Melding with your pet shouldn't revive it

Nuka Cola.8520

You should still get the bonus stats when melding with a dead pet, but it shouldn't be revived. Back when swapping pets (on a 20sec CD timer) revived your pet, anet removed the revival of your pet on pet swap because it was OP. Now you get a pet revival on an 8sec CD. Broken enough or wut?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone be honest with me, and please I'm really not being sarcastic when I say this even though I know it's going to sound like it. Are pets currently in a state where any of them could be considered op?

I understood how hounds or cats were good back in the day for the applications/damage they would apply to benefit the ranger, but those conditions are all but negligible in the current state of the game in my opinion. So which pet/s are genuinely considered op right now.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:You should still get the bonus stats when melding with a dead pet, but it shouldn't be revived. Back when swapping pets (on a 20sec CD timer) revived your pet, anet removed the revival of your pet on pet swap because it was OP. Now you get a pet revival on an 8sec CD. Broken enough or wut?

I'm going to call you out on that. Swapping pets has always revived the one you swap from. The penalty for swapping late or keeping it out of danger is a full 60 sec CD instead of the 20 sec default.Is merge revive broken? Mmmm, no? Not compared to some of the other specs. The pets are weak enough that I don't see the semi-instant revive to be a problem anywhere.

@Xenash.1245 said:Can someone be honest with me, and please I'm really not being sarcastic when I say this even though I know it's going to sound like it. Are pets currently in a state where any of them could be considered op?

After the nerf to Iboga, I wouldn't consider any of the pets as op. Each has its own utility uses but are generally low on the damage side (for various reasons). They are a tool to be combined with the rest of your kit for full effectiveness.

@Chrury.4627 said:

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:You should still get the bonus stats when melding with a dead pet, but it shouldn't be revived. Back when swapping pets (on a 20sec CD timer) revived your pet, anet removed the revival of your pet on pet swap because it was OP. Now you get a pet revival on an 8sec CD. Broken enough or wut?

I'm going to call you out on that. Swapping pets has always revived the one you swap from. The penalty for swapping late or keeping it out of danger is a full 60 sec CD instead of the 20 sec default.Is merge revive broken? Mmmm, no? Not compared to some of the other specs. The pets are weak enough that I don't see the semi-instant revive to be a problem anywhere.

@Xenash.1245 said:Can someone be honest with me, and please I'm really not being sarcastic when I say this even though I know it's going to sound like it. Are pets currently in a state where any of them could be considered op?

After the nerf to Iboga, I wouldn't consider any of the pets as op. Each has its own utility uses but are generally low on the damage side (for various reasons). They are a tool to be combined with the rest of your kit for full effectiveness.

No, i'm well aware of the spet revival on swap, but you get the 60sec CD. That's what i was referring to when saying that they're not being resed. Back in 2012-2013, you could pet swap a dead pet and not get the 60sec CD on pet swap. Same should apply on Soulbeast, there's not a single reason why it shouldn't.

If that's not a problem (8sec cd lol come on now) on Soulbeast, then why does the core ranger and druid get a 60sec? Your pet revival is EIGHT times faster than the other two ranger spec, and that's fine? Like i understand you don't want this to be nerfed, but that's how it should be, equal to the other two ranger specs. Nothing when running Soulbeast says that your pet res should be on a 8sec CD.

I understood how hounds or cats were good back in the day for the applications/damage they would apply to benefit the ranger, but those conditions are all but negligible in the current state of the game in my opinion. So which pet/s are genuinely considered op right now.

There's only 1 useful pet, the smokescale. The random KD on an extremely low CD (compared to all other pets knockdowns) and the F2 stealth utility which is obviously very good.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

There's only 1 useful pet, the smokescale. The random KD on an extremely low CD (compared to all other pets knockdowns) and the F2 stealth utility which is obviously very good.

Yeah Snokescale is good. About 2% of all available terrestrial pets.Its probably annoying but its not OP.Mesmer is OP because nearly no counter exists but smokescale isnt.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

@"Xenash.1245" said:Can someone be honest with me, and please I'm really not being sarcastic when I say this even though I know it's going to sound like it. Are pets currently in a state where any of them could be considered op?

Yeah Snokescale is good. About 2% of all available terrestrial pets.Its probably annoying but its not OP.Mesmer is OP because nearly no counter exists but smokescale isnt.

No one is saying mes is not OP. That's not the conversation here. And absolutely not saying that Smokescale is "OP". But, if you have a peek at every other pet CC, the smokescale knockdown, for some reason, is on a much lower CD than the rest. What's OP is being able to revive your pet on a 8sec CD when playing Soulbeast.

Here's the thing... Yeah, melding gives you an 8 second cooldown on reviving the pet, whereas core Ranger and Druid have 60-second cooldowns.But look at it as if you're affected by Vampiric Presence or something. If you've got one triggering every 8 seconds versus one every 60 seconds, is it really that big a deal either way?What I'm basically saying is, of those two cooldowns, it's not the 8-second one that's the problem.

Please fix mirage before touching any other classes, said this in PvP forums as well. What any other class has right now is irrelevant until that class is fixed, and yes, that is even more than condi thief which is arguably the 2nd broken class next to s/d power thief. It is the most broken thing ATM , far more broken than the issue listed in this forum thread.

Then we can look at adjusting all of the other classes.

devs call it a soulbeast for a reason... if we meld with pet, pet gets bonded to us and gets revived... as simple as that... and if we leave soulbeast mode after merging with it, we get a longer cooldown for the next meld...

and if u still consider that op, sometimes our pet gets interrupted by mesmers and their swap cooldowns and skill cooldows are totally screwed up and takes too much time for the next usage

and mesmers should be limited to maximum 2 total clones at best... coz ur discussion revolves around the point where soulbeasts can have another companion to fight alongside them quickly... imagine other classes including soulbeast's frustration trying to kill each and every one of those clones to figure out the real one... sometimes its totally hard to find out the realone if the realone acts like a clone...(not running away, notstanding behind another clone or not far away)

In a way i'm glad you can res pet with beastmode, because of how easily your pet can be deleted in current meta.High power dmg is bad, but worst is the condies especially from scrouge and mirage. Pet doesn't care if it has confusion, it'll keep attacking. Only way to keep it from taking dmg is to recall it. Pet doesn't care if it has torment, it'll keep chasing u. Even if you recall it you can't stop it from taking increased dmg because of how the pet paths to stay next to you.

Pet can't evade, selfheal or avoid AOEs. It does nothing to protect itself outside of using it's defensive skills off CD, if it has any (usually ending up wasting them). This means if you fuck up pet swap to cleanse CD, or it's already on CD you're fucled, pet dies, half your traits and skills rendered useless.

Mesmers can keep summoning clones, necro can keep gathering lifeforce, ele can attunement swap, thief can steal/initiative, engi can toolkit, guardian can virtues, warrior can burst and revenants can swap legends anytime it's associated skills are off cooldown, but ranger can't use the pet (or pet traits/skills like sigil of renewal) if it's dead.

@ChartFish.1308 said:In a way i'm glad you can res pet with beastmode, because of how easily your pet can be deleted in current meta.High power dmg is bad, but worst is the condies especially from scrouge and mirage. Pet doesn't care if it has confusion, it'll keep attacking. Only way to keep it from taking dmg is to recall it. Pet doesn't care if it has torment, it'll keep chasing u. Even if you recall it you can't stop it from taking increased dmg because of how the pet paths to stay next to you.

Pet can't evade, selfheal or avoid AOEs. It does nothing to protect itself outside of using it's defensive skills off CD, if it has any (usually ending up wasting them). This means if you kitten up pet swap to cleanse CD, or it's already on CD you're fucled, pet dies, half your traits and skills rendered useless.

Mesmers can keep summoning clones, necro can keep gathering lifeforce, ele can attunement swap, thief can steal/initiative, engi can toolkit, guardian can virtues, warrior can burst and revenants can swap legends anytime it's associated skills are off cooldown, but ranger can't use the pet (or pet traits/skills like sigil of renewal) if it's dead.

100% THIS.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

@"Xenash.1245" said:Can someone be honest with me, and please I'm really not being sarcastic when I say this even though I know it's going to sound like it. Are pets currently in a state where any of them could be considered op?

No one is saying mes is not OP. That's not the conversation here. And absolutely not saying that Smokescale is "OP". But, if you have a peek at every other pet CC, the smokescale knockdown, for some reason, is on a much lower CD than the rest. What's OP is being able to revive your pet on a 8sec CD when playing Soulbeast.

First and foremost its 10s.Second of all: Pets are utterly underpowered and the pet revive gives them atleast somewhat of utility because you can reinstate them fast but sacrifice your Beastmode CD.On vanilla ranger or druid you have a 60s CD if the pet dies. Pets don't care what conditions they have or what boons you have, they move with torment, cast with confusion on and hit you when you have retal up.An active revive is totally fine you sacrifice burst or dmg for that because you sacrifice time on your beastmode.Ranger gets punished harder for bad play, it is already pubishing that you cant use the F2 on your pet when it is downed but it also does no dmg AND on top of that you get a hefty CD on a petswap you have to do except if you want to lose dmg.Its like having 300% longer weaponswap CD if all your skills are on CD before swapping.

Personally i dont like the fact that it is exclusive to Sbeast instead of core ranger.Could be easily tied into healing skills.If your pet is down it will teleport to you when xou use a heal skill and will be heal for the corresponding amount and revived.This would "sacrifice" the healing skill to regain the pets skills but would give base ranger atleast the abbility to revive his compenion.Abd ofc remove the 60s penalty its just an outdated mechanic.

Noob ranger here, so my opinion may not matter much but o be honestly I don't see the problem with SB being able to do this. In general the pet going on higher CD when it dies is kind of irrelevant in the current climate anyways. If there was no CD increase it wouldn't really have a big impact. Would being able to swap your pet every 20 seconds no matter what be able to save you from memser/theif one shot? Scourge/Mesmer condi bomb? Will it help you take down a spellbreaker or FB? Not reeally, and if you're managing your pet well it shouldn't die in the first place. All this does is make it a little less painful to manage your dumb AI pet.

EDIT:A noob ranger observation; Wouldn't our pet dying be similar to engi losing some of their essential toolbelt skills for 60s or guardian losing their virtues? The only big difference being our pet can deal some moderate passive damage. It seems like a big hit for something we don't have precise control over.

Okay I thought about it, and I guess I could maybe understand the need for this to be changed -if- there was a more broad range of pets that the ranger could use instead of just the Smokescale and I guess to a lesser degree the Siamoth. Once the ranger gets the versatility/power that other classes get with their class mechanic I could get behind the increased cooldown.

Just be aware that the increase in power has to be rather significant if you want the classes mechanic to be shut down for such a long time.

Archived