Disappointment with Anet employee attacking their loyal playerbase

If you haven't yet, check reddit for a look at how a certain ANET writer treats their playerbase- us.

A respectful content creator for Guild Wars 2 replied to an ANET writer on a PUBLIC SOCIAL MEDIA OUTLET with respectful and thought out feedback on narrative, which was on topic.

Said ANET writer then turned around and attacked the content creator by calling him a rando hat and sexist for no defendable reason. The ANET writer then went further and basically said that anyone else like the content creator who doesn't agree with her is also an hat and sexist. She turned this into a gender issue of her own choice, filling her comments with manfeels, mainsplaining, sexism etc, and deleted comments that didn't agree with her.

She deserves every negative repercussion coming her way both from the playerbase and hopefully from ANET as well. Many other horrible people have made dumb choices using twitter and other social media recently, and have paid the price.

Hopefully ANET and their PR team are better than this and side with the person providing content for GW2 for free out of their love for the game than a paid shill who vulgarly and publicly attacks their playerbase and spouts how they're superior to all feedback.

EDIT: The first google result for "rando ***hat" is said employee's comment towards Deroir.

Professionalism matters. I really don't understand people discussing their profession with their company mentioned in their profile on personal accounts and somehow thinking it's acceptable to make the comments she made without consideration. My company certainly wouldn't allow that behavior.

@"Memoranda.9386" said:The smear campaign continues.

So shocked.

A "smear campaign" implies she did nothing wrong. She clearly hurled abuse and trash talk at content creators (one of which is an official Arenanet partner) in a public space and other employees of this company have come to join her. This isn't a "smear campaign", this is what happens when devs treat their fans like garbage in public.

Smear campaign?

If she hasn't done any of the things claimed feel free to let me know.Oh, except the things claimed are directly pulled from her twitter comments. The community has no need to make anything up when she is the one providing all the evidence against herself.

Not to mention that Deroir, the content creator on the receiving end of Jessica's tirade, has done more for Guild Wars 2 for free than said ANET employee has as a paid employee. Those defending the writer are truly on the wrong side of this.

@Discobizkit.6531 said:Professionalism matters. I really don't understand people discussing their profession with their company mentioned in their profile on personal accounts and somehow thinking it's acceptable to make the comments she made without consideration. My company certainly wouldn't allow that behavior.

Meh. Product matters to me since that will be proof of their actual working merit. It'd help perceptually if their rhetoric was more concise I'll give you that.

What I saw is that neither party rationalized what needed to be talked about, and referred to (scope). There was an AMA about scope of writing when it came to MMOs. A fan said suggested something that was probably out of scope. She lashed out, and didn't explain that important conflict of scope. Scope being that balance of content and budget. Branching paths, and more character choice for depth = more expense for customization but not necessarily adding game play.

Neither convinced me of anything, though.

D:

@Xenon.4537 said:

So shocked.

A "smear campaign" implies she did nothing wrong. She clearly hurled abuse and trash talk at content creators (one of which is an official Arenanet partner) in a public space and other employees of this company have come to join her. This isn't a "smear campaign", this is what happens when devs treat their fans like garbage in public.

When "a dev" treats their fans like garbage in public. I followed the thread and i didnt see any other developer "hurl abuse and trash talk" Nowhere near the lvls the main dev in question did.

@zealex.9410 said:

So shocked.

When "a dev" treats their fans like garbage in public. I followed the thread and i didnt see any other developer "hurl abuse and trash talk" Nowhere near the lvls the main dev in question did.

Another dev has been defending her. See "Here’s a bit of insight that I legitimately hope he reflects on: she never asked for his feedback" even though she posted her tirade in a public thread for all the world to see and anyone to reply to.

If anyone needs to reflect, it's him, and her.

To be fair, none of his posts are anywhere near as bad as hers, but when he decided to step into this situation, he potentially dragged the entire company with him.

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:

@Discobizkit.6531 said:Professionalism matters. I really don't understand people discussing their profession with their company mentioned in their profile on personal accounts and somehow thinking it's acceptable to make the comments she made without consideration. My company certainly wouldn't allow that behavior.

Meh. Product matters to me since that will be proof of their actual working merit. It'd help perceptually if their rhetoric was more concise I'll give you that.

What I saw is that neither party rationalized what needed to be talked about, and referred to (scope). There was an AMA about
scope
of writing when it came to MMOs. A fan said suggested something that was probably out of
scope
. She lashed out, and didn't explain that important conflict of
scope.
Scope being that balance of content and budget.
Branching paths, and more character choice for depth = more expense for customization but not necessarily adding game play.

D:

Fair enough. And I agree Anet's product is what keeps me coming back playing and buying gems but public perception is extremely important as well.

@Xenon.4537 said:

So shocked.

Another dev has been defending her. See "Here’s a bit of insight that I legitimately hope he reflects on: she never asked for his feedback" even though she posted her tirade in a public thread for all the world to see and anyone to reply to.

Imho she doesnt deserve defending but he felt that he was doing the right thing. His aproach was bad but he remained civil about it.

Again he didnt trash talk anyone.

@GDchiaScrub.3241 said:

What I saw is that neither party rationalized what needed to be talked about, and referred to (scope). There was an AMA about
scope
of writing when it came to MMOs. A fan said suggested something that was probably out of
scope
. She lashed out, and didn't explain that important conflict of
scope.
Scope being that balance of content and budget.
Branching paths, and more character choice for depth = more expense for customization but not necessarily adding game play.

D:

This.

@Xenon.4537 said:

So shocked.

To be fair, none of his posts are anywhere near as bad as hers, but when he decided to step into this situation, he potentially dragged the entire company with him.

The company was dragged the moment she responded the way she did.

She made a statement of FACT on how the writing process works at ArenaNet...that is not open for discussion, it is not her opinion on how it works. She also specifically said that she did not have to pretend to like him as an individual on her private account...if all of you equate with one person being told that she doesn't have to pretend to like that person then there's no hope for this world, she did not say she didn't have to pretend to like everyone...she specifically said him. Everyone needs to open up their minds and start thinking like this is 2018, the internet is out there and we should stop thinking what others think about us. The only person that matters is you to yourself, no one else matters...not your friends, not your parents, not your spouse, not your co-workers, not your superiors...absolutely no one...it's called self esteem and if you have it you can tell the world to screw off and mean it because the world does not matter.

I don't often partake in forums. I spend what limited free time I have in game. However in this case I am making an exception. The actions by the employee of Anet towards their customer, someone who is an active member of the community, were absolutely shameful. I applaud the player's very mature handling of the situation. Anet, you owe them an apology.

@Zaklex.6308 said:She made a statement of FACT on how the writing process works at ArenaNet...that is not open for discussion, it is not her opinion on how it works. She also specifically said that she did not have to pretend to like him as an individual on her private account...if all of you equate with one person being told that she doesn't have to pretend to like that person then there's no hope for this world, she did not say she didn't have to pretend to like everyone...she specifically said him. Everyone needs to open up their minds and start thinking like this is 2018, the internet is out there and we should stop thinking what others think about us. The only person that matters is you to yourself, no one else matters...not your friends, not your parents, not your spouse, not your co-workers, not your superiors...absolutely no one...it's called self esteem and if you have it you can tell the world to screw off and mean it because the world does not matter.

She shared her opinion that you cant make a compeling player character in an mmorpg for x yand z reasons. That can be agreed on or not.

Archived