Extremely disappointed in the way some ArenaNet writers think about their playerbase — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Extremely disappointed in the way some ArenaNet writers think about their playerbase

Alukah.2063Alukah.2063 Member ✭✭
edited July 5, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

This will probably get deleted to hide it all under the rug, but those of you who follow Reddit probably already know the way some* ArenaNet writers express themselves about GW2 fans, anyone who criticizes the story writing was branded a "rando kitten" (quote from the writer) and "sexist" for "telling her how to do her job", when all we do is offer feedback in a respectful manner, not force it or push it, this is how little they think about the community.

Although it was posted on her personal twitter it wasn't posted in a private account, it was posted in public with an account identified as "ArenaNet Narrative team.", I'd like to know if ArenaNet condones this kind of verbal harassment before I decide if I will continue playing this game.

<1

Comments

  • Tasida.4085Tasida.4085 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018

    Oh come on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think some people are taking this a little too seriously. People and pc today, they act like it personally affects their lives if some1 has their own opinion. She never POINTED anyone specific out. Some people are just way too sensitive. It doesn't affect the players game time in anyway, so everyone keep chiving on and playing the game as you normally do.

    (NOBL) rocking GW's since 2005, still rocking Sorrow's Furnace :P

  • Tasida.4085Tasida.4085 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2018

    @Leo G.4501 said:

    @Tasida.4085 said:
    Oh come on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think some people are taking this a little too seriously. People and pc today, they act like it personally affects their lives if some1 has their own opinion. She never POINTED anyone specific out. Some people are just way to sensitive. It doesn't affect the players game time in anyway, so everyone keep chiving on and playing the game as you normally do.

    I think she did. She literally quoted some guy's tweet with a caption of something like "A day in the life of a female game developer: someone telling me how to do my job" or some such.

    Guess I skimmed over that bit. And that persons' life is just gonna be changed forever now I suppose (for the worst) NOT!!!!! OH THE HORRORS (100% sarcasm there)......smh

    (NOBL) rocking GW's since 2005, still rocking Sorrow's Furnace :P

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018

    Why are you throwing all Anet writers under the bus, for one devs actions on her Twitter account? She didn’t ask for an opinion, she stated an observation. She could’ve replied better, sure, but she didn’t actually ask for an opinion. Doesn’t really matter if it’s public or not, it’s her personal Twitter account, she can act how she likes on it. And guess what, Anet will decide how to handle it, not us on the forum.
    Her best option, would have been to not reply at all.

    The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018

    @Leo G.4501 said:

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:
    Why are you throwing all Anet writers under the bus, for one devs actions on her Twitter account? She didn’t ask for an opinion, she stated an observation. She could’ve replied better, sure, but she didn’t actually ask for an opinion. Doesn’t really matter if it’s public or not, it’s her personal Twitter account, she can act how she likes on it. And guess what, Anet will decide how to handle it, not us on the forum.
    Her best option, would have been to not reply at all.

    Good. Now enforce that mentality across all of Twitter so people's lives and career aren't ruined because of kitten vomited out on a platform literally meant to vomit out 250 messages. I'll wait.

    But seriously, it goes both ways. If she said something mean or immature into the public space, she deserves every roasting she's going to get for it, just like all those before her.

    You seriously need to read my posts better. She’ll get disciplinary action for this.
    (“And guess what, Anet will decide how to handle it, not us on the forum.”)
    (”Her best option, would have been to not reply at all”)

    The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Whilst I'd say the reaction was overly strong, I also think it's grossly unfair any of the team should have to be subjected to any professional criticism on their own private/personal social media accounts. I have vocally spoken out against some of the issues I have had with the writing, but I keep here on the official forums where it belongs and where they can take on board my nagging feedback or throw it in the bin. Taking any such thing to someone's personal twitter, FB or whatever kids use these days is just unacceptable.

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Sime.3681Sime.3681 Member
    edited July 4, 2018

    Seriously, you are creating drama over something the dev posted on her PERSONAL TWITTER. PERSONAL. Reported for harassing.

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018

    @Leo G.4501 said:

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:

    @Leo G.4501 said:

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:
    Why are you throwing all Anet writers under the bus, for one devs actions on her Twitter account? She didn’t ask for an opinion, she stated an observation. She could’ve replied better, sure, but she didn’t actually ask for an opinion. Doesn’t really matter if it’s public or not, it’s her personal Twitter account, she can act how she likes on it. And guess what, Anet will decide how to handle it, not us on the forum.
    Her best option, would have been to not reply at all.

    Good. Now enforce that mentality across all of Twitter so people's lives and career aren't ruined because of kitten vomited out on a platform literally meant to vomit out 250 messages. I'll wait.

    But seriously, it goes both ways. If she said something mean or immature into the public space, she deserves every roasting she's going to get for it, just like all those before her.

    You seriously need to read my posts better. She’ll get disciplinary action for this (“And guess what, Anet will decide how to handle it, not us on the forum.”)

    You're misunderstanding left and right, huh? I don't think she should be disciplined for kitten on Twitter either, but there are people who are far more successful than J Price that have lost everything (from CEO positions to Sitcoms) because of kitten on Twitter or are being prosecuted for accusations because of kitten (that is likely untrue) on Twitter. If that happened to other people in recent news, what makes J Price special and should be protected from the same backlash?

    I’m not saying she should be protected from backlash. She is getting a lot of it. The difference is, her Twitter is directly affiliated with Arena Net, and it’s a bad image.
    Any other nobody that used the same tactic she did deserves backlash, however, she can still act how she likes on her Twitter account. She will see the repercussions very soon I imagine.
    Is this easier for you to understand? Blimey, it’s difficult communicating with some forum users.

    The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

  • Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭

    MY SNOWFLAKE IS MELTING!

    If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

  • Dreadshow.9320Dreadshow.9320 Member ✭✭✭

    @Tasida.4085 said:

    @Leo G.4501 said:

    @Tasida.4085 said:
    Oh come on. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think some people are taking this a little too seriously. People and pc today, they act like it personally affects their lives if some1 has their own opinion. She never POINTED anyone specific out. Some people are just way to sensitive. It doesn't affect the players game time in anyway, so everyone keep chiving on and playing the game as you normally do.

    I think she did. She literally quoted some guy's tweet with a caption of something like "A day in the life of a female game developer: someone telling me how to do my job" or some such.

    Guess I skimmed over that bit. And that persons' life is just gonna be changed forever now I suppose (for the worst). OH THE HORRORS......smh

    It's still inappropriate behavior for a professional to stoop down to that person's level. Every professional get told by clients, customers, business partners, random ppl on the street or internet how to do their job and keep doing their jobs whit out whining about being told how to do it by someone who is not their boss. I hope this is taken into account during her next salary review or contract renewal negotiation. If you have a kitten day at work you ask to leave 30 min early and go for a pint or a yoga or whatever makes you feel better.

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:

    @Leo G.4501 said:

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:

    @Leo G.4501 said:

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:
    Why are you throwing all Anet writers under the bus, for one devs actions on her Twitter account? She didn’t ask for an opinion, she stated an observation. She could’ve replied better, sure, but she didn’t actually ask for an opinion. Doesn’t really matter if it’s public or not, it’s her personal Twitter account, she can act how she likes on it. And guess what, Anet will decide how to handle it, not us on the forum.
    Her best option, would have been to not reply at all.

    Good. Now enforce that mentality across all of Twitter so people's lives and career aren't ruined because of kitten vomited out on a platform literally meant to vomit out 250 messages. I'll wait.

    But seriously, it goes both ways. If she said something mean or immature into the public space, she deserves every roasting she's going to get for it, just like all those before her.

    You seriously need to read my posts better. She’ll get disciplinary action for this (“And guess what, Anet will decide how to handle it, not us on the forum.”)

    You're misunderstanding left and right, huh? I don't think she should be disciplined for kitten on Twitter either, but there are people who are far more successful than J Price that have lost everything (from CEO positions to Sitcoms) because of kitten on Twitter or are being prosecuted for accusations because of kitten (that is likely untrue) on Twitter. If that happened to other people in recent news, what makes J Price special and should be protected from the same backlash?

    I’m not saying she should be protected from backlash. She is getting a lot of it. The difference is, her Twitter is directly affiliated with Arena Net, and it’s a bad image.
    Any other nobody that used the same tactic she did deserves backlash, however, she can still act how she likes on her Twitter account. She will see the repercussions very soon I imagine.
    Is this easier for you to understand? Blimey, it’s difficult communicating with some forum users.

    But that's the thing: she can't. She cannot act how she likes on her Twitter BECAUSE of backlash. That is the whole point I'm trying to make in how people react to social media. It's no longer just some thing you can post or tweet whatever on. It's regulated, monitored and quickly spreads to a degree that if you do ANYTHING that either your educational institution, your congregation, your employer or business partners can see will have an effect thus you can't do what you like on your account, only what you're allowed to do.

    And it's not that diffiult to communicate with forum users. I find I can convey my messages quite well when I'm on a keyboard.

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dante.1763 said:
    Those of us in the military(at least my group) was taught to keep their opinions to themselves over political matters on the internet. Sure some dont, but they /do/ get in trouble for it, because its a publicly viewable space.

    It's a good thing I just hate social media, I don't have to police what I put on the internet (as much...)

  • JustTrogdor.7892JustTrogdor.7892 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018

    Overall I think the whole thing got a bit overblown from all sides after reading the stuff on reddit. Let's hope that Anet staff can continue to work on quality writing and customers should not get into such a big fuss over some stuff posted on twitter. I've said things here that got me in to trouble, even suspended a few times over it. But I'd like to think overall I'm an okay person here as far as overall contributions and that is what matters more. I still want my rando kittenhat. That would be funny, a hat with a kitten on it that changes into random kittens. :D

    Edit: PS I typed the word "kitten" and was not trying to get around the language filter. :D

  • cadmiumgreen.8712cadmiumgreen.8712 Member ✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018

    @Leo G.4501 said:
    I think she did. She literally quoted some guy's tweet with a caption of something like "A day in the life of a female game developer: someone telling me how to do my job" or some such.

    I'd like to think she knows that's like every day for every job for men, women, and attack helicopters.

    Edit: I take that back. After seeing Kenagin's screenshot it seems like she woke up after a restful night sleeping on her bed of cactus and drank a morning cup of vitriol.

  • RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kenagin.3529 said:
    In case you guys don't know the guy she responds to is a respected content creator and he even has a NPC ingame.

    So? I don't really get why that matters.

    Oh look. I have a signature now.

  • GDchiaScrub.3241GDchiaScrub.3241 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @cadmiumgreen.8712 said:

    @Leo G.4501 said:
    I think she did. She literally quoted some guy's tweet with a caption of something like "A day in the life of a female game developer: someone telling me how to do my job" or some such.

    I'd like to think she knows that's like every day for every job for men, women, and attack helicopters.

    Apache attack helicopters only have to worry about fuel, not thin-skinned warmblooded sensitivities. How dare you assume our problems.

    D:

    Holy Warriors of [Kazo] following Kazo doctrine guided by, Our Lord and Commander, Zudo in the holy Trinity of Him and his two firm glutes.

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kenagin.3529 said:
    Overblown or not, it's not a proper way to represent the company you're working for. If it was a rando the whole stuff might not have been blown up. But calling out like that to someone who is doing a lot for the game is not the way i would like my employees to act.

    Also she's saying on her twitter that she only pretends to like us when she's on the clock. At least that's how I read it. (Twitter feed)

    Edit: removed screenshot link

    Well lucky for her, I don't even pretend to like the devs or the game, I simply am a reasonable individual who likes to have civil discussions.

  • RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kenagin.3529 said:

    @RoseofGilead.8907 said:

    @Kenagin.3529 said:
    In case you guys don't know the guy she responds to is a respected content creator and he even has a NPC ingame.

    So? I don't really get why that matters.

    Just imagine your a manager/boss and some of your employees act like that to a partner/customer. (Whether he/she knows it or not) I would definitely be upset.

    I just still don't see what his being a content creator really has to do with it. Her response was inappropriate, and it would still be inappropriate even if the person she said it to didn't have a following of fans/viewers.

    Oh look. I have a signature now.

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @SteepledHat.1345 said:

    @RoseofGilead.8907 said:
    Why are you throwing every other Anet writer in with this one particular writer?

    They hired her. Like it or not she represents them. If they're okay with this. They're condoning the behavior by virtue of association.

    Are you sure the other writers hired her? I would think that would be management, or at best, the Lead Writer. /shrug

  • @GDchiaScrub.3241 said:
    Apache attack helicopters only have to worry about fuel, not thin-skinned warmblooded sensitivities. How dare you assume our problems.

    D:

    That may be, but you still get told how to fire missiles by espresso machines that think they serve the hottest shots this side of a canon.

  • Tasida.4085Tasida.4085 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018

    All boils down to.....bring back tough skin. This thin skin is ruining society as a whole, and hopefully some of us will still refuse to ever be pc in r/l or game. Just move on and play the game and have fun. I'm sure there's a 12 step program out there somewhere that breaks the thin skin habit, keep looking and find the cure.

    (NOBL) rocking GW's since 2005, still rocking Sorrow's Furnace :P

  • RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @SteepledHat.1345 said:

    @RoseofGilead.8907 said:
    Why are you throwing every other Anet writer in with this one particular writer?

    They hired her. Like it or not she represents them. If they're okay with this. They're condoning the behavior by virtue of association.

    The other Anet writers did not hire her. The rest of the team is not responsible for what she said, and the rest of the team doesn't deserve to be lumped in with her. Also, this whole exchange just happened today, didn't it? On a major US holiday. I think they just haven't gotten around to dealing with it officially because no one is at work.

    Oh look. I have a signature now.

  • AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I don't have anything to say about this topic, but I was thinking "Rando Kitten" would make a heck of an NPC name for the next episode!

  • Leo G.4501Leo G.4501 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Batel.9206 said:

    @Leo G.4501 said:
    But that's the thing: she can't. She cannot act how she likes on her Twitter BECAUSE of backlash. That is the whole point I'm trying to make in how people react to social media. It's no longer just some thing you can post or tweet whatever on. It's regulated, monitored and quickly spreads to a degree that if you do ANYTHING that either your educational institution, your congregation, your employer or business partners can see will have an effect thus you can't do what you like on your account, only what you're allowed to do.

    Yeah, that's called accountability and professionalism. When you work for a company, you essentially become (one of) the public face(s) of that company. What you say reflects the company's policy as a whole.

    FYI, I don't disagree with you, I just feel there could have been a divide between people and their online identity. Because even if people hold harmful or racist or sexist, etc views, so long as they can hold that divide of "what they feel/think" and "what they do", who are we to restrict anyone in such a way? It's only in recent decades that people have this belief in "subconscious biases" that need to be changed rather than just give individuals responsibility to restrict themselves.

    I mean, the more freedoms you try to strip away from people, the more dangerous they become.

  • Kenagin.3529Kenagin.3529 Member ✭✭

    @Leo G.4501 said:

    @Kenagin.3529 said:
    Overblown or not, it's not a proper way to represent the company you're working for. If it was a rando the whole stuff might not have been blown up. But calling out like that to someone who is doing a lot for the game is not the way i would like my employees to act.

    Also she's saying on her twitter that she only pretends to like us when she's on the clock. At least that's how I read it. (Twitter feed)

    Edit: removed screenshot link

    Well lucky for her, I don't even pretend to like the devs or the game, I simply am a reasonable individual who likes to have civil discussions.

    Well, i like the game and the devs. I wouldn't stick for so long if I didn't like it. Just not always happy with their decisions. However whether she acts to like us or not is not really the point. I don't like the fact she's saying it, but how can i take her serious if she would ever post something about how much she loves the community. However she might just mean the people posting on her twitter feed.

    I'm trying to be reasonable as well, not calling out to fire her or anything like that. Really love most of the work she's doing. But an apology would be in place.

  • Airdive.2613Airdive.2613 Member ✭✭✭

    Why the dev hate, though?
    This seems like their personal matters to me. Even ANet developers are humans who can disagree in their free time.
    What she actually represents ANet with is content that's in the game. It would be silly to expect her to have no life besides GW 2.

  • Jojo.6140Jojo.6140 Member ✭✭✭

    Wow at how many people are currently getting upset because of two tweets ... guess theres nothing else to be upset about at the moment so people just choose some entries from a social media platform for it ... sigh

This discussion has been closed.
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.