GW 2 Devs/Playerbase Twitter Discussion - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

GW 2 Devs/Playerbase Twitter Discussion

Comments

• michelada.2947michelada.2947 Member ✭✭✭

i'm afraid that anet devs will be even more silent after this incident, communication need to be on both sides

• Pyroen.2086Pyroen.2086 Member ✭✭

I don't believe They needed to be fired. To be clear, I Believe what they said was horrendous and needed to be examined. Jessica was clearly out of touch with the community. I believe helping marginalized groups is important and I also believe overreacting and claiming sexism was irresponsible not just as an arena net dev but as an advocate for equality. It would have helped if they had been given an opportunity to correct themselves. That being said I'm sorry that Mo had to make this decision and I'm sorry that Deroir and Inks were met with confrontation when they are some of the biggest and helpful members of our community. At the end of the day Anet has the right to do what they believe is best for the company. I hope the 2 devs have success on their future pursuits.

• I doubt she'll learn from this incident (and it's clear from the many posts in this thread that the blame is already shifting), but thank you nonetheless for standing up for your customers.

• All things considered I'm glad that the matter was taken care of. A bad shade was thrown on you and women alike by the unrelated discussion (dare I say argument) that was opened up at such a large scale. Exchanging opinions should be possible to be done freely and you took a step into the right direction with this decision. Kudos.

• I'm sad that Price had to be let go, but firing Peter Fries is shocking. An employee should never be punished for sticking up for a coworker when facing a backlash on social media -- even if said coworker is in the wrong. This'll have a horrible affect on your work environment in the long run.

• morrolan.9608morrolan.9608 Member ✭✭✭

@Mike O Brien.4613 said:
    Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

Whilst I understand your position with Jessica Price I think Peter fries being sacked is rather ridiculous. He didn't 'attack' anyone he merely supported Jessica Price and rather mildly at that.

• Funky.4861Funky.4861 Member ✭✭✭

Painful though it was, the right decision was made. Neither misandry nor misogyny should be tolerated, especially in full public view. I suspect that JP would not back down from her stance and that is wht got her fired. ANET are a compassionate company who i like to believe gave JP several options. This is of course just my opinion; JP is obviously talented or she wouldn't have been hired in the first place. Her reply to Deroir's post put ANET in a really awkward position; i'm glad to see that ANET didn't tolerate her very obvious and alienating sexism.

• Ephemiel.5694Ephemiel.5694 Member ✭✭✭

@Tasida.4085 said:

@Mike O Brien.4613 said:
    Recently two of our employees failed to uphold our standards of communicating with players. Their attacks on the community were unacceptable. As a result, they’re no longer with the company.

I want to be clear that the statements they made do not reflect the views of ArenaNet at all. As a company we always strive to have a collaborative relationship with the Guild Wars community. We value your input. We make this game for you.

Mo

Can we now have all related threads closed now please. Although I disagree with the discipline PLEASE close all the the aggravating threads on this subject and let it fade into obscurity.

Yeah, let's allow the fact that people like this exist fade into obscurity.

• Irokou.3215Irokou.3215 Member ✭✭
    edited July 5, 2018

I think this is actually quite simple. Employees should not fear expressing their opinion but MUST do so in a tactful manner. If you uphold yourself in a spiteful and imposing demeanor for months if not years on end, you provide a negative impression upon your company and put your own employment at risk. Some people simply must realize that this delusional mindset of "I am innocent because of minority status" is in many cases a scapegoat for denying one's own wrongdoings. Be an adult and own up to your actions and mistakes rather than posing as a tyrant on the internet.

• starhunter.6015starhunter.6015 Member ✭✭✭

@FearTheOyster.5138 said:
    I'm sad that Price had to be let go, but firing Peter Fries is shocking. An employee should never be punished for sticking up for a coworker when facing a backlash on social media -- even if said coworker is in the wrong. This'll have a horrible affect on your work environment in the long run.

Sorta of agree, but fired for sticking up no. But should be held accountable and reprimanded yes. Then given a second chance.

• @narcx.3570 said:
    I'm kinda bummed she got fired... I mean, she was in the wrong here, but so was that guy.

She should have been more professional yes, but it's still ANOTHER day where I have to see the men's rights activist crowd get a win. I live in America and I have to see this type of stuff oozing out of the White House everyday--it sucks that it invaded my sweet sanctuary of videah games too.

How was that guy in the wrong?

• cmpgamer.9628cmpgamer.9628 Member ✭✭

MO did the right thing. Take gender and work experience out of the equation. Would you want to keep an employee who explodes at simple criticisms and questions? Imagine if she was a waitress and acted that way to you because you asked to have your steak medium-well.

• Lunateric.3708Lunateric.3708 Member ✭✭✭

I'm glad this was handled swiftly and decisively, I'm also glad the whole situation brought us as a community together, specially over Reddit.

• tekfan.3179tekfan.3179 Member ✭✭✭

I'm glad Arenanet is upholding a certain standard in community interaction.
    I've been playing this game since the beta and never before have I seen such a unprofessional behaviour from a dev.
    For the future I'm looking forward to the usual interaction with professional individuals.

• XxsdgxX.8109XxsdgxX.8109 Member ✭✭✭

Outstanding ANET :+1:

• @Mike O Brien.4613 said:

Mo

You are the best Mo!!!~ Thank you <3

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2018

@michelada.2947 said:
    i'm afraid that anet devs will be even more silent after this incident, communication need to be on both sides

Communication sure.. but there's a big difference communication and abuse.. the latter is very easy to avoid tbh.. well for most people.

• Mel.8734Mel.8734 Member ✭✭

@Tasida.4085 said:

@Mel.8734 said:

@Mike O Brien.4613 said:

Mo

Please also take a good look at this employe:
    https://i.imgur.com/vXbH8BN.png

Uh huh just someone stirring the pot...AGAIN. This was back in March anyway and it seems everyone has been happily playing the game since then. Has it affected your personal game play in any way since then? NO.........ignore the posting and move on.

3 months is hardly a long time ago. If it were 3 years ago I might be able to let it slide. But 3 months? no way.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.