Can't salvage or sell on the TP: Exquisite Black Diamond Jewel

You can salvage a black diamond ring and obtain an exquisite black diamond jewel. But, you can't get the black diamond out of it, salvage it, or sell it on the trading post.

Can anybody (especially someone from ArenaNet) please explain why not? It's trivial to take a stone out of a setting in real life.

Inculpatus: I know that. I'm asking WHY. Or, rather, why can't I at least salvage it (or get the black diamond instead of the jewel in the first place).

Azizul: Seems odd, but it could be their logic. Sad, if true.

Drecien: It's a black diamond JEWEL, not a black diamond.

The Op has a point.. there are a few items that drop or given as rewards that include Jewel upgrades.The items are soulbound, which is understandable to protect the requirement to purchase the expansions to gain new stat combo's, but why are some items salvageable to obtain the jewel, which in turn you then exchange for the base gem for crafting and some are not. I am of the opinion ANET forgot a few of the items in the trinket list that had the same jewel combo's.

@Daddicus.6128 said:Inculpatus: I know that. I'm asking WHY. Or, rather, why can't I at least salvage it (or get the black diamond instead of the jewel in the first place).

I thought the jewel could be swapped for the diamond at that vendor?

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:Inculpatus: I know that. I'm asking WHY. Or, rather, why can't I at least salvage it (or get the black diamond instead of the jewel in the first place).

OP is not talking about a drop, but the jewel upgrade crafted to make exotic Viper's trinkets.

To OP: none of the jewels are salvageable, unfortunately. The same thing happens with any other account bound stat jewel, like Celestial.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:The Op has a point.. there are a few items that drop or given as rewards that include Jewel upgrades.The items are soulbound, which is understandable to protect the requirement to purchase the expansions to gain new stat combo's, but why are some items salvageable to obtain the jewel, which in turn you then exchange for the base gem for crafting and some are not. I am of the opinion ANET forgot a few of the items in the trinket list that had the same jewel combo's.

I HOPE that this is true, because then there's hope they fix it. I sure with they would respond to this kind of question.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@"Daddicus.6128" said:Inculpatus: I know that. I'm asking WHY. Or, rather, why can't I at least salvage it (or get the black diamond instead of the jewel in the first place).

Yes, the "black diamond" gemstone can be, but the "exquisite black diamond jewel" is the crafted gemstone plus a setting piece.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

OP is not talking about a drop, but the jewel upgrade crafted to make exotic Viper's trinkets.

To OP: none of the jewels are salvageable, unfortunately. The same thing happens with any other account bound stat jewel, like Celestial.

I thought that might be the case. But, you can sell the lower-tier ones on the trading post, I think.

Logically, it makes no sense. My wife has to go to a jeweler every few years to keep her diamond in its setting. It should be trivial to remove them. But, I suppose it would be trivial to turn a copper ingot back into ore in real life, and you can't do that in-game, either. It just seems a shame: the black diamonds were very expensive, but now they're almost worthless, because someone put some metal around them.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

I thought that might be the case. But, you can sell the lower-tier ones on the trading post, I think.

Logically, it makes no sense. My wife has to go to a jeweler every few years to keep her diamond in its setting. It should be trivial to remove them. But, I suppose it would be trivial to turn a copper ingot back into ore in real life, and you can't do that in-game, either. It just seems a shame: the black diamonds were very expensive, but now they're almost worthless, because someone put some metal around them.

It would not be trivial to turn copper back into ore and there isn't anyone that would want to anyway since that would involve reversing the extraction process and then also somehow squishing it back together with rocks.

What is really crazy is the handling of cloth ...

That actually isn't true.. some of the drops can be salvaged and the jewels then taken for exchange.. but not all, it's not consistent across them all unfortunately

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@"Daddicus.6128" said:Inculpatus: I know that. I'm asking WHY. Or, rather, why can't I at least salvage it (or get the black diamond instead of the jewel in the first place).

That actually isn't true.. some of the drops can be salvaged and the jewels then taken for exchange.. but not all, it's not consistent across them all unfortunately

Nothing that salvages into a Exquisite Black Diamond Jewel like the OP mentions.The items that can be traded for a regular Black Diamond i Amnoon are

• Grey Market Black Diamond - the strange non-crafting mat drop originally called "Black Diamond", later removed from drop table.
  • Mournstone - apparently originally called Black Diamond, dropped - not salvaged.
  • Brandspark Jewel - crafted and dropped, according to wiki not salvaged from drops.
  • Sunset Jewel - salvaged from various drops, among them several trinkets from Specialization Collections.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

You can't devolve a copper ingot back into ore, it's not trivial or even feasible. On the other hand, if your wife has to return to the jeweler every few years to keep her diamond in it's setting I'd say someone got ripped off...and expertly placed diamond in a good setting will not come out nor get loose within a few years, it will be at least10 - 15 if not longer before it might need to be reset, and that's speaking from experience, for what it's worth.

Nothing that salvages into a
Exquisite Black Diamond Jewel
like the OP mentions.The items that can be traded for a regular Black Diamond i Amnoon are
  • Grey Market Black Diamond - the strange non-crafting mat drop originally called "Black Diamond", later removed from drop table.
  • Mournstone - apparently originally called Black Diamond, dropped - not salvaged.
  • Brandspark Jewel - crafted and dropped, according to wiki not salvaged from drops.
  • Sunset Jewel - salvaged from various drops, among them several trinkets from Specialization Collections.

There are several trinkets that drop with Brandspark or Sunset Jewel upgrades that cannot be salvaged and therefore cannot be exchanged for Black Diamonds.. that is what I am talking about, not salvaging down a trinket with an Exq Black Diamond Jewel.. come to think of it I don't even recall seeing one of those drop anyway

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

like the OP mentions.The items that can be traded for a regular Black Diamond i Amnoon are

There are several trinkets that drop with Brandspark or Sunset Jewel upgrades that cannot be salvaged and therefore cannot be exchanged for Black Diamonds.. that is what I am talking about, not salvaging down a trinket with an Exq Black Diamond Jewel.. come to think of it I don't even recall seeing one of those drop anyway

I think we've managed to talk completely around each other, because I can't see how what you're talking about is relevant to the OP's dilemma.

My comment about "none of the jewels are salvageable" was to state that you can't salvage any jewel itself into its parts. It had nothing to do with the aquisition of said jewel.

I think we've managed to talk completely around each other, because I can't see how what you're talking about is relevant to the OP's dilemma.

My comment about "none of the jewels are salvageable" was to state that you can't salvage any jewel itself into its parts. It had nothing to do with the aquisition of said jewel.

If you read through.. the Op realises you cansalvage the trinket, get the jewel and exchange them.. rather than salvage them.. but some trinkets from PoF wont allow you to salvage to get the jewel and therefore not able to obtain the Black Diamond.. that was what I was saying.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

If you read through.. the Op realises you cansalvage the trinket, get the jewel and exchange them.. rather than salvage them.. but some trinkets from PoF wont allow you to salvage to get the jewel and therefore not able to obtain the Black Diamond.. that was what I was saying.

But the jewel the OP talks about is not one that can be exchanged. It's the regular jewel for making exotic Viper trinkets.

But the jewel the OP talks about is
not
one that can be exchanged. It's the regular jewel for making exotic Viper trinkets.

Yes its a Vipers's trinket component - Black Diamond.. which you either get as a lucky drop or from salvaging the Exotic trinkets for the Jewels and then exchanging them in Amnoon for the Black Diamonds... but some of the trinkets are just not salvageable even though they have the same jewel upgrades - - at this point we are just going round in circles though.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

You can't devolve a copper ingot back into ore, it's not trivial or even feasible. On the other hand, if your wife has to return to the jeweler every few years to keep her diamond in it's setting I'd say someone got ripped off...and expertly placed diamond in a good setting will not come out nor get loose within a few years, it will be at least10 - 15 if not longer before it might need to be reset, and that's speaking from experience, for what it's worth.

OK, I might have exaggerated it downwards with "every few years". We've been married 34 years, and I think she had to bring it in once, and then brought it in one other time, just to be safe.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:But the jewel the OP talks about is
not
one that can be exchanged. It's the regular jewel for making exotic Viper trinkets.

Yes its a Vipers's trinket component - Black Diamond.. which you either get as a lucky drop or from salvaging the Exotic trinkets for the Jewels and then exchanging them in Amnoon for the Black Diamonds... but some of the trinkets are just not salvageable even though they have the same jewel upgrades - - at this point we are just going round in circles though.

But no! They are not the same thing!This is what we're talking about! Always account bound, only crafted, never dropped. Only thing you can salvage it from is crafted trinkets that were made with it!

It really has no relation at all to the PoF stuff except those items can be exchanged for the gemstone Black Diamond tha this made from.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:But the jewel the OP talks about is
not

But
no!
They are not the same thing!
is what we're talking about! Always account bound, only crafted, never dropped. Only thing you can salvage it from is
crafted trinkets that were made with it
!

It really has no relation at all to the PoF stuff except
those
items can be exchanged for the
gemstone
Black Diamond tha this made from.

Yes I know the recipe .. and it requires a Black Diamond... We already provided a clear reason why a crafted soulbound item was not salvageable to protect the need to purchase the expansion.What was then offered was a way to obtain those same Black Diamonds in game from salvaging PoF trinkets and exchanging the jewels in Amnoon for the Black Diamond and then craft your Viper's gear... I merely said that actually some of those trinkets are inconsistent in that some can be salvaged for the jewels and some can't.There is no confusion here, it was simply about offering other ways to obtain the base item (black diamond) the OP wanted as he/she cant salvage the crafted item for reasons already stated.

Archived