Any guide or good tips on making a good looking character — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Any guide or good tips on making a good looking character

Trying to make a good looking sylvari but everything i come up with looks hideous :(

Comments

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭

For my Sylvari, I picked the least sharp looking face. There one with petal shaped eyebrows and a vertical indent into the centre of the lips, it’s imo the most feminine of the choices you get. I’ve often noticed that widening the Jaw Width slider makes a lot of faces look better, some look ridiculous narrow as standard.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, so play about with what you do like.

The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

It depends partially on what you mean by good looking. If you want a sylvari that's physically attractive to a human then it's going to be quite difficult because they're designed to look fairly alien. They're modelled on humans but could never pass for one (not that they'd want to). If you just mean one that looks cool and interesting then it's probably just a matter of experimenting.

I recommend picking the 'big' things first - choose a hair style and at least the main skin colour, then pick a face template because the hair styles can change the face shape (not the actual shape, but which parts are visible) and that can make a big difference in the overall effect. Then experiment with sliders and minor colours.

If you pick a face, modify it using the sliders and then can't make it work don't forget to reset the sliders to the middle before choosing a new face - it does affect the previews and it can make them look very different. Also you may need to tweak a few options to get it looking right - for example if the mouth looks wrong try adjusting the jaw and cheeks too as that can make a difference.

Also, specific to sylvari - try not to get carried away with colours. Maybe it's just me who has that problem but I have to consciously limit myself to a main colour and 1 or 2 complimentary ones, otherwise I'm picking different ones for the body, hair, glow, eyes and it ends up looking a mess. (Oh and don't forget to toggle the lighting and pick a glow colour, or turn it off - otherwise they can end up looking totally wrong at night.)

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭

Also, specific to sylvari - try not to get carried away with colours

This is very true, Sylvari can look hideous in certain armor if you picked conflicting “skin tone” and glow colour. I used to use green, with brown undertones and white glow, which looked ok, but she looked like every other Sylvari. So I switched up her appearance to go full greyscale, and she looks really unique now. I’d not seen anyone try greyscaling a character before and glad I tried it!

The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

• Batel.9206Batel.9206 Member ✭✭✭

Try choosing a real-life plant or tree for a reference - an oak tree, an orchid, a rose, etc. - and model your sylvari after that. At the very least, it can give you some inspiration as to what colors/patterns/glow color you like. I once created a lady sylvari that took inspiration from a stargazer lily - her skin is very pale, pattern color is a dark red-pink, glow is honey-colored, eyes are pink-red, and her hair is a brownish-red. Now, granted, I ended up choosing a hairstyle that looks like willow branches or ferns, and a pattern that isn't spotted (as stargazer lilies are), so she doesn't really resemble a stargazer other than the colors, but it was still a nice jumping-off point.

fear not this night
    you will not go astray

• @HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:
    Now minimize the window and do something else for a minute or two. Return to the character-creation and have a look at your piece of art. How does it look to you? Good? Acceptable? Ugly?

This is a great tip! I don't have much experience with character creation (hence the reason I visited this thread), but I know for a fact that, when working on any form of art, if you step away for a few minutes you'll see lots of things you didn't before. One night you'll adore your creation, and the next morning it'll look horrid. I've had the same experience with a few of the characters I've made.

• Turin.6921Turin.6921 Member ✭✭✭

You can use this site yo get some ideas: https://www.gw2style.com/

• There are already a lot of great tips here. Here's another one:
    1. Before you finish your creation screenshot all your sliders and selected options.
    2. Then create the character and run around in the open world for a bit.
    3. Write down anything you don't like (eyes too big, skin too pale, etc).
    4. Delete the character and re-create it with some minor changes.
    5. Repeat from step 1 until you're satisfied.

No skin should be exclusive to gem-store rng boxes.
    What really happened with mount skins

• GW Noob.6038GW Noob.6038 Member ✭✭✭

I've never seen a good-looking Sylvari...they're all pretty hideous - especially the females. If you want a good-looking character I suggest that you delete the Sylvari and create a Norn or a Human.

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2019

@GW Noob.6038 said:
    I've never seen a good-looking Sylvari...they're all pretty hideous - especially the females. If you want a good-looking character I suggest that you delete the Sylvari and create a Norn or a Human.

They want good looking syvary not borring humans.

making syvari is quiet challenging but it grows on you, just stop thinning of them as humans.

Mr. Z, open this gate. Mr. Z... Mr. Z, tear down this wall!

• Elspereth.1280Elspereth.1280 Member ✭✭✭

There are plenty of good-looking Sylvari females out there (and charr, and asura, and...)

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.