Event Requirement for POI Access — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Event Requirement for POI Access

sprhavkdogi.9408sprhavkdogi.9408 Member ✭✭

While I have enjoyed exploring the recent maps, I've noticed a rather annoying trend. One poi in each map is getting locked behind events completely preventing people from getting map completion on their own if they happen to be around when that event is not up. Examples include Warden's Quarters in Istan requiring the Great Hall meta, Specimen Chamber in Sandswept requiring its eponymous meta event, and now Research Vault Beta in Kourna requiring a random event from halfway across the map (I'd include the awakened inquest plague research facility too, but that can be reached by either using sandswept's mastery and a jackal or just a griffon) .

I do not believe "waiting for the event" is an engaging way to explore a map; furthermore, I'd guess it also isn't an enjoyable experience for someone that has no idea how to reach the poi so they spend a not so insignificant amount of time running around everywhere trying to pick it up before having to look abroad or pray someone else on the map will tell them what to do. Having said that, my question is: what is the reasoning behind this and would it be possible to curb it? (i.e. give exploration credit when reaching the front door). Nothing else has derailed map completion more for me.

Comments

• Omyrah.7389Omyrah.7389 Member ✭✭

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Nothing is more annoying for me than having that sense of completion delayed, and I really wish we had an explanation from the devs as to why they chose this route. I understand wanting people to linger around the maps and do more content, however, blocking people from completing the map for events shouldn't be the way to do that, imo. It just turns into more frustration. I prefer to get the map completion done first, then I'll go around and explore and do events.

• Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2018

@sprhavkdogi.9408 said:
    I do not believe "waiting for the event" is an engaging way to explore a map

The game is already full of waiting for this and waiting for that (collection events) I agree it is not fun but unfortunately it's a widely used timesink in GW2 and probably not going to be changed.

• Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2018

Actually this ain't so new. In Heart of Thorns we had points in the middle of poison (where you need a mastery for) or the meta event to be in bosses kill phase (Verdant Brink). And whats map completion over there knowing you can't solo most Hero Points there.

P.s. You can access that poi in Kourna you mention in another way (when no event runs), something with a panel in a rock ;)

• @Aaralyna.3104 said:
    the meta event to be in bosses kill phase (Verdant Brink).

There are at least 3 ways to get everywhere in the canopy using a combination of jumping, bounce shrooms, and updrafts. Mastery-based exploration does not bother me one bit. After all, the masteries are intended to be a way to give us horizontal progression and new ways to explore, much like how Kourna locks a few pois behind using the beetle.

• Red Haired Savage.5430Red Haired Savage.5430 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Aaralyna.3104 said:

P.s. You can access that poi in Kourna you mention in another way (when no event runs), something with a panel in a rock ;)

Are the inquest leaving their front door key under the welcome-mat again?

#nornmodeisbestmode

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.