idea: Gemstore intendant

What if there was a gemstore intendant NPC somewhere, who could give us an endless amount of the non-exchangeable, infinite-use, gemstore items that we already bought?

This would allow to get that Salvage-o-Matic or Endless Mining Tool that we paid so high on more than one character at a time, or destroy that Magic Carpet that we don't use anymore with the reassurance that we can always get it back later.

Not needed and ANet certainly isn’t going to hand out multiple copies of gem store items when account wide inventory slots make items available to all your chars. If you don’t have any I recommend you get them for your copper fed and your harvesting tools.

For your permanent harvesting tools, put them in the slots. Equip your char with regular harvesting tools. At the beginning of the play session click on the permanent tools in the account wide slots. That will put the permanent tools on the char and the regular tools in the account wide slots. At the end of the play session click on the regular tools to put the permanent tools back on the account wide slots.

Edit: grammar

@ROMANG.1903 said:What if there was a gemstore intendant NPC somewhere, who could give us an endless amount of the non-exchangeable, infinite-use, gemstore items that we already bought?

This would allow to get that Salvage-o-Matic or Endless Mining Tool that we paid so high on more than one character at a time, or destroy that Magic Carpet that we don't use anymore with the reassurance that we can always get it back later.

While your suggestion has merit, there's no way that Arena Net will do this... I mean like everything in here, all your problems can be solved by throwing more gems at them, by buying more bank slots, more shared inv slots, or just duplicates of those items.

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

@"ROMANG.1903" said:What if there was a gemstore intendant NPC somewhere, who could give us an endless amount of the non-exchangeable, infinite-use, gemstore items that we already bought?

While your suggestion has merit, there's no way that Arena Net will do this... I mean like everything in here, all your problems can be solved by throwing more gems at them, by buying more bank slots, more shared inv slots, or just duplicates of those items.

On the other side, gemstore items would have more value if they were account-wide, in turn generating more purchases. Why would I buy a harvesting tool that requires constant turns in my bank across all characters if I want to optimize it? Making these items account-wide would simply remove the "go through bank" step.

I am sorry but I'm not paying 25 bucks in addition to my first 30 bucks purchase just to be able to use it on all characters slightly more easily. The process isn't even automatic! You still have to drop it in the inventory slot each time you swap character, and go through long and frustrating loading times should you forget doing it. But seriously, even if it was automatic, this should be baseline with the gathering tool, not an additional purchase.

@ROMANG.1903 said:

@ROMANG.1903 said:What if there was a gemstore intendant NPC somewhere, who could give us an endless amount of the non-exchangeable, infinite-use, gemstore items that we already bought?

On the other side, gemstore items would have more value if they were account-wide, in turn generating more purchases. Why would I buy a harvesting tool that requires constant turns in my bank across all characters if I want to optimize it? Making these items account-wide would simply remove the "go through bank" step.

I am sorry but I'm not paying 25 bucks in addition to my first 30 bucks purchase just to be able to use it on all characters slightly more easily. The process isn't even automatic! You still have to drop it in the inventory slot each time you swap character, and go through long and frustrating loading times should you forget doing it. But seriously, even if it was automatic, this should be baseline with the gathering tool, not an additional purchase.

people do this already tho so are you willing to add a 20x the price on everything to have it on all your characters. ( ofcourse retroactivly so if you have a set of gem tools now you will lose all gold turned in to gems and go on zero profit untill its paid off)I know the guyws with 20+ characters slots certainly would.But being below 10 as most I dont think U would want it that way.

@ROMANG.1903 said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, mind you... Just being realistic, and explaining you this is not likely to happen, because for one, if you read the rest of the post, there's a lot of people that will blindly buy everything Arena Net throws on the gemstore, regardless of it's intrinsic value (see mountfits). Not only that, but that's already a stream of revenue, and it's also not a trivial matter to make this change knowing that there's people with already several Salvage-o-matics, several sets of infinite gathering tools, etc.There was even some people wanting refunds for their extra items of this sort when they introduced shared inventory, imagine if your idea was made real...

@ROMANG.1903 said:

Yes but this additional value would need to be reflected in their price, which would mean that the current pricing becomes unsustainable thus it would increase. Not sure how many people would be willing to spend x amount times more on certain items.

That's also not how this type of monetization works. In reality the way it works is:

• there is a big pool of players who will never spend money on gems or gem store items. These players are of no value when something like a limitless mining pick increases its price from 1,000 gems to 5,000 gems

• there is a fraction of players which will spend a limited amount of money on gems and gem store items. These players will be price sensitive meaning while they might buy 1 limitless mining pick at 1,000 gems, increasing the price to say 5,000 gems would potentially out price these players thus declining in revenue.

• there is a tiny fraction of players who are little to not price sensitive and will/can purchase as many gems as they want (so called whales). While convenience of owning just 1 limitless mining pick for all characters might be enticing, this type of player will most likely already have purchased multiple mining picks for his characters potentially spending more than 5,000 gems total. Again a potential loss in revenue would occur.

The theory that more people will buy something due to its higher value/convenience while nice on paper, usually does not apply the same way to digital goods. The price increase from 1,000 gems to 5,000 gems was hypothetical. A realistic price increase might be higher or lower depending on the loss in revenue which results.

@ROMANG.1903 said:I am sorry but I'm not paying 25 bucks in addition to my first 30 bucks purchase just to be able to use it on all characters slightly more easily. The process isn't even automatic! You still have to drop it in the inventory slot each time you swap character, and go through long and frustrating loading times should you forget doing it. But seriously, even if it was automatic, this should be baseline with the gathering tool, not an additional purchase.

No one is forcing you to. Obviously you are price sensitive about how much you spend on the game which is fine. You are asking for more convenience without adapting the cost though. If you are unwilling to spend an extra 25 bucks for a shared inventory slot I doubt you'd be willing to pay the increased price for permanent gathering tools which are available to all characters.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Yes but this additional value would need to be reflected in their price, which would mean that the current pricing becomes unsustainable thus it would increase. Not sure how many people would be willing to spend x amount times more on certain items.

That's also not how this type of monetization works. In reality the way it works is:
  • there is a big pool of players who will never spend money on gems or gem store items. These players are of no value when something like a limitless mining pick increases its price from 1,000 gems to 5,000 gems
  • there is a fraction of players which will spend a limited amount of money on gems and gem store items. These players will be price sensitive meaning while they might buy 1 limitless mining pick at 1,000 gems, increasing the price to say 5,000 gems would potentially out price these players thus declining in revenue.
  • there is a tiny fraction of players who are little to not price sensitive and will/can purchase as many gems as they want (so called whales). While convenience of owning just 1 limitless mining pick for all characters might be enticing, this type of player will most likely already have purchased multiple mining picks for his characters potentially spending more than 5,000 gems total. Again a potential loss in revenue would occur.

The theory that more people will buy something due to its higher value/convenience while nice on paper, usually does not apply the same way to digital goods. The price increase from 1,000 gems to 5,000 gems was hypothetical. A realistic price increase might be higher or lower depending on the loss in revenue which results.

@ROMANG.1903 said:I am sorry but I'm not paying 25 bucks in addition to my first 30 bucks purchase just to be able to use it on all characters slightly more easily. The process isn't even automatic! You still have to drop it in the inventory slot each time you swap character, and go through long and frustrating loading times should you forget doing it. But seriously, even if it was automatic, this should be baseline with the gathering tool, not an additional purchase.

No one is forcing you to. Obviously you are price sensitive about how much you spend on the game which is fine. You are asking for more convenience without adapting the cost though. If you are unwilling to spend an extra 25 bucks for a shared inventory slot I doubt you'd be willing to pay the increased price for permanent gathering tools which are available to all characters.

I am not suggesting a price increase in return for the additionnal usefulness of the tools. A thing that costs 25 bucks should have that feature baseline. It's a premium item. The tools are already shareable through all characters, making us able to make free copies of it would simply make the process faster. As for the case of people who already bought multiple harvest tools... There will always be a loss of value on some items with new contents. What are all my glider skins worth now that I have the griffon?

And they already did it with harvesting tools skins... People who bought multiple times the same tool paid the same price as if they had bought different tools, they now have only one tool skin while others people who paid the exact same price have several skins, and there was no compensation. If we could simply make copies of the tools, why not also compensate people who bought more than one tool, in turn also compensating people who "lost" a tool skin in the recent changes?

@ROMANG.1903 said:

I am not suggesting a price increase in return for the additionnal usefulness of the tools. A thing that costs 25 bucks should have that feature baseline. It's a premium item. The tools are already shareable through all characters, making us able to make free copies of it would simply make the process faster. As for the case of people who already bought multiple harvest tools... There will always be a loss of value on some items with new contents. What are all my glider skins worth now that I have the griffon?

Considering the griffon is not a strait upgrade to gliding (griffons can't use updrafts, need space to mount, are way harder to navigate due to their wider turn arcs) your gliding skins are of just as much value as before.

You can make any suggestion you want, know this though: making a suggestion which will only negatively impact the games revenue is a lot less likely to get implemented than one which shifts the revenue flow.

You might feel that adding free of cost utility and convenience is justified, the games developers might not. Why should they, it's what they make their living off of and finance big chunks of the games development which get rolled out free of charge.

And they already did it with harvesting tools skins... People who bought multiple times the same tool paid the same price as if they had bought different tools, they now have only one tool skin while others people who paid the exact same price have several skins, and there was no compensation. If we could simply make copies of the tools, why not also compensate people who bought more than one tool, in turn also compensating people who "lost" a tool skin in the recent changes?

People who bought multiple tools still have the functionality of multiple infinite tools and the relevant upgrades are still singular. You are correct that people who own multiple of the same tool are disadvantaged cosmetically (while retaining the infinite functionality though). At the same time, this change encourages people to buy multiple different tools for the cosmetic affect. Something which until now was of a lot less interest.

I think you are smart enough to see the difference in your suggestion (which will mostly bring a net loss in revenue) to the change made to harvesting tools.

You mean like a wardrobe and shared Inv slot combine? I mean I would not mind infinite keys but I doubt that will happen. Everything that needs to be shared can be done through shared Inv slot or the wardrobe. As for deleting for space you reached the max bank, max character slot with max Inv slot and max shared Inv slots? If not buy an upgrade also would be nice to have infinite of those but yeah won't happen. Would cut into sales too much anyway.

Archived