Do The Kournans Deserve To Be Saved?

I am not sure.

I was just asked to burn their crops for them while they stood around a fire (filled with burning torches) doing nothing. Now I am not trying to say that the commander is kind of a big deal or anything, but being asked to perform menial tasks because the locals won't do anything for themselves when there is a war to fight seems like a pretty solid indication that it might be time for this civilization to completely fade. from the world stage.

You clearly weren't paying attention then. During that mission one of the pact soldiers is trying to tell the farmers that their crops are infested with Scarab Plague larvae. The farmers don't care and won't burn the crops because that is the only food they have because Joko takes so much. In the end the commander burns the crops while the soldier keeps the farmers from rioting.

@Ashen.2907 said:No indication of attempts or inclination to riot when I was there. They just stood around a pile of torches. Plus there is a source and supply of foodstuffs, apparently not infested, on site.

If you get a chance to replay it, i believe there is ambient dialogue indicating them being on the verge of rioting

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:There's also the risk that while burning some crops they could be infected with the plague at the same time.

This is the more important part. The Commander is the only one there at the time who can do anything about it, either because he's not human, or because he died once.

And the MOST important part: being not-dead-any-more makes a human Commander immune to the plague.

! Queen Dahlah: Which you yourself can lead! Oh yes, Commander, we can smell the stench of the Lost on you.! Queen Dahlah: Mmm, musky. The scarabs will smell it too. You're an unbefitting host. Lucky for you.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:I thought it was bizarre running around there with an ascended weapon killing rats. Talk about something feeling beneath it!

Dude, that was an obvious joke! The final rat is actually called Tenrat! Ten Rat, as in Kill 10 rats, the generic quest that every MMORPG started you on back in the day!

Cant honestly say that Ive ever seen a kill ten rats quest.

Apparently the kournan situation isnt too dire if its a source of comedy.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:I thought it was bizarre running around there with an ascended weapon killing rats. Talk about something feeling beneath it!

Dude, that was an obvious joke! The final rat is actually called Tenrat! Ten Rat, as in Kill 10 rats, the generic quest that every MMORPG started you on back in the day!

Cant honestly say that Ive ever seen a kill ten rats quest.

Apparently the kournan situation isnt too dire if its a source of comedy.

This is a classic RPG trope, so much so that it's only worth being a source of comedy. But the comedy is for us, not them.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:No indication of attempts or inclination to riot when I was there.

Because we convinced them this was the right thing to do in the previously mentioned dialogue?

The person I responded to in the post you quoted indicated that the commander had to burn the crops while the soldier kept the riot prone villagers at bay. If the commander, as you state, had convinced them to not riot because this was the right thing to do, then the soldier (just the one scout if I recall correctly) would not be needed to watch the villagers who could toss a few torches from the campfire area adjacent to the crops.

@Raizel.8175 said:Do refugees deserve to be saved?

The question itself is already sad...The people are living in their own village. Those crops have been tended by them since generations. The kournans are not refugees, but are under an informal quarantine by the Sunspear. They are not allowed to enter the infested fields.While their crops are just sitting there, the food has run out, so they have to rely on anything they can get their hands on, while the Joko loyalists actively worked on spreading the plague ahem, pestilence.This was the really sad part. They were commanded by their supposed god king to unleash a deadly disease on their fellow villagers.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

That's OK. I was doing it not just with a mere ascended weapon, but with Caladbolg Orchida and Ydalir. When my Firebrand gets there, she'll probably torch a few with Rodgort.

With Rodgort you need to make sure you only burninate the crops and not the countryside.

Archived