Extremely disappointed in the way some ArenaNet writers think about their playerbase

This will probably get deleted to hide it all under the rug, but those of you who follow Reddit probably already know the way some* ArenaNet writers express themselves about GW2 fans, anyone who criticizes the story writing was branded a "rando asshat" (quote from the writer) and "sexist" for "telling her how to do her job", when all we do is offer feedback in a respectful manner, not force it or push it, this is how little they think about the community.

Although it was posted on her personal twitter it wasn't posted in a private account, it was posted in public with an account identified as "ArenaNet Narrative team.", I'd like to know if ArenaNet condones this kind of verbal harassment before I decide if I will continue playing this game.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh come on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think some people are taking this a little too seriously. People and pc today, they act like it personally affects their lives if some1 has their own opinion. She never POINTED anyone specific out. Some people are just way too sensitive. It doesn't affect the players game time in anyway, so everyone keep chiving on and playing the game as you normally do.

@"Tasida.4085" said:Oh come on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think some people are taking this a little too seriously. People and pc today, they act like it personally affects their lives if some1 has their own opinion. She never POINTED anyone specific out. Some people are just way to sensitive. It doesn't affect the players game time in anyway, so everyone keep chiving on and playing the game as you normally do.

I think she did. She literally quoted some guy's tweet with a caption of something like "A day in the life of a female game developer: someone telling me how to do my job" or some such.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@"Tasida.4085" said:Oh come on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think some people are taking this a little too seriously. People and pc today, they act like it personally affects their lives if some1 has their own opinion. She never POINTED anyone specific out. Some people are just way to sensitive. It doesn't affect the players game time in anyway, so everyone keep chiving on and playing the game as you normally do.

I think she did. She literally quoted some guy's tweet with a caption of something like "A day in the life of a female game developer: someone telling me how to do my job" or some such.

This. She did directly quote the guy, Twitter name and all.

@Leo G.4501 said:

Guess I skimmed over that bit. And that persons' life is just gonna be changed forever now I suppose (for the worst) NOT!!!!! OH THE HORRORS (100% sarcasm there)......smh

@Tasida.4085 said:

@Tasida.4085 said:Oh come on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think some people are taking this a little too seriously. People and pc today, they act like it personally affects their lives if some1 has their own opinion. She never POINTED anyone specific out. Some people are just way to sensitive. It doesn't affect the players game time in anyway, so everyone keep chiving on and playing the game as you normally do.

And that persons' life is just gonna be changed forever now I suppose (for the worst). SMH

I'm not disagreeing with you about blowing this whole situation out of proportion, just pointing out that she did point the guy out specifically.

It's kind of funny because on these forums, it is enforced that you can't call out people like that but I suppose not even all the devs agree with all the rules enforced here.

Why are you throwing all Anet writers under the bus, for one devs actions on her Twitter account? She didn’t ask for an opinion, she stated an observation. She could’ve replied better, sure, but she didn’t actually ask for an opinion. Doesn’t really matter if it’s public or not, it’s her personal Twitter account, she can act how she likes on it. And guess what, Anet will decide how to handle it, not us on the forum.Her best option, would have been to not reply at all.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Why are you throwing all Anet writers under the bus, for one devs actions on her Twitter account? She didn’t ask for an opinion, she stated an observation. She could’ve replied better, sure, but she didn’t actually ask for an opinion. Doesn’t really matter if it’s public or not, it’s her personal Twitter account, she can act how she likes on it. And guess what, Anet will decide how to handle it, not us on the forum.Her best option, would have been to not reply at all.

Good. Now enforce that mentality across all of Twitter so people's lives and career aren't ruined because of crap vomited out on a platform literally meant to vomit out 250 character messages. I'll wait.

But seriously, it goes both ways. If she said something mean or immature into the public space, she deserves every roasting she's going to get for it, just like all those before her.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Why are you throwing all Anet writers under the bus, for one devs actions on her Twitter account? She didn’t ask for an opinion, she stated an observation. She could’ve replied better, sure, but she didn’t actually ask for an opinion. Doesn’t really matter if it’s public or not, it’s her personal Twitter account, she can act how she likes on it. And guess what, Anet will decide how to handle it, not us on the forum.Her best option, would have been to not reply at all.

Good. Now enforce that mentality across all of Twitter so people's lives and career aren't ruined because of crap vomited out on a platform literally meant to vomit out 250 messages. I'll wait.

But seriously, it goes both ways. If she said something mean or immature into the public space, she deserves every roasting she's going to get for it, just like all those before her.

You seriously need to read my posts better. She’ll get disciplinary action for this.(“And guess what, Anet will decide how to handle it, not us on the forum.”)(”Her best option, would have been to not reply at all”)

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

Good. Now enforce that mentality across all of Twitter so people's lives and career aren't ruined because of crap vomited out on a platform literally meant to vomit out 250 messages. I'll wait.

You seriously need to read my posts better. She’ll get disciplinary action for this (
“And guess what, Anet will decide how to handle it, not us on the forum.”
)

You're misunderstanding left and right, huh? I don't think she should be disciplined for crap on Twitter either, but there are people who are far more successful than J Price that have lost everything (from CEO positions to Sitcoms) because of crap on Twitter or are being prosecuted for accusations because of crap (that is likely untrue) on Twitter. If that happened to other people in recent news, what makes J Price special and should be protected from the same backlash?

Whilst I'd say the reaction was overly strong, I also think it's grossly unfair any of the team should have to be subjected to any professional criticism on their own private/personal social media accounts. I have vocally spoken out against some of the issues I have had with the writing, but I keep here on the official forums where it belongs and where they can take on board my nagging feedback or throw it in the bin. Taking any such thing to someone's personal twitter, FB or whatever kids use these days is just unacceptable.

ANET should set the example. This is not a unique situation. I have felt rather disdained when talking face-to-face with ANET devs.

I felt like garbage after being hastily brushed off by one high level staffer.

I will say that other staff have been pretty cool. They were personable and have a real passion for the game.

@Randulf.7614 said:Whilst I'd say the reaction was overly strong, I also think it's grossly unfair any of the team should have to be subjected to any professional criticism on their own private/personal social media accounts. I have vocally spoken out against some of the issues I have had with the writing, but I keep here on the official forums where it belongs and where they can take on board my nagging feedback or throw it in the bin. Taking any such thing to someone's personal twitter, FB or whatever kids use these days is just unacceptable.

It's not a private account. It's specifically and expressly public. If she doesn't want to hear from anyone she can set it to private, instead she ripped the poor sap a structurally superfluous new behind and accused them of mansplaining and all sorts of histrionic nonsense

@Leo G.4501 said:

You seriously need to read my posts better. She’ll get disciplinary action for this (
)

You're misunderstanding left and right, huh? I don't think she should be disciplined for crap on Twitter either, but there are people who are far more successful than J Price that have lost everything (from CEO positions to Sitcoms) because of crap on Twitter or are being prosecuted for accusations because of crap (that is likely untrue) on Twitter. If that happened to other people in recent news, what makes J Price special and should be protected from the same backlash?

I’m not saying she should be protected from backlash. She is getting a lot of it. The difference is, her Twitter is directly affiliated with Arena Net, and it’s a bad image.Any other nobody that used the same tactic she did deserves backlash, however, she can still act how she likes on her Twitter account. She will see the repercussions very soon I imagine.Is this easier for you to understand? Blimey, it’s difficult communicating with some forum users.

@Sime.3681 said:Seriously, you are creating drama over something the dev posted on her PERSONAL TWITTER. PERSONAL. Reported for harassing.

Anything you post on the internet isnt personal, especially if it has on there any information regarding your job. Those of us in the military(at least my group) was taught to keep their opinions to themselves over political matters on the internet. Sure some dont, but they /do/ get in trouble for it, because its a publicly viewable space.

People have lost their jobs over things they have posted on facebook for this exact same reason, or very similiar reasons. Now i /hope/ that doesnt happen here honestly, but rudeness is rudeness and a publicly viewable person should be careful with what they say, and if not they should be prepared for the backlash.

That is of course my opinion.

@Tasida.4085 said:

@Tasida.4085 said:Oh come on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think some people are taking this a little too seriously. People and pc today, they act like it personally affects their lives if some1 has their own opinion. She never POINTED anyone specific out. Some people are just way to sensitive. It doesn't affect the players game time in anyway, so everyone keep chiving on and playing the game as you normally do.

Guess I skimmed over that bit. And that persons' life is just gonna be changed forever now I suppose (for the worst). OH THE HORRORS......smh

It's still inappropriate behavior for a professional to stoop down to that person's level. Every professional get told by clients, customers, business partners, random ppl on the street or internet how to do their job and keep doing their jobs whit out whining about being told how to do it by someone who is not their boss. I hope this is taken into account during her next salary review or contract renewal negotiation. If you have a shitty day at work you ask to leave 30 min early and go for a pint or a yoga or whatever makes you feel better.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

)

I’m not saying she should be protected from backlash. She is getting a lot of it. The difference is, her Twitter is directly affiliated with Arena Net, and it’s a bad image.Any other nobody that used the same tactic she did deserves backlash, however, she can still act how she likes on her Twitter account. She will see the repercussions very soon I imagine.Is this easier for you to understand? Blimey, it’s difficult communicating with some forum users.

But that's the thing: she can't. She cannot act how she likes on her Twitter BECAUSE of backlash. That is the whole point I'm trying to make in how people react to social media. It's no longer just some thing you can post or tweet whatever on. It's regulated, monitored and quickly spreads to a degree that if you do ANYTHING that either your educational institution, your congregation, your employer or business partners can see will have an effect thus you can't do what you like on your account, only what you're allowed to do.

And it's not that diffiult to communicate with forum users. I find I can convey my messages quite well when I'm on a keyboard.

@Dante.1763 said:Those of us in the military(at least my group) was taught to keep their opinions to themselves over political matters on the internet. Sure some dont, but they /do/ get in trouble for it, because its a publicly viewable space.

It's a good thing I just hate social media, I don't have to police what I put on the internet (as much...)

Archived