Newbie playing Mirage vs Holosmith got wrecked...

Yeldo.4576

Hi I just started to get into pvp and I liked to play mirage but I got stomped by this holosmith, I have no idea how.

I know Im not good but I was doing literally nothing, as I kept trying to apply condi on him he was cleansing everything, all the time no damage and I was getting almost oneshot....

Is there any tips that you can advise me?

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mirage_-_Carrion_Ineptitude

I was using this build... How should I engage the fight? I try to use all my shatters and get clones to attack him and shater but it wasnt doing any damage :/ I only use F1/2/4 barely use the 3

Pretend it's a reaper. Kite them in holo form; kill them in human form. Or rather; be very careful about not getting burst in holo form.

They cleanse up to 3 condies when dropping out of holo form. You should use your interupts (F3, sword ambush auto, ...) to interupt the heal and various other skills. You should mostly use your shatters as defensive blind, altho most of them are decent offensively too. Be careful of getting CC'd with lasers and holodisk pulls. Those are often used to set up burst.Learn to make effective use of your dodges; they do a LOT. Damage; stunbreak, cleanse, interupt, mobility and dodge. Holo is mostly a melee class which you have more mobility over; abuse it when needed. It's OK to take some distance when they're in holo form if you're low on CDs.

Holo has more cleanse than they used to, but you should be able to overwhelm them fairly quickly.

Also forget metabattle, use godsofpvp.net instead. When people say condi mirage is OP, they're talking about the updated build (which uses axe & pistol and not staff). This one is months old and kinda outdated. At least for EU; between 1500 and 1700 I have seen barely any staff mirages; and a LOT of axe mirages. Staff is safer and kites more easily; but it loses a LOT of pressure / burst compared to axe.

@Etheri.5406 said:Pretend it's a reaper. Kite them in holo form; kill them in human form. Or rather; be very careful about not getting burst in holo form.

They cleanse up to 3 condies when dropping out of holo form. You should use your interupts (F3, sword ambush auto, ...) to interupt the heal and various other skills. You should mostly use your shatters as defensive blind, altho most of them are decent offensively too. Be careful of getting CC'd with lasers and holodisk pulls. Those are often used to set up burst.Learn to make effective use of your dodges; they do a LOT. Damage; stunbreak, cleanse, interupt, mobility and dodge. Holo is mostly a melee class which you have more mobility over; abuse it when needed. It's OK to take some distance when they're in holo form if you're low on CDs.

Holo has more cleanse than they used to, but you should be able to overwhelm them fairly quickly.

Also forget metabattle, use godsofpvp.net instead. When people say condi mirage is OP, they're talking about the updated build (which uses axe & pistol and not staff). This one is months old and kinda outdated. At least for EU; between 1500 and 1700 I have seen barely any staff mirages; and a LOT of axe mirages. Staff is safer and kites more easily; but it loses a LOT of pressure / burst compared to axe.

Wow thank you so much!!!!

Also if its not asking too much, I was told mirage is getting hard nerf next week with the balance patch.

Id like to have a alt for pvp, what else is really good for 1v1/team damage pvp?

Nobody knows if mirage is getting a nerf; but I hope so. Even when nerfed, I assume mirage will still have viable options for PvP. I'd be very suprised if they did not.Mirage is a duellist / roamer more than a teamfight DPS. These are different things.

Strictly meta, I guess warrior and holosmith are both pretty good. Warrior is a better duellist by far; holosmith is more of a DPS and favored in (small) team fights.There are decent soulbeast duellist / roaming builds. There are also druid 1v1 builds, which are stronger 1v1 but don't really do much damage. Same goes for weaver builds.

Then there are quite a few "roaming" builds which can 1v1 to some extent but mostly aim to provide burst or damage. Some of them are more memesy than others, and most of them require some practise to be proficient with. (Power rev, hammer vanilla meme guard, ...)

In my opinion; you don't have "an alt for pvp". If you don't know what to play; you should try around. The best way to learn how to beat holosmith is to make a level 2 engi, slap on the PvP build and play a bunch. Sure you'll get rekt 5-10 games having no idea what you're doing; but by the 10th game you'll kill a bunch of players. And the next time you fight a holo you'll know what he's trying to do; you know what to interupt and dodge and you won't get lasered in the face.

And if you dislike the holo? Delete the engi, create another level 2 class and repeat. It's the biggest advantage GW2 pvp has.

• 2 months later...

make a engie take to unranked play holo, see what it can do. Ofc holo will one shot you if you went in glass cannon build on a class you are not good at. Change runes to undead for the stater.

The build has a staff for a reason. Start staff3, dodge+staff1, save staff2 to get out of leap if not quick enough, use staff4.

Was the Engineer running hardlight arena? While that skill is up, it's better to just save your skills for it to be over since it converts condis to boons, making your condition skills useless. It also has lots of protection. What you do, you interrupt their Corona burst, and then just spam all your skills while trying to get some cc in there to stop him from getting a Corona burst hit out. Ezpz.

@Bossun.2046 said:Was the Engineer running hardlight arena? While that skill is up, it's better to just save your skills for it to be over since it converts condis to boons, making your condition skills useless. It also has lots of protection. What you do, you interrupt their Corona burst, and then just spam all your skills while trying to get some cc in there to stop him from getting a Corona burst hit out. Ezpz.

Not always. That requires anticorrosion plating to happen, which is conversion holo. Conversion holo is not super common, and their burst is lower. They make up for it by being a bit beefier, but not by a huge margin. In condi metas, conversion holo is king. In power metas, like the current one, static holo is king.

That said, a smart holo can use HLA to reduce condi damage/cleanse condi damage -- HLA is a light field. Blasting light fields cleanses conditions. Leaping through them grants light aura, which reduces condi damage. Throw in the cleanse from exiting PF... and you can do a hearty amount of cleanse.

Just kite/dodge the super fancy animated abilities and you are fine.You can quite easily tell which of the holosmiths abilities hurts and not by the look of them.

A holosmith can generally use 1 rotation of abilities before he almost overheats. He have room for a few auto attacks before he have to switch back to normiemode.If he dodges(vents heat) while in holo he can throw in 1 more big punch from either 3,4,5 before he needs to switch back.

Most common combo for small spikes is 3 (2part AoE, channel->boom) and jump with 2 when 3 is about to go off.Its the fastest burst they can deal which might be harder to react to. You can tell which of the other attacks hurts alot quite easily.

Archived