Holosmith is pointlessly wimpy in PvP

Vagrant.7206

Been playing it in PvP for a little while now, trying it out. Running with marauders, the damage is alright, but my god this thing dies quick. Also running alchemy, inventions, and holo. I won't say I'm a master of buildcraft by any extent, but I generally know what I'm doing. If I run paladin, the damage is too weak to turn a fight.

I've seen it get wrecked by necros, guardians, GS/Axe Warriors, and D/P thieves. It doesn't do enough to bunkers to merit special consideration against your typical burst classes. And if you get focused, you're basically complete toast.

What is even the point of this? This is a joke.

Oh, and before you accuse me of being a noob... my ranking is 1600 at time of writing.

I don't agree. I think tat for higher level perhaps scrapper is better, ok , but holosmith is not bad in spvp. I tried Caith rifle build with Holosmith, you find it in his stream and it is really fun to play. I also love the idea of being "range" and "jump" in the fight with holosmith only when needed. Perhaps for higher level you miss a block but i found his build effective. What i think is not really usable in spvp is sword for me but it is a personal opinion, even if i liked sword really much in pve i find weak to go sword shield in spvp . .

@displacedTitan.6897 said:Why put in the effort to manage an extra mechanic to only be alright in pvp? Just hop on scourge and melt people with zero effort. ANet really screwed the numbers up on Holo.

So do you think Holo should be effortless or are you just butthurt about Scourge but need to bitch about Holo instead?

@Rhomulos.2089 said:

@displacedTitan.6897 said:Why put in the effort to manage an extra mechanic to only be alright in pvp? Just hop on scourge and melt people with zero effort. ANet really screwed the numbers up on Holo.

So do you think Holo should be effortless or are you just kitten about Scourge but need to kitten about Holo instead?

His point is that the risk/reward ratios are all screwed up for the holosmith and scourge in pvp. Scourge probably has the highest reward to risk ratio right now, it's only vulnerability still being thief as usual. I'm finding that most classes beat holosmith, except for the usual suspects like thief.

I just end up going back to some variation Scrapper.

The lack of combos, Sword being garbage, channel time on skills, other classes having so much projectile and melee range prevention (ex. Scourge) isn't always worth being a glass cannon majority of the time. Plus, being a supportive resbot is still needed.

There is a place for it...like you pretty much have to roam together at all times and not be alone in any fight...but when you can't do that? Scrapper is where it's at.

@Razor.6392 said:God forbid you're fragile if you want to spec for damage for once lol.

It's not even that much damage. I get highest damage on my team consistently with scrapper. That is not the case for holosmith. Burst damage on scrapper is still better too -- maybe not instantaneous burst damage, but over 30 seconds I can definitely put out more damage pressure on my scrapper.

Not to mention... have you looked at condi thief, DH, or GS / A/S warrior? They have a TON of survivability, and do a TON of damage when played well.

Archived