Mesmer or thief?

Yeldo.4576

@Yeldo.4576 said:But I hear it will be nerfed soon as it is too strong?

There is a good chance. If you intend on playing the flavor of the month class, whatever is most overpowered right now, then you will have to accept the fact that it regularly changes, and you will have to keep chasing it.

Ultimately, it is very rare -- despite protestations on the forums otherwise -- for a class to become unviable ... except for the people who don't know it real well, and get kind of carried by the high DPS.

You'll have more fun leveling up a mesmer.You'll be more popular for current group content with a mesmer.

The thief is far from being bad and correctly played it even rock, however it's usefullness lie more in the vanilla end game content (dungeons) and lone aspect of the PvP/WvW content. The mesmer on another hand is a pretty popular profession in all aspect of the game since HoT and with the recent changes on it's mechanic he even gain more usefullness. As for the fun aspect, it really depend on the player, personnally, I prefer mesmer because he give you the feeling that you toy with your enemies while thief give you more the feeling of being a "predator".

@"saloja.7920" said:I'm sticking to the "team play" term you used and would like to point out that the thief has none. It's called a selfish class for a reason.

That is not totally true, a thief have plently of combo blast, can provide stealth (which is invaluable in some part of the game) and can share it's poison (more particularly basilik venom for a quick breakbar burn). There is also a good amount of soft conditions and Deadeyes can also add quite a few boons on top of that. What's true is that it's value is not optimal in group setting whereas mesmer is optimal most of the time.

@Yeldo.4576 said:But I hear it will be nerfed soon as it is too strong?

Anything can be nerfed for being too strong, including thief (of which some Deadeye folks feel was recently nerfed). If you're worried about nerfs then stick to Warrior. Otherwise, just make one of each and use PvP to test out which appeals to you more.

Archived