix it finally. If you have a job and think honestly for a few seconds, you will find at least one task you keep postponing over and over. But one day you have to do it, whether you have time/resources for it or not.

I do not really get why people are so upset. If something is not working properly and gives you an undeserved advantage, you can enjoy the free loot as long as it remains. Once the issue gets fixed, everything returns to normal and noone is unhappy because it was a bug anyway. This silent agreement between the devs and the community worked for years. We had it with the save-spots in dungeons, the maize-balm farm, mastery-exp farm in CoF. I also remember the maguuma-mastery exp farm near Jaka Itzel, COF 1 grinding for hours and Tarir Mulitloot. I could go on and on. All those things were known to be buggy/exploitable by both the players and the developers. Abusing was accepted until it got fixed. So why are people angry now?

Have to agree, didn't realize that the bug was that there was a bug and that its been fixed now that it feels broke. Ok, now I need coffee. Back in a bit.

Who was one first, what was on second, wait....

• 1 month later...

@Gorani.7205 said:

@"Vallune.8150" said:I kind of understand why this was "fixed"
BUT
a much better solution would have been to increase the amount required for the Daily Berry Acquisition from 5 to, say, 8. That way the node would work the same as the Fire Orchids. Your home instance node would still contribute towards completion, but you would still need to visit Bitterfrost Frontier to actually complete the daily.

This is an excellent idea and compromise for those two people that thought that fix was needed in the first place.

What we really need in GW2 is consolidation of the "small daily chores" (e.g. Noxius Pod node at the home instance, let us make charged quartz from vault instead of inventory, add "krait keys" to wallet etc.) and not a new step to them.

No! Its a direct nerf to people who are forced to go the map every day and slog around trying to collect 5 berries for the current requirement. I have 9 maps I hit every day, and don't need my route ruined just to keep your loophole intact.

• ArenaNet Staff

@derd.6413 said:because the point of the map dailies is to have you go to the maps. you could complete the daily completely with the home instance mote. which doesn't happen with other motes (you get some progress but you don't instantly complete it still forcing you to go to the maps/regions)

This answer makes a lot of sense to me.

Archived