Tyrian Service Medal defend temple of Batlh bugged

Like the title says, did the temple of Balthazar meta event were you defend the temple, got nothing. Some people in the zerg got the medal others didn't. This is the only item I'm missing and is seemingly on a 2 hour time span. Can you check it please? Thank you.

tl;dr bring a higher damage build, focus on the High Priest, and join a party with people who are doing a lot of damage.This allows you to get in enough damage to trigger credit.

The event and the collection are "working as intended." The issue is that isn't intuitive to people. To get collection credit for the defense event, you have to get participation credit for fighting the undead priest of Balthazar. People miss out for one of several reasons, which ultimately come down to: not doing enough damage to that particular NPC. The game's engine looks for a minimum amount (not a percentage), which is why it's typically triggered on a high-health boss (aka 'sponge') rather than any other mob.

When the event is typically fought, it's not hard to get credit. When it's popular, as it is shortly after a new collection pops up, the boss dies more quickly, given folks less time to find the target and dish out that minimum damage. That's more true since HoT and especially PoF launched, because lots of people have every high damage builds, so the fights are a lot quicker than they were when ANet first set them up.

To bypass all of that, here are some strategies:

• Bring a DPS build (support builds are very unlikely to do enough damage).
  • Join a party with DPS players. There's a formula that increases your contribution towards the "minimum" based on what the entire party does. (There's insufficient evidence for whether being in a squad does the same thing.)
  • Ignore all foes except the boss.
  • Be among the first to hit the boss.

All of the above also holds true for the other Orrian temples, for the Spider Queen (for the 3rd beetle collection), for the plague experiments (ditto), and for the access card that is dropped by the inquest researcher at the Kourna meta.

Sorry to intervene, but this is just your guess, not an official statement from Anet. I got the achievement when I wasn't in a group and hit the boss 2-3 times only, because I wanted the event to fail. Only when it was clear that the boss was going to die (it was at 30%), I hit him 2-3 times. That's all the participation that I did, and I got the credit.Other players report that someone also got the achievement being afk, so the damage doesn't seem a requirement for these events. It's quite obscure, and hard to say exactly what you have to do. The best bet so far, is to capture the temple (as written in the requirement).For other events, like the Kourna meta, they are good tips though.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:tl;dr bring a higher damage build, focus on the High Priest, and join a party with people who are doing a lot of damage.This allows you to get in enough damage to trigger credit.

I actually did it with one of my lowest damage characters. :Pbut it is also one that spits out a decent amount of boons so some of the damage from people I provided boon to also counts for meI also ressed a bunch of people which also gives event credit. It is possible to get event credit from this alone. A friend did this to get one of the DS achievements back before he got the poison mastery. He just stayed at the entrance and ressed all the other people who didn't have the mastery but ran in and got downed. :P

The event and the collection are "working as intended." The issue is that isn't intuitive to people. To get collection credit for the defense event, you have to get participation credit for fighting the undead priest of Balthazar. People miss out for one of several reasons, which ultimately come down to: not doing enough damage to that particular NPC. The game's engine looks for a minimum amount (not a percentage), which is why it's typically triggered on a high-health boss (aka 'sponge') rather than any other mob.

Actually for event credit in general you must kill an enemy. Enough damage to an enemy will not help if that enemy is still alive at the end of the event if you haven't gotten at least credit for one or two mobs as well. Often but not always any mob inside the event circle is good enough. Sometimes it actually needs to be a mob that is part of the event.

In the balth defense there is no priest of balthazar or at least none that I saw when I did it last night. There were a bunch of champions.

When the event is typically fought, it's not hard to get credit. When it's popular, as it is shortly after a new collection pops up, the boss dies more quickly, given folks less time to find the target and dish out that minimum damage. That's more true since HoT and especially PoF launched, because lots of people have every high damage builds, so the fights are a lot quicker than they were when ANet first set them up.

To bypass all of that, here are some strategies:

• Bring a DPS build (support builds are very unlikely to do enough damage).
  • Join a party with DPS players. There's a formula that increases your contribution towards the "minimum" based on what the entire party does. (There's insufficient evidence for whether being in a squad does the same thing.)
  • Ignore all foes except the boss.
  • Be among the first to hit the boss.

All of the above also holds true for the other Orrian temples, for the Spider Queen (for the 3rd beetle collection), for the plague experiments (ditto), and for the access card that is dropped by the inquest researcher at the Kourna meta.

@"Urud.4925" said:Sorry to intervene, but this is just your guess, not an official statement from Anet.Of course it's not an official statement. But, it's based on actual statements from ANet about how event credit works and trial & error, specifically trying to get credit with the least effort and trying to avoid getting credit with the most effort. (Not just me, others have posted their controlled tests with this, too).

I got the achievement when I wasn't in a group and hit the boss 2-3 times only, because I wanted the event to fail. Only when it was clear that the boss was going to die (it was at 30%), I hit him 2-3 times. That's all the participation that I did, and I got the credit.Yes, that can and will happen. You don't need a lot of damage; you just need enough. Some people bring builds that do 10-20x more damage than others and it doesn't matter most of the time; it only matters when (a) there's a drop that depends on this type of credit & (b) the event is super popular all of a sudden (so there are tons of people, across the spectrum of damage).

Other players report that someone also got the achievement being afk, so the damage doesn't seem a requirement for these events.Yes, that can happen because there are builds that do passive damage (retaliation on hit, pets, and so on).

It's quite obscure, and hard to say exactly what you have to do.Yes, it's obscure, but no, it's not hard to say what works.I can't promise that I know all the possible ways to work around the mechanic; I'm only saying that joining a group, doing more damage, and focusing on the key target early enough will help those who have trouble.

For folks such as yourself, who aren't having trouble, it's not an issue.

The best bet so far, is to capture the temple (as written in the requirement).The "capture" requirement was changed for legendary collections years ago; defense events have counted since that time, for all collections (except, as noted, for Melandru, where there are two events that can happen, with the identical name, so it's impossible to tell which defense event is up).

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Urud.4925 said:Other players report that someone also got the achievement being afk, so the damage doesn't seem a requirement for these events.Yes, that can happen because there are builds that do passive damage (retaliation on hit, pets, and so on).I got the Grenth medal while afk, sitting on a springer high above the battlefield of the defense event. I was playing on a ranger without any enemy or ally affecting signets or traits. Also, no pet, as I was mounted.

(I didn't mean to afk it, the event started and ended when I was taking a 3 minute bathroom break after waiting for almost 2 hours.)

I've done the event three times and was even afk one time on accident. Never recieved credit for it and its the last one I need to complete the achievement. Seriously, all the world bosses and orr temples gave me credit after the first try so don't know why Balth would behavior any differently.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Urud.4925" said:Sorry to intervene, but this is just your guess, not an official statement from Anet.Of course it's not an official statement. But, it's based on actual statements from ANet about how event credit works and trial & error, specifically trying to get credit with the least effort and trying to avoid getting credit with the most effort. (Not just me, others have posted their controlled tests with this, too).

I got the achievement when I wasn't in a group and hit the boss 2-3 times only, because I wanted the event to fail. Only when it was clear that the boss was going to die (it was at 30%), I hit him 2-3 times. That's all the participation that I did, and I got the credit.Yes, that can and will happen. You don't need a lot of damage; you just need enough. Some people bring builds that do 10-20x more damage than others and it doesn't matter most of the time; it only matters when (a) there's a drop that depends on this type of credit & (b) the event is super popular all of a sudden (so there are tons of people, across the spectrum of damage).

Other players report that someone also got the achievement being afk, so the damage doesn't seem a requirement for these events.Yes, that can happen because there are builds that do passive damage (retaliation on hit, pets, and so on).

It's quite obscure, and hard to say exactly what you have to do.Yes, it's obscure, but no, it's not hard to say what works.I can't promise that I know all the possible ways to work around the mechanic; I'm only saying that joining a group, doing more damage, and focusing on the key target early enough will help those who have trouble.

For folks such as yourself, who aren't having trouble, it's not an issue.

The best bet so far, is to capture the temple (as written in the requirement).The "capture" requirement was changed for legendary collections years ago; defense events have counted since that time, for all collections (except, as noted, for Melandru, where there are two events that can happen, with the identical name, so it's impossible to tell which defense event is up).

I just did Dwayna (defending) on a minion master Necromancer. My character and six minions. I hit the priestess several times and I did NOT get credit. What better build do you suggest? What should I have done better?

Just stop defending ArenaNet, these temple events are very buggy. They always have been and ArenaNet isn't interested in solving the issues. What is fine, it is old content, but they should really stop making it part of new achievements. I will create a support ticket and I will continue doing this as I really had it with this nonsense.

@"Rose Solane.1027" said:I just did Dwayna (defending) on a minion master Necromancer. My character and six minions. I hit the priestess several times and I did NOT get credit. What better build do you suggest? What should I have done better?"minion master" tells us the sort of build you were running. It doesn't tell us the sort of DPS you were doing. In theory, it should be fine.We also don't know the context of "hit the priestess several times". When the hits take place can matter.

As I suggested above, join a party. Everyone's damage then counts towards the threshold, so your personal damage is much less important.

Just stop defending ArenaNet,I'm not defending ANet. I'm explaining what experience (and ANet) has told us about how credit works. The idea is to get your credit now (or at least soon), rather than waiting for ANet to change anything.

these temple events are very buggy. They always have beenIn fact, no, they aren't buggy. The mechanic isn't intuitive and that leads to frustration because people end up without credit, without any in-game feedback as to what they could have done differently

and ArenaNet isn't interested in solving the issues.That also isn't true. First, they have adjusted how kill-credit works, including allow some aspects of support to contribute to the threshold. Unfortunately, it's still necessary to do some damage; it just doesn't have to be as much as it used to be.

What is fine, it is old content,There are several dilemmas, including that people prefer new content over old:

• The mechanic is fundamental to the game. It's not all that easy to change.
  • The problem is temporary: when the popularity of the events goes back to how it was 3 weeks ago, this won't matter as much. What other QoL improvements should ANet give up to work on this, when the effect is limited?
  • If the threshold is too low, it becomes far easier to leech or AFK, which is also frustrating.

but they should really stop making it part of new achievements.You forget that it's not just happening with the Orrian Temples. It's also an issue with e.g. the Access Card that drops when one of the bosses dies in the Kourna meta. People are also having trouble getting kill credit for that, for what appears to be the same reasons.

I will create a support ticket and I will continue doing thisThat seems sensible. Regardless of whether one can adjust play style to make things work, at best, the mechanic will always be non-intuitive to some people and it's going to continue to result in player frustration. The more feedback ANet gets, the better

as I really had it with this nonsense.

I am really sorry that this isn't working the way you would hope. Anything that slows down one enjoyment of the game is worth taking another look at.

tl;dr evidence suggests that the mechanic is working as intended, but how it's intended isn't in the least obvious to most people. There are ways to work around it and my goal is to offer those tips, so that no one is depending on ANet to change something any time soon, and instead they can progress their collection/achievement today, if not tomorrow.

Archived