Static Discharge roaming build?

whoknocks.4935

Hey everyone, I am a solo roamer and wvw/pvp player.

We all know that holo shines in crazy damage output, the more stats you put on damage the better it is.

I am currently trying a build focused on static discharge trait for solo roaming, very similar to the meta pvp one, but switching hard light arena for riffle turret.

I was using pretty standard stats of gear:-Full marauder armor and weapon with durability runes (a must have for holo).-Full berserker trinkets and backpiece.

Nothing to say, the damage output is crazy high, but one mistake and you die. Experienced people blow me too easily, I have only one stunbreak which is spectrum shield, the other skills are photon wall and rigle turret of course to justify Static Discharge.

I was wondering what stats I can switch to be more survivable without sacrificing too much damage.

I wanna stay with full marauder armor and weapon, but i can switch trinkets and backpiece to whatever I want to.

I don't mind being killed by condi builds, they are the natural counter to holo, especially scourge, even if you run full conversion build, if you don't burst him fast enough you die anyway.My main concern is to survive against those power builds, so I am oriented into stacking more toughness.

I was considering a mix of knights/captain/cavalier stuffs.

I know remaining full zerk trinkets is an high risk high reward build, but it's too unforgiving especially against very good warriors, rangers or oneshot builds in general since you have zero passive traits which carry you for the win.

This is a build idea, with 10% damage reduction food as well.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUnUUB1UhFJD2IDcJjFLDTMZEAGPjdgzz6p/C2BDhA-jFyHQBA4CA8NdAORJoQU6Fu9HGiyg3p+zHfAABAOAO/8Aw5nf+5nfebf+5nf+5nf+5nfepAWdMA-w

If someone else is using static discharge to roam too I would like to see builds posted on gw2skills as well to ahve an idea :dizzy:

Thanks everyone.

Personally I mix Knight, cavalier and berserker for the right mix of defense/offense for me.

For roaming, I advocate rifle/elixir gun for the leap mobility, toolkit for a solid block and then either rifle turret if core, or spectrum shield if holo.

Just make sure you m ah he is best use of your traits.

Here's an example I would use for corehttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlUUhaqYJXwdLw6FLTGkYzKQAAre2D54IqQEA-jFSGABkpDAtHAgUKBBUlAkUuBwFAIJlECquDA-w

Mortar would also work well with it.

For holo, it would look more like:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlUUhaqYJXwdLw6FLTG24IoCEB67gjwToYzoAEAA-jFyHwAe1BMUJh4HAATlgCVupXlAAXAA+q7AA-w

I can rely on holo #2 for swiftness in pvp but it burns to much heat for the distance you cover in WvW

@"Peutrifectus.4830" said:Personally I mix Knight, cavalier and berserker for the right mix of defense/offense for me.

For roaming, I advocate rifle/elixir gun for the leap mobility, toolkit for a solid block and then either rifle turret if core, or spectrum shield if holo.

Just make sure you m ah he is best use of your traits.

Here's an example I would use for corehttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlUUhaqYJXwdLw6FLTGkYzKQAAre2D54IqQEA-jFSGABkpDAtHAgUKBBUlAkUuBwFAIJlECquDA-w

Mortar would also work well with it.

For holo, it would look more like:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUlUUhaqYJXwdLw6FLTG24IoCEB67gjwToYzoAEAA-jFyHwAe1BMUJh4HAATlgCVupXlAAXAA+q7AA-w

I can rely on holo #2 for swiftness in pvp but it burns to much heat for the distance you cover in WvW

Thanks for the feedback :D One problem I see with your builds is the pretty low precision you got.

Your power at 2179 with a 36.48% crit chance is pretty bad for a static discahrge build, I think my build idea is more solid both in damage and defense, you even have lower hp pool than my build. If you don't crit with holo it's a big problem in my opinion, with that build if you encounter perma protection or high toughness builds you get rekt pretty hard. If you play in small groups maybe it works for you.

@whoknocks.4935 said:I don't mind being killed by condi builds, they are the natural counter to holo, especially scourge, even if you run full conversion build, if you don't burst him fast enough you die anyway.My main concern is to survive against those power builds, so I am oriented into stacking more toughness.Scourge is quite beatable with SD holo in most cases. You have much more mobility and basically can kite them as long as you need. Keep them at range with rifle #2 and #4, only melee for a couple of seconds when you are covered by Photon Wall, then dodge out and kite until you're confident you can take some pressure again. Rinse and repeat. They'll have a hard time hitting you if you continue to jump around and frequently get super speed. If you feel like their barrier absorbs too much damage, try to time your damage around it and pay special attention to spectral armor. As long as you don't attack into that their LF will deplete sooner or later. Just be careful not to be too aggressive vs scourge, that's what gets you killed.Imo, power builds that rely on pressure instead of high bursts don't have much advantages over holo, since it got pretty good healing options and has no problem keeping up damage. Vs bursty builds Vitality is also good to get a higher health buffer, and only looses value when you have trouble filling it back up.

@whoknocks.4935 said:This is a build idea, with 10% damage reduction food as well.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUnUUB1UhFJD2IDcJjFLDTMZEAGPjdgzz6p/C2BDhA-jFyHQBA4CA8NdAORJoQU6Fu9HGiyg3p+zHfAABAOAO/8Aw5nf+5nfebf+5nf+5nf+5nfepAWdMA-wYou're using backback regenerator but no kit. Does PF count as one? Lock on is something you can switch to on the fly when encountering a condi mirage, you don't rarely need it vs anything else.

@whoknocks.4935 said:If someone else is using static discharge to roam too I would like to see builds posted on gw2skills as well to ahve an idea :dizzy:

Thanks everyone.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFAUnUUBFJj1UBubB0ehlJDbcEUBiP9dwR4JU8ZUACAA-jVzHAB1egAU+BAE++D6pyDQKD6RphQKhYSJIAXQg20Q8u6A+oE5bdABAQAu5NDAH9oH9oH9odddmOTn78mJFwqDtA-wThat's what I use since PoF release. It's a bit more damage-oriented.

I prefer EGun over spectrum shield because you can get a really nice immob with kit refinement, it provides additional damage and mobility and a condi clear. The stun break CD is also quite low and not dependant on heat.Mortar is better for attrition fights and again kiting. Combo with it as you need. Prime Light Beam is hit or miss, in the current meta I feel like it's too easily wasted and another tool for high damage is the last thing the build needs, imo.

I used this to optimize the stats. Some videos of it in action here. They're all a bit older and I might play a bit better now, but the playstyle hasn't changed much.

@Silinsar.6298 said:

@whoknocks.4935 said:I don't mind being killed by condi builds, they are the natural counter to holo, especially scourge, even if you run full conversion build, if you don't burst him fast enough you die anyway.My main concern is to survive against those power builds, so I am oriented into stacking more toughness.Scourge is quite beatable with SD holo in most cases. You have much more mobility and basically can kite them as long as you need. Keep them at range with rifle #2 and #4, only melee for a couple of seconds when you are covered by Photon Wall, then dodge out and kite until you're confident you can take some pressure again. Rinse and repeat. They'll have a hard time hitting you if you continue to jump around and frequently get super speed. If you feel like their barrier absorbs too much damage, try to time your damage around it and pay special attention to spectral armor. As long as you don't attack into that their LF will deplete sooner or later. Just be careful not to be too aggressive vs scourge, that's what gets you killed.Imo, power builds that rely on pressure instead of high bursts don't have much advantages over holo, since it got pretty good healing options and has no problem keeping up damage. Vs bursty builds Vitality is also good to get a higher health buffer, and only looses value when you have trouble filling it back up.

@whoknocks.4935 said:This is a build idea, with 10% damage reduction food as well.
You're using backback regenerator but no kit. Does PF count as one? Lock on is something you can switch to on the fly when encountering a condi mirage, you don't rarely need it vs anything else.

@whoknocks.4935 said:If someone else is using static discharge to roam too I would like to see builds posted on gw2skills as well to ahve an idea :dizzy:

Thanks everyone.
That's what I use since PoF release. It's a bit more damage-oriented.

I prefer EGun over spectrum shield because you can get a really nice immob with kit refinement, it provides additional damage and mobility and a condi clear. The stun break CD is also quite low and not dependant on heat.Mortar is better for attrition fights and again kiting. Combo with it as you need. Prime Light Beam is hit or miss, in the current meta I feel like it's too easily wasted and another tool for high damage is the last thing the build needs, imo.

I used
to optimize the stats. Some videos of it in action
. They're all a bit older and I might play a bit better now, but the playstyle hasn't changed much.

Thanks a lot :dizzy:

I am tempted to try elixir gun as well but in this current meta i dont know if it works since you are busted down very fast and the time you click elixir gun and cast one of his skills the enemy can keep up the pressure on you so much. Spectrum shield saved me many time against other holos or warriors, i dont know if egun would do the same.

The main aspect about static discharge is being an high risk high reward build you have to choose the fights you wanna take. You dont have to overextend and first thing first never allow someone to ambush you or get you off guard; you have zero passive traits and zero passive stunbreaks to save your a** like warrior has and he is carried by those so much. If you are stun chained by someone you just die miserably, that's why it's better being always one step ahead the enemy and precast photon wall to avoid attacks, try to keep corona burst off cd always hitting the enemy and use the only stun break we got for emergency purposes.

I would like to know what is a good ARMOR value to achieve with toughness. 2500 armor is good enough? Or I have to aim for something closer to 3000? Is there a big difference between 2500 and 3000 armor values?

@whoknocks.4935 said:I am tempted to try elixir gun as well but in this current meta i dont know if it works since you are busted down very fast and the time you click elixir gun and cast one of his skills the enemy can keep up the pressure on you so much. Spectrum shield saved me many time against other holos or warriors, i dont know if egun would do the same.

It wouldn't exactly do the same, it's a different skill that offers different capabilities. For situations where you want to hold your ground, or continue to get hit after breaking a stun, or just using it to tank damage because you know you're in a matchup where CCs don't kill you, Spectrum shield is better. I find however, that in roaming mobility is often times more valuable and I tend to dodge and gtfo or CC to prevent further pressure. Or I use the stun break offensively to cancel the OS knockback and have more time for bursting. In these situations I wouldn't get much value out of Spectrum Shield. Basically, depending on the matchup and your playstyle one skill or the other is better. But I always find EGun better for dealing with multiple opponents and rarely have problems with single ones, so EGun all the way (for me, personally).

@whoknocks.4935 said:I would like to know what is a good ARMOR value to achieve with toughness. 2500 armor is good enough? Or I have to aim for something closer to 3000? Is there a big difference between 2500 and 3000 armor values?

Comparing your stat selection with mine my build receives 18,88% more direct damage, but does 19,72% more. Damage done in GW2 is damage divided by armor, so the factor of damage received (compared to that of a different armor value) is the reciprocal of armor proportion. So damageFactor = 1/(otherArmor/referenceArmor). Or just referenceArmor/otherArmor. But keep in mind that additional damage reductions (like food, protection, iron blooded) stack multiplicatively, so basically they loose effectiveness in the total damage they reduce when you stack more armor. E.g. a build that'd take 900 damage due to it's low armor receives ~300 less damage due to protection, a build that stacked so much armor that'd take only 600 damage from the same attack only gets ~200 less damage. Your build has a lot of these (protection, food, IB and spectrum shield), so the benefit from armor in practise might no be that high.

How much armor is enough for you you'll have to find out by yourself. There are fights for which you need more armor, and there're ones where you need the damage. In the end it will be a compromise.

Archived