Current state of the GW2 API (July 2, 2018)

MikeLewis.7496

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi all,

As many of you have recently noticed, something has gone a bit wrong with the GW2 API system over the past weekend. We had a server fail which was responsible for tracking what sorts of content should be visible via the API. This server watches the game and every time someone picks up an item, unlocks an achievement, plays an event, and so on, it records the ID number of the content and adds it to a whitelist. The whitelist in turn controls what data we show via the API.

The reason for this mechanism is to avoid spoiling content that has not been found by players naturally. The whitelist allows us to safely show data on things players have found in the game, but keep a few things under wraps if they haven't been experienced by anyone yet. Essentially it keeps the API from leaking spoilers for new content.

I mentioned above that the server responsible for this whitelist had a failure. The bottom line is that the whitelist was effectively reset, and every discoverable piece of content in the game has to be re-experienced in order to add it back to the whitelist. Much of the game's data is already visible again, but a chunk of it will be hidden until players come across it in-game one more time.

We are of course trying to restore the whitelist data from backups and other measures. I wanted to share our current status in case those other measures don't pan out.

We're also tracking a number of other issues with the API, including map data availability, intermittent failures of different sorts, and various endpoints being inoperable. These issues are unrelated to this weekend's failure and will be addressed separately.

Thanks,

@"MikeLewis.7496" said:Hi all,

As many of you have recently noticed, something has gone a bit wrong with the GW2 API system over the past weekend. We had a server fail which was responsible for tracking what sorts of content should be visible via the API. This server watches the game and every time someone picks up an item, unlocks an achievement, plays an event, and so on, it records the ID number of the content and adds it to a whitelist. The whitelist in turn controls what data we show via the API.

The reason for this mechanism is to avoid spoiling content that has not been found by players naturally. The whitelist allows us to safely show data on things players have found in the game, but keep a few things under wraps if they haven't been experienced by anyone yet. Essentially it keeps the API from leaking spoilers for new content.

I mentioned above that the server responsible for this whitelist had a failure. The bottom line is that the whitelist was effectively reset, and every discoverable piece of content in the game has to be re-experienced in order to add it back to the whitelist. Much of the game's data is already visible again, but a chunk of it will be hidden until players come across it in-game one more time.

We are of course trying to restore the whitelist data from backups and other measures. I wanted to share our current status in case those other measures don't pan out.

We're also tracking a number of other issues with the API, including map data availability, intermittent failures of different sorts, and various endpoints being inoperable. These issues are unrelated to this weekend's failure and will be addressed separately.

Thanks,

None of the Living World Season 4 maps have ever had map tiles, and they have been discovered by 1000's of players. Nor has the world map ever been expanded to show these areas. The bottom of this image is the current cut off for the API, and it hasn't been updated since the end PoF release.

gnrH8ug.png

Is it supposed to be stable now?More often then not it works but I still get connection resets, 404 not founds etc from time to time -_-

@Elrey.5472 said:Oh dear. Thanks god I downloaded the entire Items database 1 month ago for local use xD.

I hope you get it fixed.Is there a chance you can upload it somewhere? Not having stable access to items sucks =(

@Jink.6571 said:Is it supposed to be stable now?More often then not it works but I still get connection resets, 404 not founds etc from time to time -_-

@Elrey.5472 said:Oh dear. Thanks god I downloaded the entire Items database 1 month ago for local use xD.

I hope you get it fixed.Is there a chance you can upload it somewhere? Not having stable access to items sucks =(

Most API sites are running off a local db, you can probably find an export list from one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a threshold number of players who have to "pick up" an item before it becomes whitelisted? I've got items on my own characters that I've unequipped/looked at/re-equipped in game, but still get invalid IDs returned from the API in the items endpoint. Is there some other mechanism of getting my own stuff whitelisted?

@DarkMagister.7429 said:I wonder. am I right that it was your forceful rollback to backup that fixed Buy/Sell APIs? I've waited for more than half a year for the fix and now they work fine.If this is the case - well, bad job.

From the dev's post on the topic:

We had a server fail which was responsible for tracking what sorts of content should be visible via the API.

@"Khayman Alisti.3260" said:Is there a threshold number of players who have to "pick up" an item before it becomes whitelisted? I've got items on my own characters that I've unequipped/looked at/re-equipped in game, but still get invalid IDs returned from the API in the items endpoint. Is there some other mechanism of getting my own stuff whitelisted?

I've done the same. So perhaps the WhiteListing functions are stalled or it happens less quickly than we think. I know some of the devs were in favor of keeping e.g. mystic forge recipes hidden for long enough that early discoverers would get a chance to profit (not a policy with which I agree, but perhaps it affected how quickly things white list automatically).

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:From the dev's post on the topic:

We had a server fail which was responsible for tracking what sorts of content should be visible via the API.What I have written about is Current Buys/Sells have not been working
since winter
and anet didn't really care.Now their server crashed, they have rolled back to some backup and those endpioints work again.I have a feeling nowone even looked into that problem for all this time, despite al the forum requests and the rollback just ocasionally fixed it.

Archived