How do you count your auto-attacks?

saloja.7920

Hi!

Most, if not all, auto-attacks in this game seem to be back loaded, meaning that they pack the most punch in the final strike. For this reasons most guides suggest not clipping auto-attack chains even if a more important skill comes off cooldown.

How do you, my fellow engineers, count your auto-attacks so as to not clip away damage? Do you look at the button picture changing or the little progress bar? Do you count the total time like 1 (one thousand) 2 (one thousand) 3 (one thousand) etc? Or do you just KNOW, you know?

Surely it can't be looking at the animation, because especially in a group setting it's all just a blur of thunderbolts and lightning.

@saloja.7920 said:How do you, my fellow engineers, count your auto-attacks so as to not clip away damage? Do you look at the button picture changing or the little progress bar? Do you count the total time like 1 (one thousand) 2 (one thousand) 3 (one thousand) etc? Or do you just KNOW, you know?

You can either count the total time, pay attention to the animations or the casting time. Most auto attacks have their third attack chain with a longer cast time.

The only auto attack chain I use is holo #1

The animation is quite obvious I feel but I've been playing for about 5 years (with a wee break) so it stands out to me... Oh or sword if I'm using enhanced capacity (grandmaster trait #2) over 100% heat as it gets a 20% dmg bonus.

If visibility is the problem, watch the #1 skill art as it changes. You'll soon notice that the third hit has a longer cast than the first two, which you can use to time other skills.

In the mean time, learn what skill you have that don't interrupt others. For Eg. Surprise shot on the toolbelt (from rifle turret) will not interrupt the auto attach chain.

Hammer's big swing makes it pretty easy for a vulnerability counter - left, right, BOOMKAJAJALMAMBALALALAALA. I use pistol / shield on my holo, because I love pistol / shield, so no counting there unless I want something bleeding from all its holes.

Someday I'll throw a sword in there, but for now I enjoy my playstyle immensely so I'm not gonna switch it up.

Not being flip here, but go attack a combat dummy or PvE in an open world area for a solid afternoon and just try to develop a feel for them. It's the only way you're going to do it so that later on blobs won't matter as much, because just how you arrive at gauging your autos is going to be something specific to you and your play style. Part audio, visual, and associated muscle memory.

Archived