In v_643.7 of live beta......

Tinnel.4369

@Tinnel.4369 said:Can we please get a fix for the well documented but thus ignored problems with obstructed and range for rifle?

It is probably a good idea to, at the very least, point to where the problem is documented. Without that, who knows what exactly you are meaning, vs whatever other random problem people are writing about?

I'd also suggest not insulting the people you are trying to convince to do you a favor by changing up their priorities to what you would like, but YMMV.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Tinnel.4369" said:Can we please get a fix for the well documented but thus ignored problems with obstructed and range for rifle?

It is probably a good idea to, at the very least, point to where the problem is documented. Without that, who knows what exactly you are meaning, vs whatever other random problem people are writing about?

I'd also suggest not insulting the people you are trying to convince to do you a favor by changing up their priorities to what you would like, but YMMV.

The problems are obvious to anyone who plays rifle. See here.

@Tinnel.4369 said:Noone was insulted nor asked for a favor.

"well documented but thus ignored problems" seems pretty insulting to me, what with it being your saying the developers are absolutely aware of the (unspecified) issues, and are deliberately choosing not to do anything about them.

"Can we please get a fix" certainly seems like asking them to do something for you, which is, y'know, what could be reasonably termed "a favor."

@Tinnel.4369 said:They know what the problem is.

@"Bezerker.2379" said:The problems are obvious to anyone who plays rifle. See here.

I'm still pretty sure that simply writing down exactly what you think the problem is will be vastly more effective than "they know", or "video showing all sorts of things", but hey, if all y'all want is to complain rather than actually provide useful feedback, please enjoy.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

"well documented but thus ignored problems" seems pretty insulting to me, what with it being your saying the developers are absolutely aware of the (unspecified) issues, and are deliberately choosing not to do anything about them.

"Can we please get a fix" certainly seems like asking them to do something for you, which is, y'know, what could be reasonably termed "a favor."

@"Bezerker.2379" said:The problems are obvious to anyone who plays rifle. See here.

I'm still pretty sure that simply writing down exactly what you think the problem is will be vastly more effective than "they know", or "video showing all sorts of things", but hey, if all y'all want is to complain rather than actually provide useful feedback, please enjoy.

The feedback has been provided. If you're not in the know of the topic, why are you weighing in? We said they know BECAUSE they know, if you can refute this we can talk.

Facts taken as insults aren't really my problem, they're facts. Requesting they fix something not functioning as intended isn't a favor, it's a reminder to do their job.

If all you want to do is waste your breath on what you obviously know nothing about, please enjoy.

@"Justine.6351" said:Eh, nothing new, nothing unique to thieves,

except that happens to everyone on many of the camps. the problem with rifle not hitting targets is real, it happen when there arent anything blocking or you are in range and it happens outside of camps, but hey A for trying

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

Its literally their job to fix these things and anet is known to not fix things in a reasonable time frame or to not fix things at all. If you think thats insulting to say, i recommend you leave the forums.

@Synstylae.2751 said:

except that happens to everyone on many of the camps. the problem with rifle not hitting targets is real, it happen when there arent anything blocking or you are in range and it happens outside of camps, but hey A for trying

For real? It happens to every class with projectiles and can happen pretty much anywhere.

@Justine.6351 said:

@Justine.6351 said:Eh, nothing new, nothing unique to thieves,

For real? It happens to every class with projectiles and can happen pretty much anywhere.

Im sorry, but you lost all credibility when you posted that video. It was a known issue, yet you were not aware of that.

@Tinnel.4369 said:I seem to experience the obstructed much more frequently on my Deadeye than Ranger, but that's anecdotal. However, Rangers hardly have a range issue. Deadeye gets out of range just like obstructed.

Ty for posting something with substance, this thread was lacking.

Longer range projectiles have always suffered obstructed. I remeber when they increased rangers lb projectile speed and lowered it's arc. Caused lots of problems. I cannot imagine how obnoxious 1500 range bullet type projectiles must suck since they have zero arc.

I am at work so cannot test it atm,

Are the deadeye's rifle projectiles true bullet projectiles or are they regular projectiles that can extend with elevation?

The distinction is that regular projectiles will display as out of range on moving targets if that target is outside of that projectiles effective range and is a miss. Bullet projectiles will always display as out of range on any target out of the skills listed range.

Rifle doesn't get the "arc" bow does. Where a ranger can clearly have the red line out of range indicator yet hit their target, deadeye cannot. In fact, you can clearly not have the out of range indicator and get the message. I've had it happen point blank, but more often on running targets for whatever reason. Literally out of range with rifle, swap to sword and hit it.

I've played a lot of LB ranger and have a pretty good "feel" for when I will or won't hit a target range and terrain wise. It doesn't hold for deadeye. Deadeye has to invest a lot to set up their shots and when they're thwarted it's usually a loss cause you're out of resources.

This is a completely separate issue revolving around the corpses of recently deceased Dolyaks. This is not in the same ballpark as Rifle's non-arced obstructions from blades of grass or invisible anthills..

My live beta/lack of testing comment wasn't appreciated and thus moderated, so let me be more clear and less sarcastic.

Because ANet does not use any form of beta or test realm what they do goes immediately live, regardless of its suitability or functionality. I'm quite sure that they themselves have tested it to the best of their ability, but the evidence shows that that is sometimes faulty or incomplete. No release of anything ever goes smooth, but I don't see how the inference that there's better ways to do/test it (based on countless examples across the industry) was offensive. Sarcastic yes, but....

Examples can be seen in both the recent Mirage and Deadeye reworks where there was oversight, a near immediate recognition of oversight, and then some fix somewhat rapidly instituted. In my opinion, both of these fixes were rather haphazard. In the case of the Deadeye it was explicitly stated that the development team had no control over the release of the stealth change and we had to wait 2(?) weeks for that change. Thus, my statement that things get slotted behind other things. Again, the example of my claim is clear.

There are many other examples across the game that aren't the direct focus of this post, but are related and further enforce the point I'm trying to make: sword animations stuck on rangers and mesmers, being able to walk an entire zerg into air keep on desert borderland, etc.

Bottom line: There's an issue with rifle being obstructed and/or out of range when it shouldn't be. No I don't know exactly what it is or how to fix it, but the feedback has been given. Were there a public test realm I would be happy to spend a little time testing it. As there is not, I'm not going to test ANets changes for them beyond telling them there's a problem and let them sort it out just as I would with any other business interaction.

Archived